GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Lol, what do you think Astrobot and the LBP game that launched with the PS5 are?

"Lower budget" games are still expensive games these days, just from the sheer amount of people you need to make them work, visuals be damned.

Astrobot is more in line with what I'm talking about than LBP. But Astrobot is one game that came out four years ago and they have nothing else like it in sight for the foreseeable future.

Why can't developers just make games on the scale of how they were made 15-20 years ago for smaller projects in addition to the newer bigger AAA style games that take a higher amount of resources to make? Or why can't they just try to copy Nintendo's paradigm with the Switch? Something like Kirby has games releasing on a pretty regular basis on a smaller scale.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Astrobot is more in line with what I'm talking about than LBP. But Astrobot is one game that came out four years ago and they have nothing else like it in sight for the foreseeable future.

Why can't developers just make games on the scale of how they were made 15-20 years ago for smaller projects in addition to the newer bigger AAA style games that take a higher amount of resources to make? Or why can't they just try to copy Nintendo's paradigm with the Switch? Something like Kirby has games releasing on a pretty regular basis on a smaller scale.

Nintendo has 30+ years of IP and their teams are built for it.

Sony has teams built for other projects now (save for the Astro team) and taking people off those high ROI projects to put them on projects that much fewer people will buy doesn't make a whole bunch of sense.

And it's not like Sony hasn't tried to make platformers work repeatedly on the PS3, PS4 and PS5... Their biggest hit was LBP (and Astro critically) and they launched the PS5 with both of those.

i mean, Sackboy is definitely not a "smaller game" in any known universe and world. You just need to see the game's credits lol.

I know people who worked on the game, lol.

Its absolutely a "smaller budget" title compared to everything else Sony is working on.

Which is my point - even smaller budget games are still big budget games that require a ton of people these days.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

Because those games are being released and often don't do well.
15-20 years ago a lot of devs were crunching.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
... and? still not a small game. doesn't matter if it's smaller than the next game naughty dog is making - that was not the point, really.

Right? I totally get GamerJM frustration, on PS3 we had smaller PSN/digital release titles from thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower, Journey), handheld ports like Sound Shapes, Tokyo Jungle etc. I wish we could get something like a new Sound Shapes today. Of course I don't expect Sony to go near a dedicated handheld anytime soon especially after the Portal, so that kind of cross platform synergy isn't going to be a thing.

People say indies are the ones that make these types of smaller games these days but development is just as volatile for many of them too. For every success story there's tons of failures. Its the nature of an oversaturated market.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Right? I totally get GamerJM frustration, on PS3 we had smaller PSN/digital release titles from thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower, Journey), handheld ports like Sound Shapes, Tokyo Jungle etc. I wish we could get something like a new Sound Shapes today. Of course I don't expect Sony to go near a dedicated handheld anytime soon especially after the Portal, so that kind of cross platform synergy isn't going to be a thing.

People say indies are the ones that make these types of smaller games these days but development is just as volatile for many of them too. For every success story there's tons of failures. Its the nature of an oversaturated market.
Sony has completely abandoned any interest in doing small digital games these days. Gone are the days of Housemarque doing Outland and Q making Pixeljunk games

What I have noticed is that a lot of these smaller games are now made for VR platforms instead. Smaller devs appear to have less competition there and the audiences on VR are more open to experimentation. Too bad PSVR is kinda DOA, so the success is all on Meta and Steam.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't just the other day the CEO of Devolver say that there isn't that much of a demand for smaller games on Playstation and Xbox compared to Switch?

Going by the sales results of those smaller scale games and the studios who made them I don't really blame the developers for not really pitching these games to Sony.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Didn't just the other day the CEO of Devolver say that there isn't that much of a demand for smaller games on Playstation and Xbox compared to Switch?

Going by the sales results of those smaller scale games and the studios who made them I don't really blame the developers for not really pitching these games to Sony.
It's not surprising because the platform holder is often the one who sets the tone for their own ecosystem. There was plenty of demand when Sony themselves were investing in such games and actively promoting them along with third party contributions. When they dried up, of course demand dried up too.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I've only played Sly 1 so I can't be too disappointed in this news when there's 3 other games in the series I haven't played, I just wish the older ones were available to buy on PSN.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
This is upsetting. I replayed Sly 2 and the franchise defo needs a modern refresh. Feels so dated.

I've only played Sly 1 so I can't be too disappointed in this news when there's 3 other games in the series I haven't played, I just wish the older ones were available to buy on PSN.

You can stream them, only way I believe. Unless you got a ps3 and buy the hd collection.