• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Sony has in store for the PS5 seems like the most predictable console of all time. I think you and i both know where they are going. But if a remake of a wildly loved game gets you to sell a console then i think your being harsh on the company.

Btw, thanks for not being hostile towards what i said. It was a honest statement. I feel like when ever i question someones post on this board they usually attack me lol.
No reason to attack, it is a bit hyperbole yes. But it's mostly what you just said. A remake of TLOU makes it crystal clear what Sony wants for its console, and it's not a direction I'm thrilled about.

Ironically the focus on AAA megahits is why I went from Xbox 360 to PS3 with its JRPGs and more unusual games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read part of the article, he's basically saying the team, Sony Visual Arts behind the 2013 remake of TLoU is not getting any credit, it went to Naughty Dog. The studio never even got a name, they were deflated and the team disbanded.

Basically the article is focsing on how Sony is prioritizing it's big studios.

I think a lot of people are getting confused with the dates and the original remake.

Because as the article states, Herman Hulst wasn't happy with the results. I doubt he'd have sent ND to help or poured in even more money had he been impressed by what he saw. Just one of those unfortunate situations where perhaps SVAG bit off more than they could chew, but wanted to retain full autonomy either way.

I'd say they ought to have picked a less prominent IP to remake if they wanted that flexibility, because obviously Sony was always going to be super protective of The Last of Us. I'm surprised work on it even continued.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
This is so depressing.

So does this mean Bloodborne 2 is even less likely now since Sony only wants blockbuster hits?

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
bet he voted for trump.

453199d90efa0faff6d913502904db0f.gif

Oct 27, 2017
TBF it was trending down with the departure of Jack Trenton. Sony from 2014-2018 compared to 2019-now is a big difference. If Trenton were still on charge, I believe we would have gotten full BC. I mean we can't even get a 60fps patch for Bloodborne now.
We didn't get PS1 or PS2 BC when he was in charge of the American division of SIE, and Andrew House was in charge at that time, not Jack Tretton.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I'd rather have a TLOU3, or even story DLC, over a remake of TLOU. I'm obviously a huge fan of the series and would buy the remake in a heartbeat, but I'd rather they focus their efforts elsewhere.
I mean of course this absolutely is not an or situation. We are talking about a 30 person team for the remake while TLOU2 with contractors and support studios was likely in the thousands! And even then the budget for the remake was considered too high. This remake is absolutely not replacing development for TLOU3. Completely different scales. I'd imagine even a story DLC would have a much higher headcount.

This game is a quick money grab, leveraging ND's latest technology (graphics and gameplay base) and tying it in with a potentially very successful TV show to grow TLOU as a franchise. Honestly, business wise, it makes a lot of sense.

For me as a gamer I'm also very happy with this news because I did not share the same enthusiasm about the first game as the many other. It kind of bored me. Whereas the stealth/action mix was VERY fresh in TLOU2 and extremely well tuned and fun to me, and I'm just happy I get to enjoy more of it (at the right price though).

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I find it funny that Returnal is being held up as the antithesis to all of people's concerns about Sony's path - when it's a game made by a developer that previously specialized in smaller, retro arcade-style games, but had to pivot to a big cinematic blockbuster third person shooter in order to keep getting money out of Sony.

Game still looks great (and seems surprisingly connected to Housemarque's roots) - but the narrative is laughable.

Giving a studio that previously specialized in smaller, retro arcade-style games AAA budget to make a new IP that still keeps their retro arcade-style at the forefront and spinning it as a "big cinematic blockbuster third person shooter" is a take, to say the least.
I get what they are trying to say here but if that is the direction they are going in, they are in trouble. Occasional tent pole EVENT games/films are only as good as their last one. It's a risky model that risks collapsing under the financial losses incurred by one or two flops. Hence the move to safer, less risky projects. It's not a healthy model, long-term.

This has literally been Nintendo's model for like two decades now.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This is so depressing.

So does this mean Bloodborne 2 is even less likely now since Sony only wants blockbuster hits?
Well I mean the guys at Sony who worked on those deals at Japan Studio are gone so we already knew if bloodborne continues it's likely not be done by From and would not have the same creative and technical oversight.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Each day that passes I get more and more disappointed with Sony, I love them and the PS5 is great but a TLOU remake along with their recent choices is just insane, I really hope they don't force devs like Media Molecule and Pixelopus to do AAA Cinematic games like the other studios

Dec 7, 2017
Honestly this stirs some fears up. I liked playstation because of the games Sony now doesn't want (drive club, quantic dream stuff, the last guardian). This sounds basically just like safe bets. Especially a TLOU remake sounds DUMB as hell.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Well I mean the guys at Sony who worked on those deals at Japan Studio are gone so we already knew if bloodborne continues it's likely not be done by From and would not have the same creative and technical oversight.

I thought From would be the only ones to do it. But since it's Sony's decision/IP and its not seen as a massive money maker that they might not want to waste their time publishing it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot imagine a more boring future for Sony than one that has a perpetual erection for painfully predictable AAA emotional cinematic games. The Last of Us does not need a remake at all.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Who on this God's green earth wants to play TLoU again lmaoooo bad move
The people who are going to watch the show and consider playing the game for the first time. It's basically a cash grab. But it's a smart one.
This paragraph is honestly funny to me.

Got pulled off a TLOU remake to help with TLOU 2 and this is considered a breach of autonomy?

I guess I get the bummer vibes coming from Sony Bend (although I am personally not the least bit sad to see Day's Gone fade away). Still, I haven't really felt the urge to join in on the PS doomposting... However, if Playstation was actually pouring a large amount of resources into remaking TLOU, I might be inclined to worry.

"We want autonomy! We don't want to be subordinate to Naughty Dog! We want to remake a 7 year old Naughty Dog game!" yeah, not particularly bummed to hear that project didn't garner a ton of support from corporate.
Yeah, the idea that you would develop a remake at the same time as the sequel seems like it's doomed to run into problems. Like I get it from the idea of creating a package, as said, but how could the remake team make something that feels cohesive with something that's still being made? Not ND itself has such a big stake in the success of the franchise. I don't see how these folks were ever going to get the independence they wanted with this project.

I still do feel sorry for them though. From their perspective it's clearly discouraging.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He could have wrote the article and not mentioned the games and drop Naughty Dogs second massive leak in less than a year...

or, and stay with me here, he could've done exactly what he did because everything in the article provides context and information for the larger story being told

not his fault gamers are being gamers about it

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Remaking TLOU is whatever if you have another studio do it, but wasting NDs output of 3 games max a gen on it? Thank you Dim Ryan.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I've no interest in a Days Gone sequel. But I've even less interest in a Last of Us remake - odd choice. I'm happy that Bend is making something new though!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Giving a studio that previously specialized in smaller, retro arcade-style games AAA budget to make a new IP that still keeps their retro arcade-style at the forefront and spinning it as a "big cinematic blockbuster third person shooter" is a take, to say the least.
I fail to see how Returnal is keeping the 'retro arcade style at the forefront' - when the first trailers heavily emphasized narrative and the bullethell elements weren't really exposed until later gameplay footage came out. That first trailer absolutely sells it as a mainstream, narrative TPS in perfect lockstep with the rest of Sony's brand catalogue. You have to dig in order to find the originality.

Deleted member 44122

i personally like the blockbuster direction of sonys aaa games. if they just want to focus on those id be all for it. a tlou remake on ps5 could also be great

He could have wrote the article and not mentioned the games and drop Naughty Dogs second massive leak in less than a year...
thats not what gets the clicks though ;P

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
It's a bummer about Days Gone 2, but it's hard for me to get excited about a TLOU remake no matter who makes it. The game's less than 10 years old and runs great on a PS5/PS4 Pro.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
First = Games that spawn a new genre or tap into an untapped market.
Best = Games that are best in class.
Must = Games that you have to make to strengthen your platform, even if there may not be a case for profitability.

I dunno, Days Gone 2 would be a sequel to a survival horror game. Where do you think it fits in?

No where.
And that´s my point lol
I must say tho that I would love a DG2.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I got roasted several times for saying this prior but this is a LEADERSHIP problem and it IS for Jim Ryan to either fix or not. The buck starts with him and ends with him.

He is not the right leader for SIE in my opinion, the decisions and actions speak for themselves.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is exactly how I feel. I can't help but feel sad.
Just curious, lets say we take a look at the last 3 years of Sony's First Party output. What are some games that that you feel sad about that you wouldn't get in the future with he revelations in the article?

Sony's been focused on AAA games for half a decade now. They still have smaller teams like Pixel Opus, Media Molecule, Asobi making smaller scale games too. I don't see this article as revelatory at all.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Why not give your fans something they have been asking for? Like a Bloodborne patch to have that game actually run decently on your new hardware OR why not remaster it instead was of a TLOU remaster?

Actually I am tired of remasters with everything. Patch Bloodborne or port it to pc.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
4 generations of playing on playstation and have no desire to get a ps5. i mean i understand sony doesn't want my money cuz my tastes are not the mainstream ones but oh well.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Returnal definitely doesn't look mainstream at all

It appears to be a third person shooter with a cinematic story that's designed to encourage a lot of time put into it with constant and gradual rewards. It seems very mainstream. But us smart folk know that Housemarque is the secret sauce that is going to make it special.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
The only thing I saw was "You're not going see a new Medievil" Sony can go to hell
/s but also not /s

I was litterally discussing the potential of a Days Gone sequel, hordes and stuff on the new hardware. It had flaws and was buggy to begin with but it was fairly solid and the horde stuff was really fun.

It's wild that they're not going to do another.

But It might be worth the laughter I will emit when they announce a remastered remake remaster of TLOU for £70 in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.