• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Damn so Gina Rodriguez is advising Biden?

no you didn't

7fhxPLK.gif

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I really don't think that was his intention at all.

Maybe not "shitting"...*pregnant pause*

But, listening to the clips, there really was no reason to mention Black people at all. And rarely do these kinds of comparisons not offend anyone.

It was the most unnecessary thing to say.

The Gina Rodriguez joke was so funny because it was so apt.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not "shitting"...*pregnant pause*

But, listening to the clips, there really is no reason to mention Black people at all. And rarely do these kinds of comparisons no offend anyone.

It was the most unnecessary thing to say.
No doubt at all, like I said earlier he says so much stupid shit, especially when it comes to race. He should just stick to the specific topic and not try and draw comparisons at all.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think it's weird to state points with strong evidence backing it up, which greatly influence the political landscape of the US.

I just mean if you trace back an equal amount of time for all black Americans and hispanic Americans, and make that a meaningfully recent amount of time (you're more likely to be influenced by the beliefs of your grandparents than great-great-great grandparents), and you then count the unique ethnocultural groupings (geography, religion, language etc) of those ancestors, then hispanic Americans will have more groups.

And then logically the descendants of more groupings will have more diversity in their ideologies.

Note: you really have to use the word diversity here in its pure sense, not as the politically charged version.
Actually, know what? I'll bite. Show your work. Give us a diversity quotient of racial demographics, give us your formula, weightings for (geography, religion, language etc), how you're labelling people, etc. Let's get real scientific

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
You mean the guy that was friends with Thurmond says racist shit from time to time???

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
It just says so much about our country that these are the 2 options we have. Obviously Biden isn't even as close to as bad as Trump, but my God. Why America?

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Whoever prepped him for his Latino outreach this week should be fired or demoted. You can tell he was prepped to do the "unlike the african american community, you're diverse" take since he said it almost word for word, unprovoked, in two different interviews. Get rid of whoever thought forcing a distinction or contrast there was a winning formula. Oh and get rid of them for not explaining to him the concept of an Afro-latino.
God, you're right. It's mortifying to think that talking point was probably signed off on by a number of people before it reached Biden's lips. But it's also a distinctly Biden-esque gaffe that serves to illustrate an ongoing pattern of behaviour. There's a part of him that continues to believe himself qualified to speak on behalf of - and apparently dictate reality to - disenfranchised minorities just because of who his former boss was. It's just a mind-bogglingly awful attitude to have now moreso than ever before. It should also be an easy one to straighten your head out about... like dude, just get in front of the mirror for five minutes per day:

"I'm a rich old white man with political clout and media presence. I repeat: I am a rich old white man with political clout and media presence. It is bad for me to make stupid generalisations while presuming I can speak for minority communities. I repeat: I'm a rich old white man..."

All I will say is that the way MSNBC ( before Chris Matthews suddenly quit) treated Bernie and his campaign wasn't normal. In fact I remember a lot of agreement with that here pre-SC.

MSNBC is not even a left-leaning channel. It's a wealthy person's idea of liberal media as this wet blanket that cools down the extremity of Both Sides™ and moderates everything back towards 'sensible' right-of-centre policy. The channel has consistently failed to cover things contrary to the interests of their bosses at Comcast. Stephanie Ruhle memorably summoned her most superlatively bubbly energy to tell you that the rollback of FCC regulations in 2018 might even be a good thing. Later in the day, Rachel Maddow acknowledged the story upfront, hurriedly, almost apologetic in tone... before tapping those papers on her desk and moving swiftly onto the evening's Mueller time shit. Too high to deep dive for these clips, which I doubt made it to YouTube but I don't think I'm saying anything people aren't already somewhat aware of.

Alternatively, just watch a single fucking episode of Meet the Press. Look at Chuck Todd's gormless fucking apricot head and his insipid felt beard shrink onscreen as he quiveringly (yet somehow also smugly) brands obvious good and popular ideas like universal healthcare as wacky extreme talk. He knows better, his face gives everything away - the man's just a damn coward. FOX and OAN do not make a similar effort to dissuade their own audience from their beliefs, and as a result even this supposed 'liberal bastion' serves as another functioning cog in shifting the overton window to the right.

I think Chris Hayes does well with the contraints he faces, but he represents the very bare minimum of what left-wing media should strive to accomplish. Let's not even talk about Chris Matthews or Joe Scarborough. Anybody looking for genuine leftist media has no option on traditional TV networks, that much is clear, but they have a wealth of options online.

madame x

May 15, 2020
hm

well first of all, no matter how you interpret or contextualize this comment, it was racist and insulting to black americans.

i think that a lot of people who are jumping to defend have this idea that attacking the D candidate from the left is part of what cost hillary the election, so they're ultra sensitive to that kind of criticism as they feel like it encourages the chance of trump being president. i dunno. lemme just say that if biden's record on race is a factor in someone choosing to not for him they definitely were not considering voting for him before these comments. second of all we NEED to hold politicians accountable, especially those who you view are more on your side.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Why do we put up with this shit is beyond me.

Every time black people vote it's the lesser of two evils. It's getting grating.

I wish the Republican party wasn't a racist joke, or we had ranked choice voting or something to make white liberals stop taking us for granted. I really do.

Because this shit is grating.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
This fucking dusty ass dude doesn't even apologize but proves that we weren't overreacting to his fuckshit comment.

Bernie should've never dropped out.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ no wonder his staffers hide him. (lol im gonna get attacked for this comment arent i)

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

Every time black people vote it's the lesser of two evils. It's getting grating.

I wish the Republican party wasn't a racist joke, or we had ranked choice voting or something to make white liberals stop taking us for granted. I really do.

Because this shit is grating.
Ranked choice would be a good start.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I get what his saying. While we aren't a monolith black americans have a lot of universal issues that we can at least get on the same page about.Issues change due to generation, class, sex but some of the big stuff stays constant since america is slow/been aint shit for forever. The Hispanic/Latinx diaspora just seems like a harder base to appeal to politically in the american way where we just group everyone together.

This gaffe will be forgotten in 2 days so while I don't hold it against anyone who is offended I cant be bothered.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's always a no-win scenario.

Republicans want to genocide us, so they're a non-starter.

Democrats only care about us every four years because we're necessary to maintain power, and they'll threaten us if we get even the slightest bit annoyed with them ("Fine; eat four more years, you ingrates.")

Can't choose to abstain from voting or vote for another party either because then you're labeled a horrible person equivalent to the Republicans. It doesn't matter if the Democrat is not gonna do anything for you.

And even the above statement is enough to get you labeled as a both sideser. "You're annoyed that we like the police too? That sounds like some equating to me. I guess you want four more years!"

We're basically the conscience of America because white people can't be fucking bothered to just be better people.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely uncomfortable reading a white politician refer to the "African American community" repeatedly in such a rapid fire way. Full cringe, can't even put my finger on why. He desperately needs someone to help his messaging wrt/BIPOC.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
It's extremely uncomfortable reading a white politician refer to the "African American community" repeatedly in such a rapid fire way. Full cringe, can't even put my finger on why. He desperately needs someone to help his messaging wrt/BIPOC.

This is where I am. It's a cringe apology, even in the context of a white politician trying to not rock the boat.

What's worrisome is he's got some many Black people on his team. He's responses to Black people shouldn't be this sloppy.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I miss the "I'm friend with Obama" selling pitch, he should go back to that and just stick to it, or better, just shut up.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
That VP gonna have to double as a janitor with all the cleanup she'll be doing.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017

Democrats only care about us every four years because we're necessary to maintain power, and they'll threaten us if we get even the slightest bit annoyed with them ("Fine; eat four more years, you ingrates.")

Can't choose to abstain from voting or vote for another party either because then you're labeled a horrible person equivalent to the Republicans. It doesn't matter if the Democrat is not gonna do anything for you.

And even the above statement is enough to get you labeled as a both sideser. "You're annoyed that we like the police too? That sounds like some equating to me. I guess you want four more years!"

We're basically the conscience of America because white people can't be fucking bothered to just be better people.
This is true.

White people (collectively) get to be children, abstain, vote with their conscience, but we have the dagger of the Republican party over our heads every time we pull the lever.

And instead not the work being appreciated we are just called dumb muppets that vote Dem like we truly have a choice. We are engaged enough to vote for a reason and what are we thanked with? Clown after clown representing this Democratic party for white people who weren't going to vote for them anyway.

I don't expect any changes for policing or any of the shit Dems say they will do for black folk anymore, this shit just breaks you. And it's all because I don't expect white people to do the work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I am. It's a cringe apology, even in the context of a white politician trying to not rock the boat.

What's worrisome is he's got some many Black people on his team. He's responses to Black people shouldn't be this sloppy.
Hasn't his campaign had some serious issues with listening to black voices? I remember reading an article recently about a woman who worked on his campaign leaving because much of the leadership team is white and they weren't listening to her/other black campaign staff.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

This is all very true. But it immediately made me think of this:

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I get what his saying. While we aren't a monolith black americans have a lot of universal issues that we can at least get on the same page about.Issues change due to generation, class, sex but some of the big stuff stays constant since america is slow/been aint shit for forever. The Hispanic/Latinx diaspora just seems like a harder base to appeal to politically in the american way where we just group everyone together.

This gaffe will be forgotten in 2 days so while I don't hold it against anyone who is offended I cant be bothered.

This is what I interpreted the comments as myself. Besides the poor wording, what's the outrage about? It's largely true.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Democrats best strategy is to not let their nominee speak at all. Hilariously sad. Why has it come to this?

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Biden saying something stupidly offensive is part of who he has been as a politician since forever. I really doubt this is the last bizarre thing he will say, specially when pressure grows and he can't hide crafter speeches and operatives tweets anymore. Sigh.