• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
www.bloomberg.com

‘Helldivers 2’ Is a Surprise Hit for Sony in an Oversaturated Market

On Steam, the cooperative third-person shooter hit a peak of more than 450,000 concurrent players
To date, neither has revealed sales numbers, but on Steam, Helldivers 2 hit a peak of more than 450,000 concurrent players, while Suicide Squad's all-time high is less than 13,500, per SteamDB. TD Cowen analyst Doug Creutz estimated that Helldivers 2 has sold more than 8 million copies, and most remarkably, the numbers are growing every week. "We believe the game has performed well ahead of expectations," Creutz wrote in a note Thursday.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
another example of why pre release marketing is not the end all be all of a game succeeding. Word of mouth and social media sharing matters way more. Saw soooooo many people say Sony were sending this game out to die because it had no marketing lmfao

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Sony looking at the PC gaming market after ignoring it for years:
F9P-9xnbAAAHoCF.jpg

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
When I saw it revealed last May I was amazed. Couldnt understand how so many people here wrote it off as a flop then only for it to be already at 8+ million lol

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what the revenue split is between Sony and Arrowhead.

Arrowhead must be making serious money since they are remaining independent.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
That's great. The original is such an underrated gem. Glad the sequel is blowing up (intentional phrasing)

MonadoX

Apr 1, 2022
Good. I was in Gamestop the other day and this guy bought a PS5 slim because of Helldivers. Said his son had been playing it. I haven't dived in yet because of other games, but when I do it's good to know that they'll still be a bunch of folks still playing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
another example of why pre release marketing is not the end all be all of a game succeeding. Word of mouth and social media sharing matters way more. Saw soooooo many people say Sony were sending this game out to die because it had no marketing lmfao

True and also, things like social media and influencer partnerships that help build word of mouth are a part of marketing that people here often miss because its not the traditional "commercial during Adult Swim" that most here are used to, especially for a service game like this.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst the technical issues have been unfortunate this is because the game shattered even the developers lower expectations.

This is going to be a very special game in 6 months time and it is already my favourite co-op game of all time.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst the technical issues have been unfortunate this is because the game shattered even the developers lower expectations.

This is going to be a very special game in 6 months time and it is already my favourite co-op game of all time.

My friends and I can't wait for the APC.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Sony knew exactly what kind of marketing was needed for this to be a success, and throwing trailer after trailer was not it.

When I saw it revealed last May I was amazed. Couldnt understand how so many people here wrote it off as a flop then only for it to be already at 8+ million lol
Some people do not want Sony's GAAS to take off for illogical reasons.

Toiletduck

Dec 10, 2017
Yup. Especially for live service games like this. I would say word of mouth, social media and the right price all contributed to the game's success.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If this is really true this will have a big impact on Sonys future development and platform strategy.

Spiderman 2 numbers on a much smaller budget while being multiplatform from the start. They must be crunching the numbers.

Also Bungie need to step up their game after this success.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It does seem like the hot game right now. Keep hearing stories of people talking about the game in real life too.

Make a great game and you stand to be rewarded. Have over 100 hours played already and I can't imagine this game won't top my GOTY list this year. Well done Arrowhead.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If this is really true this will have a big impact on Sonys future development and platform strategy.

Spiderman 2 numbers on a much smaller budget while being multiplatform from the start. They must be crunching the numbers.

Also Bungie need to step up their game after this success.
Good to note it's also cheaper than Spider-Man ($40 vs. $70)

MadJosh04

Banned
Nov 9, 2022
I hope the game keeps the momentum up for a while. I won't be playing this until the PS5 Pro is out. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Sony knew exactly what kind of marketing was needed for this to be a success, and throwing trailer after trailer was not it.

Some people do not want Sony's GAAS to take off for illogical reasons.
Yep, the trailers didn't sell me on the game. All those hilarious clips shared by my friends during the week of launch did. Like that one where one rando walks in front of some guy firing a machine gun and dies. Person recording dies laughing 🤣

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I wonder what the revenue split is between Sony and Arrowhead.

Arrowhead must be making serious money since they are remaining independent.

It does vary a lot depending on the deal, but publisher takes roughly 20 - 30%. I am not sure how it works when one of the publishers is also a platform holder; whether the 30% as a platform gets added onto that or whether it is part of the deal, but chances are Arrowhead is doing decent.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember many people (including me) had doubt about the game and some people even said it should be free to play!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think some of us assumed close to or more than 10 million.

One of the surprise hits of the year for sure.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
True and also, things like social media and influencer partnerships that help build word of mouth are a part of marketing that people here often miss because its not the traditional "commercial during Adult Swim" that most here are used to, especially for a service game like this.
bruh 🫠

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's as if day one on PC makes sense. This game blew up because of social media and influencers play PC. It would not be the massive success on just PS.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Its kind of crazy that this has a reasonable chance of outselling CoD this year. Obviously CoD releases much later in the year so its maybe not the most fair comparison, but considering CoD typically trounces everything by the time it comes out anyway I am making it anyway!

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
Yeah... I don't think even in Sony's most optimistic projections that they expected this kind of popularity for the game

May 25, 2019
London
  • Good price point that hinges on impulse buy territory for many people
  • No ridiculous monetization, just a battlepass and some cosmetics on a rotation
  • Effective way to earn premium currency in-game to buy the battlepass/cosmetic
  • Battlepass doesn't expire, no pressure or FOMO
  • Fun as hell gameplay designed exclusively around cooperation
Lot of these publishers should be taking these five bullet points into consideration for every new title moving forward

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
This is great. Sony needed at least one big hit from their GAAS initiative and looks like they already have that. Everything else is gravy. Still, I guess MLB and GT7 can be considered successes too.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
  • Good price point that hinges on impulse buy territory for many people
  • No ridiculous monetization, just a battlepass and some cosmetics on a rotation
  • Effective way to earn premium currency in-game to buy the battlepass/cosmetic
  • Battlepass doesn't expire, no pressure or FOMO
  • Fun as hell gameplay designed exclusively around cooperation
Lot of these publishers should be taking these five bullet points into consideration for every new title moving forward

Publishers: Best I can do is two month only battle passes and $35 skins