• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So apparently, Rare and Microsoft invited the press/media to play the full game of Sea of Thieves earlier this week and on February 13, they will be allowed to post their first impressions about stuff that isn't in the Beta (the embargo will lift). Jez Corden first tweeted about this but Craig Duncan (from Rare)'s tweet seems to confirm it.

Craig Duncan:

Jez Corden:

https://twitter.com/jezcorden/status/958320001924165632
https://twitter.com/jezcorden/status/958301452308570112
"Any concerns I had about Sea of Thieves are now gone. This will be 2018's PUBG."

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I have concerns before the beta, but after — most of them are gone.
The concern seems to be that there's not much to do in the Beta and that in the full game, that will get boring and stale after a week. What the press seems to have played was an early build of the full game with a lot more content (considering it's releasing on March 30 they will likely take a few weeks to polish it and then it will go gold)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
TFW Rare goes from crapping out uninspired Kinect games to delivering the potential 2018 GOTY.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what it'll include. Rare has said many times they want surprises for players at launch, so no one should expect massive new things - I don't think we'll see the kraken. Possibly details on the large scale "public events"

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Oh Jesus, I am so ridiculously hyped for this after the beta.

March 20th can't get here soon enough, over a month of hype from Journos beforehand is going to be an incredible train.

MWorldII

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
The concern seems to be that there's not much to do in the Beta and that in the full game, that will get boring and stale after a week.
Yep, but during the beta i have a small talk with GamesIndustry's Christopher Dring on Twitter, who pointed on some activities that wasn't available in the beta, like story missions.
Honestly, before the beta i was more concerned about main mechanics, cooperative elements and etc, but all of it were great in beta, so only question remaining is variety and quality of activities.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice! Looking forward to that. Really enjoyed what I got to play of the beta, but it is obviously lacking. So much potential here. I hope Rare comes through!

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get a chance to play the beta, but I had to watch hours of it on Twitch In my spare time.

The game looks great.

I think most of my (and many other people's) worries are based in the variety of missions/enemies/locations.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I didn't get a chance to play the beta, but I had to watch hours of it on Twitch In my spare time.

The game looks great.

I think most of my (and many other people's) worries are based in the variety of missions/enemies/locations.
There's evil mermaids and there's pigs, chickens and snakes (that you can kill but you are supposed to capture them in cages in return for rewards). That's what they've shown in their YouTube videos anyway.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been following this game much, but will single player gamers have a place in it or is it strictly coop stuff?

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I haven't been following this game much, but will single player gamers have a place in it or is it strictly coop stuff?
You can play it single player, there's a small boat for single player where you don't have to manage as much stuff but it's in the same online shared world as everyone else (meaning you will see other players boats).

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure the SP boat is faster? I thought it was the same boat size and same speed as the 2 player boat.

I played yesterday with a 2 man boat and the 4 player one easily matched my speed (and destroyed me). Pretty sure they are the same speed but the bigger one is harder to turn.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
That was only because Kinect was big, they've always had talent, their only mistake was branding Nuts & Bolts as Banjo-Kazooie, because that's not what I associate BK with, should've been a new IP.
Nuts & Bolts was amazing, I thought it fit but I know I'm in the minority.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the beta and it was okay but MHW really stole my attention.

That "will be 2018's PUBG" tweet is straight hyperbole tho. It has a lot of promise but let's be real here. Nothing can be 20-30M in a year that easily.

I wonder why they're letting them play the full game 37 days before launch. Seems really early, why not release it early?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PUBG 2018? LMAO

I would just say SOT could be the next Minecraft sensation.

For example, my nephew loved Minecraft. I showed him last weekend the beta of SOT, he is now counting down the days for the official release. This game is going to huge as long as MS and RARE keep updating it with content.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Curious what it'll include. Rare has said many times they want surprises for players at launch, so no one should expect massive new things - I don't think we'll see the kraken. Possibly details on the large scale "public events"

I think we will see the Kraken. In the latest Inn-sider Joe said they aim to deliver everything shown in the E3 2016 trailer for launch.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I tried the beta and it was okay but MHW really stole my attention.

That "will be 2018's PUBG" tweet is straight hyperbole tho. It has a lot of promise but let's be real here. Nothing can be 20-30M in a year that easily.

I wonder why they're letting them play the full game 37 days before launch. Seems really early, why not release it early?
Typically we see games go "gold" (meaning ready to box up into physical discs and packaging to ship) a month or so before the game's actual release. Considering we are basically about to be in February, I'd bet that they'll take a few weeks to polish up the game and fix bugs but the core content of the game won't change too much. They'll polish the game, fix it up and then it will go gold at the end of February then release March.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Hmmm, PUBG 2018? I'm really skeptical since I've played all of the alphas and the beta. Can't really see this as anything that will last longer than its release month in all honesty

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
PUBG 2018? LMAO

For example, my nephew loved Minecraft. I showed him last weekend the beta of SOT, he is now counting down the days for the official release. This game is going to huge as long as MS and RARE keep updating it with content.
Rare said they have a two year roadmap with DLC, updates and expansions planned for the 24 months after launch.

GTSweet

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
PUBG 2018? LMAO

I think this is a huge thing for SOT, the younger audience can play it. Played with my son and nephew, both of them had a blast just being pirates. There's no gore and you can just explore and goof around solo/duo as much as you want. It should just keep growing and growing if cared for with content and updates.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
LMAO@PUBG2018

Anyway, the game looks great and I hope many people will play it thanks to Game Pass.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always intrigued by the core concept, but I wasn't sure I'd enjoy actually playing it. Having tried the beta I have no doubts, this game is incredibly fun, charming, has tons of attention to detail and it's just a brilliant canvas for stories to be written by the players - not unlike PUBG in that where the rules are simple but the possibilities are huge, hence exciting stories and memories are created. Hopefully the full game will be full of content so it doesn't become a content waiting game a là Destiny. Looking forward to that embargo lift.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I think this is a huge thing for SOT, the younger audience can play it. Played with my son and nephew, both of them had a blast just being pirates. There's no gore and you can just explore and goof around solo/duo as much as you want. It should just keep growing and growing if cared for with content and updates.
There is drinking and getting drunk in it (along with effects like walking funny and wavy lines, things getting blurry) And this is also a cooperative game where a microphone is practically required if you're playing it in a crew so there will be swearing from other players.

GTSweet

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There is drinking and getting drunk in it (along with effects like walking funny and wavy lines, things getting blurry) And this is also a cooperative game where a microphone is practically required if you're playing it in a crew so there will be swearing from other players.

Valid points! Especially the alcohol / drunkeness. It's done in a comical, cartoony way but definitely will affect the games rating. Not worried as much about the other crew mates as I'll be there to create a party or mute as needed. Parenting still required!

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
Very interested. Sea of Thieves pleasantly surprised me.
Such a blast playing with friends.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
There is drinking and getting drunk in Looney Toons, they'll be fine. (though Looney Toons wasn't interactive)

Also the embargo that is lifting is a Preview embargo, not a review embargo (as Theorry stated)