• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was weird that a game supposedly coming this year hadn't shown off gameplay and also hadn't been showcased by Ubisoft in like a year.
so it being in rough shape and getting delayed isn't surprising.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
This is Ubisoft's Massive Entertainment team right? My experience playing The Division 2's endgame completely put me off of Ubisoft games. There was just endless patches attempting/failing to balance gear and special abilities that only upended the gear needed on a near weekly/monthly basis. Massive Entertainment play tested and 'balanced' their game with automated bots with all damage builds that completely negated defense/tech builds; had outrageous bugs like ai enemies walking around with SMGs that shot bullets with grenade like damage values on each bullet; and released an end-game raid that was so bad that the 12 people I played the game with completely quit the game.

I hope that the team works out the problems with this Avatar game, but I'm going to avoid this one. I'll see what the community says about the endgame a few months after release this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for another person to make a "just like the movie" post.

I think Ubi would be over the moon if the game will be received als well critically and commercially as the movie was.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Ubisoft may have had other reasons for delaying the game; Acording to journalist/insider Jeff Grubb, the state of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is not the best; the game is visually pretty, but the gameplay is rough shape, which would have led to the delay. The information is reportedly from a month ago, which means that the problems are still likely present in the most current build of the game;

View: https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1550149593698017280

Don't really see the gameplay problems of a title not due until late 2023 or sometime in 2024 as being any kind of issue, honestly. This is just how game development works. If the issues hadn't been fixed by and Ubisoft decided not to delay there would be a serious problem*, but now it just doesn't matter any too much. Sounds like Ubisoft did the responsible thing with the delay.

*serious problem for Ubisoft. It's really fairly simple to ignore bad games and play something else.

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
they should take the time they need as the ip itself looks pretty much money-printer it they do things right

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Pour one out for Eywa :(

For real tho, was at least interested to see what this would be. Massive is making it, right? They tend to make games that are at least interesting

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't want to discredit Grubb, I believe he genuinely reports on a rumor, but this is the most obvious rumor ever. We know the game shares assets with the movie and we've seen incredible visuals, so if it gets delayed by maybe two years, it's pretty obviously to do with the gameplay.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
they should take the time they need as the ip itself looks pretty much money-printer it they do things right

I wonder about that one, honestly. Does anyone expect Avatar 2 to do much? I'm not hearing any excitement about the movie anywhere. I can't say I've really got my finger on the pulse of the entertainment world, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Has me worried that the game is going to end up as another casualty of the "Ubi Formula". So it'll end up just being Watch Dogs Legion/Far Cry where there's stuff to do on the map with a checklist and that's kind of the whole game.

My secret hope is that it's in bad shape because they're trying to change things up and not follow the Formula, and running into more road blocks because they're in uncharted waters.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder about that one, honestly. Does anyone expect Avatar 2 to do much? I'm not hearing any excitement about the movie anywhere. I can't say I've really got my finger on the pulse of the entertainment world, so maybe I'm missing something here.

it definitely will "do much", the real question is will it do enough to justify its gargantuan even by blockbuster standards budget

pre-covid I had little doubt that it would, now I don't really know

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, it COULD end up not being great in the end, but the number of devs who'll go, "God, even a month/two months prior to release, I was worried this wasn't going to gel," is pretty high.

I feel like most games are in very bad shape during parts of their development.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So on the one hand, this makes perfect sense. On the other: in the delay thread, there were multiple posters who stated that they had heard previously the game was mostly done and just waiting for the movie to release. What I wanna know is: where the hell did the latter rumor come from if the game's actually been in bad shape for a while?

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty but not that good? Like the movie then. 🙂
ray-liotta-laughing.gif

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Man, I don't envy devs. If I was working on a project that isn't going well and someone leaks it to the internet -- I'd feel awful.

They've delayed it. So they're doing the right thing.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The real question is where is the (blank) of Pandora: VR: an Avatar Experience that fans truly crave?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does Ubisoft have any games that aren't shaping up to be rough?

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2022
Don't really see the gameplay problems of a title not due until late 2023 or sometime in 2024 as being any kind of issue, honestly. This is just how game development works. If the issues hadn't been fixed by and Ubisoft decided not to delay there would be a serious problem*, but now it just doesn't matter any too much. Sounds like Ubisoft did the responsible thing with the delay.

*serious problem for Ubisoft. It's really fairly simple to ignore bad games and play something else.

Beyond Good and Evil 2, Skull & Bones and now this. There's something really wrong with Ubisoft

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
How much rough are we talking here? Does it just need a little more time in the oven or is it a complete mess a la Skull&Bones?

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Why am I not shocked?

Good that they delayed the game. Let's hope it's not a Skull & Bones situation and game is in some kind of dev hell.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seems strange to have the game content pretty much built while the gameplay is still rough. Shouldnt it be the other way around?