• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I have also started watching MIU404 recently, and yeah, it's pretty good. As was Unnatural but I watched that a while ago.

Netflix's J-Drama collection is pretty good at this point, it's kind of weird to have actual streaming services now providing J-Drama and not having to rely as much on sporadic fansubs.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The state of J-Drama currently is really disappointing. Subs of the more popular recent J-drama aren't that hard to find but older or more niche shows can be difficult to obtain.

Finding raws can be even more difficult. Would gladly pay for a service that has a wide range of current/classic J-Drama.

Even classics like Long Vacation, Great teacher Onizuka 98, Hana dango or Hero aren't accessible.

Would love to rewatch series like Trick or Densha sometime. For a short while Amazon subbed Dr X but that only lasted 1 season.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for coming-of-age dramas preferably with female protagonist? The only J-dramas I have seen are Terrice House, The Grapes of Joy, and this one from the 80s I watched with a city pop discord. I want to get into more J-dramas, but I don't know where to start.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for coming-of-age dramas preferably with female protagonist? The only J-dramas I have seen are Terrice House, The Grapes of Joy, and this one from the 80s I watched with a city pop discord. I want to get into more J-dramas, but I don't know where to start.

Nobuta wo Produce. I haven't watched it since eternity but I remember the show fondly. It also has great soundtracks.
It's an old show, I don't know where you can watch it but fan subs.

There is also a show on Amazon called "Tokyo Girl". I don't know if I would call it a coming of age, but it tells a story of a girl in different phases of her life seeking fulfillment and a place to belong to.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Or

Personally I enjoyed Nobuta wo Produce and Stand Up!!. Hana Yori dango for some reason isn't listed as a coming of age series but the main character goes from a student to mother in the span of the series/movie

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The state of J-Drama currently is really disappointing. Subs of the more popular recent J-drama aren't that hard to find but older or more niche shows can be difficult to obtain.

Finding raws can be even more difficult. Would gladly pay for a service that has a wide range of current/classic J-Drama.

Even classics like Long Vacation, Great teacher Onizuka 98, Hana dango or Hero aren't accessible.

Would love to rewatch series like Trick or Densha sometime. For a short while Amazon subbed Dr X but that only lasted 1 season.
Indeed. Sometimes I even need to resort to machine translation sub, like Hatsukoi no Akuma (which has great cast and yet ignored by subbers) that I just finished watching last weekend. It's quite depressing, tbh.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Coming of age is quite common in asadora (morning drama), but they're like hundreds of episodes long and a lot of them are not subbed.

As for my recommendations, try these:

- Orange Days
- Honey and Clover
- Fight Song
- Uchi no Musume wa, Kareshi ga Dekinai!!

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
GTO 1998.

My favorite J-Drama and one of my favorite tv shows ever is getting a sequel:
www.oricon.co.jp

反町隆史主演『GTO』26年ぶり復活 伝説の教師・鬼塚英吉再び「今このタイミングで復活することに意味がある」

ニュース| 1998年の夏に放送された俳優・反町隆史主演の連続ドラマ『GTO』が、26年ぶりに、新作スペシャルドラマとして復活することが15日、決定した。2024年春にカンテレ・フジテレビ開局65周年特別ドラマ『GTOリバイバル』として放送される。現在49歳の反町は「今の年齢で鬼塚役をやることの意味と責任を感じながら、『GTO』を応援して下さるファンの方々の期待を裏切らないよう作っていきたいと思います!」と力強く語っている。 『GTO』は、藤沢とおる氏による同名漫画が原作で、元暴走族の高校教師・鬼塚英吉が、破天荒な行動で生徒や学校の問題に体当たりでぶつかっていく学園ドラマ。1998年の放...

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
About a year late but I started watching "First Love" on Netflix. The production values are really good and I find it pretty cute.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017

Netflix is producing another new J-drama called "Beyond Goodbye".
Starring Kasumi Arimura and Kentaro Sakaguchi.

Saeko suddenly loses her fiancé Yusuke in a traffic accident. As she tries to overcome her grief, she meets Naruse, a man who strangely reminds her of Yusuke. Little did she know that Naruse had received Yusuke's heart a few months prior to their encounter—a heart still in love and holding all the memories of Yusuke and Saeko's relationship.

This is cool since I'm pretty sure it'll have good production values at least, like "First Love". It seems Netflix has definitely been making more of an effort to get older dramas and to produce more original J-content now.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finished "First Love"

The story had some typical drama coincidences but I thought the performances were good and the cinematography was pretty phenomenal. I wonder what the budget was on this because it feels like Netflix went all out. I also think it did really well viewership wise so hopefully they'll invest even more in dramas, besides the one I posted above.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Netflix is producing another new J-drama called "Beyond Goodbye".
Starring Kasumi Arimura and Kentaro Sakaguchi.

Saeko suddenly loses her fiancé Yusuke in a traffic accident. As she tries to overcome her grief, she meets Naruse, a man who strangely reminds her of Yusuke. Little did she know that Naruse had received Yusuke's heart a few months prior to their encounter—a heart still in love and holding all the memories of Yusuke and Saeko's relationship.

This is cool since I'm pretty sure it'll have good production values at least, like "First Love". It seems Netflix has definitely been making more of an effort to get older dramas and to produce more original J-content now.
Ooh interesting. They're being paired again just like in Soshite, Ikiru.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Netflix keeps adding more and more J-Drama, mostly TBS but also their own productions. Really becoming the go-to for J-Drama. Especially since they don't just focus on romcom's like Viki does and have a decent variety of stuff.

Also, they are doing a weekly broadcast of the live-action Takagi-san, first two eps are out now, next one on Monday: https://www.netflix.com/title/81729961

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Huh, I didn't realise this was even a thread until now - though I've been making a thread here and there until now.

I feel J-drama fans are eating very well at the moment; some amazing content in the past 12 months, VIVANT, Trillion Game, and a bunch of others - would be very keen to get this thread popping again and get the word out!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I didn't realise this was even a thread until now - though I've been making a thread here and there until now.

I feel J-drama fans are eating very well at the moment; some amazing content in the past 12 months, VIVANT, Trillion Game, and a bunch of others - would be very keen to get this thread popping again and get the word out!
I haven't watched a Japanese TV show in a long time. Is there anything good fun shows in recent years?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I haven't watched a Japanese TV show in a long time. Is there anything good fun shows in recent years?
Dunno when you last watched some J-dramas (and what), but my personal favorites of the past 3-4 years:
- Omameda Towako to Sannin ni Motootto (大豆田とわ子ち三人の元夫)
- Toki wo Kakeruna, koibitotachi (時をかけるな、恋人たち)
- Brushup Life (ブラッシュアップライフ)
- Conte ga hajimaru (コントが始まる)
- Hakozume (ハコヅメ)

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
There's a few from Kurita above; Netflix have also been getting really good at it these days, the two I mentioned are both on that service already, along with several other TBS drama. Personally I would suggest a few like:

- Tokyo MER
- MIU404
- Unnatural
- DCU: Deep Crime Unit
- VIVANT

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Unnatural is coming soon to Netflix (at least in Japan, but I assume it'll also be available worldwide) btw, and there's a movie called Last Smile coming out this summer that takes place in the same universe as Unnatural and MIU404.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Unnatural is coming soon to Netflix (at least in Japan, but I assume it'll also be available worldwide) btw, and there's a movie called Last Smile coming out this summer that takes place in the same universe as Unnatural and MIU404.
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a second season of Unnatural.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Discovered this website :
www.subtitlecat.com

subtitlecat.com

The cat that translates subtitles into all languages

This websites translates subtitles in English.
It's not perfect but it's much better than having no subtitles at all.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Just confirming this: Unnatural will be coming to Netflix on May 1st - MIU404 is already on there (at least in the UK)

On a side-note, for those who might be a fan of AIBOU (相棒), the new anime Go! Go! Loser Ranger! has the same composer and it really shows; some amazing music already in Ep.1 - worth a listen/watch!

For those who aren't aware of the show AIBOU, below is a neat little compilation of the Theme songs from each of the 21(!) season openings: the 'main' theme started from Season 3 (0:40), but they refine it up to Season 6 (1:46). Season 7 has a certain Snake Eater-vibe to it, and from Season 11 we start developing more into 'action movie' takes on the theme. Season 17 takes this to a dramatic conclusion, whereas 18 goes back to the theme's more playful roots. Season 20 brings back the slap-bass, with 21 seeing old faces return and the theme going back to it's early days, with the theme played by a trumpet + plunger mute. Also, congratulations for reading the most that AIBOU has ever been featured on this site lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Ghj9Em0SU

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The upcoming City Hunter on Netflix looks good. Though I am unclear as to whether it's a movie or series.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I noticed the first episodes of Extremely Inappropriate are on Netflix.

Funny series, not the biggest fan of the musical parts though. Looking forward to the next 5 episodes

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Came across My Undead Yokai Girlfriend the other day, I was mostly enjoying it but the backend felt really weird like there was a significant creative change and they suddenly had to rush an ending.
Ending was awful but I hope it gets another season at least.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Another simulcast on Netflix along with Takagi-san on Netflix this season:

Check out "Destiny" on Netflix

www.netflix.com

Watch Destiny | Netflix

When an estranged friend resurfaces after 12 years, a prosecutor starts connecting disjointed events to unveil the truth behind her father's tragic death.

This is a TV Asahi show and not a TBS show, so that's interesting. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination