black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like exactly the direction I didn't want the series to go, so I believe it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's not, though. It's greed and meeting bigger quarterly profits. A game like Ghost of Tsushima sold a shit ton and is in the same vein. The industry would be just fine without this bullshit but companies will still try.

Valhalla also sold very well. However GoT took 5 years to make. At best you are looking at a 3 year development cycle for the next AC game which leaves them with a massive hole in their portfolio. WD has largely been a disappointment. TD2 was a disaster. So they are left with AC and FC as their big franchises with R6S being the backbone of their portfolio. Considering the growth of the videogame industry over the last decade off the backs of mtxs/GaaS I think it's hard to argue against it from a business perspective.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This franchise was dead to me as a big AC fan a long time ago... After Ezio's games, Ubisoft just stopped making fun ACs for me
But I bet after seig this Ezio is rolling in his grave hahahahahahaha

:|

:(

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not, though. It's greed and meeting bigger quarterly profits. A game like Ghost of Tsushima sold a shit ton and is in the same vein. The industry would be just fine without this bullshit but companies will still try.
Ghosts straight up has a regularly updated multiplayer mode with timed events that maintains interest in the title while they worked on the $20 expansion, $30 if you want the native PS5 version since you can't buy the native version unless it's the Director's Cut that includes the expansion. SP is in on the game too. Very few developers are releasing game and not maintaining interest post release in not just the base game but also the IP. Hell God of War was a rare exception if only because the scale of what they wanted to do post release would've resulted in a Lost Legacy release.

That's the current state of the industry with multiple publishers having their own take on post release revenue and IP interest. JFO's devs didn't release a whole new challenge mode, free costumes, and new game+ primarily out of the goodness of the developer's hearts. It's all because titles like The Order 1886 don't really worth it from a finance standpoint.

Fuck this it seems like one by one all my favorite single player companies/studios turn to live service/multiplayer games.
Live service=/=multiplayer. Ex: the last three AC games were live service titles.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The AC live service is not surprising nor all that different from their current approach. Why so many here act like it's a big deal is beyond me?

On the other hand the abuser thing seems much more noteworthy. I wish the best for the employees putting up with that shit.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the comparison with Fortnite makes this sound like it will be a MP only game going forward.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for making sure I won't pay anywhere close to full price for this, Ubisoft. Good lookin' out.

After how bad Legion turned out to be I really have zero interest in keeping an AC game installed on my hard drive for six months waiting for unsatisfying "content drops". Especially if I'm asked to pay $70 up front to do so.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts straight up has a regularly updated multiplayer mode with timed events that maintains interest in the title while they worked on the $20 expansion, $30 if you want the native PS5 version since you can't buy the native version unless it's the Director's Cut that includes the expansion. SP is in on the game too. Very few developers are releasing game and not maintaining interest post release in not just the base game but also the IP. Hell God of War was a rare exception if only because the scale of what they wanted to do post release would've resulted in a Lost Legacy release.

That's the current state of the industry with multiple publishers having their own take on post release revenue.
None of that is anywhere near what this looks to be. Or anything like an R6:Siege or any game built around live service needs. Ghost isn't that. A crash isn't happening.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
This is extra disappointing after that tantalizing leak about the next AC being set in Samarkand during Timur Empire and you following a character across their entire life again from slave child --> master assassin a la Ezio's story. I would have injected that straight into my veins. This... not so much. Also Ubisoft is an incredibly gross company with how they are handling sexual predators in the workplace.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
None of that is anywhere near what this looks to be.Or anything like an R6:Siege or any game built around live service needs.
The last three AC games are live service games if that gives you any indication of what they'd do with live service AC and how they would expand on that. I have no idea how we're as a community still stuck on the idea that live service only=multiplayer or multiplayer focus when we've had damn near half a decade of live service SP titles further and further testing the waters and defining how that could be profitable too.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
People pretending to hate live service games on principle is one of the holdovers from that era of "angry gamers" being the big thing on youtube. Or just an irrational dislike of a changing industry. You saw the same reactions when it was revealed that GTAVI won't have a map as static as GTAV's. Context or execution doesn't matter. "Live service"=immediate negativity unless it's for a game that people will outright deny is a live service title, like Spiderman. It's just a thing, like the irrational negativity towards FP perspective. 🤷‍♂️
There are plenty of reasons to dislike live service games. I liked Origins because they kept those features light but I thought they went too far with Odyssey. That game went too far with the mandatory grind of repeatitive boring side missions. What I'm surprised by are the people who thought that was ok but are suddenly checking out now.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The last three AC games are live service games if that gives you any indication of what they'd do with live service AC and how they would expand on that.
Yeah, I've played them all. Fell off of Valhalla because it's more that than the two before it and it shows. If that's the future...I can't get behind it. Maybe they surprise me though.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
How are they going to make this a live service? Are they going to become a loot game where you're just hunting for better gear?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It's bad enough there was no Assassin's Creed this year but none next year either. I will have to wait until 2024 for the next game.

I am cautiously pessimistic about the gaming as a service but we will have to see what they do with it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of reasons to dislike live service games. I liked Origins because they kept those features light but I thought they went too far with Odyssey. That game went too far with the mandatory grind of repeatitive boring side missions.
It should be noted that Odyssey was designed that way regardless of the MTs. And that stuff like time savers had existed in AC games five years prior to Odyssey.
Yeah, I've played them all. Fell off of Valhalla because it's more that than the two before it and it shows. If that's the future...I can't get behind it. Maybe they surprise me though.
Valhalla's more lenient than Odyssey even though it has a larger scope. It did have much longer and bigger planned post release support but that doesn't mean that the game feels compromised if you like, ignore timed events or don't buy the expansions. Literally the biggest complaint I see about it from people who didn't enjoy their time with it is that it's too big of a game to begin with.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So the natural evolution of what they tried to do over the course of the last games. AC is well on it's way in this direction since many years
Daily missions, some mythical DLC that differed a bit from the main game adding new areas to explore. With it's store fronts, purcheasable currency. Valhalla getting updates and DLC over a 2 year span... not sure why people are getting caught off guard. This is the direction since Origins.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
How are they going to make this a live service? Are they going to become a loot game where you're just hunting for better gear?
live service doesn't have to just mean loot, but loot is a big part of the new AC titles.

I imagine it'll be a combination of having live activities for loot, new story content, new regions and maps............literally like the last 3 games.

The only difference is that the scope and scale of the updates might be as large as "here's a brand new open world" and it would be as if your buying a new AC game, instead of a DLC to an already existing game.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I could've seen this coming, they were clearly moving in this direction with making the last three entries long af and kept "alive" with periodic downloadable content, timed quests and all that stuff. Oh well, I did not like the direction this IP was going since Odyssey, so this is only solidifying that opinion in my mind. It was good while it lasted.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that Odyssey was designed that way regardless of the MTs. And that stuff like time savers had existed in AC games five years prior to Odyssey.

Valhalla's more lenient than Odyssey even though it has a larger scope. It did have much longer and bigger planned post release support but that doesn't mean that the game feels compromised if you like, ignore timed events or don't buy the expansions. Literally the biggest complaint I see about it from people who didn't enjoy their time with it is that it's too big of a game to begin with.
That's where it lost me as well. I assumed they made it bigger than ever to have players keep buying shit and keep exploring areas they hadn't been. There's nothing of value in it for me. Odyssey strained my attention by the end and I rushed the story to be done, but I saw what it was doing. Always avoided buying anything. Each of the three did something for me, but each was lacking in key areas. I'm not their core audience anymore. I get it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They lost me again, as i didnt give a damn about vikings And im a fan of the series when they do civilizations i give a damn for, which mean they should be architectural interesting and its cities still be alive.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
My first reaction wasnt good, but I'll need to see more.

And please, all of ya'll will still play this when they reveal that the setting is in China and the DLC/Service updates let you play through multiple eras of Chinese history.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like they finally ran out of historical time periods to plunder, the creatively bankrupt so and sos.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clint Hocking left Ubi Toronto and has a new studio in Montreal, looks like:

Creative leads for Assassin's Creed Infinity will be a cross-studio collaboration, as well. Jonathan Dumont and Clint Hocking will share leadership as creative directors, overseeing their respective teams at Ubisoft Quebec and Ubisoft Montreal. Dumont was previously world director on Assassin's Creed Syndicate at Ubisoft Quebec before becoming creative director on Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Meanwhile, this moment marks Hocking's return to Ubisoft Montreal, having started at the studio in 2001 as a level designer, game designer, and scriptwriter on the original Splinter Cell before becoming creative director on Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Far Cry 2, and most recently Watch Dogs: Legion.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I fully believe the balancing of that game was designed around microtransactions. I tried to circumvent the grind as much as possible but I was constantly underleveled and fighting enemies that where the spongiest motherfuckers I have ever experienced in a game.

Not trying to sound like one of those angry gamer types but that's genuinely how I feel. I really wanted to like Odyssey.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
why put all your eggs in one basket? Why not do this while doing old school ones? at lest 3-4 years until the next AC is also crazy to think about.
All of this makes me sad :(

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So Hocking is working on this too

I wonder where this leaves Watch dogs. Legion disappointed me so much but it's still a franchise that I love

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I think for most people an Assassin's Creed game is so big that they play it on and off until the next one comes out. I can see the logic in going back to annual releases of smaller games (or expansions in this case) and just adding them to the live service instead of as individual releases as it wilds allow faster development and the ability to re-use existing maps. However, unless they charge the price of a full game for each expansion then I don't know how this makes financial sense without egregious MTX schemes.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
why put all your eggs in one basket? Why not do this while doing old school ones? at lest 3-4 years until the next AC is also crazy to think about.
All of this makes me sad :(
they seem to be betting the entire future of the company on this, and in all likelyhood the "radically different" next entry in the Far Cry series after 6, will also go in this direction.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's where it lost me as well. I assumed they made it bigger than ever to have players keep buying shit and keep exploring areas they hadn't been. There's nothing of value in it for me. Odyssey strained my attention by the end and I rushed the story to be done, but I saw what it was doing. Always avoided buying anything. Each of the three did something for me, but each was lacking in key areas. I'm not their core audience anymore. I get it.
I mean look at most AAA IP at the moment and how they compare to the studio's previous work. Most everything is designed to keep your attention for far longer than before. Like you named GoT as an example but think about just how long that game is compared to Infamous SS. Which you could handily get through in a weekend. Compare God of War, Gaers 5, or TLOU2, all of which are cinematic SP games where the characters literally have dialogue saying "we could continue the main story OR we could explore this mini open world to get upgrades and lore" to the last entries in those IPs. One of the most hyped games this year, that I'm personally hyped for, is Halo Infinite and it will most likely be exactly like that without going full open world
halo. All depends on what you want from a game. I find it as valid an approach as a linear title.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So there likely won't be another AC game before this releases? That sucks, I love this franchise. Other people can have their sports games or yearly Call of Duty, I love diving into a new AC every year or two