• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
MHW 2
Persona 6
FF16, KH4, FF17
DQ 12

to be PS5 exclusive in Japan.

PS4 also had all of those yet Nintendo dominated Japan. If Sony wants a piece of cake that's Japanese market, they have to focus on countering Nintendo giants like Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. I don't think they have any chance for that.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I was just breaking down what the article said because I feel like a lot of people(not you) saw "Sony is sidelining Japan" rather than actually reading it.

I've read it. And understood it plenty.

If you've noticed, I didn't participate in that thread because while there are stuff that I don't agree with in the reporting - both from personal assessment or my own ear-on-the ground, fundamentally I don't disagree that Sony has not done a great job when it comes to giving extra care and attention to the Japanese market, and in fact - I'm quite confident that they don't intend to to give extra care/attention to the Japanese market.

Mind you, that doesn't mean Japan is sidelined/unimportant to SIE. It just means they won't be "aggressive" in the market for the sake of growing beyond their traditional lifetime expectations of how PS5 would do there. There won't be attempts to deliver lightning-in-the-bottle games or investments to have equivalent of games that delivered multi-million sales in Japan by the competition. Or even extra special care for niche/AA markets, because let's face it - they aren't gonna chase that extra 100k audience either.

My own business view of the matter is that Japan is basically a 'mature-market-in-decline' for PlayStation, where it remains in the top five markets by country for Sony, but they have no intention of trying to transform their existing market position into something different. Their focus will be to sustain and stabilize the Japanese market by relying on what they did before.

Sony will instead, put more resources in developing console markets like Southeast Asia.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe he even responded to this TBH. What's not to believe? This basically translates to "money is money no matter which currency". Tell him thanks for releasing Spier-Miles on PS4 though, because despite believing in generations, who knows when I will actually find a PS5 DE to buy. *sobs quietly*

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think there's much they can do at present to greatly turn the tide. The Switch has that portability aspect that's made it the Japanese "it" platform for the interim. And if games like Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VIII Remake, Final Fantasy XIV online, Persona 5, Sekiro, Resident Evil (multiple), Dragon Quest (initially timed exclusive) and so on aren't going to move the needles, I don't think much else can.

The problem with those games you mentioned is how infrequently they turn up. You need all the smaller games to tide people over in between, and that's what they lack. It would cost a lot to force that from Sony's end, and they don't want to pay that money. Which is fine, but it means that Japan is no longer of high importance to them and they are effectively ceding the market to nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please do elaborate.

Remember, they can't appeal to the Japanese audience by diminishing appeal in every other territory, or changing the very ethos of their product. The PS5 was never going to be a lower performance mobile gaming device that predominantly focused on cartoony or anime like games like the Switch for example. That's never been PlayStation's focus.

Even then, look at the launch line up for the PS5, Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Sackboy and Miles Morales. That's a pretty diverse catalogue that I'd have thought would appeal to Japanese gaming sensibilities.
Are you sure about that never? Cause Sony used to make quite a lot of games, plenty of them cartoony and anime and they used to appeal to wider demographics but haven't since the PS2 and PSP.

PS1, PS2 and PSP were eras that Sony had quite a lot of internally developed and co-developed exclusive titles that reached far and wide demographics.

Oct 31, 2017
Are you sure about that never? Cause Sony used to make quite a lot of games, plenty of them cartoony and anime and they used to appeal to wider demographics but haven't since the PS2 and PSP.

PS1, PS2 and PSP were eras that Sony had quite a lot of internally developed and co-developed exclusive titles that reached far and wide demographics.

Sony's games sell more now than they ever have. How did they used to appeal to wider demographics when wider demographics weren't buying their games in big numbers save for Gran Turismo?

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo as a publisher has more than 50% of the marketshare. They can even get the million sellers on Wii U

How many million sellers are their on Switch which are from third party ?

Minecraft ?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
People complained about that and Sony themselves mentioned it when talking about the PS5.

The Bloomberg article said:
1. Japan has been sidelined in terms of marketing and the Sony Japan people have been left awaiting instructions
2. According to former employees Sony hasn't been renewing contracts for Japan Studio and the support team staff has been reduced by a third with current US employees saying that the US office thinks " the PlayStation business doesn't need games that only do well in Japan"
3. Promotion events for the PS5 took place at times that were bad for Japan(5 AM), to benefit the west in addition to the X-O swap thing
4. Retailers said that their first batch of consoles were about the same as they got for the PS3
5. Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in Japan

The article itself was titled "Microsoft sets sights on Sony's home turf in console clash"

For some reason people are reading this as "Sony isn't supporting Japan anymore" and posting stuff like Final Fantasy and Persona as a counterargument which makes no sense. Most of these things are also either confirmed or come from employees.

Pretty much, but it shouldn't come as a surprise. Anything that can be seen as remotely critical of Sony gets jumped on by certain groups here. I still remember people asking about whether PS5 would have a Quick Resume feature and the swarm of people jumping in with their stupid, 'OMG, are you concerned!?' wannabe memes and shit like repeating some tired old shit was supposed to mean anything to people who hoped to have a similar feature. Same crap here. Those people clearly don't know or care about what's actually being said and instead want their 'clever' one-liners and forced memes.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If you've noticed, I didn't participate in that thread because while there are stuff that I don't agree with in the reporting - both from personal assessment or my own ear-on-the ground, fundamentally I don't disagree that Sony has not done a great job when it comes to giving extra care and attention to the Japanese market, and in fact - I'm quite confident that they don't intend to to give extra care/attention to the Japanese market.

Mind you, that doesn't mean Japan is sidelined/unimportant to SIE. It just means they won't be "aggressive" in the market for the sake of growing beyond their traditional lifetime expectations of how PS5 would do there. There won't be attempts to deliver lightning-in-the-bottle games or investments to have equivalent of games that delivered multi-million sales in Japan by the competition.

My own business view of the matter is that Japan is basically a 'mature-market-in-decline' for PlayStation, where it remains in the top five markets by country for Sony, but they have no intention of trying to transform their existing market position into something different. Their focus will be to sustain and stabilize the Japanese market by relying on what they did before.

I think the argument people have really is that it's debatable whether Sony is even doing a good enough job of maintaining that marketshare. Switch is much more competitive than any previous Nintendo machine in terms of targeting what would have traditionally been PlayStation exclusive releases.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure PS5 is even worse off than PS4 in this regard, and they ignored Switch because they assumed it was going to be a massive failure.
PS4 didn't have BC, while PS5 does. You don't need to make native next gen versions when you can reach both consoles' audiences with a minimal effort.

Backwards compatibility will guarantee Japanese AA developers' support for years, and they'll keep making multiplatform games unless Nintendo pays for exclusivity.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo as a publisher has more than 50% of the marketshare. They can even get the million sellers on Wii U

Minecraft ?

Yup, and soon Momotaro and Monster Hunter.

But you know that's a reflection of the lack of investment from third parties and not weakness of the platform.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan Studio is so great.

They make and collaborate on so many great games. I really wish they would double or triple their output. It seems like such a no brainer.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 didn't have BC, while PS5 does. You don't need to make native next gen versions when you can reach both consoles' audiences with a minimal effort.

Backwards compatibility will guarantee Japanese AA support for years, and they'll keep making multiplatform games unless Nintendo pays for exclusivity.

Sure, but if Japanese games aren't going to even take advantage of the PS5(nevermind be exclusive to it) what is the incentive for Japanese consumers to invest in the platform?

PS4 is already well into its decline phase and is now losing ground, what happens if PS4 falls off quicker than PS5 picks up?

What if consumers just decide to switch brands?

Atelier Ryza 2 is probably going to be a good example(and it's one of the few with a PS5 version). The first game sold ~2/3 of its copies on PS4 but it looks like the sequel will sell 50/50 across PS4 and Switch with PS4 falling off and Switch growing massively. The PS5 version had its retail release cancelled.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Minecraft ?
Momotaro Dentetsu in like a week and then MH in March as well.

The only 3rd party franchises hitting 1 million in Japan are FF(which can barely do it now and might not with XIV), MH, Minecraft and DQ

OP
OP
Aran

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Mind you, that doesn't mean Japan is sidelined/unimportant to SIE. It just means they won't be "aggressive" in the market for the sake of growing beyond their traditional lifetime expectations of how PS5 would do there. There won't be attempts to deliver lightning-in-the-bottle games or investments to have equivalent of games that delivered multi-million sales in Japan by the competition. Or even extra special care for niche/AA markets, because let's face it - they aren't gonna chase that extra 100k audience either.

Sony will instead, put more resources in developing console markets like Southeast Asia.
I have my own Sony sources - and I can tell you on point (1) - everyone across US/EU/JP has been sidelined in some shape or form in marketing and freedom to do business deals. That was the intended effect of Sony's globalization effort, basically every region's marketing and functional independence has been greatly reduced in favour of a 'global team' - that is spread across all regions. That's the reason we don't see anymore quirky Japanese ads, but rather they all follow the global 'explorer' template.

The departures of people like John Drake were hinted to be as a result of this globalization impact according to some reporting earlier separate from Bloomberg. It's not just Sony Japan that are feeling that frustration. To my understanding, there has been quite a fair bit of lay-off and job reductions in EU offices as of the past two years, basically cutting off any jobs that are seen to be duplicative across regions. I don't have Japan support sources, but I did hear those cuts were global.

Are there some regions that benefitted more than others as a result of globalization? Sure. This is just my LinkedIn sleuthing, but from what I saw - EU Sony employees were the ones who benefitted most in terms of filling up the global third-party team, the team that John Drake/Gio/etc were on for the US branch. So in regards to one function of Sony's global structure, it was EU team that "won out" - as opposed to the US team. Granted, my understanding is that some region has more representation than others in regards to the global team.

Point 2 doesn't dispute what I said earlier about Japan Studio being sidelined. Like I said - I didn't refute or disagree that is happening. It's just no related to Sony's view on Japanese market. As someone who likes Japan Studio games, I don't like it. But I also see that Sony doesn't care about needing JS to be 'better' in order for them to do well in Japanese market.
That does put some things into perspective for me and explains some of Sony's actions.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and soon Momotaro and Monster Hunter.

But you know that's a reflection of the lack of investment from third parties and not weakness of the platform.

Yes' Im Aware. My point was more towards Nintendo Pull in the JP as a publisher and they are currently at their strongest point

Momotaro Dentetsu in like a week and then MH in March as well.

The only 3rd party franchises hitting 1 million in Japan are FF(which can barely do it now and might not with XIV), MH, Minecraft and DQ

FF Remake did 1.5 mil in first month and KH 3 is million seller.

Anyways my point was towards nintendo domination as a first party publisher which Sony cant do as their western efforts yielded them more 10 millions sellers than the PS1 and PS2 Generation

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Everything. You need a compelling hardware, at an attractive price, with software appealing to the market. There are several specifics that are more attractive to the Japanese market than others (local multiplayer, hunting games, less story-driven games and emphasis on a addictive gameplay loop etc.). It's a very price sensitive market so cheaper consoles work better, and obviously size and portability is a factor as well.

Currently nothing of what Sony produces is attractive to the JP market. It's a big, very expensive console, with games all aimed at western conventions and markets.

I think it's a mixture of all of that, and it's obviously not just Sony. Japanese third parties have also quite obviously struggled to make appealing software for their market. Nintendo is seemingly the only company with their finger on the pulse of the Japanese market.

I think there's two big myths that people buy into and that if you actually look at what Nintendo does don't make sense:

1) Japanese people are only interested in portable experiences.
This isn't necessarily true, Nintendo created a new million selling franchise on the Wii U and Ring Fit Adventure has achieved great sales despite being only playable as a home console experience. Even more recently Konami has tapped into this with Momotaro Dentetsu and is going to have a million seller for the first time in about 20 years

2) Making an appealing game for Japan and Internationally ae mutually exclusive
This one is obviously wrong; Animal Crossing is a smash hit everywhere, Breath of the Wild is the biggest Zelda game everywhere, etc. Even on a third party basis Monster Hunter World is the best selling non-Nintendo game both in Japan and Worldwide.

The similarity is that they don't only appeal to young males under 30, which is the only demographic where the Playstation brand is relevant in Japan and is an increasingly shrinking market. The big japanese games they're getting might do great worldwide, but aside from a few expections like MH, they don't appeal to a wide audience in Japan. Playstation is just satisfying the same crowd over and over, but even that crowd is getting smaller.

Some good responses, which I agree with for the most part actually. Funnily enough I feel that's where Japan Studio could (could have?) been most useful. Smaller budget games that sort out those gaps in the catalogue, but it doesn't seem like there's much of an appetite for that currently. We don't know what's cooking though so who knows.

I'm not entirely sure what they can do on the hardware front though. Make a smaller box, maybe? Bearing in mind they're in direct competition with Xbox and have built a huge global audience off the back of extremely high budget experiences. I don't envy the position they're in at all, as you can never please everyone.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but if Japanese games aren't going to even take advantage of the PS5(nevermind be exclusive to it) what is the incentive for Japanese consumers to invest in the platform?

PS4 is already well into its decline phase and is now losing ground, what happens if PS4 falls off quicker than PS5 picks up?

What if consumers just decide to switch brands?

Atelier Ryza 2 is probably going to be a good example(and it's one of the few with a PS5 version). The first game sold ~2/3 of its copies on PS4 but it looks like the sequel will sell 50/50 across PS4 and Switch with PS4 falling off and Switch growing massively. The PS5 version had its retail release cancelled.
I think it's way too early for that kind of discussion, and even if will PS5 bomb hard with plenty of stock available i don't really think that any AA developer is going to ditch multiplatform releases anyway, simply because total and everlasting exclusivity for HD games is mostly not going to happen no matter what. Nintendo lost all of its third party 3ds non-paid exclusives, just like Playstation did.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's games sell more now than they ever have. How did they used to appeal to wider demographics when wider demographics weren't buying their games in big numbers save for Gran Turismo?
Would you say the same thing about Nintendo in the west? Because for generations people have been complaining about Nintendo's lack of more hardcore T to M rated titles they used to make and publish back in the day which could help foster further growth and more support for those titles on their platform. But hey, their tentpoles are selling better than ever. Remember, the N64 was the original shooter box, and the home of FPS's and TPS's and then they shifted away from all that.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the company that gave has FFVIIR, Nioh 2, 13 Sentinels, and P5R as exclusives in 2020 isn't focused on the Japanese market... I seriously don't understand this site at times.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sony probably thinks that no matter how hard they try, they won't beat Nintendo in Japan, or even close the gap. And no matter how badly they do, they won't lose to/or get close to MS. So probably just trying to focus on Western market which they can have more influence..

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sony probably thinks that no matter how hard they try, they won't beat Nintendo in Japan, or even close the gap. And no matter how badly they do, they won't lose to/or get close to MS. So probably just trying to focus on Western market which they can have more influence..
Hmm, you may be right.

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
Sony should just make a handheld for the west audience, buy level 5 and let japan studios and level 5 make games for the handheld and phones for the west. You can still have the console but make something for the west that fits their lifestyle. Just releasing a regular console ain't going to work any more in japan.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some good responses, which I agree with for the most part actually. Funnily enough I feel that's where Japan Studio could (could have?) been most useful. Smaller budget games that sort out those gaps in the catalogue, but it doesn't seem like there's much of an appetite for that currently. We don't know what's cooking though so who knows.

I'm not entirely sure what they can do on the hardware front though. Make a smaller box, maybe? Bearing in mind they're in direct competition with Xbox and have built a huge global audience off the back of extremely high budget experiences. I don't envy the position they're in at all, as you can never please everyone.

Imo, size isn't even the biggest issue, because if the software was compelling enough, people would have managed to make room for one.

The issue is clearly the price of that hardware. There are lots of reasons to do so in the west, but when you're the typical Japanese player, what are you spending 50.000 yen for? A remake of a Souls game? That's pretty much everything there is. And at the moment there's nothing in the coming months that has system selling potential either.

Oct 31, 2017
Would you say the same thing about Nintendo in the west? Because for generations people have been complaining about Nintendo's lack of more hardcore T to M rated titles they used to make and publish back in the day which could help foster further growth and more support for those titles on their platform. But hey, their tentpoles are selling better than ever. Remember, the N64 was the original shooter box, and the home of FPS's and TPS's and then they shifted away from all that.

Nintendo isn't relevant to the conversation, but you don't need M rated games to appeal to adults, who are playing games like Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing in huge numbers and significantly more than

Sony's games didn't sell as well during this supposedly golden period you're talking about. More people play their games now than ever before; their games are objectively reaching more people and selling tens of millions now. So I'm curious what data you have that they used to make tons of games "that reached far and wide demographics" despite their games doing significantly better worldwide currently than in the PS1/PS2 days when third party games were the ones regularly charting over Sony.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's way too early for that kind of discussion, and even if will PS5 bomb hard with plenty of stock available i don't really think that any AA developer is going to ditch multiplatform releases anyway, simply because total and everlasting exclusivity for HD games is mostly not going to happen no matter what. Nintendo lost all of its third party 3ds non-paid exclusives, just like Playstation did.

I don't think you're wrong, but Nintendo is quite obviously willing to invest in those smaller franchises and offer marketing deals and if those games start becoming primarily Switch/Switch 2/etc releases it obviously becomes much easier to make those deals. Especially when you see that Nintendo is obviously open to allowing PC release.

If we're taking for granted that something like Rune Factory is Switch exclusive due to Nintendo's investment well there are a lot of Japanese publishers and IPs comparable in scale that Nintendo could easily scoop up.

Even if they don't and pretty much everything is multiplatform that's still a massive shift in the dynamic of the Japanese market, and puts PlayStation at a massive disadvantage because Nintendo doesn't rely on third parties and the advantage PlayStation has typically had is not just the handful of defacto exclusive AAA releases but in the plethora of third party games that were only on PlayStation.

Chris pointed it out in the Media Create thread that 2020 is the first year since PlayStation entered the market in 1994 that it's not had the most releases in Japan.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Censorship where? In Japan or the west?

Globally, though Japan was the major maket for them. sony basically stopped the pervo games from being release on their consoles. which in one sense is good as a lot of them were perving on minors, which is super disgusting. I think it may have affected other games too though, but I don't buy them so I'm not sure.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't really understand why people are getting mad about this. Like, how does it affect you whether Sony invests in marketing in Japan or not?

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
If Sony don't want to have the PS5 be their least successful home console ever by a large margin in Japan they need to put major money into developing games targeted at the Japanese market, whether its expanding their developers or funding through other companies. I don't think we've seen any evidence of that thus far.

This talk over FF and KH is meaningless. Those sell well outside of Japan, Sony did not need to do any heavy lifting to ensure they were on PS5, and the exclusivity means zip for Japan where xbox is nothing anyway.
The PS3, the PS4 and Vita had all of that, when is it that the Japanese consumer will actually start to support Sony in the games they make? People REALLY need to stop thinking that the Japanese market started March 3rd, 2017.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
People here are not going to believe this, so I don't know what's the point anymore discussing this. Minds have been made up that Bloomberg was right and Sony's sidelining Japan.
Jup, the rethoric is made and certain people will never waver from this stance.

The Japanese sales tell us otherwise, Jim.
Care to explain what Sony should do to increase their sales numbers in japan? They could literally buy Capcom tomorrow and they may squeeze out a few 100K more units with that move at most.

A few years back almost everyone understood that japan hugely moved to mobile gaming so why are people now dismissing that aspect? Of course that does not mean that console gaming is dead like we have seen with the PS4.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The PS3, the PS4 and Vita had all of that, when is it that the Japanese consumer will actually start to support Sony in the games they make? People REALLY need to stop thinking that the Japanese market started March 3rd, 2017.

Is Sony out of the touch with the Japanese market?

No, it's the consumers who are wrong.

Nintendo's successful run at the top of the market has been going a lot longer than the release of the Switch. Even still Sony managed to have the very successful PSP during that timeframe. Why did Japanese consumers support that and not the other consoles?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care to explain what Sony should do to increase their sales numbers in japan? They could literally buy Capcom tomorrow and they may squeeze out a few 100K more units what that move at most.

A few years back almost everyone understood that japan hugely moved to mobile gaming so why are people now dismissing that aspect?

Maybe because there's another home console that sells hundreds of thousands units each week.

Soulymist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is appealing to the Japanese audience? Genuine question because it's worth a discussion in the context of analysing what Sony supposedly isn't doing. Is it the hardware? Is it the software? Messaging?
Simple, Just make a killer app for japanese audience.
If someone make a game based on popular anime series like Fate or Demon Slayer with big budgets, a lot of people would buy it.

Even the PS4 version of Genshin Impact is doing very well on Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
People here are not going to believe this, so I don't know what's the point anymore discussing this. Minds have been made up that Bloomberg was right and Sony's sidelining Japan.
Believing independent press over PR isn't exactly a controversial take. And really the Mochizuki article and Ryan's statement aren't directly at odds even, both can be true.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it, Jim. Because right now I very much do not see it. Hopefully that changes very soon.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This weird ass Jim Ryan hate seems personal.

But Jimbo is like:

tenor.gif

BTO24RhGqh.gif

It's obvious Japan is still hugely important to Sony and the support is going to be strong from third parties from there as much as the PS4 generation.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Sony is the only company leveling heavy censorship on Japanese devs, making it hard for them to release games, and in some cases stopping them from releasing them entirely. They actively hate Japan outside of the biggest AAA games.