• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Johnny Klebitz - GTA IV The Lost and the Damned
2550295-johnny_klebitz_by_kenin140-d3g89gt.png
Too bad he got his head caved in

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why does it have to be a competition? That said, weren't Jews slaves to Egyptians (who included Black people)? I thought black racism is more recent than anti-semitisim too in the big scheme of things.

All historical and archaeological evidence points to this being total fiction. There's no evidence Israelites were in Egypt at that supposed time, let alone as slaves, an institution that really wasn't much of a thing in ancient Egypt. Especially on the scale Exodus describes.

Too bad he got his head caved in

And that's why you don't do drugs. Unless you're Trevor.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Are jews a big minority group? Serious question.

There's a lot of big minority groups that are barely ever represented in gaming, let alone smaller ones or non-american minorities, and even then they don't get much representation.

Oct 25, 2017
We need more representation of everyone, frankly. The first Assassin's Creed holds a special place in my heart for being the only game I've personally played where Arabs are featured prominently and aren't the bad guys or painted in a relatively unfavorable light next to their European neighbors.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it counts but Golurk is supposed to be a reference to not only Golems but the Hebrew story The Golem of Prague.

latest

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User warned: rude and uncalled for, don't post if you are not interested in the topic
According to Wikipedia, Jews make up .2% of the world's population. Judging by this thread, they are over represented.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Muslims are about 20 % the world population and i can't think of one muslim main protagonist in a game. I don't think it's really a jewish issue more than a global trend to not include minorities in games. Very recently we're seeing positive (but limited) changes.

Also, giving the absolute lack of arabic translation of 99 % games, i really doubt that sales in the islamic world have any kind of role here. Furthermore ,if games likes CoD were you basically bombing and killing your own people are selling very well in those countries, i don't think that having a jewish protagonist will be an issue sell-wise.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are gaming development companies and studios from Israel and Arabic countries? Has there been any AAA game made there? I cannot think of any.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Muslims are about 20 % the world population and i can't think of one muslim main protagonist in a game.

Also, giving the absolute lack of arabic translation of 99 % games, i really doubt that sales in the islamic world have any kind of role here. Furthermore ,if games likes CoD were you basically bombing and killing your own people are selling very well in those countries, i don't think that having a jewish protagonist will be an issue sell-wise.

I don't think they would ban/boycott a game because of Jewish protagonist. Many movies have jewish characters and they do well in Muslim countries. They have a problem with the country Israel, not the Jews themselves.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I may be naive but is Jewish a race? I know it's a religion and a nation of sorts but a race?? Idk

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be some antisemitism right here in this thread, which is disturbing and drives home the reasons behind lack of representation. It's been literally thousands of years, but hopefully we are approaching a future where Jewish actors don't have to change their names, and Jewish characters have better positive representation in games.

I made the Italian characters thread, but I can actually make 25% claim to this thread as well through a Russian Jewish grandmother! I had no idea Otacon was Jewish. Cool!

Naughty Dog was founded by Jews.
This is another really cool thing I didn't know. I don't often hear about the contributions of Jewish people to our industry, but I would certainly love to!

I don't think there's much representation of religion in general when it comes to games.
I may be naive but is Jewish a race? I know it's a religion and a nation of sorts but a race?? Idk
You know, back in my day, a post was considered to be a reply to the OP, which you would have already read.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very obscure fact but Doomguy is Jewish. Gordon Freeman is jewish. Sonic the Hedgehog is Jewish. And Turok the Dinosaur Hunter is jewish.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Muslims are about 20 % the world population and i can't think of one muslim main protagonist in a game. I don't think it's really a jewish issue more than a global trend to not include minorities in games. Very recently we're seeing positive (but limited) changes.

Prince of Persia, depending on what time period the game is set.
Altair in the first Assassin's Creed kiiiiiind of? He's from a Muslim family but clearly isn't a practicing Muslim.
There was a cheesy Uncharted clone I bought on Steam called Unearthed that has a large Muslim cast, including the player character. Hardly a high profile game, though.

Not trying to say Muslims are represented properly or enough, just wanted to note a few in case you were interested.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally aware that anti semitism exists but I don't think it's the reason for the lack of representation at all. Honestly, most Jewish people look white (at least in my country they are considered white people) and you would have to identify them by their surnames. You would almost always have to bring into the story something to show their heritage, because they basically don't visually stand out as minority.

And if the game doesn't have a thematic that touches the subject directly, like religion or racism, the way you would bring that into story could look stereotypical or done for the sake of "here, we have a Jewish character" like the Shoshanna talked above.

The Jewish characters I remember now:

Bruno Levine and Isaac, from Mafia II:

latest

latest

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this day and age, anti semetism is also blurred as a concept, due to the conflation of the israeli state's horrible actions and the actual jewish people themselves

anti-semitism is not blurred as a concept. it's prejudice against Jews. that's quite clear, actually. people intentionally blur anti-semitism all the time for various reasons, however, but the concept itself is not blurred at all. also you shouldn't conflate all Jewish people with the state of Israel. that happens all the time too and it's not ok. edit: to be clear I was not accusing you of conflating all Jewish people with the state of Israel, you brought it up and it's an important thing to speak on. wanted to make that clear.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Seems to be some antisemitism right here in this thread

What qualifies as antisemitism?

anti-semitism is not blurred as a concept. it's prejudice against Jews. that's quite clear, actually. people intentionally blur anti-semitism all the time for various reasons, however, but the concept itself is not blurred at all. also you shouldn't conflate all Jewish people with the state of Israel. that happens all the time too and it's not ok.

I think you've misinterpreted me. I said antisemitism is blurred as a concept today. Meaning that many people see the israeli state and jews as the same and hate them both under the banner as antisemitism even though they can be diametrically opposed(see J Street). I also meant that people cry antisemitism when people criticize the israeli state as if it was an attack on the jewish people itself, when that is also not really the actual case.

The term antisemitism and what and why people hate and what they hate is all mixed up.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We were speaking about muslims, not arabs. Most game developers live in very multicultural countries, yet the games they produce don't reflect this diversity. Why ?

Checking, wiki, the US, largest melting pot that there is, has 3 million muslim people out of 300 million population. Maybe not many of those are in gamedev, so they are not pushing for the representation? I don't know.

I know that there are no games with Czech (my country) protagonist either, and since nobody else is going to make it, one local studio (Warhorse) decided to do it and make a game about our country and history.

Arab world population is ~400 million. Muslims are ~1.8 billion. Most of them are not even Arabs.

Ok? Still does not answer my question. Are there any games from muslim majority countries or Israel that would make it internationally?

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prince of Persia, depending on what time period the game is set.
Altair in the first Assassin's Creed kiiiiiind of? He's from a Muslim family but clearly isn't a practicing Muslim.
There was a cheesy Uncharted clone I bought on Steam called Unearthed that has a large Muslim cast, including the player character. Hardly a high profile game, though.

Not trying to say Muslims are represented properly or enough, just wanted to note a few in case you were interested.

Yeah i remember this clone, about Altair i was thinking about this but i think that AC main protagonists are more like masons in belief, especially Ezio en AC 2 about what he said when he kill somebody.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017

I think in America they were recognized as a race for legal purposes but they are a religion. Anyone can become one, there are blacks, asians who are jews, just as there are black, asian and white muslims, or catholics etc.

Yes. It was racialized for centuries, so you can be jew, non-israeli and atheist.

Then what does that make Sammy Davis Jr.? Mixed race because he converted to Judaism? No, he's black.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checking, wiki, the US, largest melting pot that there is, has 3 million muslim people out of 300 million population. Maybe not many of those are in gamedev, so they are not pushing for the representation? I don't know.

France is about 10 % muslims, UK is 5 %.
Also giving the place of jewish community in the US/Western cultural history, it's indeed weird that they are not that much represented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.