Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Was a bit shocking to me to see PD out of all their IPs to be chosen for development.
It's an old school console shooter without much going for it even in the nostalgia department.
It would have to be a 100% reimagining / reboot at this point to be anywhere close to success.

Every project starts with "we're putting together a team".
Well, it was probably choosen beacuse it was best IP to use for FPS to revive back then.

Jul 2, 2021

avgn.gif

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I still remember the Xbox Game Showcase 2020 when Perfect Dark was announced, along with Everwild, Fable, State of Decay 3, ...

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
There were other insiders who said they had heard similar things to Grubb, and I'm not sure what to take from Nate saying "it's not in that bad of a state."

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
Person 1: "I've heard it's in a really rough state"

Person 2: "My sources tell me it's not that bad.."

Person 3: "well, as a developer, you'd be how surprised just how rough most games can be, right up until the 11th hour when they somehow come together…"

LMAO this is too entertaining

Oct 25, 2017
Grubb is usually always incorrect. Him saying this game was in trouble was a very positive development

Grubb says something no one else is talking about yet, someone else clarifies something about the topic that is subjective or semantical. Usually something that Grubb already went over as a possibility in the original statement that gets missed because it makes the thread title to long.

Wow why is Grubb always wrong!!

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
So basically just put whatever out there, and then follow up with more people later

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"All the people were telling me the game was in rough shape and kind of a disaster, but after another insider disputed this now suddenly everyone is telling me it's fine and will probably be at the showcase."

Okay, Grubb.
Thats fucking Jeff Grubb

Idk why people here on era love him so much but he is often wrong with lots of things.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
So was Alex Donaldson also reporting outdated info?

View: https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1787865521251139813

Like, laugh at Grubb all you want, but he wasn't exactly alone in saying the game was in trouble. Again, maybe it was all based on outdated reports and the team went dark to figure their shit out.

That tweet also doesn't refute the idea that they could have gotten it together, or when the problems happened. Rebekah Valentine's report last year said they were turning or already had turned a corner on it.

These things are nuanced and multiple things can be true. It depends on perspective.

Judge

Oct 25, 2017

Like, laugh at Grubb all you want, but he wasn't exactly alone in saying the game was in trouble. Again, maybe it was all based on outdated reports and the team went dark to figure their shit out.

Every game made has interesting stories, and many are rocky along the way and come together in the 11th hour. Not to say this game isn't a mess and has been messier than others (we kinda assume it's been rough considering they had to bring in Crystal Dynamics in the first place), but that tweet doesn't really address the here and now, or whether it's gotten better.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Can you imagine Jason Schrier backtracking like this?

Jason: Hey Starfield is going to get delayed, its in a bit of a rough spot
Another Insider: Actually I heard it was good now./
Jason: Actually yeah, I heard the same thing.

I like Grubb and he is more accurate than, but he does seem to jump to conclusions a little.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Every game made has interesting stories, and many are rocky along the way and come together in the 11th hour. Not to say this game isn't a mess and has been messier than others (we kinda assume it's been rough considering they had to bring in Crystal Dynamics in the first place), but that tweet doesn't really address the here and now, or whether it's gotten better.

It would be good if they were able to get over the hump in development, Perfect Dark would be a great franchise for a revival so in that sense I do look forward to it if it's on track.

Considering there's a real bad atmosphere around MS atm, I suppose bad news radiates more quickly.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is he put this information out and then two days after Nate says he's heard differently, Grubb suddenly says, "yeah I've heard differently now too."

It makes him look terrible.

Judge

Oct 25, 2017
It would be good if they were able to get over the hump in development, Perfect Dark would be a great franchise for a revival so in that sense I do look forward to it if it's on track.

Considering there's a real bad atmosphere around MS atm, I suppose bad news radiates more quickly.
Ya I can't say I blame people. MS themselves created this atmosphere of games in poor state and definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt in situations like this haha. I really don't doubt the game (like a lot of there other recent ones) have some, let's say, interesting stories attached to it.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I am much more likely to take a person seriously who takes the L instead of doubling down and twisting themselves into knots to escape it. Good on Grubb.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I seen a lot of times a grubb clarify video these last years haha

The basic cycle is like this:

- Jeff Grubb: says something with caveats during a long discussion on a podcast.
- The internet: reposting stuff he said without any context or nuance.
- Also the internet: gets mad.
- Jeff Grubb: clarifies

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The basic cycle is like this:

- Jeff Grubb: says something with caveats during a long discussion on a podcast.
- The internet: reposting stuff he said without any context or nuance.
- Also the internet: gets mad.
- Jeff Grubb: clarifies

The above is a nonsensical accounting of what happened here, and in most of the other similar situations.

I don't blame anyone for a second for seeing the insider update from Grubb as being totally plausible. Anyone with a sense of this hobby/industry really should get that same feeling based on recent events, even without any experience in the professional field behind it all. Which is why this actually adds to my presumption that Grubb basically acted in bad-faith: That general feeling of unease would presumably reveal a niche for parallel news items, and in response he basically used a slurry of real (if out-of-date) information to make a new, specific claim without the kind of diligence needed to know if it's accurate or not. Being basically immediately called out, he then has a chameleon-like transition to stating the opposite of what he original brought into the convo. If he had done any substantial checking in the first place ("substantial" meaning with real substance, I'm not demanding some long-form, Schreier-level investigative endeavor), he would have been able to point to those info points in his own reasoning.

Sardonic Edit: It would be unfortunate if while we're still discussing this situation, another insurance where Grubb introduces a new "there's definitely smoke" style rumor (about a different studio supposedly working on a second project), and it's almost immediately disproven.

Last edited: