Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
  • This isn't a retcon because it doesn't contradict the previously established canon.

• Given they had to cast someone for this new role in the new movie, I'm not sure what the issue is with them casting that person as Korean.

• JKR is still a TERF

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Ever since JK Rowling decided Cursed Child is a good story and made it canon, I have lost all expectations of good HP story in the future.

She truly has become the George Lucas of the HP universe.

Plus she is very passive aggressive towards any sort of criticism but will criticize others without much thoughts.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the initial "Well that's dumb" feeling that I quickly got over, because that feeling itself is dumb and reactionary, the bigger problem seems more with how JKR handled the aftermath.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just like "Obi-Wan wan was just playing around with R2 and C3PO" is not a retcon just expanding on the story
Nah, that contradicts previously established stories. It's completely different. Nagini was a major "character" in the story that we knew next-to nothing about.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why can't a snake just be a snake? They talk in the Potter universe, you don't need to have it once be a human.
My opinion on this has flipped several times. At first I thought that explaining a backstory for a snake was dumb, but then I thought it would make sense for there to be something special about Nagini seeing as Voldemort's other horcruxes were all pretty special. But then I thought after seeing a split second of the trailer that having her being a woman that can turn into a snake is just dumb, but now the added context of her being a Naga seems pretty cool.

So...whatever.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Since this series of movies started up she been on one, especially with her handling Johnny Depp

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for her to reveal Voldemort as a Palestinian.

And for Wormtail to be the leader of the British Labour Party

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with this, and I usually hate retcons. But since this is NOT a retcon, it's fine. Though it could be handled better, but I haven't seen the last trailer and I'm waiting for the movie to judge anyway.

For me that will always be Yoshio Sakamoto and no I'm never going to shut up about Metroid Other M.
100% with you on this.
The George Lucas of videogames:
1. Sakamoto
2. Kojima
MGS4 was like the whole Star Wars prelogy in one game for me.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it contradicts nothing. Thus, it's not a retcon by the most commonly used definition.

It contradicts all previous context for the character. Nagini was established as an animal controlled by a piece of Voldemort's soul. That's it. If there had been more when she wrote the books, it would be in the books.

It's the same as all those special objects in the books later declared to be Horcruxes. You don't think that was planned, do you?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Nah, magic gives her a lot flexibility in coming up with some insulting BS ideas.
No doubt, I mean I fully expect a major bad guy to be trans and be about the only representation we'll ever get for trans people in Harry Potter.
  • This isn't a retcon because it doesn't contradict the previously established canon.

• Given they had to cast someone for this new role in the new movie, I'm not sure what the issue is with them casting that person as Korean.

• JKR is still a TERF

Nov 21, 2017
I think the reaction to this has been overblown. I agree that no one needed a nagini origin, but this is not Lucas-level yet. When one of these movies is as terrible as phantom menace or attack of the clones, then we can talk.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, if Voldemort was so fond of snake lady, why didn't he make her human again instead of screwing Belatrix?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It contradicts all previous context for the character. Nagini was established as an animal controlled by a piece of Voldemort's soul. That's it. If there had been more when she wrote the books, it would be in the books.

It's the same as all those special objects in the books later declared to be Horcruxes. You don't think that was planned, do you?
The bolded is false. She was revealed as a Horcrux to establish that a living being could be one, alluding to the reveal that Harry himself was one. That's it. We know she obeyed him, but that did not mean she was controlled by his soul. We knew nothing about where she came from, what her connection to Voldemort was prior to becoming a Horcrux, or when she became a Horcrux.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Iirc Dumbledore's theory to why Nagini was made a horcrux was due to not only her presence during the murder of the groundskeeper, but that she had discovered Voldemort in Albania and been his companion.

In the same or a similar conversation in regards to the Horcrux, there was talk of how difficult and dangerous it was to turn a human into a horcrux. An animal would be difficult enough, which was what made Nagini interesting.

Those combined don't make this revelation a retcon, but it does shift what the understanding was from the original novels.

What this does help explain was Nagini at Godric's Hallow. Her being able to manipulate the corpse of Bathilda Bagshot to a convincing degree was always a point of confusion. I can't really buy all the Nagini was always clearly more than a snake, but that sequence sells it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Radcliffe_640x345_acf_cropped-1.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Was she also a screenwriter on the GitS movie too? Cause this sounds like similar levels of dumb.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This also makes Harry no longer the only human horcrux which is lame

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, how long until Rowling demands a "special edition" of the films with touched up CGI and toned down violence?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know anything. How the hell do you know how Nagini is written as a character.

I feel that you misread my post.

Nagini is an Asian woman, that is named after Hindi goddess, who is evil and becomes Voldemort's slave/pet.

None of that scream positive representation and that's the problem that people have.

Plus she is very passive aggressive towards any sort of criticism but will criticize others without much thoughts.

I remember in an interview when she was asked about the fan's passion for the series and how they have seemed to have taken it for themselves and coming up stories about the Potter universe.

JK made it bluntly clear in a passive aggressive way that it's her story and she will not have the fan take it away from her. Plus if she can't take any sort of criticism then she's not a good writer as a writer needs to accept criticism in order to grow and learn.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that you misread my post.

Nagini is an Asian woman, that is named after Hindi goddess, who is evil and becomes Voldemort's slave/pet.

None of that scream positive representation and that's the problem that people have.

I remember in an interview when she was asked about the fan's passion for the series and how they have seemed to have taken it for themselves and coming up stories about the Potter universe.

JK made it bluntly clear in a passive aggressive way that it's her story and she will not have the fan take it away from her. Plus if she can't take any sort of criticism then she's not a good writer as a writer needs to accept criticism in order to grow and learn.
But we don't know if she is a slave/pet. We don't know anything about their relationship. How could he control Nagini against her will when he didn't even have a body?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I wish the franchise could have rested, lore/plot wise at least, after DH part two. Of course all the companies involved would not want to give up the cash intake.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
It's corny faux world building, but it's not a retcon. And I can't imagine how pathetic someone would have to be in order to catch feelings because...a character of a certain race happened to have a less than glamorous role in a fictional story. Who cares. Not everyone is going to be the hero, or the cool villain. Sometimes you're a cursed chick who turns into a snake. It be that way.

Oct 26, 2017
God, I hated Fantastic Beasts. Stop tying needless shit back to Harry Potter! Fucking Star Wars prequel level shit all over again. I wanted a Fantastic Beasts movie. Not Dumbledore movie. Voldemort. Johnny Depp.

I like HP too much....this stuff annoys me more than it should.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
God, I hated Fantastic Beasts. Stop tying needless shit back to Harry Potter! Fucking Star Wars prequel level shit all over again. I wanted a Fantastic Beasts movie. Not Dumbledore movie. Voldemort. Johnny Depp.

I like HP too much....this stuff annoys me more than it should.
"I want my prequels to be less prequel-y!"

These were announced as prequels, and we knew Grindelwald would be a key player from day one.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, she did rubber stamp the whole idea of Voldemort having a secret love child with Bellatrix, so, nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm more curious how she's going to find a way to shit on Ron more in these films.

This also makes Harry no longer the only human horcrux which is lame

Dumbledore did tell Harry that there was no reason a living thing could not be a Horcrux, when explaining his reasoning behind suspecting Nagini of being a Horcrux. That Harry was a human Horcrux wasn't really the big twist. The twist was that he was a horcrux Voldemort never intended to make.

But, now we have to wonder why Voldemort would posses Nagini if she had a human intellect and was completely trusted by Voldemort.

And also why Voldemort would make a her a horcrux when she's 30 years older than he is.

Oct 26, 2017
The bolded is false. She was revealed as a Horcrux to establish that a living being could be one, alluding to the reveal that Harry himself was one. That's it. We know she obeyed him, but that did not mean she was controlled by his soul. We knew nothing about where she came from, what her connection to Voldemort was prior to becoming a Horcrux, or when she became a Horcrux.
It's a retcon.