Status
Not open for further replies.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
It's a huge, huge loss for the PC gaming community as a whole. I can't think of another critic as competent, honest, thorough, reliable and on the consumer's side as him.

I'm really sad he left us, and so early.
I couldn't agree more.

And this is crushing. We knew that he wouldn't recover, but still....

We really lost one of the most important voices in the industry.

Rest in peace John.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
A few years back I lost my sister and then my mother to cancer. It affected me so much that I still tend to stay out of threads like this. You eventually come to grips with what has happened, but you never stop feeling the loss. Whenever I see a thread like this it just opens the hole in my heart that was left after my loved ones passed. I hope his family finds solace in the fact that he was loved and appreciated by so many people. I wish them well, and if I could talk to them I would say
"It gets better. Eventually you will start thinking more about the good times you shared and less about the loss. Thinking of him will make you smile more and cry less or smile while you are crying as you remember what he meant to you. God bless."

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really sad about this. His WTF videos were informative and entertaining. Will miss him. RIP. Fuck cancer.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, a year younger than me. Way too soon. :(

I always appreciated his integrity when it came to reviews/previews etc. He understood the influence he had over people's purchasing decisions and held himself to a high standard. Not a lot of people have that in the YT/Twitch scene.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's sad that we even had to have two mod edits here. Some people really showed their true colors and how ugly they can really be. Thankful for the moderation here.

I really got into TB's stuff when he was beta testing cataclysm and I remember being impressed that he managed to catapult his fame from that into something greater once cataclysm came out. I'm sure it would have been easy to fade into obscurity after that but he successfully turned himself into a platform for exploring indie games and commentary. Infinite respect for someone like him and I wish we could have seen where his career lead him 5-10 years from now.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017

For people unfamiliar with Warframe, Rebecca said in the Noclip Warframe documentary that the video John made about Warframe played a significant part in the game's success at the time when the studio was struggling financially (in fact, being on the brink of bankruptcy).

RIP John

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Man, it's sad that we even had to have two mod edits here. Some people really showed their true colors and how ugly they can really be. Thankful for the moderation here.

I really got into TB's stuff when he was beta testing cataclysm and I remember being impressed that he managed to catapult his fame from that into something greater once cataclysm came out. I'm sure it would have been easy to fade into obscurity after that but he successfully turned himself into a platform for exploring indie games and commentary. Infinite respect for someone like him and I wish we could have seen where his career lead him 5-10 years from now.

I think it's easy to forget that he's been a forerunner and mainstay when it comes to this whole "gaming personality" thing. Like I said before, he started podcasting 13-14 years ago, before podcasting was even a thing. Even when it comes to being a "youtube gaming personality", he was one of the first.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's easy to forget that he's been a forerunner and mainstay when it comes to this whole "gaming personality" thing. Like I said before, he started podcasting 13-14 years ago, before podcasting was even a thing. Even when it comes to being a "youtube gaming personality", he was one of the first.

Wow 13 years ago? I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that, I'll have to check out some of his older stuff.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Very sad news! :( RIP. I remember when he first announced that he got cancer, i got an anxiety attack then since i got problems with my guts myself. I got myself checked shortly after that (not the first time i've checked, but the news at the time made me escalate the time to get myself checked again). I will get myself checked again this fall.

Taikeny

Oct 27, 2017
loved his wowradio stuff. one of the finest moments was when he proposed to genna on air. he'll be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace TB

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland

For people unfamiliar with Warframe, Rebecca said in the Noclip Warframe documentary that the video John made about Warframe played a significant part in the game's success at the time when the studio was struggling financially (in fact, being on the brink of bankruptcy).

RIP John

Saw it earlier it made me cry as well.

I posted it earlier in this thread but i will do it again.

Also thanks to John he sure made a statement towards developers making games on PC, giving all the graphics options and most notable..FoV.

He did this to make sure developers would not screw it up ever again.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
This is so sad. RIP John. I'll be praying for his family and friends. This serves as a reminder for me to go and get a checkup. I haven't been to the doctor in three years.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Although I've only watched a handful videos made by John I've had an eye on his struggle these past years. I am sorry for the loss and may he rest in peace. :(

Fuck Cancer.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a little insensitive, but is there any video or whatever of talking about his lead up to getting cancer? Like, signs or anything that he experienced?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

RIP John

Fuuuck... I've almost cracked up myself after her initial words.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So im watching WTF is? and im at work and im crying.....

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

RIP John

Damn this and the Birmingham vid really got me, shit ;_;

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This is the video where he first talked about his cancer and how he discovered that he had it.

Sad.

Diagnosed in 2014, looks like? Seemed optimistic at the time.

4 years later, he's gone.

:(

He did say he had a family history of it.

Scary thing - I had some of the symptoms he described over the years, but never consistently and never for more then like a day or two. Certainly never got worse over time.

I can see why he would delay getting checked out - it does sound like hemorrhoids.

Cancer is such a bastard. It disguises itself pretty well and you don't realize what it is usually until it's too late. Warning signs look like common issues.

People should get checked out regularly, even if you have no symptoms. Yearly checkups are your best chance at preventing things from getting out of hand, if anything ever does pop up.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Those 2 videos got to me. Very sad indeed.

My dad also sent me a cnn article this morning when I woke up as he knew I watched TotalBiscuit.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
TB's passing has been on my mind all last night and all day today. I remember the diagnosis video when he first uploaded it, I remember the one from last year where he talked about what it's like to live with stage 4 cancer. Was a real eye opener.

The ESL tribute brought a tear to my eye. I wish he could see all this. Guy is a legend.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
This is the video where he first talked about his cancer and how he discovered that he had it.

This video just scared the shit out of me. I'm 29 (the age TotalBiscuit was), have been having some similar GI problems he described, and have a family history of colon cancer. I think I should probably get it checked out.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This video just scared the shit out of me. I'm 29 (the age TotalBiscuit was), have been having some similar GI problems he described, and have a family history of colon cancer. I think I should probably get it checked out.
Please do so. I lost a college friend at 28 to the disease. He was embarrassed about his symptoms and waited too long.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017

It never hurts to get checked. Ever since he was diagnosed he has been urging anyone to go see their doctor if something feels wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.