Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
JJ made Finn:

-Automatically infatuated and obsessed with the first white girl who crossed his path.

-Made him a Space Janitor so that he could be the butt of a joke.

-Gave him a lightsaber just so that he could be the delivery boy to the real hero of the story, the white girl.

-Put him into a coma.

And that's only from the "good" one

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In this episode we explain again why having your character screaming a girls name first thing whilst half naked might not leave the best impression of the direction in both the character's and audience's minds but whatever at this point the subject has been discussed and is largely moot.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
then why even finish the film with him in a fucking coma.

the point of him ending in a coma is because it would separate him from Rey.

that is the reason JJ did it, and any intellingent writer wouln't make them reunited right away at the beginning of the next story.

that's why the grow while separated, so when they reunited means something.

and it did.

then jj shit the bed

It's almost like they could have started TLJ with a time skip instead of literally hours after the first movie. Luke lost his hand in ESB omg, time skip, moving onto to new things. They didn't need him in a coma even, TLJ could have started with him awake and getting better, boom. Or recovered weeks later and out and about. They had millions of things and ways to go with after TFA ended.

Nov 1, 2017
Loyalty loyalty loyaltyyyy.

There was an article in the NYTimes (I think) about how he was relieved to be working with JJ again for TROS.

I feel as though JJ was setting up Finn for something big, then TLJ shit on it, then JJ had to scramble to make something for TROS since he was brought back at the last minute.

Poor guy was probably working with scraps and just needed to conclude a trilogy in the most convenient way possible.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
JJ made Finn:

-Automatically infatuated and obsessed with the first white girl who crossed his path.

-Made him a Space Janitor so that he could be the butt of a joke.

-Gave him a lightsaber just so that he could be the delivery boy to the real hero of the story, the white girl.

-Put him into a coma.

And that's only from the "good" one

Yeah, hate the bait and switch in the trailers for me before TFA. Like neat a black Stormtrooper turned Jedi. Oh, wait it's the white girl and this guy is kinda a joke in the 2nd half. I feel like people remember a different movie when they say TFA treated Finn with respect. He was a side character there too.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's almost like they could have started TLJ with a time skip instead of literally hours after the first movie. Luke lost his hand in ESB omg, time skip, moving onto to new things. They didn't need him in a coma even, TLJ could have started with him awake and getting better, boom. Or recovered weeks later and out and about. They had millions of things and ways to go with after TFA ended.

Because JJ resolved Rey's search for Luke in a 2 minute montage and a cliffhanger scene that absolutely needed to be continued.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rian did him so dirty.
How do you take an actor like Boyega and tell him to do a fucking sight gag in a leaky water suit.

last-jedi-databank-bacta-suit-main-image_faa88820.jpeg

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
In this episode we explain again why having your character screaming a girls name first thing whilst half naked might not leave the best impression of the direction in both the character's and audience's minds but whatever at this point the subject has been discussed and is largely moot.
I mean it kinda made sense didn't it? He got knocked out by Kylo while not knowing Rey's fate. Plus his entire character arc in TLJ is moving from only caring about Rey to giving a shit about what the Resistance is fighting for.

Dude tried to bail out the first chance he got before he got tasered by Rose, because he only cared about finding Rey.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
But it had to pick up directly from the lightsaber hand off. That's not something you can time skip past when the aim is to have Luke be gradually won over by Rey after initially rejecting her.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
However you feel about Finn's story in TLJ and TROS, there was no place for him to go after how his story turned out in TLJ. It essentially wrapped up his arc. At least his arc as RJ saw it. There was no time to develop him into a jedi or whatever in TROS since that aspect wasn't developed at all in TLJ, and he had no room in the Rey/Kylo conflict either.

This sentence hurts my brain

Finn went from the co-protagonist of the main story to the co-protagonist of (essentially) a sub story (that wrapped up with a neat little bow).

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Make him a Jedi and I'm all for it.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I was so excited going into it thinking that we were going to have a main character, that was black and a Jedi...and we all know how that turned out.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm in the "I enjoyed Finn's arc in TLJ" boat, but as the middle chapter, it did kind of depend on the third movie building to something bigger. The fact that TROS entirely failed to actually move that thread forward does retroactively make his role in TLJ feel thin when looking at it as a trilogy. I think it's entirely JJ's fault, but I at least get why some people don't enjoy it.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
However you feel about Finn's story in TLJ and TROS, there was no place for Finn to go after how his story turned out in TLJ. It essentially wrapped up his arc. At least his arc as RJ saw it. There was no time to develop him into a jedi or whatever in TROS, and he had no room in the Rey/Kylo conflict either.

LOL WHAT????

have you seen the Duel of the Fates script????

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it had to pick up directly from the lightsaber hand off. That's not something you can time skip past when the aim is to have Luke be gradually won over by Rey after initially rejecting her.
You absolutely can. In fact I'm pretty sure it's more usual to have a time skip after these kinds of cliffhangers (it can even be a short time skip like a week later or whatever) than picking up immediately afterward.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
However you feel about Finn's story in TLJ and TROS, there was no place for Finn to go after how his story turned out in TLJ. It essentially wrapped up his arc. At least his arc as RJ saw it. There was no time to develop him into a jedi or whatever in TROS, and he had no room in the Rey/Kylo conflict either.
There's a whole alternate episode 9 script that begs to differ.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I'm in the "I enjoyed Finn's arc in TLJ" boat, but as the middle chapter, it did kind of depend on the third movie building to something bigger. The fact that TROS entirely failed to actually move that thread forward does retroactively make his role in TLJ feel thin when looking at it as a trilogy. I think it's entirely JJ's fault, but I at least get why some people don't enjoy it.
read the comic, it is pretty sweet!

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it kinda made sense doesn't it? He got knocked out by Kylo while not knowing Rey's fate. Plus his entire character arc in TLJ is moving from only caring about Rey to giving a shit about what the Resistance is fighting for.
Yes but he didn't have to be naked , he didn't have to be screaming at the top of his lungs, he didn't even have to get dragged by the nose to fight for a "higher purpose ".

The basis of TLJ Finn's character growth was that he was selfish. And to be fair that is true, but by that logic everyone who fights for the rebels without adhering to some misguided care for the rebels who basically you just met is selfish.

In my eyes Finn's growth should have been to fight the rebels but not for the rebels he barely knew but for those he may have left behind. And I think that's what's frustrating about Finn's backstory and character. The backstory and blocks where there for him to be an independent and well defined character who didn't even need to join the rebels but instead both JJ and Rian wrote him to the point where he is just another faceless funny Blackman soldier.

And by god if people keep trying to justify that a child soldier not wanting to fight for the other side is cowardly ....

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ literally wrote that Finn was a janitor in his script.
Just goes to show anyone can become a Jedi which is what people keep screaming about the point of TLJ was. Simple Janitorial Stormtrooper breaks his bonds and develops deep ties to a core of friends while discovering his own ability to use the force.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It is a bit uncomfortable seeing people go all cognitive dissonance on Boyega assuming he must be out of his mind for wanting to work with a director he likes.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
LOL WHAT????

have you seen the Duel of the Fates script????

There's a whole alternate episode 9 script that begs to differ.

A script is a script. An actual finished movie is a different thing. Lots of things change.

At any rate, that script was never filmed, so we have no way of knowing how it would have turned out and how it would have been handled. Our imaginations are essentially filling the gaps.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show anyone can become a Jedi which is what people keep screaming about the point of TLJ was. Simple Janitorial Stormtrooper breaks his bonds and develops deep ties to a core of friends while discovering his own ability to use the force.
Sure. But it was treated as the butt of a joke here… never to be referenced again.

Oct 31, 2017
Episode X, opening scene. Rey is tossing and turning in bed, then suddenly sits bolt upright with a shout. Finn, startled awake in the bed next to her, fumbles for the light switch, flicks it on. Alarmed, he asks "what's wrong?!" Rey, breathing heavily, says "I just had the weirdest dream..."

and then the opening crawl to Episode VII: What REALLY Happened begins.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However you feel about Finn's story in TLJ and TROS, there was no place for him to go after how his story turned out in TLJ. It essentially wrapped up his arc. At least his arc as RJ saw it. There was no time to develop him into a jedi or whatever in TROS since that aspect wasn't developed at all in TLJ, and he had no room in the Rey/Kylo conflict either.
A script is a script. An actual finished movie is a different thing.

At any rate, that script was never filmed, so we have no way of knowing how it would have turned out and how it would have been handled. Our imaginations are essentially filling the gaps.
sCgDiET.gif

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Really this has been avoided many times, they just could use flash backs to what actually happened, or followed up then moved on forward back to Finn who is waking up and a ok. You also have the magic star wars timeline where folks jump from place to place with no stated time frames. In ESB apparently weeks and days go by between individual scenes but we have no clue, especially with hyperspace travel

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely can. In fact I'm pretty sure it's more usual to have a time skip after these kinds of cliffhangers (it can even be a short time skip like a week later or whatever) than picking up immediately afterward.
Seeing the initial rejection happen is just flat out more impactful then skipping ahead a week and implying that it has happened.
Starting that story with Rey having spent a week waiting for Luke to come out of his hut is just a boring way to come back to that thread. It also skips him finding out about Han's death which he finds out immediately upon seeing chewie/falcon and is another important part of his rejection of the hero role.
And alternatively jumping ahead to Luke already having warmed up to rey would be starting Luke's arc a quarter of the way into it.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Finn was at his best in TFA, so I can see why he has some affinity for JJ. Ep 9 was a shit show all around so I can imagine that wasnt the breaking point for him

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Plus show where he develops his Force abilities with Filoni writing and I'm all the way in.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
dont blame him, ROS is the worst overall movie in the ST, but Finn's bullshit in TLJ, especially Cantobite, was easily the worst shit in the entire ST, fucking awful, Finn literally made things worse for everyone.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Whatever your opinions of any of the movies are, none of them matter here. What matters is how John feels.