SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Never heard that before.

It was a pretty common saying at the time, especially with Square releasing statements on why FFXIII did not have any towns ("HD towns are hard", compared to LO which had multiple cities / towns), and why the original releases of FFXIII only came with 1 audio track because of space issues. (LO has 5 voice-over language options)

Also comparing critic scores from back then is a bit disingenuous to determine quality imo. That was when action based jrpgs were all the rage and LO was knocked points for being an "outdated" turn based JRPG.

On a side note, I personally liked LO. Yeah the main villain was lame and predictable, but certain parts of the main story and many of the text stories are burned into my memory. Like one of your immortal party members reuniting with her long lost 70 year old son.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If MS is bothering I want both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey remasters. Why the fuck not?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I could maybe even understand it if they were like "well, we shot our shot at being competitive again and it just didn't work out", but... they didn't.

Yep.
I wrote elsewhere that they seem to be hitting the panic button before they can even asses the results of their acquisition spree.
Sure there's Starfield and it didn't move the needle (let's be honest, it was no TES) and neither did HiFi Rush. Hellblade 2 won't.
But it's a long term investment.

Unless they want to make more people familiar with their games and then withdraw when they're in demand. They might be going multiplatform now, but might not stay multiplatform when next gen hits. Or when that COD contract expires.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
If MS is bothering I want both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey remasters. Why the fuck not?

But if there is choice to be made between the two, at least for now, then you have to go with Blue Dragon. Perhaps the performance and feedback of one remaster drives the other.

I for one am glad that MS appears to be going back and taking a look at some of the under appreciated games of the 360 era.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Crackdown 3 is not a bad game. A game doesn't have to be great to be good and fun. The gaming world needs Crackdown 3's!

Look, I don't want to derail the thread, but I consider it to be terrible. I agree that a game doesn't need to be great to have fun, I live Deadly Premonition. But it's uhh. Yes.

Maybe disappointing is a better word. It's in my top 3 most disappointing games ever. A franchise that had hope that Microsoft basically took a massive dump on and tried to pretend it was gravy. Crackdown 1 was great, but they took something that had potential and warped it to a mere husk if what it once was. There is an alternative universe out there where it is a key pillar of Xbox, instead of being mocked by weirdos like me. Microsoft should be ashamed of what they did to Crackdown.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Look, I don't want to derail the thread, but I consider it to be terrible. I agree that a game doesn't need to be great to have fun, I live Deadly Premonition. But it's uhh. Yes.

Maybe disappointing is a better word. It's in my top 3 most disappointing games ever. A franchise that had hope that Microsoft basically took a massive dump on and tried to pretend it was gravy. Crackdown 1 was great, but they took something that had potential and warped it to a mere husk if what it once was. There is an alternative universe out there where it is a key pillar of Xbox, instead of being mocked by weirdos like me. Microsoft should be ashamed of what they did to Crackdown.

I don't think C3 was ever going to be a pillar of Xbox like gears or Halo. But I do agree they put more hype and pressure on it than was needed and it's hard for it to live up to its B+ nature in a AAA world. C1 was a fun surprise. C2 is TERRIBLE. C3, in my opinion if it's stripped away from the cloud hype, was a solid crackdown game and a reminder of the ton of great B tier games from the 360/PS3 era we don't seem to get anymore.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My memory of all 3 crackdowns is that they are all essentially the exact same game, 2 almost quite literally. So saying one is significantly worse than the others feels weird to me at least and more like a symptom of when you played them vs expectation. 1 and 2 came out so close to each other they where basically a blur. Like the only personality and differentiation they had between them was the Voice coms telling you who to kill and why.

2 giving you mobs of zombies to blow up, instead of just more gang menbers on top of a cooler looking suit and a glider, put it over the top for me personally even though I can acknowledge I was doing the exact same thing at Basically every moment in all 3 games. Which is obsessively scouting the horizon and listening for the hums.

That's a play box series that deserves the Earth Defensive Force like treatment. Make a super cheap sequel every few years that looks and runs slightly better each time with a few new toys. Publishers NEED to play with the cheap iterative sequels market. Everything can't just be AAA and gass

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Every year I head into these showcases praying for something Banjo, and every year I walk away disappointed. Is this year? Probably not, but I'm gonna keep hoping anyway.

Apr 24, 2018
I held off so long on starting Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey with the hopes they'd get performance boosts. Looks like I'm now in for a remaster/remake for at least one of these two games...

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Are we still in the era where we are just going to get trailers with no gameplay or have we progressed from there yet. And I'm speaking from an overall industry practice.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Are we still in the era where we are just going to get trailers with no gameplay or have we progressed from there yet. And I'm speaking from an overall industry practice.

I feel like we'll always get CG trailers, as they are mainly used for a hiring tool.

With that said, I think we'll see a lot of gameplay this year as games get ready.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
If there's new hardware being released later this year (whether it's an Xbox controller with haptic feedback or a new model of Series X, etc.), is it safe to assume that it'd be part of this showcase in some way? Even if it's a pre-show or after-show thing? Or would there be a different time to expect anything like that?

beebop

May 30, 2023
If there's new hardware being released later this year (whether it's an Xbox controller with haptic feedback or a new model of Series X, etc.), is it safe to assume that it'd be part of this showcase in some way? Even if it's a pre-show or after-show thing? Or would there be a different time to expect anything like that?
A new Xbox revision is going to be an interesting pitch during a showcase that apparently has some multiplatform strategy information:

"All our games are coming to other hardware. Also, buy our new box with no redeeming utility"

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
i need clockwork revolution. Was a huge surprise they showed gameplay with their reveal last year. Looks like they are moving fast dev wise.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.
I wrote elsewhere that they seem to be hitting the panic button before they can even asses the results of their acquisition spree.
Sure there's Starfield and it didn't move the needle (let's be honest, it was no TES) and neither did HiFi Rush. Hellblade 2 won't.
But it's a long term investment.

Unless they want to make more people familiar with their games and then withdraw when they're in demand. They might be going multiplatform now, but might not stay multiplatform when next gen hits. Or when that COD contract expires.

the thing keeping COD Multiplatform isn't a contract.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hype trailers with no gameplay don't bother me, but if you do one. You better have it followed by real gameplay in maximum of 4 months. This shit that is 2-3-4 years is one of the problems i think is effecting the industry. You show gameplay 3 months before launch, no one likes it, and now you scrambling and grinding, and still launch something people hate