• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up with season 2 and the repeated references to Dragon Ball Z in episode 3 are hilarious. I especially got a laugh out of Joe going Super Saiyan. Also Joe working over that salon full of old ladies was great as well.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The last shot of S2E10.

One of those times when you just realize you have tears slowly going down your face.

Also, didn't catch that Sarah's last name was Connor till this episode. Perfect.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been rewatching the show with a friend who had only seen a couple scenes here or there. They absolutely love it by the way but one thing I've come to realize is that this might be one of the best shows I've seen at capturing America as a real place. Just the extras in the background, the conversations they're having, the way they interact or even just sit on a barstool. It all comes off as very real and I love how the camera will just linger on seemingly random scenes. The final shot of season 2 is a prime example of this as its just a simple shot of a man in grieving enjoying the last home cooked meal from his grandmother he'll ever have but it doesn't go overboard with it, just presents it as is.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ill say it again, its my favorite show on tv right now. I dont watch alot of tv, the only things i used to be into were game of thrones and doctor who, but this show's combination of real wholesome moments and out their bizzaro humor struck such a cord with me

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the new episode on the app, this show so easily switches from eleven minute episodes to double length twenty-two minute episodes.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched the episodes from tonight yet but this week I caught up with the last 6 or so--the bachelor party and internet videos were amazing...

and then the pairing of Surprise and Write was sublime. Perfect television.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been rewatching the show with a friend who had only seen a couple scenes here or there. They absolutely love it by the way but one thing I've come to realize is that this might be one of the best shows I've seen at capturing America as a real place. Just the extras in the background, the conversations they're having, the way they interact or even just sit on a barstool. It all comes off as very real and I love how the camera will just linger on seemingly random scenes. The final shot of season 2 is a prime example of this as its just a simple shot of a man in grieving enjoying the last home cooked meal from his grandmother he'll ever have but it doesn't go overboard with it, just presents it as is.
Good news! Season 2 isn't over! New episode tonight, two more next week.

I'm breathless with bean arch anticipation...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck today - Shaquille O'Neal

What a great finale to a beautiful, funny, touching, strange, sad-yet-hopeful season.

sportzhead

Oct 27, 2017
Sarah: Rick Steves Europe is about to start.

Sarah: I hope he talks about Paris.
Joe: He always talks about Paris.

Joe: Would you want to go?
Sarah: I can't...... I'm on a list.

I love this show.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm up about two hours before the rest of the house and just made a fresh cup of coffee.

Let's see what this show is about.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is phenomenal. Heartwarming and genius, with this profoundly melancholy undercurrent that explores the way our shared sense of community has fallen apart in recent years by showing the exact opposite.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last two episodes are not the strongest of the season, still good but the couple of episodes before them were some of the best of the show. That said I do like seeing Joe growing as a person. I particularly loved the storyline with the Melskis through out the season and seeing them reuniting of the family at the end. Joe's final line to them was so simple but a profound and comforting thing to say to people in such a situation.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Beans episode was top quality TV. Show is so relaxing to unwind with.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Bookending the season with children singing over montages of the beginning / end of summer was very nice.

The end of the fashion episode where Joe spoke of what his Nana's house means to him was also very sweet. That was a good episode as was the one right before it about...
writing an obituary

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to joke about this show being Mr. Rogers for Adults/Millennials but I think its actually a pretty apt comparison in a lot of ways. Teaching you about mundane daily parts of our lives with a sincere appreciation for their intrinsic value to better our lives in small ways to helping navigate through tough or confusing times that everyone has like the loss of a loved one. I think the biggest thing though is just the awe and love of everything the world has to offer, big and small, and being so absolutely earnest about it. Weird to say this about a show on Adult Swim but it might be one of the most wholesome pieces of entertainment in the last decade.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the episode where he goes grocery shopping and couldn't figure out what I was watching or why I was watching it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched the church announcement episode like 30 times, but it's one of my favorite things I've ever seen. He's just so damn happy and wholesome.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to joke about this show being Mr. Rogers for Adults/Millennials but I think its actually a pretty apt comparison in a lot of ways. Teaching you about mundane daily parts of our lives with a sincere appreciation for their intrinsic value to better our lives in small ways to helping navigate through tough or confusing times that everyone has like the loss of a loved one. I think the biggest thing though is just the awe and love of everything the world has to offer, big and small, and being so absolutely earnest about it. Weird to say this about a show on Adult Swim but it might be one of the most wholesome pieces of entertainment in the last decade.
Agree with this post and also this:

'Joe Pera Talks With You' Is the Best Thing Adult Swim Has Ever Done

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The Fashion episode was so amazing, I was tearing up over the ending at the domes.

The last two eps too. lol at "we kissed in the tomato sauce."

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last two episodes once again prove that this is the most wholesome show on tv. I was choking back tears when joe was describing his dream to the other teacher.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I finished season two last night on the Adult Swim website. The last few episodes of season two are a gut punch right in the feels.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I can't read this thread, for fears of spoilers, but I just recently watched this and I LOVE it! I'll come back when I have caught up.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've just started watching it and I love this beautiful show. The sheer earnestness which he approaches everything is just so heart warming. Do yourself a favour and watch it. You won't regret it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
This is a perfect show for right now, too. A balm against the chaos and uncertainty and loneliness we're all facing.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first clip in the thread not knowing anything aside from it being Adult Swim so I expected it to take a dark turn but was pleasantly surprised (and also watched the thunderstorm one). Will check out the rest.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
Great show, very touching and some of the most melancholy I've felt in a while.

For any other UK peeps the whole first and second season is available on Channel 4's website.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some time in the last few years Adult Swim secretly became good again.

They were never really bad, they just put anything and everything on the air from Mr Pickles to Joe Pera Talks With You and everything in between. They're consistently inconsistent but there are few channels that have been bolder than AS and you can see how they've changed pop culture since their inception. Just the humor on their shows has become so normal now-a-days when it was so bizarre and new.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
They were never really bad, they just put anything and everything on the air from Mr Pickles to Joe Pera Talks With You and everything in between. They're consistently inconsistent but there are few channels that have been bolder than AS and you can see how they've changed pop culture since their inception. Just the humor on their shows has become so normal now-a-days when it was so bizarre and new.

You nailed it I think, though I'd add that I've noticed there's also definitely a fair bit of negativity towards Adult Swim from some because I believe they feel frustrated that AS doesn't produce and air the kind of niche media that originally drew them to it, but as you said Adult Swim is constantly trying out all kinds of new directions because they don't feel the need to keep feeding people the same kinds of shows over and over, outside of focusing mainly on comedic adult cartoons, but even then those can be anything from Metalocalypse to Lazor Wulf.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Youtube episode, was pretty decent, felt like Wonder Years ASMR

Is it a comedy bit, or did he suffer a stroke before.
First season is free without cable log in on Adult Swim site/app.

watch in order for season-long plot arc continuity. That becomes more of a focus in Season 2.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Michigan so the show gets me extra hootin' and hollerin.'

Is Jo Firestone going to be in season 2, I hope?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So excited. One of the best shows on TV. New Squidbillies with Tracy Morgan as Early too. Been a long time since Adult Swim had a great hour of premieres.