• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone would assume there would be a big gap when a big gap simply does not exist on paper.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I keep seeing people saying this is the closest they've been in generations, but isn't the GPU / CU / TF difference larger than the PS4 vs OG Xbox One?

Am I wrong on those 3 things? Is it not a larger gap hardware/technically?
No, the difference is smaller - it's a 18% GPU gap this generation v. 42% last generation.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it will be close. As many of us have being saying, PS5 has actually the edge in a few areas thanks to the 22% higher clocks, so it will depend of the games but I expect some games should run better on PS5. The only question is: how many will run better on PS5?

And after that teardown (insane cooling + 350W PSU) it's clear that those high clocks are meant to be sustained.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The biggest differences between games on both consoles will be SSD and controller related.

How convenient, lol.

Era: "Chad Warden lol"
Me:
tenor.gif

Same. No idea what anyone is talking about.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they're that close, it means you can use other metrics than power to choose which platform to play on. eg where your friends play

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Devs do magic on PS4, I imagine there will not be an issue with good looking games next gen unless you play games with a spreadsheet, calculator, and stopwatch.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So he said is he is hearing good things about ps5

What happened in here?

they're gonna be splitting hairs ASAP anyway

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people expecting a clear power difference between the consoles are going to be shook when PS5 wins some DF face-offs.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
It's not weirdly for DF, DF has been in on reconstruction for a while over native 4k and get better frame rates instead.

the funny part about commentary here all this is saying that the PS5 will be good, there is literally no mention about it compared to the XSX. All here is just them saying the devs enjoy the PS5.
Yeah, it was just an offhand quote about how much developers enjoy working with the PS5, same thing many developers have stated about the Series X. It wasn't to try and compare the two for any malicious purposes. Both consoles will be amazing, both will bring the biggest leaps in console performance that we've seen yet, and both are really sophisticated, well designed pieces of hardware.

That's why I ordered both. Best of both worlds :)!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some people expecting a clear power difference between the consoles are going to be shook when PS5 wins some DF face-offs.
I'm not even expecting that. I will have the 🍿 ready still.

I just not expecting a massive gulf in favor of the Series X.

I think they both will have their advantages show, and maybe they won't and it will be so close it's a wash.

Last edited:

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think we are definitely hitting diminishing returns on this stuff for the average consumer. I doubt there will be much of a discernible difference between the consoles to the laymen.Things will always get better for sure and more powerful. But in basic terms.

Also what does the refernce even mean though?

"it ain't that triple, but it'll do"

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
is John the one who also (weirdly for DF) doesnt care much for native 4k as opposed to checkerboarding?

I like dynamic resolution and the new methods (dlss) but checkerboarding always look fuzzy to me. Rather devs just go dynamic and hope the next console revision boost it to stable 4k.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess the performance difference between the two is going to be incredibly small.

So I guess it just comes down to system preference, load times, and maybe, maybe, maybe, small visual details

Let's give Sony credit for the dualsense, it's a pretty hefty controller: haptics, motion sensors (gyro aiming is a must), addaptive triggers, a touchpad, speaker, microphone and 3.5mm out

I play most of my Steam games with Gyro on the steam controller, if a few PS5 titles get gyro support, that makes it my best option

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time understanding why this would happen, no reason why it should.
Theres actually plenty of reasons why this could happen.

Take Crash 4 for example, while the framerate and visuals are pretty similar between them,the textures/shadows etc were based off the base versions. The base PS4 and base xbox one. Because of that, PS4 Pro has better quality shadows and more shadows despite the fact that the series x is more powerful, because the games are based on the base hardware. The xbox series s is weaker so this could happen here.

Or lead development being on PS5 since it will likely sell more.

Or the faster SSD leads to less issues with popup, which could exist on xbox series x due to higher texture detail.

Lots of factors could apply.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Off topic, but wish these guys had a podcast where they talked general console and PC tech. They're just offering something other people are not right now. (Or at least, not talking intelligently about.)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
An offhand vague one sentence remark with no context or info to go on? There's no way didn't have the Era logo in his head when he said that.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Both of these consoles will be beasts and are much better tech for a great price compared to 2013. I know we'll have tons of comparisons but these things just tire me out when the real news here should be: This will likely be an awesome generation coming up from all hardware manufacturers.