brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Basic language is not Grubb's strong suit it seems.
Wtf lmao. So now we're just insulting people because his words were misconstrued? I could say the same thing to my friends as speculation and they would understand immediately what I'm saying.

If you don't like Grubb that's fine but good lord lol

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf lmao. So now we're just insulting people because his words were misconstrued? I could say the same thing to my friends as speculation and they would understand immediately what I'm saying.

View: https://youtu.be/BPtzkxO0Ges?si=kIRUnX55LWvPf2FO&t=403

So you would tell your friends that it's "been rumored elsewhere, and I have started hearing about it" about something that's just you speculating? Grubb flat out says he's "heard something" about a second Sucker Punch game causing GoT2 to take longer than expected, whether it's Sly or something different. Schrier is saying that's bullshit and Sucker Punch is a one game studio.

Guess what Grubb stans, just like Good Guy Phil he's not your friend either.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This man throws so many wayward darts, but we still make everything he says news because he occasionally hits the board.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The initial "rumor" didn't make sense. Unless SP had two teams, there were no way they would be on Sly--an old, forgotten IP in a genre, platformers, that no one cares about if doesn't have the name 'Mario' in its title--and not on GoT2.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
This seemed obvious. What I don't understand is how can anyone think Ghost of Tsushima 2's development is taking longer than expected when the first game came out 4 years ago (2020) and Iki Island 3 years ago (2021).

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
This seemed obvious. What I don't understand is how can anyone think Ghost of Tsushima 2's development is taking longer than expected when the first game came out 4 years ago (2020) and Iki Island 3 years ago (2021).

FF7 Rebirth broke my brain. It launched 3 years after Remake's DLC and it's insanely ambitious

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
Sly2 Character interaction is something many games even today can't do. If GoT2 is the same as Sly to Sly2, then GoT2 will be undoubtly game of the year.
Damn I do wish for a remaster of sly1-3 and infamous. No need for remake, I would even be happy for the former to just receive a port with trophies.

PrincePawg

May 4, 2024
Instead of a new Sly game, i'd rather Sony made a complete remake of the ps2 trilogy and released it on PS5 and PC

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Is GOT2 even confirmed? I never took it as a given. Game seemed like it performed well enough but not like instant classic hit "they need to get on the sequel NOW" level.

Would people be mad if it was a new IP instead?

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I'm not sure why people are running round hoops to defend someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about (Grubb, obivously, not Schreier). I'd have to double check if he told me the sky was blue.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
No one should have believed this. There's no room for non giant open world games in Sony's catalog these days.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017

"But [there is] definitely smoke out there. Maybe where there's smoke there's fire."

doesnt sound much like 'pure' speculation to me.

thats the thing about Grubb that rubs people the wrong way, he makes everything sound like he has some 'insider' info about it. even when he has none.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Is GOT2 even confirmed? I never took it as a given. Game seemed like it performed well enough but not like instant classic hit "they need to get on the sequel NOW" level.

It's the most successful game sucker punch has ever made iirc. In July 2022, SP announced that it sold 9.73M copies ever since it launched in July 2020.

It's very likely getting a sequel.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

It's not confirmed as in Sony and Sucker Punch confirmed it, but it just makes sense. A new IP takes a ton of work because you have to research all the stuff for your setting, characters, weapons and so on, and you also have to build your gameplay systems from the ground up. We also know from the Insomniac hack that as of June 2023, Ghost of Tsushima was the 7th highest grossing 1st party game on PSN ever, excluding the remaster. Again, with digital only and as of June 2023, the original release made $215,787,175, while the PS5 release made $66,665,998. That's a total of $282,453,173. They're not going to not capitalize on such a massive success
www.resetera.com

Revenue and Downloads for every Sony first-party game ever released on the PSN (580+ titles, as of June 2023) Sales - Sony

Screenshot of the Excel sheet Removed weekly revenue and weekly download charts and sorted by total revenue. 1-33 34-66 67-99 100-132 133-165 166-198 199-231 232-264 265-297 298-330 331-363 364-396 397-429 430-462 463-495 496-528 529-561 562-585

Nov 21, 2017
Glad Jason debunked Grubb. Grubb is full of himself IMO as he blocked me years ago for liking a tweet of someone stating his rumors aren't always right and that he has been known for getting some things wrong. Don't get me wrong he is absolutely does get most things right but he doesn't haven't a 100% track record.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Glad Jason debunked Grubb. Grubb is full of himself IMO as he blocked me years ago for liking a tweet of someone stating his rumors aren't always right and that he has been known for getting some things wrong. Don't get me wrong he is absolutely does get most things right but he doesn't haven't a 100% track record.

💀

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have no idea how would you bring Sly back and make it work for modern audience. Ratchet is a crazy fast paced action game, that works.
Sly as an open world stealth game? A simplistic platformer won't cut it anymore.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
- Grubb on a podcast: "THIS IS PURELY ME SPECULATING but maybe this could happen? It'd be cool"

-Resetera: New Grubb leak: "X is Happening"

-Insiders or studios: "This isn't happening, there's no truth to it"

-Resetera: "Grubb lies again! What a POS, Ban this source!"

The cycle repeats

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Other than the one and possibly last Astrobot, no one should expect Sony to make those types of games.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Thieves in Time is actually great. I know Sanzaru games have already been bought but can Sony still hire them to make the next Sly?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
No one should have believed this. There's no room for non giant open world games in Sony's catalog these days.
I think this is the industry in general. But I think the best we'd do is Open Hub, like Stellar Blade...which coincidentally is how Sly has been structured for a while. I just don't think it would make its money back.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I really love that Jason tends to just debunk things to not let them run wildly out of control rather than leak a bunch of unreleased information that he likely has access to. There's a time for leaking things and it's not just to say "yeah I heard about a game that is going to be released/announced soon"

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Grubb on a podcast: "THIS IS PURELY ME SPECULATING but maybe this could happen? It'd be cool"

-Resetera: New Grubb leak: "X is Happening"

-Insiders or studios: "This isn't happening, there's no truth to it"

-Resetera: "Grubb lies again! What a POS, Ban this source!"

The cycle repeats
Yeah, Grubb always makes sure to preface these things with some form of "take it with a grain of salt" but people are very quick to disregard that

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes leakers leak. sometimes they speculate. y'all need to learn how to figure out which is which

Yeah. Especially when... they very, very explicitly say they're speculating.

Having boxes for well sourced information, less than concretely sourced information, educated guesses, and sheer speculation is basic media literacy. It's obvious how that applies to insiders, too, but I'm not sure we've become much better at this in the decade I've been watching this community respond to them.

Yeah, Grubb always makes sure to preface these things with some form of "take it with a grain of salt" but people are very quick to disregard that

For better or worse, Grubb is 100% in the insider game. That means he's collecting information from first hand sources, second hand sources, and onwards; he's scoping out the rumor landscape and measuring who's saying what and what seems plausible; he's engaging in the less than scientific art of feeling out what what companies are likely going to do based on industry knowledge (educated guesses/informed speculation). In other words, all the boxes I mentioned above? He's having an ongoing conversation with an audience that's interested in the industry that is explicitly based on pulling from all of them. Like, simply talking about rumors is almost as much a part of that conversation as actually confirming or debunking them.

He is, additionally, part of a personality based video game website. The aforementioned conversation is happening across different formats with different amounts of news emphasis.

So yeah, it's incredibly unsurprising to me that sometimes Grubb will discuss a rumor that ends up being less than grounded. Especially if he directly tells you he's speculating, though, I feel it's fair to say that it shouldn't be hard to couch those rumors in the appropriate amount of salt.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

1. This is barely an insult and worse is said about people here regularly.
2. It was his flub that he made, you can like him and still admit he messed up.
3. But also I think it's silly people even ran with it.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Videogame journalism basically starts and ends with Jason Schreier at this point. The rest of the industry is full of clout chasing goofballs.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
"Mostly speculation, so if you go write your headlines about this one then that is on you" then proceeds to talk about his hopes about seeing a Sly game.

Internet: I CAN'T BELIEVE JEFF GRUBB WOULD LIE TO ME

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/BPtzkxO0Ges?si=kIRUnX55LWvPf2FO&t=403

So you would tell your friends that it's "been rumored elsewhere, and I have started hearing about it" about something that's just you speculating? Grubb flat out says he's "heard something" about a second Sucker Punch game causing GoT2 to take longer than expected, whether it's Sly or something different. Schrier is saying that's bullshit and Sucker Punch is a one game studio.

Guess what Grubb stans, just like Good Guy Phil he's not your friend either.

Seems the defense squad doesn't want to acknowledge that he said this.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I really just don't understand why Sony doesn't publish many platformers anymore. They used to be their bread and butter and sold pretty well.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I really just don't understand why Sony doesn't publish many platformers anymore. They used to be their bread and butter and sold pretty well.

Because not many people buy them and the ones that do sell tend to be either lower cost projects or bigger IP.

Sony literally launched the PS5 with two platformers, one free and one with one of their family friendly IPs that has a history of platforming.

That second one was crossgen too AND it released on PC.

They know more than anyone how platformers do and they'll likely release another LBP game at some point to try again.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because Grubb clearly stated he was speculating and that if people made headlines on it it's their own fault, and not his, yet Era still went wild with it.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
"Mostly speculation, so if you go write your headlines about this one then that is on you" then proceeds to talk about his hopes about seeing a Sly game.

Internet: I CAN'T BELIEVE JEFF GRUBB WOULD LIE TO ME

It's funny because Grubb clearly stated he was speculating and that if people made headlines on it it's their own fault, and not his, yet Era still went wild with it.
"It's been rumored elsewhere and I've started to hear about". The video is on this page.

No. I never believed it, but how can y'all be this defensive.

"Hearing about it, but mostly speculation." doesn't really make sense. You're hearing other people's speculation. Hell, I'm hearing people's speculation just being here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Could they just make them as lower budget games? In the PS3 era and early PS4 era they published smaller download only games. They could also develop them on the scale of like a PSP game. They don't have to have cutting edge visuals.

Lol, what do you think Astrobot and the LBP game that launched with the PS5 are?

"Lower budget" games are still expensive games these days, just from the sheer amount of people you need to make them work, visuals be damned.