Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
That's...not what retcon means.

And of course the snake was special. All the Horcruxes were important, what makes Nagini any different? We still have at least one more film to go before the question of how she came into Voldemort's possession.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we should wait until the movie actually comes out before we start calling people racist for what they put in their movies that nobody has seen yet, hm?

There will be plenty of time to be angry online after the movie comes out, and there's plenty of things to be angry about now. We don't really need to jump the gun here, do we?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be worse
rs_600x600-150722072939-600.Matthew-Lewis-Shirtless-Abs-JR-72215_copy.jpg
Chosen one and the hottest of the original cast.

10/10 living his best life.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Voldemort ,who only made his Horcuxes out of special magical objects, just put a piece of his soul in a random snake? It makes sense that the snake was somewhat special.

Honestly people just want to complain about shit. This enriches the world and will make my next re-read more fun.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just don't like how it makes it seem like Nagini is cursed and has a horrible fate considering that Rowling made it seem that Nagini and Voldemort actually had a loving pet relationship.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Should've just left Nagini the fuck alone. The original story was fine just as it was before we found out Vold showed Belatrix his wand.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This seems uncessary but it's more like something that is part of the Bible of Harry Potter that was never shown because there never was any reason to show it rather than anything else.
the Nagini~~Naga connection works and I don't think Rowling is a bad enough writer to not have made the connection originally when she wrote it at first.
The issue is more about how shoddy Rowling's research is to confuse India, Korea, China and Indonesia.

Asian isnt one race and religion

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How many lines will she be have? or is her role just the subservient Asian deadly female archetype?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Asian isnt one race and religion
Again
The issue is more about how shoddy Rowling's research is to confuse India, Korea, China and Indonesia.
The whole let's take an actress from the area that Nagas are from to play up the connection for a character named after Nagas works.
the whole let's just assume everything in Asia is the same like we're XIXth century colonial masters? Fuck that.

OP
OP
feyder

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So he finds all of this special magic stuff to use as a horcrux and then just a snake that he found?
Yes? Every horcrux has a meaning to Voldemort, and I assumed Nagini simply represented his connection and ability to talk to snakes.

Not that he chose her because she was once a human who was cursed omg what a tragique past

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rowling nails another "I was being diverse all along" reveal.

Can't wait for Rowena Ravenclaw to be revealed as trans.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not really. Prequels are largely about fleshing out everything we've seen in the existing films, both including things we actively want to know more about, and things we never really gave much thought to.

Her Maledictus status was only confirmed recently, after the trailer dropped. Rowling hinted in the past that there was more to Nagini than we knew.

And then Dumbledore revealed the snake was a Horcrux. Citing her abnormal behavior as the reason for his suspicion

And now it turns out Dumbledore was just wrong and didn't know or consider the possibility that she was a Maledictus before sending Harry and Co. On a death quest to kill.

It's a bad retcon. It's not super terrible but it is bad

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yes? Every horcrux has a meaning to Voldemort, and I assumed Nagini simply represented his connection and ability to talk to snakes.

Not that he chose her because she was once a human who was cursed omg what a tragique past
Hopefully there's deeper connection between Voldemort and Nagini or yeah it's a George Lucas move.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, "JK Rowling reveals that Nagini is actually a Korean woman" is actually a pretty funny way to cap off the "JK Rowling reveals..." stories.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And then Dumbledore revealed the snake was a Horcrux. Citing her abnormal as the reason for his suspicion

And now it turns out Dumbledore was just wrong and didn't know or consider the possibility that she was a Maledictus before sending Harry and Co. On a death quest to kill.

It's a bad retcon. It's not super terrible but it is bad
That's not really a retcon, though. "Dumbledore made an assumption, and it was incorrect" is just expanding on the story.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next we're gonna find out Hedwig was actually Dumbledores wife and Dumbledore told her to remain an owl to watch over Harry

Given that JK has made a big song and dance about Dumbledore being Gay without actually showing it, I hope that she does that shit.

Now that will rile up the LBGT community, with JK making some nonsensical excuse to justify it.

Nagini was clearly not a normal snake in the books. I don't know why people act like this is out of nowhere. We don't even know anything about the character yet an people just get mad at a bunch of assumptions.

You're missing the point, people aren't mad about the damn snake having a backstory. They're mad about the fact in a series about Wizards and racism, with Voldemort being a Hitler stand in, but the heroes are all white with PoC given background character roles or written unfavorably.

JK doesn't care about creating a diverse world and will only mention it off hand but not show it while picking and matching other people culture because it will be a good fit for her world.

She was already called out for how she showcased Native Americans in her world, causally mentioning Dumbledore being gay or South Asian Wizards riding flying carpets.

OP
OP
feyder

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a retcon because Rowling clearly never thought of the character as originally human when writing the books. Hence why every passage explaining why Nagini was special made zero mention of a human past.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when she literally made a Nazi house and explicit stated in the book that none of them stayed to be good people and fight for the right side.... only to then state oh no no no remember on page xyz when I said kids.... those kids were totes returning Slytherin.... yeah... that's right.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Given that JK has made a big song and dance about Dumbledore being Gay without actually showing it, I hope that she does that shit.

Now that will rile up the LBGT community, with JK making some nonsensical excuse to justify it.

You're missing the point, people aren't mad about the damn snake having a backstory. They're mad about the fact in a series about Wizards and racism, with Voldemort being a Hitler stand in, but the heroes are all white with PoC given background character roles or written unfavorably.

JK doesn't care about creating a diverse world and will only mention it off hand but not show it while picking and matching other people culture because it will be a good fit for her world.

She was already called out for how she showcased Native Americans in her world, causally mentioning Dumbledore being gay or South Asian Wizards riding flying carpets.
We don't know anything. How the hell do you know how Nagini is written as a character.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Um, ackshually, Grindewald is the Hitler stand in, right down to him being causing havoc across Europe during the forties until Dumbeldore defeated him in 1945,

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Until I see Dumbledore's dong on the big screen I'm not going to give Rowling any diversity points.

I demand diversity dongs.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like we don't need more Voldemort stuff in this series, we had 7 books and 8 movies giving everything we needed to know about him and his backstory, we don't need the connective tissue other than for braindead idiots in the audience to point at and marvel. Unless they tie her existence into the theme of Newt's journey and growth, this is just needless fanservice.
The articles I linked address these. She is indeed part of a circus, and one of the article addresses the fact that we have yet another "deadly dragon lady" Asian woman.
If she's a secret magical ninja I legit give up on this series.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a retcon because Rowling clearly never thought of the character as originally human when writing the books. Hence why every passage explaining why Nagini was special made zero mention of a human past.
But it contradicts nothing. Thus, it's not a retcon by the most commonly used definition.