• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
  • Good price point that hinges on impulse buy territory for many people
  • No ridiculous monetization, just a battlepass and some cosmetics on a rotation
  • Effective way to earn premium currency in-game to buy the battlepass/cosmetic
  • Battlepass doesn't expire, no pressure or FOMO
  • Fun as hell gameplay designed exclusively around cooperation
Lot of these publishers should be taking these five bullet points into consideration for every new title moving forward

Ok, but why do that when you can make Fortnite money
/s

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I think the 40 euros price tag was one of the big of success.

Probably a impulsive buy for many people because of the price, and they end up loving it

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Very well deserved. Game somehow manages to be equally extremely fun and frustrating at the same time and all the random fuckery that just happens during gameplay has given me some of the hardest laughs I've had in a game in years.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony is going to try to acquire Arrowhead.
Saw it as a guarantee before launch, no idea how it works when the studio just becomes an overnight superstar. But the way they are doing live service is commended by so many fans. It's doing industry-setting stuff, I can see so many others watching this game and trying to make it happen for their next big AAA title. An on-going evolving war is just so simple and so obvious for this kind of live-service success.

Its also what people have always wanted out of an actual "live" game -- light on the cinematics, but heavy on the lore and roleplaying. It all seems so much more budget friendly than most other studios. Everyone is waiting for the potential of this game 2-3 years out, assuming they can scale into bigger things. How many games have fans that eager about the future?

In so many ways, it's like Fortnite BR. You have a solid foundation, and you can just see all the ways they can go. Fortnite didnt have the luxury of fans knowing where it would go, but that kind of expectation feels baked into the game. I think we are past that point of "flash in the pan success", especially if they are able to steadily roll out updates the way they are. There's just so much random "story" going on all over social media. It's the kind of enthusiasm you cant easily replicate.

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
A random clip posted here would probably sell a few more copies and those kind of clips are everywhere.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
This is great. Sony needed at least one big hit from their GAAS initiative and looks like they already have that. Everything else is gravy. Still, I guess MLB and GT7 can be considered successes too.
GOT Legends is technically modelled after a live service coop game and is sold standalone. The game is still very popular today, it could be considered a success in that vein.

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
Very well deserved, one of the best gaming experiences in my life.

If this is really true this will have a big impact on Sonys future development and platform strategy.

Spiderman 2 numbers on a much smaller budget while being multiplatform from the start. They must be crunching the numbers.

Also Bungie need to step up their game after this success.
I believe they already announced MP games will release on PC day and date, I doubt this will affect their SP games.

Vicman

Jan 29, 2024
The game has been #1 global steam seller since release. I think it was dethroned a couple of days ago by counter strike 2. Absolutely deserved my personal goty.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
So roughly $320 million in revenue. Crazy.

Without the Steam tax of 30% obviously, but can't calculate that without knowing the split between PS5 and PC.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit

• Good price point that hinges on impulse buy territory for many people
  • No ridiculous monetization, just a battlepass and some cosmetics on a rotation
  • Effective way to earn premium currency in-game to buy the battlepass/cosmetic
  • Battlepass doesn't expire, no pressure or FOMO
  • Fun as hell gameplay designed exclusively around cooperation
Lot of these publishers should be taking these five bullet points into consideration for every new title moving forward

I too look forward to a deluge of GAAS titles priced at $79.99, jam packed with ridiculous monetization and completely lacking in fun as hell gameplay.

What's that? Suicide Squad just bombed?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
If this is really true this will have a big impact on Sonys future development and platform strategy.

Spiderman 2 numbers on a much smaller budget while being multiplatform from the start. They must be crunching the numbers.

Ultimately, the strategy will be:

Release a playstation that is smaller and better value for the price than any PC could possibly be, using tremendous money in R&D for h/w and software customizations + economies of scale for a low cost / great value couch gaming option. Make money from 20 or 30% cut on digital, physical, DLC + monthly subs + cloud gaming.

Release games on PC day 1, possibly at a higher price than Playstation. Maybe PC games will cost $10-15 more to make up for the Steam fee. Still cheaper than buying a PS5 for exclusives though. With time they will get discounted during steam sales and such. Release high margin controllers + ultra high margin wireless dongles for PC alongside drivers.

Marketing pushes will have a bigger impact than Sony expects, I reckon, thanks to multiplicative effects that come with a higher peak userbase.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

They've long said that every multiplayer game is going to be Day 1 on PC. It seems like every time this discussion pops up people who don't follow PS for the most part act like Sony just stumbled into this rather than them knowing from the jump that in order ot get GaaS games off the ground that it's critical for them to have as big a userbase as possible, so they made the call to do Day 1 PC with all of them. Concord and Fairgames$ were announced right alongside Helldivers 2 with that plan during the 2023 PS Showcase.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Wonderful stuff, congrats to Arrowhead, selling at a lower price point (plus the game being great quality of course) really helped with word of mouth I reckon.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
"so, what's this game about that sells so more?"

"it's a game about democracy"

"really? just that?"

"yep, just that"

"it's really nice that a game about democracy sells so more, i feel proud for gamers"

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The trailers leading up to release did absolutely nothing for me. Then the game came out, everybody was raving about it, and I ended up impulse buying it on Amazon since it was only 35ā‚¬. And yeah it is a ton of fun.

A perfect storm of organic viral marketing and price.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's awesome seeing such a huge success happen to a game that managed a reasonable scope (so it could be priced reasonably) and launched on enough platforms it could reach "critical mass." It's not an easy recipe for success, but it's nice seeing it play out like that.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I have that proud for no real reason feeling you get when you pick a horse at a race that everyone else is meh on and it not only busts out the gate like an explosion but then outruns every other fucking thing with legs in a 20 mile radius lol

What's the next developer that has been making stellar 2d/top down style games for years who will transition to 3d and ride the fucking wheels off the gravy train for their trouble?? I absolutely adore when devs move into bigger scale, more immersive, 3d spaces from their 2d roots and just fucking kill it. Every ounce of fun has been preserved and amplified by the change to TPS for Helldivers. Everyone in that company needs a hug for how fantastic a job they did realizing this particular vision.

Crazy success. So fuckin cool <3

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
What a success story. Really happy for Arrowhead. Hope this continues to cultivate a healthy user base for years to come.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's barely a GaaS. It's PVE and the things you earn from the "battle pass" are so minor it's not like any of the gear is an absolute game changer. It's a solid co-op game in the vain of Left 4 Dead in my eyes.

thats because "GAAS" has always been a pretty wide descriptor that encompasses good and bad implementation, and good and bad games, rather than the 4 letter word Gamers have turned it into to describe anything they don't like. It's not "barely a GaaS", its just a good live service game.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It barely feels like a gaas which is why people who hate Gaas like this game. There isn't another GAAS quite like it right.

Warframe can technically allow you to get everything, even to the point of actually selling and accruing the premium currency from just playing the game.

Both Warframe and HD2 get the GaaS right.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's barely a GaaS. It's PVE and the things you earn from the "battle pass" are so minor it's not like any of the gear is an absolute game changer. It's a solid co-op game in the vain of Left 4 Dead in my eyes.
It's literally a live service game in that you need to play the game online at all times and the game regularly changes on a weekly basis. It's not just about the microtransactions.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
OK... so how many games do I need to buy before we get that Bloodborne port? I bought Helldivers 2 and haven't even played it.

Do I also have to buy the old Helldivers as well?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
people get too hung up on GaaS being about microtransactions even though HD2 has literally all of that (battle passes, skin shop, mtx, etc).

It requires constant engagement, introduces new content regularly and frequently, etc. It is GaaS in every possible way, just with lower prices compared to other titles. They will probably slowly turn up the monetization over time, too. That's how all GaaS go over time.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

Oh it's a GAAS game, without doubt. It's just not a predatory, shitty, bare minimum for the maximum cash we're legally allowed to pull out of kids, kind of GAAS.

This should absolutely be a model of how it's done alongside stuff like Warframe.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
People really need to start defining what they mean by "gaas" because its starting to become a buzzword

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally a live service game in that you need to play the game online at all times and the game regularly changes on a weekly basis. It's not just about the microtransactions.

it would be like describing Zelda TOTK or Elden Ring as "barely an open world game" out of sheer refusal to admit that good open world games can exist šŸ¤£

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The game is so fun. I am playing with my friends and it's one of the best online experiences ever

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
This game is a live service in every sense of the word, most shooters only have cosmetics in paid BPs and that is as inconsequential as you can get.

People really need to start defining what they mean by "gaas" because its starting to become a buzzword
A live service game should probably encompass those that have a combination of post-launch content, updates, and community engagement (seasons, events, evolving content, etc.). What constitutes a live service game is correctly broad, because it can include mp, sp, coop games, and every genre imaginable.