• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
It looks like Ubisoft may have had other reasons for delaying the game; Acording to journalist/insider Jeff Grubb, the state of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is not the best; the game is visually pretty, but the gameplay is rough shape, which would have led to the delay. The information is reportedly from a month ago, which means that the problems are still likely present in the most current build of the game;

What I heard is that the game looks pretty and the gameplay is in rough shape. This was about a month ago.

View: https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1550149593698017280

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, obviously there was a reason why it got a big delay haha.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A game in rough shape many many months before release?

Truly shocking, would never have expected this.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I was just expecting Far Cry Primal with an Avatar coat of paint. How did they manage to fuck that up?

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Damn, so sad to see Ubisoft in such a shape. It was my favorite publisher back in the OG Xbox and 360 days. I don't even want to ask about the new Splinter Cell, my heart is old and it gets easily broken.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I wonder how much of this is from the massive upheaval after Ubisoft's toxic culture and problems were revealed, and the subsequent shakeup in some management areas. Like is it a situation where Ubisoft wasn't ready to cleanly fill in those gaps, and it's causing development issues? Or just coincidence?

It seemed like for a while there they had things down to a science for good and bad, where they could churn out big games at a steady clip, at the cost of them all being similar templates. So them suddenly having multiple big setbacks feels a bit new for them.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I think it will turn out okay, still. I'm sure they can get this in a better state with the much-needed delay it just got.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
ubisoft went from the workhorse company to a mess on almost level real quick

call it karma for the shit they pulled and swept under the rug

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
2030 with the 9th sequel

For real though, Ubisoft seems like it's bleeding bad, at least from our perspective

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
"Looks good but lacks substance" is par for the course with Avatar, so I'd say they're on the right track.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I always assumed it would be a reskinned Far Cry. I am guessing they tried something different enough to run into trouble?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I was weirdly looking forward to this, even though I'm tired of the Ubi formula and don't really care about the Avatar films. Something about that initial trailer just appealed to me.

Hopefully they have the time to pull it together now.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Has me worried that the game is going to end up as another casualty of the "Ubi Formula". So it'll end up just being Watch Dogs Legion/Far Cry where there's stuff to do on the map with a checklist and that's kind of the whole game.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think this gets cancelled

Not a chance. The film is going to be huge and they probably paid a fortune for the license not to mention probably well over 100 million in development costs so far.

Did we think they delayed it just for fun? Obviously something was in bad shape.

Well before we knew this info it could have been delayed because not all the content is finished or they're giving the team a handful more months for polishing. A delay doesn't have to signify problems with development or that the project is in bad shape.