• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn. Between this and going back to that TLOU port well again.

Ex_bt6LXIAcTQhA.png
I can't...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I should get to helm Uncharted 5. It would be about Sully in Latin America in the 1970s. It would be like ridiculously good.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
PS5 has been disappointment after disappointment for me.

Especially the last month or so

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The idea of Era as an enthusiast gamer forum gets shot with every new thread I read here. Lol

Does this Sony news make sense from a business perspective? Yes, especially given their increased focus on IPs that Sony Entertainment can leverage as well (Uncharted, GoT movies etc, Last Of Us shos, new Netflix deal from yesterday)

Is this news incredibly disappointing to 'gamers' (not MbG?) Also yes, because this just means Sony is going to moneyhat third parties for game diversity and let its own rich heritage die on the vine.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
The Last of Us Re-Remastered lol it is already playable on PS5 and still looks good and plays well. Pointless. I feel for those at Bend who didn't want to work on Uncharted, but another Uncharted game over Days Gone 2 is a reasonable business decision. Wonder what studio,, if any,, is working on it now that Bend is not? I enjoyed Days Gone, but I would be more interested in a new IP than a sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember a few years ago when Sony were saying how they let the devs do what they want to do? It is really weird to me that Hulst (who got his promotion after Sony let them do what they want) would do the opposite.

God, what a mess this has been.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was like "yeah, Sony made a right decision not proceding with TLOU remake" and then apparently it's still being made at Naughty Dog lol

It's not being made at ND. ND simply sent some devs to help out with the project after Herman Hulst saw the work and was disappointed by it. ND has close to 500 devs these days and growing.

I agree that this remake is a silly idea, but I'm also willing to bet a good portion of ND is working on a new IP.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It's in the article and in the first post? One team at Bend is helping out on ND's 'multiplayer game' and another team is is working on a new game of their own (instead of working on Uncharted).

I hope they're currently actually working on something new, there's another tweet by Jason saying this is "only on paper" so far or something.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I mean..."organic growth" they say. But for what? to have more teams working on milking all their IPs? lmao.
This plan would make sense if they were acquiring studios and having some "new blood". But not like this...
The PS OT threads got me way to excited for a sci fi Naughty Dog game.

Knowing they've grown to continue both Uncharted and TLOU is just disappointing.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really disappointing by Sony.

There's this notion that they will be alright because they "always" deliver on the triple A blockbuster experience. But it's so disappointing to see a Sony not taking risks in new projects.

This also circles around the news that Kojima is looking for a deal with Microsoft. This is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony wasn't available to negotiate a deal because they don't want to take risks with Kojima's weird and experimental ideas.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the focus on Hollywood style blockbusters from Sony but I just wish there was some genre diversity in those projects. It's been overwhelmingly 3rd person action game after 3rd person action game almost nonstop for a decade. I would absolutely love to see what one of Sony's prestige first party studios could do with an FPS or first person WRPG.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Naughty Dog should support Bend. Give them some help in writing the story and pacing and you have your next blockbuster Days Gone 2. It is more exciting for me to know that Sony has multiple exclusives instead of just 2 big games.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
You know, I actually regret my purchase of a PS5 at this point. I just do not like the direction Sony is going right now. I have zero interest in any of these blockbuster titles.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell are you doing Sony? Are you forgetting that it wasn't just massive blockbusters that brought you to the top of the industry?

This feels like Raven being reduced to map makers for CoD multiplayer.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yeah, I don't know either.
- Biggest console launch ever in history
- DS Remake + new Spider-Man game
- Gave Housemarque the money and resources, the fans demanded for years
- GoW Ragnarok coming sooner than we thought
- Sony is leading US, EU and Asia markets

I REALLY DON'T KNOW

Because more than these facts which highlight internal issues at Sony, per the news article as well as their recent PR debacle pertaining to handling of 7th console gen stores and more, encompass the whole situation.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This also circles around the news that Kojima is looking for a deal with Microsoft. This is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony wasn't available to negotiate a deal because they don't want to take risks with Kojima's weird and experimental ideas.
They already did with DS, not sure about the sales numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't like the world on fire.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. That "secret San Diego studio" is the same as VASG? If not, is it mentioned in the article at all? What are they doing? Jason says it never was Uncharted (which I find is a relief).

It's fucking COLD to learn that they actually had, at one point in time, not very far from now, both Uncharted and TLoU new game/remake in the making. Both taking time from Naughty Dog instead of letting them do new things. While at the same time not let other studios do new things either. What the FUCK have they been thinking? Hermen, this is not the way.

At least since then, Bend seems to be working on something new and original, which IS the way. And probably there's something more at ND aside from Factions and the remake nobody asked for, and that thing is the real deal. I can only hope.

I'm fine right now with having to wait yes or yes until I can get a ps5. No hurry for me.

Last edited:

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is assuming that Returnal appeals to everyone. People want a wider variety of risk-taking projects so ones that appeal to them will hit the market. Returnal isn't a magic bullet solution to the problem.
This is my stance on it too, really, even as someone who is into Returnal. You don't have a "risky offering" by occasionally tossing out one or two risky games. At least, that was not the case in the PS2 or PS3 eras. If you only put out a few risky/niche titles, all the more likely it is that your investment in doing so will have less of an impact because it will only be able to hit on a few niches rather than several.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I lean towards Xbox but love my PlayStation as well. Xbox has been louder lately but PlayStation will be just fine once the series of big games start to hit. Plus in the summer time when Sony has some sort of event or announcements people will see and be excited for even more things coming to PlayStation.

Both consoles are healthy and we are just witnessing Xbox balance the scales a little bit I don't think anyone is in trouble. Relax everyone.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I think the game Jason is referring to is the new Bend game, not the Uncharted game. That makes most sense from how I'm interpreting that exchange. A new Uncharted that Bend is just supporting wouldn't be in an "on paper" phase at that studio

edit nvm, I think I'm wrong. Tweet is weirdly worded

Last edited:

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I don't understand. That "secret San Diego studio" is the same as VASG? If not, is it mentioned in the article at all? What are they doing? Jason says it never was Uncharted (which I find is a relief).

It's fucking COLD to learn that they actually had, at one point in time, not very far from now, both Uncharted and TLoU remakes in the making. Both taking time from Naughty Dog instead of letting them do new things. While at the same time not let other studios do new things either. What the FUCK have they been thinking? Hermen, this is not the way.

At least since then, Bend seems to be working on something new and original, which IS the way. And probably there's something more at ND aside from Factions and the remake nobody asked for, and that thing is the real deal. I can only hope.

I'm fine right now with having to wait yes or yes until I can get a ps5. No hurry for me.
Hermen is making the worst decisions even after taking the risk of Horizon himself. Incredible

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck they wanna remake The Last of Us for? That's one of the last games that needs one. If anything, polish the graphics up a bit but why spend resources on it that could be used for a full new game?

Make a Jak and Daxter remake instead!!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, great insight about two Bend departures and a 30 men canned project.
I'm sensing sarcasm.... which I don't understand? It's shedding light on stories we would otherwise never know about, which is what good reporting is all about. The gaming industry can sometimes miss that good reporting, so I'll always applaud the folks who deliver interesting stories like this.

Last edited:

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Remember a few years ago when Sony were saying how they let the devs do what they want to do? It is really weird to me that Hulst (who got his promotion after Sony let them do what they want) would do the opposite.

God, what a mess this has been.
"Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio's leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own."

Doing the opposite, yeah. What a mess indeed.

I believe I should get to helm Uncharted 5. It would be about Sully in Latin America in the 1970s. It would be like ridiculously good.
Day one.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Please, dont take this as console warring: for things like these, the Game Pass model makes more and more sense. Big games budget is growing exponentialy and therefore the risks associated. If you have a source of income that is independent of the success (as of units sold) of the game, this is mitigated.
Yeah, development with no consequences will likely result in a shit ton of shovel ware trash, and studios that just can't get it right living on and on and on eating up capital that can be put to better use.
Always better to trim the fat keep what works.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
You know, I actually regret my purchase of a PS5 at this point. I just do not like the direction Sony is going right now. I have zero interest in any of these blockbuster titles.
You can use the machine for third party games and honestly, blockbuster titles were their thing last gen. The difference this gen will be that they will pay (moneyhat) third party developers to develop creative titles for them instead of doing it themselves. Or just straight up lock multiplat games for their platform which is pretty shitty but it is what it is.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I would have been in that team, I would have never opted for remaking The Last of Us for PS5. I guess remaking a PS4 game is less costly than a PS3 one since you could probably reuse assets more easily but Sony could have given a proper budget if it was one of the many games they could have picked from. The PS3 and PS4 eras have many great games that would benefit from a remake that are not ND games.

And about Bend, this is truly sad. I thought with Days Gone, Sony would have given them the freedom to either grow DG as a franchise or launch something new entirely.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
You can say the exact same thing about Horizon: Zero Dawn lol. None of that means anything about what the game actually sold.

Horizon is not the same, lol. Horizon was probably one of the best PS4 games, reviewed, and sold game of the generation. Hell, that's probably my favorite PS4 game. And the proof is in the pudding...Sony greenlit a sequel to Horizon and it' coming out this year. They didn't do that for Days Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.