Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Hahahahahaha you think it's Eddie Murphy?

XeJV1XG.jpg

Iol

It's also more like his temple, not his forehead

Oct 25, 2017
To put this in perspective for all the folks who've suggested that the initial wary response to Detective Pikachu's designs is comparable, the first trailer for that has 61 million views... and only 68k dislikes.

Which isn't surprising. There's a huge difference in approach with Pokemon. For the most part, the additions and changes are tasteful and don't take away from the original Pokemon designs. Which obviously wasn't a concern here.

Also, the presentation is just on a completely different level. The effects and lighting are so much more convincing in Pokemon which instantly helps sell the designs as 'realistic'.

I'm still gonna stand by my theory that the change in design is a plot point

That could be.... interesting.

Probably not good, but interesting.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't they have already started production on merchandising at this point?
Possible, but we don't know how the merchandise is really gonna look. It's possible the merchandise might look more like video game Sonic but with some slight movie Sonic "flourishes" (like more detailed quills and blue arms).

Oct 25, 2017
Possible, but we don't know how the merchandise is really gonna look. It's possible the merchandise might look more like video game Sonic but with some slight movie Sonic "flourishes" (like more detailed quills and blue arms).

Right. And let's be realistic, they aren't going to completely scrap the design and start over. They are going to tweak it, probably focusing on the facial rigging and animation.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I wouldn't expect a lot of changes to come from this. They can at least make the teeth less creepy and maybe widen the eyes a bit, but most of that disaster will still haunt our screens.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Companies should not respond to internet hate like this, it's going to happen regardless and only hurts the employees.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really perfect unfortunately. Reason being is his eyes aren't separated. This is about seeing what Sonic would be like in the real world, not animated.
Their version of 'Sonic IRL' showed so far is just as baffling and unrealistic than this one so having his eyes not separated isn't that much of an issue imo, especially if it's to be more faithful to the original design.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really perfect unfortunately. Reason being is his eyes aren't separated. This is about seeing what Sonic would be like in the real world, not animated.
I mean, if they wanted him to be realistic, they should have given him beady eyes...... which actually maybe would have looked better than what they ended up with.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, the ship for a realistic Sonic sailed the second they decided to make a movie with a blue colored talking hedgehog in Nike sneakers. Fuck that, just make a faithful looking Sonic with fur and that's that.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they wanted him to be realistic, they should have given him beady eyes...... which actually maybe would have looked better than what they ended up with.
Not to mention not have him colored blue, or talking, or wearing Nikes. But yeah somehow having him with two separate eyes is where we draw the line of unrealistic ness.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

How does one define "Sonic in the real world" exactly? Everything they've chosen to throw out is just as arbitrary as what they've kept. A monoeye is too much but his absurd spiky head shape that looks neither human nor hedgehog is A-OK? Wearing gloves is too cartoony but wearing shoes makes sense? Beige fur around his snout is fine but beige fur on his stomach and arms was a step too far?

He's always going to look like a cartoon character short of just turning him into a literal hedgehog, so there's no point in making selective changes for the sake of "realism" when it can never truly exist. Just take the Detective Pikachu route and keep the game design but give him realistic textures and fur so he fits in with his live-action surroundings. It really is that easy.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does one define "Sonic in the real world" exactly? Everything they've chosen to throw out is just as arbitrary as what they've kept. A monoeye is too much but his absurd spiky head shape that looks neither human nor hedgehog is A-OK? Wearing gloves is too cartoony but wearing shoes makes sense? Beige fur around his snout is fine but beige fur on his stomach and arms was a step too far?

He's always going to look like a cartoon character short of just turning him into a literal hedgehog, so there's no point in making selective changes for the sake of "realism" when it can never truly exist. Just take the Detective Pikachu route and keep the game design but give him realistic textures and fur so he fits in with his live-action surroundings. It really is that easy.

yep.

any change to his design for the sake of "realism" is going to be arbitrary and ridiculous because the concept of trying to make a snarky talking blue hedgehog that runs super fast "realistic" is a fundamentally terrible idea

just let sonic look like sonic. there is no point in doing otherwise.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

I'm not meaning for Sonic to look 100% like an earth hedgehog but blue. He can still look like himself (needs to at least get rid of the blue human body and human teeth) but just be furry/prickly and without his eyes joined together.

Detective Pikachu creations are fine as they're as though they are fuzzy/slimy/scaly creatures in the real world. I'm yet to see the film but I'm pretty sure none have their eyes joint together?

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Even if they didn't want to do the mono-eye they could achieve the look by making the fur between his eyes white.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Companies should not respond to internet hate like this, it's going to happen regardless and only hurts the employees.

Ordinarily I'd agree but this design is so fantastically wrong on the company's part that if anything they should have listened to the fans sooner. That being said, the RIGHT move would be to delay the film, Fire the person who pushed for the design, and give a raise to everyone who fought against it.

He's a giant cartoon hedgehog. They didn't change the designs for Woody Woodpecker or Yogi Bear or Pikachu or Scooby Doo in their respective movies. There's no reason they have to here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
yep.

any change to his design for the sake of "realism" is going to be arbitrary and ridiculous because the concept of trying to make a snarky talking blue hedgehog that runs super fast "realistic" is a fundamentally terrible idea

just let sonic look like sonic. there is no point in doing otherwise.
Agreed.

Fuck "grounded and realistic". Detective Pikachu has the right idea.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they added that last second shot of Eggman from what I'm assuming is like the last few minutes of the film or a post credits thing (its 2019, you know theres going to be one) as a way to reassure people about Robotnik looking different, thinking it was going to be the biggest issue and people were going to be fine with Sonic.

Man...they really miscalculated if so.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
That could be.... interesting.

Probably not good, but interesting.

In my hopeful mind, this is more a story about how Robotnik got his crazy obsession with getting rid of Sonic. Also, about how he became the Eggman. When they go back to Sonic's world they look more accurate to their game designs.

The only character we see in Sonic's world is Robotnik looking like himself in Mushroom Zone. Hopefully when Sonic is in there it's not as jarring of a design.

Also, 100% sure we're getting a joke about Sonic's design in the movie lol

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
release day. sonic is now a 6' tall hyper-realistic furry in a red thong. voiced by Christopher Walken.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they actually mangae to change this to something fans would like without either delaying the movie or spending a shitton of cash. It can't be cheap to change the design this late into production.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for the VFX people but the studio really should have thought about getting more opinions on the design before going with it. This would have been super easy to avoid, testing it on anyone remotely familiar with the character would have told you it was garbage. And Sega and many others probably did tell them just that.

Again though, doubt they're going to put that much work into changing it. They'll keep it and try tweaking it but I'm not expecting any major changes despite what they've said.

I'll be shocked if they really go that far back on it for this of all films. Not the kind of movie you really want to kill an entire VFX crew/drain their soul for.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this edit that looked pretty good too, with both the cyclops eye and the separated eyes:

The problem with that design is any other expression besides "angry/serious" needs one-eye Sonic to work.

That's just what I want to read! Great info, Thanks!!