PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If they don't delay the movie to allow time for the reworks, this is going to be awful for everyone involved.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Oh dear this shitshow even made it to Colbert's Late Show! Go to the 2:05 mark for the Sonic segment and mad props to Jon Baptiste for something I assume he improvised and I'm not ruining for you.

Watch, it's not even a minute long:

Oh man, super short but oh so good. I would listen to an incredibly long medley of different songs by him in a heartbeat.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They've already got the song, so I think they should just go full Coolio.

b5kwwj.jpg

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer on Paramount's channel has 22 million views right now and close to 500k dislikes.

To put this in perspective for all the folks who've suggested that the initial wary response to Detective Pikachu's designs is comparable, the first trailer for that has 61 million views... and only 68k dislikes.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone start the conspiracy theory of the bad Sonic design and trailer was a marketing stunt and they have the real version already ready?

i20bot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think there's that much to rework. All they have to do is redo the Sonic model. The animation is already done so they just have to re-rig and tweak a little here and there. They're probably not even into rendering or just there, which is why they're able to redo Sonic. But who knows how much they're gonna change. Maybe just his eyes lol.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I say they bring back human-sonic for the role of Shadow. He has a grudge against the world and a reason for revenge, as far as I can tell.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone start the conspiracy theory of the bad Sonic design and trailer was a marketing stunt and they have the real version already ready?
I've started to think that too. He's not in all that many trailer shots, especially standing still. And it is surprising that they listened to feedback at all, much less without delay.

What really makes the conspiracy theory appealing though is how bad the initial design was. Hard to imagine the whole cast and crew thinking it was fine before.

So they 'leak' the early promo and then show the trailer, featuring the freaky looking Sonic we initially got. Then they switch Sonic to a real design. Now, a movie we would have dismissed as mediocre at least seems good by comparison, and people are already invested in it from vocally hating the other design.

Not that I believe it... but seems like it could have a been a smart publicity stunt.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've started to think that too. He's not in all that many trailer shots, especially standing still. And it is surprising that they listened to feedback at all, much less without delay.

What really makes the conspiracy theory appealing though is how bad the initial design was. Hard to imagine the whole cast and crew thinking it was fine before.

So they 'leak' the early promo and then show the trailer, featuring the freaky looking Sonic we initially got. Then they switch Sonic to a real design. Now, a movie we would have dismissed as mediocre at least seems good by comparison, and people are already invested in it from vocally hating the other design.

Not that I believe it... but seems like it could have a been a smart publicity stunt.
I think you're giving this team too much credit. It's not like all of the movie looked good and Sonic's design being an exception.

I'm going with Occam's Razor here which is its way way easier to imagine Hollywood just fucking up another videogame adaptation rather than all being a super smart and calculated marketing move. After all they've gotten really good at making poor decisions on videogame movies since 1993's Super Mario Bros. That's the one consistent thing about these films.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Atleast they are listening to the backlash rather than ignoring it. What changes they can do now though is another thing.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I think you're giving this team too much credit. It's not like all of the movie looked good and Sonic's design being an exception.

I'm going with Occam's Razor here which is its way way easier to imagine Hollywood just fucking up another videogame adaptation rather than all being a super smart and calculated marketing move. After all they've gotten really good at making poor decisions on videogame movies since 1993's Super Mario Bros. That's the one consistent thing about these films.
Oh, I agree. Occam's Razor is definitely the way to go.

Video game movies really do have an impressively consistent track record.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WELL ACTUALLY

What the hell did I just watch? That's not from the Late Show is it? Does Baptiste just goes around playing Green Hill Zone?

And by "improvise" i didn't mean he made up the song right there, but he improvised at the moment to play that bit of the song during Colbert's jokes about the Sonic movie.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much this

I've been involved in a few productions with their own set of theories on what happened and often the reality of what happened isn't as complicated

A part of this I feel is people don't want to believe something so stupid could happen but...it does

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

I dunno, seems like a huge risk of marketing and budget to gamble on how word of mouth will spread. Even if they change it, the negative repsonse may still linger.

Thing is, if they change the design, the movie just looks like a regular kids film.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Also, the people trying to push some dumb theory that this is somehow a clever marketing tactic to drive interest in this movie are out of their minds. This isn't a leaked set pic or production artwork, it's the first goddamn trailer, the first impression that most would get of the movie. If their plan was to make their first big marketing push as off-putting as possible in hopes of winning people over with the "fixed" version, then they're moron and the result blew up right in their faces, as most of the potential audience for this movie has been alienated and isn't coming back, and the few who are still willing to pay to see this are incredibly skeptical of how you're gonna save this turd.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the people trying to push some dumb theory that this is somehow a clever marketing tactic to drive interest in this movie are out of their minds. This isn't a leaked set pic or production artwork, it's the first goddamn trailer, the first impression that most would get of the movie. If their plan was to make their first big marketing push as off-putting as possible in hopes of winning people over with the "fixed" version, then they're moron and the result blew up right in their faces, as most of the potential audience for this movie has been alienated and isn't coming back, and the few who are still willing to pay to see this are incredibly skeptical of how you're gonna save this turd.

What's funny is that MORE people seem to be talking about the outrage on this, than Detective Pikachu when it aired. Like, my Youtube feed is nothing but "have you SEEN Sonic?!" I only had a few channels be like "oh, real Pokemon look pretty cool!" Even other news outlets that wouldn't normally cover this thing, but at least remember and recognize the old iconic Sega mascot, have pointed out how awful this is.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Props to Fowler for being extremely cool about this.

But this is going to cost Viacom/Paramount an insane amount of money. Toys, promotional deals, merch, posters, art, etc., is already done. All of that has to be done away with now.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear this shitshow even made it to Colbert's Late Show! Go to the 2:05 mark for the Sonic segment and mad props to Jon Baptiste for something I assume he improvised and I'm not ruining for you.

Watch, it's not even a minute long:

This is how big this shitshow got and in a way made this movie more free advertisement than it could've ever hoped to achieve. After Colbert made fun of the Sonic movie now it was even mentioned in SNL! I always knew this was a disaster but not so big a disaster that mainstream tv shows can't ignore it!

Check this Weekend Update segment at the 3:15 minute mark for it.

And yes this is an SNL YouTube clip which means it'll be geo-blocked in some countries.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
What if this is all part of a very well thought through publicity campaign?

The only shots with weird sonic ate the ones in the trailer.

They baited us for a reaction, come back and say we're listening, then roll out the film which all along had an accurate sonic?

I mean the reaction they have had dye to bad sonic alone is off the scale publicity wise

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They baited us for a reaction, come back and say we're listening, then roll out the film which all along had an accurate sonic?

I mean the reaction they have had dye to bad sonic alone is off the scale publicity wise
This is complete and utter bullshit.

There's already posters and displays of this Sonic at theaters worldwide. There's merchandise, toys, and what not. They did interviews about it. There's no way this was a calculated move. If there's one consistent thing about videogame live action movie adaptations are that Hollywood just don't get them and they've all sucked. I think it's just more plausible that this is the case of just another videogame movie Bollhwood didn't get than a masterful plan of deceit.

They could capitalize on all this free publicity but to say this was all intentional doesn't make any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
This is complete and utter bullshit.

There's already posters and displays of this Sonic at theaters worldwide. There's merchandise, toys, and what not. They did interviews about it. There's no way this was a calculated move. If there's one consistent thing about videogame live action movie adaptations are that Hollywood just don't get them and they've all sucked. I think it's just more plausible that this is the case of just another videogame movie Bollhwood didn't get than a masterful plan of deceit.

They could capitalize on all this free publicity but to say this was all intentional doesn't make any sense.

Wow, calm down. Can we not make fun posts anymore?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah this is also why they spent over two decades making shitty Sonic games since the 90s so that Sonic Mania would get a positive response.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I didn't know there was a Sonic movie in the making until a friend send me this abomination of movie Sonic. Has definitely to change, however they're going to do it.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
As someone who grew up on Sonic, I'm glad they're changing it, but the other problems with the story can't possibly be fixed. I wish they just set it in Sonic's world or something.

I'm not a big fan of Pokemon, but that film has the right idea, setting wise.