GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Massive shame. I'm a fan of both the original and Zero, and was looking forward to a new take on the series.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
honestly even feels like KI is languishing sometimes, its hayday was on the xbone

shoulda had a KI2 announced by now :(

Yeah, this really needed to be jumped on sooner. Though I can understand a struggle to find a suitable dev there since that game went through a wild ride with the original double helix getting bought my amazon, and eventually iron galaxy moved to rumbleverse.

I am still mad we somehow didn't get a toys for bob banjo too. Like THE perfect dev studio for that IP.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Ngl, I'm getting very worried for the rumoured Banjo revival with all these studio closures and stories of struggling game development from Microsoft. Just feels like they have no idea what they're doing.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
It was hard to say out loud without seeming console-war-ey, but I've been saying for years that Microsoft is gobbling up publishers and studios because of the state of their first party studios behind the scenes.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Was this always the plan? First I'm hearing of this. Got any interviews/articles talking about this?

Sure thing. Read the articles below. Gallagher talks about staying small and agile so it can work on a variety of projects, while also talking about partnering with devs worldwide.

I don't believe that went to plan though. I imagine they are squarely focused on getting Perfect Dark out the door, with a core team at The Initiative overseeing dev with Crystal Dynamics.

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox Game Studios 'The Initiative' talks 'staying small, staying agile'

Microsoft is setting expectations for its The Initiative studio, "staying small and staying agile" for its early days.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think we get Beyond Good and Evil 2 before this game

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was shocked to see Rebekah Valentine (who I adore, no disrespect) report that Perfect Dark had recovered from a rocky period because I'd heard continuously bad things and I continue to hear them. At this point, I'd bet money it'll never see the light of day. And a lot of that, I'm sorry to say, comes from Gallagher, Amos, and Rosenberg, just as much as it does from Microsoft's mismanagement. They have all made pretty consistently terrible decisions in their respective tenures, to say nothing of their being behind some of the worst crunch in the industry. There are a lot of lovely people at Crystal Dynamics, but the studio has a terrible culture problem seemingly designed to chew up and spit out talented developers in order to prop up the careers of veterans who've failed upwards for far too long.

Well fuck.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sure thing. Read the articles below. Gallagher talks about staying small and agile so it can work on a variety of big projects, while also talking about partnering with devs worldwide.

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox Game Studios 'The Initiative' talks 'staying small, staying agile'

Microsoft is setting expectations for its The Initiative studio, "staying small and staying agile" for its early days.

Thanks!

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Yeah, I was shocked to see Rebekah Valentine (who I adore, no disrespect) report that Perfect Dark had recovered from a rocky period because I'd heard continuously bad things and I continue to hear them. At this point, I'd bet money it'll never see the light of day. And a lot of that, I'm sorry to say, comes from Gallagher, Amos, and Rosenberg, just as much as it does from Microsoft's mismanagement. They have all made pretty consistently terrible decisions in their respective tenures, to say nothing of their being behind some of the worst crunch in the industry. There are a lot of lovely people at Crystal Dynamics, but the studio has a terrible culture problem seemingly designed to chew up and spit out talented developers in order to prop up the careers of veterans who've failed upwards for far too long.
Gallagher is the head of The Initiative, but i'm unfamiliar with the other two names. Also from TI or Crystal Dynamics?

Edit: googled it and Amos and Rosenberg are to co-heads of Crystal Dynamics, oof. What is up with this industry and having shitty people at the top, man.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So are CD going to be doing this and also their big budget Tomb Raider games at the same time? Or are they just going to peace out soon because they have fulfilled their contract or whatever?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Even Crystal Dynamics being brought in is not enough to turn this around after all this time.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has Microsoft under Phil Spencer release any really good game that wasn't bought out outside of Forza and Flight Simulator? What a disgrace of management. So many studios, so many good IPs and talented developers.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Nadella needs to clean house at Xbox department. Management there seems not very competent. I recall someone posting a video from somebody, who was at Xbox since early days, and they said that after Moore left things deteriorated quickly and basically turned into a cronyism infested shit show. I definitely believe that.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gallagher is the head of The Initiative, but i'm unfamiliar with the other two names. Also from TI or Crystal Dynamics?

Amos and Rosenberg took over as co heads of studio at Crystal Dynamics after Gallagher left. Notably, Rosenberg was in hot water just a year before that transition for giving that infamous quote about the player wanting to protect Lara from being raped.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Notably, Rosenberg was in hot water just a year before that transition for giving the quote about the player wanting to protect Lara from being raped.
jfc. thanks for the insight. shame since PD has (had?) a lot of potential for a modern game imo... but yeah seems it will never happen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Has Microsoft under Phil Spencer release any really good game that wasn't bought out outside of Forza and Flight Simulator? What a disgrace of management. So many studios, so many good IPs and talented developers.
Sea of Theieves (though took a bit for it to get good). I think Gears 4 and Gears 5 were great too, but both had some rough patches if I remember.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Not surprised and maybe expecting a cancellation at some point. They have really misshandled the Rare properties in a very stupid way.

Who makes these choices? Why not try to make a great Banjo or a sequel to Kameo or something like Viva Piñata? Why Perfect Dark when they have other shooters. Why Perfect Dark without some good idea/commitment to something real?

A PD game in the style of the og N64 is not AAA these days. I am sure they don't want some mediocre cinematic SP game, they want some multi or something else, but how is it so hard to come up with something good?

Anyone know if Fable is doing better. I really need Fable to be great or I will lose every ounce of hope with MS.

After this gen I really don't see how MS is not just Gamepass they are fumbling everything that I care about.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
How the fuck has satya not gutted Xbox management after all these years. Clearly there is a fucking problem, it's not just one studio.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Such a great IP too. Such potential. I feel like in this day and age, just make an uncharted like and it'll probably do gangbusters. Feels like even Sony aren't making those kinds of games anymore.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Damn. Sounds like the studio's been through the wringer (on multiple fronts) these last few years. Wish that wasn't the case but I appreciate the insight

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
All that money spent and they can't ship a game. What the fuck at the Xbox Division what a goddamn unmitigated disaster.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of publishers Microsoft should buy managers who know what the hell they're doing. What an insane day.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's a tricky property to revive as arguably Goldeneye/Perfect Dark are quite archaic by FPS standards.

Something like an Imsim with sandbox levels and a lot of player choice in how to approach objectives is probably not a bad idea.

Actually, Arkane would have been a good fit for the project.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Not surprised and maybe expecting a cancellation at some point. They have really misshandled the Rare properties in a very stupid way.

Who makes these choices? Why not try to make a great Banjo or a sequel to Kameo or something like Viva Piñata? Why Perfect Dark when they have other shooters. Why Perfect Dark without some good idea/commitment to something real?

A PD game in the style of the og N64 is not AAA these days. I am sure they don't want some mediocre cinematic SP game, they want some multi or something else, but how is it so hard to come up with something good?

Anyone know if Fable is doing better. I really need Fable to be great or I will lose every ounce of hope with MS.

After this gen I really don't see how MS is not just Gamepass they are fumbling everything that I care about.
I mean they tried Banjo, it lead to Nuts&Bolt.
Industry wisdom lead them to believe that following that up with anything was a mistake and considering how 3D platformers are super popular outside of Mario...
Viva Piñata I have no idea why they didn't follow it through even with anything mobile or anything.

PD seems like a no brainer frankly, even if they CoD the campaign like that Goldeneye game just the multiplayer should have carried the project.
It's insane that the company that has created Halo is unable to make anything with Perfect fucking Dark!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
tumblr_inline_nszrw652WV1qdw8jk_500.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
having a smaller design studio work with a larger AAA studio doing a lot of the technical heavy lifting doesn't seem that crazy, but you need good management, good content pipelines and good synchronicity between the studios and MS doesn't seem to have any of that.