• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
On the Digital Foundry 1 million subs stream, the DF team was talking about the whole scaling and graphical disparity subject that resurfaced today due the PS5 teardown, and John Linneman said this:
We haven't actually had hands on with the PS5 yet, but just talking to developers... I think people will be surpresed in a good way. [I have been] hearing some good things about that PS5. It's not that triple but it's close

(Timestamped)

No idea of what ''It's not that triple'' means, someone on the PS OT said it was a Chad Warren reference, but it may not be.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
"it ain't that triple, but it'll do"
latest

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I only expect resolution differences but I do wish they had the same power. Regardless both are great and people will be happy I'm sure, especially those who don't tie themselves to a brand for silly reasons.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Trying to choose a console this time based on theoretical power differences is going to be a waste of time. The differences this gen are going to be minimal barring one or 2 exceptions early in the gen.

Cannot wait!

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 / XBSX is a much smaller gap proportionally than we've had between the PS4/XB1 and the Pro/X1 while being much less quirky in its architecture than the PS3 was vs the 360. Having a relatively close outcome in the end result is the obvious outcome of that for anyone other than people who *want* there to be a huge disparity between the end result of the next-gen consoles.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
He's also said similar on Twitter regarding the RT capabilities of the console. I'm not sure why people keep expecting huge differences out of the smallest power gap we've had in a while in the console space.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
In the age of image reconstruction, mesh shader adjascent primitive shaders, simple and acquainted with UMA, well liked SDK, whatever differences that would come into play, I cannot imagine them being any worse than the performance &/or native resolution discrepancy between One X and Pro (at worst).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I will say it again PS5 is an IO monster. Xbox is beefier don't mean it's more sturdy and durable in a race when pushed.

IO crushes even the best pc if you introduce problems there.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
He's also said similar on Twitter regarding the RT capabilities of the console. I'm not sure why people keep expecting huge differences out of the smallest power gap we've had in a while in the console space.
Yeah I dont think people get it at all. It's going to be a good system For what they made.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
is John the one who also (weirdly for DF) doesnt care much for native 4k as opposed to checkerboarding?

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
I'm pretty sure this was told before and that the ps4 to ps5 transition is more simpler while xbox has moved to their Gamecore GDK in like June so they are learning the new tools.
www.thurrott.com

The Latest on Xbox Game Core - Thurrott.com

Microsoft's latest Game Core update brings it closer to release as the company prepares for its next-generation Xbox launch.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Cerny said 36 CU is easier to get most use out of in combination w/ high clocks. I never expected large differences anyway

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
At the end of the day, I think all that matters is we're going to see amazing things on both consoles. This new generation is the biggest leap we've ever had, IMO.

Jul 10, 2020
Lol, this kind of came off more standoffish then I intended. My bad.

it was a more general question, but I could see how it seemed hostile! My bad.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
is John the one who also (weirdly for DF) doesnt care much for native 4k as opposed to checkerboarding?
It's not weirdly for DF, DF has been in on reconstruction for a while over native 4k and get better frame rates instead.

the funny part about commentary here all this is saying that the PS5 will be good, there is literally no mention about it compared to the XSX. All here is just them saying the devs enjoy the PS5.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's great news. As someone who watched that tear down, and understood about 25% of what I was looking at, its nice to hear this stuff in this fashion... lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

For multiplatform games it'll be what we're used to. higher dynamic resolutions and a little more bandwidth for RT is what we'll see a lot of on Xbox Series X. I don't think most people will care. Personally I'd rather have slightly faster loading than slightly higher resolutions, but it's ultimately a toss-up.

For first party exclusive titles, I am interested in seeing what Sony and MS's teams can do to show off the awesome hardware they've got on both ends.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's a good design overall. It won't match XSX, but it'll probably be more efficient due to clock speed and thus the TFLOP difference won't be linearly reflected in gfx.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
We're going to get the best gen we've ever had because of how well built both systems are. Devs are going to shine I tell ya.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 3rd party games will be very similar between the consoles. A significantly smaller gap than the gap between PS4 Pro and XB1X.

I think it will be cool to see Playstation exclusives really take advantage of that SSD, Xbox exclusives really take advantage of those extra TFLOPs, and 3rd party games remain largely similar.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think any of them do if it compromises performance and may well just think less and more at flawless performance is always better. I think it's a view more people have now generally but obviously 4K is nice when it happens and is smooth. It's just that new techniques are giving devs more headroom and going 4K just takes that away for arguably little benefit.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is a beast. XBSX is a bit more beastly but not by much.

The reality is they are both beasts and I don't think we will see the epic DF Foundry threads due to some of the embarassing state of launch year titles of the OG xbox.