• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Not a video, but a series of tweets that highlight things a lot of people always believed to be true anyway. Just unfortunate to have it confirmed by a popular gaming youtuber.

Sterling has put out some positive videos. Specifically videos on games with good reviews and impressions like RE2, DMC5, Gears 5, and some others. But they tend to get fewer views.

I'm sure this is why I think people can be put off by gaming content on youtube in general.

Last edited:

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
It's it really "the algorithm", or just simply what people want to see? Seems silly to me putting this on YouTube.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's not "an algorithm" causing this.. it's the data google gets form the clicks / watches videos get.

The people are the problem, not some algorithm designed by experts to give people what they want.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Ironic statement of the century. At least he's self-aware about it.

I think it would really be a problem if he deliberately chose not to do a video, just because it's a positive one. He's aware that doing a positive impression is going to get fewer views, but he does it anyway. See the RE2, DMC5 and other reviews of good games.

If he started to be negative on those things just for the sake of 'negativity equals more views' and now he's compromising the integrity of his content simply -to be negative- then that would suck.

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017
Is that why he posted his drunk review of Ghost Recon Breakpoint bashing the game throughout it instead of putting up a review for an indie gem that he might have otherwise enjoyed?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
It is the whole idea of people like to stare at accidents. Sure some want to stare at a pretty meadow but people focus on negativity. That's why we have tabloids and gossip rags and TMZ.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Isn't that the point of his Patreon? Then again if you've built your fan base off of negative content, that's what you're expected to deliver.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
"Negativity will always be popular."
Yeah just look at Era as a example negative threads have way more posts than anything else.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not "an algorithm" causing this.. it's the data google gets form the clicks / watches videos get.

The people are the problem, not some algorithm designed by experts to give people what they want.
I want to bet it is a mixture of both, but we can clearly point fingers to the outrage culture and how people are consuming it. For example, not defending anyone here, but I remember how I was getting dozens of Youtube suggestions over the ProJared debacle a couple of weeks ago, all of them explaining "what went wrong" or "everything you need to know". So yeah, as long as people thrive for negative content, of course, Youtube's algorithm is gonna push it like Vince McMahon pushes Roman Reigns #wrestlingreferences

Isn't that the point of his Patreon? Then again if you've built your fan base off of negative content, that's what you're expected to deliver.
He has mentioned that Patreon keeps The Jimquisition show specifically ad-free, but he still monetizes the rest of his channel.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This is why LTG "recommended" shows up so much after an Evo. You just got done hyping thru 15+ hours of fightin' goodness, he was on-stream for 5 minutes, a seething host of drool-bucket-sporting goobers whip themselves into a frenzy with an endlessly self-referential and self-enraging swath of videos and voila!

It is the whole idea of people like to stare at accidents. Sure some want to stare at a pretty meadow but people focus on negativity. That's why we have tabloids and gossip rags and TMZ.

Yeah just look at Era as a example negative threads have way more posts than anything else.

And that's why I don't partake in the scrum much of ever any more. Not just from catching a suckerpunch from someone having a VERY bad day with an already bad attitude, but it metastacizes.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Whine about YTers being negative all you want, but someone is viewing that content enough that it's a profitable business to be in. People love a good car crash and to see someone being trashed and destroyed publically. This place has been guilty of it plenty of times before. Want YTers to make more positive videos? Start watching their more positive content and push them to make more positive content.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
He's always been up-front with this, to anyone saying he's "self aware now". It kind of proves his point when people only know about his negative videos.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
A shame since it's why I fell off from watching his videos. I just can't stand negative angry gamer videos anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
The 3rd point has nothing to do with Youtube's algorithms; it's just human nature.

Humans are far more attracted to, and enthused by, negative news stories than positive ones. It's THE thing that people buy newspapers for; it's the reason why negative press dominates in ALL forms of media.

People just inherently love gossip and scandals. Has been that way since the dawn of the human race. And the world of YouTube is no different.

Everything he's saying here is completely spot on; especially his second point. People tune into specific channels for specific content; and usually aren't interested in anything else they put out.

That's not to say that a channel can't change their content and attract a new audience; but it will be at the expense of their existing audience, as they will NOT be interested by different content than what they're used to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's pretty telling too how a popular thread on the first page here is titled "Gears 5 controls like garbage."

It reads like a youtube video title. You can even see the red banned circle icon in front of an xbox controller in the thumbnail video right now.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
The niche thing is so real. I have seen Drif0r trying to break out from Call of Duty a few times already. Never successful.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"Ugh, why is he so negative all the time? He needs to make more positive videos" the audience says while avoiding the positive videos like the plague.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This makes alot of the gaming content on youtube make ton of sense now. Thank god we still got content like the Joy of Gaming series by Shinobi, which focuses on positive aspects of gaming. I'm getting tired of all this constant negativity.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
That's just the world though, your local and national news is primarily about deaths/disasters/whatever.

I'd bet even on here we love negative threads a lot more like how we love to shit on Gamefreak and Pokémon.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to work on a copypasta that lists every positive review/video that Jim has ever done of both indie and AAA games. I should finish that.

I think over the years Jim got associated with the angry critic stereotype and its bloody difficult to escape it. It takes a lot of effort and like he said, making the content doesn't guarantee it will be watched unless you have good clickbaiting skills .

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If Jim content is good I'll keep watching and let's be fair it's not like the industry isn't giving him material for years and years and years of negativity as well.
He's not chasing outrage when it's unwarranted BS. Chances are he would have forgotten about BotW if idiots didn't send him death threats for having an opinion.
I'm ok with him milking that cow until it's stop spurting blood and botW is my game of the Gen.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Is that why he posted his drunk review of Ghost Recon Breakpoint bashing the game throughout it instead of putting up a review for an indie gem that he might have otherwise enjoyed?

Possibly but also because he had to play it. Friend bought it and I tried.

What a shit game. I imagine a lot of people laughed or watched the video and that only reinforces his point.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Yeah, the moment a system curates towards what is "popular" it will always immediately lean this way. It sucks that there is no easy answer and I hate it.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Which is a shame, because it's why people make threads in extremes. Like, "RDR2 controls like shit. Why is it so popular?"

It's like, okay - maybe it's controls aren't the best aspect of it...but I'm sure you could crack a thesaurus and do a better job with the title.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Possibly but also because he had to play it. Friend bought it and I tried.

What a shit game. I imagine a lot of people laughed or watched the video and that only reinforces his point.
It's a bit self indulgent but less so than taking that game seriously.
He kinda had to play that game with his pet peeves being what they are.
I would have preferred a half vid on that shit game and another half on a small indie that needs the recognition even if he hated that indie game.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Ugh, why is he so negative all the time? He needs to make more positive videos" the audience says while avoiding the positive videos like the plague.

It's a weird point as well in that his job is pretty much being critical of the industry when it does shitty things, and arguing for more positive steps in their place

That's the reason people are drawn to his content, and the reason he is able to do it as a job

It's weird to see that and say, "well, why not make videos of something else?"

It would be just as weird to be critical of a Minecraft streamer for not making Fortnite videos

Edit: That said, I think most of the people who say he should be more positive are not actually fans of his work, and mainly say that because they want him to stop dunking on the companies they're irrationally attached to

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah even just through casual observation I think that this has to be true. For example, I'm sure there are some positive videos out there for Pokemon Sword & Shield. I wouldn't know for sure though because I'm generally avoiding watching footage from the game ahead of launch, to go in fresh. However, I absolutely do know that there are quite a few negative videos about the game, and I don't even have to watch them (or as I say any) to be recommended that I watch 'Pokemon Sword and Shield's BIGGEST MISTAKE!' by YouTube's algorithm.

I also don't have a problem with Jim pointing this out either. It's not like he exclusively focuses on negativity, that has never been true, but he isn't blind to things either.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

The algorithm designed to drive engagement so that's what it pushes. Negativity gets views.

That's why the biggest channels have 10 minute videos that are uploaded daily. It's what people watch.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
It's a bit self indulgent but less so than taking that game seriously.
He kinda had to play that game with his pet peeves being what they are.
I would have preferred a half vid on that shit game and another half on a small indie that needs the recognition even if he hated that indie game.

It's his channel and I guess he has to do what for views. I wonder how a video that's half shitting on a game and half praising another would go.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
The algorithm designed to drive engagement so that's what it pushes. Negativity gets views.

That's why the biggest channels have 10 minute videos that are uploaded daily. It's what people watch.

It's also why youtubers like The Quartering, YongYea and Laymen Gaming have exploded in popularity so quickly. I don't really watch their content but for some reason randomly, once in awhile their shit pops up in my feed after I watched a Sterling video. I've watched a few videos regarding the Activision Blizzard stuff and now my suggested feed is filled with "industry controversies."

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Which is a shame, because it's why people make threads in extremes. Like, "RDR2 controls like shit. Why is it so popular?"

It's like, okay - maybe it's controls aren't the best aspect of it...but I'm sure you could crack a thesaurus and do a better job with the title.
Yeah for sure. This forum is often very negative and posters utilize terrible titles that destroy any chance of meaningful conversation. It tends to just be a bunch of people yelling at each other.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's his channel and I guess he has to do what for views. I wonder how a video that's half shitting on a game and half praising another would go.

He has done that a few times

15mins of the main topic and then 2/3 mins at the end praising a game he's played and enjoyed lately. It's a good format and one I think he should try more

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Just because you are aware of the self feeding cycle of negativity that many times results in harrassment and abuse, does not absolve your contribution to it.

In fact, it feels worse.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This has been obvious for a while, just look at what shit is suggested randomly sometimes.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just because you are aware of the self feeding cycle of negativity that many times results in harrassment and abuse, does not absolve your contribution to it.

In fact, it feels worse.

Abuse is never justified, but shying away from being critical of things that deserve critisism to appease the worst types of people on the internet is a pretty pathetic stance to take