BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
key difference being Japan didn't declare State of Emergency until April. I think Square and Nintendo were both very unprepared for home office
Most likely but lets hope its only a NoJ problem and not a Nintendo WW problem when it comes to work at home.

If you are unable to do it, i would have much rather have them saying to at the financial briefing thay are not able to.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely understand, but I'm in such a limbo of what my next big purchase should be now. I've been holding on to a lot of credit since early this year in anticipation for E3 sales and announcements. But now it's looking like neither of those are really going to happen due to the world we're living in.

Fire Emblem has been tempting me for a year and is now looking a lot more tempting...but I feel like the second I drop the 60$ on that they'll announce something I need. Kinda interested in Paper Mario but I skipped the last two because they looked meh. Makes me want to play a new one but at the same time cautious. Interested in the Mario remasters too.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm dumb and couldn't understand the article properly, I think.

What this means is that the mario remasters will take a long way to be announced/released, then, as they will be announced in a direct?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What this means is that the mario remasters will take a long way to be announced/released, then, as they will be announced in a direct?
The implication is that they'll announce them on social media without a Direct, as they did with Paper Mario last week.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

No, he's saying that Pikmin 3, SM3DW and the Mario collection are more or less ready to go and can be announced on Twitter at any moment. Aside from that he doesn't seem to know too much about the rest of Nintendo's slate, or when they'll make a new Direct.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, No. Someone at least decent with video editing programs could throw a good one together in a day. There's literally zero effort for this. It's 90% trailer party with a short introduction.

If you do not actually know how much planning, meetings, prep, collaborating, more meetings, and then putting the video together it takes, you really shouldn't say anything. A Direct takes months to put together. It's not like they can just decide what to put in the video and throw it together in an afternoon.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
is this news? I think it's kinda obvious given the current circumstances that directs would be suspended for the time being & game updates/announcements if any would just come on their own when their dates are finalized

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
No, he's saying that Pikmin 3, SM3DW and the Mario collection are more or less ready to go and can be announced on Twitter at any moment. Aside from that he doesn't seem to know too much about the rest of Nintendo's slate, or when they'll make a new Direct.

This is great news, actually!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If you do not actually know how much planning, meetings, prep, collaborating, more meetings, and then putting the video together it takes, you really shouldn't say anything. A Direct takes months to put together. It's not like they can just decide what to put in the video and throw it together in an afternoon.

Yeah, I realized that now, thanks.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not true at all. People still expect the titles that would've been shown at E3 to be shown sometime near it
I think what was meant by that is that people wont be able to have expectations that specifc stuff gets announced in some place, if there is no "place".
Only the most stupid of people would go and say "why wasnt metroid announced in this twitter announcement of Paper Mario", while every direct is always followed by people complaining x wasnt in it(as they should, since xenoblade x has to arrive on switch.)

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
They're not planning one at all at this point (as in, the summer one is scrapped entirely, not delayed). They will of course probably have one at some point in the further future.

I swear, sometimes when people read "insider" stuff they try to be obtuse.
lol, it seemed pretty clear to me, so I was surprised at a lot of the confusion

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
That's fine by me. I loved how they just announced Paper Mario out of nowhere via Twitter. I wouldn't mind if they kept that up.

Oct 27, 2017
I think what was meant by that is that people wont be able to have expectations that specifc stuff gets announced in some place, if there is no "place".
Only the most stupid of people would go and say "why wasnt metroid announced in this twitter announcement of Paper Mario", while every direct is always followed by people complaining x wasnt in it(as they should, since xenoblade x has to arrive on switch.)

Tangentially related, but what do those quotes mean? Why the ,, '' stuff instead of normal quotes?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ehh, No. Someone at least decent with video editing programs could throw a good one together in a day. There's literally zero effort for this. It's 90% trailer party with a short introduction.
Think about it, try and plan a direct yourself.

Ongoing communication with third parties, creating marketing assets/trailers for first party games, collating it all together, creating a plan of order to actually present it, narrating it and translating it into other languages (I'm not sure if that's the case for live directs for other countries or if it's only Japanese/English initially), preparing press releases and briefing media etc etc

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I guess we'll see twitter dripfeed over the course of the summer.. and that's ok I guess, even though directs are hype and I would prefer that :P
It's like watching a movie to see how it unfolds and be surprised along the way and I like that.. I mean, releasing the BotW 2 trailer on twitter wouldnt have been the same. At least for me.

Last year both the February and E3 directs were absolute on point. I cant wait to get another one of those in the future. It would suck if they left the formula they have worked on for so many years.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean.
If you mean why i use "stuff" instead of "Stuff", my keyboard defaults to the first one, i had to copy paste the upper one to get two of them.
That is how quotes are done where i come from at least.
Oh, just wondering. I thought it was like the """ thing people here do for some reason

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
lmao at people thinking these things don't take a tremendous amount of effort to make.

Like Nintendo has a folder titled "Unreleased Games & DLC Trailers" on Koizumi's desktop just laying around, and they just need to record Tanabe and Furukawa in their kitchens with a green screen, then press some button on Windows Movie Maker and ta-da! There's your Direct! You don't need to direct, coordinate or designate resources to anything at all -- it's all there already!
Well, the trailers and stuff needs to be made regardless of if there is a direct or not...

but true, if the partners are not shure about timescale für release, trailer, etc, and nintendo themselves is not shure about their lineup, why try to make a direct, while risking that stuff gets shuffled around just weeks after the anouncement.

Definitely understand, but I'm in such a limbo of what my next big purchase should be now. I've been holding on to a lot of credit since early this year in anticipation for E3 sales and announcements. But now it's looking like neither of those are really going to happen due to the world we're living in.

Fire Emblem has been tempting me for a year and is now looking a lot more tempting...but I feel like the second I drop the 60$ on that they'll announce something I need. Kinda interested in Paper Mario but I skipped the last two because they looked meh. Makes me want to play a new one but at the same time cautious. Interested in the Mario remasters too.
You are one of the examples that gets ignored by most here when people talk about "why are you so excited about anouncements and ads, it will get anounce when i tgets anounced". Some people cant just buy something if they like it, but need to manage their budget. =/

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Fire Emblem is a very good game, with a lot of content. If it's something you're already somewhat interested in I don't think you'll regret it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

Like, the games are complete?

This whole "Nintendo completes entire games and then shelves them for indefinite periods of time" thing is so weird to me the more and more I hear about it. Do any other publishers do this, or is it just a Nintendo thing? I would really like to understand the marketing methodology behind the lack of transparency.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does this means we can close the endless "Nintendo Direct Speculation" threads?
tenor.gif

This is what they WANT us to think...

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Like, the games are complete?

This whole "Nintendo completes entire games and then shelves them for indefinite periods of time" thing is so weird to me the more and more I hear about it. Do any other publishers do this, or is it just a Nintendo thing? I would really like to understand the marketing methodology behind the lack of transparency.
They like to announce and release games whenever they feel it makes the most commercial sense. According to rumors the Pikmin 3 port was supposed to release in May but got pushed back to sometime later this year, likely to cover holes left in the release schedule by a bunch of their projects moving around due to COVID.

Woylie

May 9, 2018

Fire Emblem's really good and has potentially hundreds of hours of content with the multiple paths and (pretty well-done) DLC - I'd recommend it, especially since it isn't that likely to go on a heavy sale any time soon, so less chance of regret from a major sale happening right after you buy it. It's a very good long game for being stuck in quarantine. If you're unsure about Paper Mario I'd wait for reviews, that's what I'm planning to do and I've been a big fan of the series since the N64.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Don't care.

The announcements are still coming. How things are presented doesn't matter to me.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care.

The announcements are still coming. How things are presented doesn't matter to me.
Yup! That's my opinion on this also. It's convenient getting them all at once in a Direct. But the hype cycles that follow Directs are honestly kind of ridiculous. So long as the games get announced I'm happy. Waking up to a surprise Paper Mario announcement was pretty awesome lol

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Directs definitely do shine a spotlight on smaller games, but I imagine the Indie shows might still happen regardless since they seem to be done by a different team (and rely on a lot of remote work from individual indie publishers and devs anyway)

I don't really mind the shadowdrops either, so long as they're consistent about when they drop them (and Nintendo is generally good about this anyway)

Wonder if we'll see anything this Thursday

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

But this report says one thing and concludes with another.
Eh, not really contradictory statements. They have no plans for a direct right now, but don't intend to announce anything substantial beyond the aforementioned titles until they do plan a direct. Ie, the way I read it, is that they hope that the COVID situation will be finished in a few months and those handful of releases will carry them until then. As with all plans I am sure they will revise their plans to have or not have a direct and announce or not announce other titles outside of them if a few months go by and we're in the same situation.

Ergo, it's safe to assume the in the next few months the only announcements we will be getting are the Pikmin and Mario ports, outside of maybe a Smash character since they did announce one for June back in March.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the language aspect is one thing and I give you that.

But you could, if you want, do easily a simpler one. Technically it is literally a "rando's YouTube video".
It's 90% trailer. If they have a bigger presentation of something or a bigger host for once, yes there's a bit more effort in it. But it's mostly a trailer show, don't kid yourself, speaking only about the technical part. They should do some short ones with a single topic if marketing is indeed a problem here.
If the Mario collections are a thing, why not start with this?

If they can do random Twitter drops, then they could easily technically do a Direct video about it. 🤷‍♂️
There's a huge approval process that goes into it though. A lot of the work may seem simple, but requires so many people sitting in meetings and approvals to move forward with. And with COVID-19, things are just slower in the corporate world.

How do they source the trailers? How do they reach out to teams within and outside the company?