Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
i do know he wrote and directed a lot of dude bro bad movies. Guess you were just liying then, good for you i guess. im finished with this rather strange conversation.
fqnSwRK.png

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
The guy who wrote Scary Movie 3, 4 and The Hangover Part II and III wrote the best show of the year.

Also, the guy who directed those Hangover movies currently has a movie with an average rating of 9.5.

Turns out you don't have to be a top 5 director of all time to have nuance in a movie.
Honestly, your point went over their head no point in arguing with people that have already made up their mind. Tho I personally don't think Chernobyl was the best show this year (It's still a great show) but your point still stands.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
what was the best show of the year that todd phillips is apparently responsible for? do tell me that part please
That would be Joker. His previous drama was a decent first go at the genre for him and his writing has always been very crowd pleasing.

Edit: oh the Scary movie/hangover and a TV show.his previous writing partner for the Hangover movies went on to write Chernobyl at HBo this past year. He also wrote some Scary Movies.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Hmmmm i didn't expect it to do so well. Mark me as pleasantly surprised. I'll try to see if i can make time to see it when it comes out

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Only Scorsese or Kubrick are able to convey nuance in film?
Here's an except of the nuance exhibited by Phillips in Joker taken from a review I read earlier:
"A notice hangs on the headboard of a public staircase that reads, "Don't forget to smile". As he saunters underneath it, Joaquin Phoenix's violently depressive deadbeat rent-a-clown, Arthur Fleck, pulls out a black marker pen from his pocket and scrubs out the words "forget to".

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck does craig mazin got to do with this movie though? and chernobyl is not the best show of the year but ok

let's just say that if you respect your own intellect you wont go into joker for social commentary, that will be the 4chan plan...but whatever floats your boat
I thought you were done, champ?

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Well I don't know what the hell this slap fights all about in the last page but, Chernobyl was harrowing enough (ep 4 especially gashes your soul), but The Boys is the best show of the year

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I honestly was not hyped or excited for any other movie this year but dammit I am buying a ticket the second they go on sale.

Oct 26, 2017
The good reviews make me more sad this is a Joker movie. I hate the idea of Joker having any origin story. I'll just watch and pretend this is called "Clowner" or something.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The good reviews make me more sad this is a Joker movie. I hate the idea of Joker having any origin story. I'll just watch and pretend this is called "Clowner" or something.

The reviews have made it clear it's left fairly ambiguous and the narrative is open to interpretation in many ways. I doubt this is the concrete Joker origin you're worried about.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, just read that Indiewire review. Multiple personal insults at the director, but he ultimately calls it a paradigm shifting film. This is gonna be something, isn't it?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Is someone making you watch those movies?

It's nice to have variety. Comic book characters can be so rich, but it's wasted when all of the movies have the same intentions with their execution. So, instead of every CBM chasing the MCU moneypot why not get creative with it?

Just view it as the elseworlds tale that it is. I doubt we'll be seeing Phoenix going up against Robert Pattinson anytime soon. I don't view Superman as being a weapon of the KGB, but I'm definitely ok with getting a story about it.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Why? He had an origin story in Burton Batman, he had one in The Killing Joke. Even the comics have told origin stories, admittedly many variations, which is where the multiple choices of Ledger's Joker came from. Ledger's wasn't shown but like the comics it could be because he just doesn't really remember his previous life. It was in no way a thing to not have an origin story for the Joker.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
There was this guy in the other Joker thread arguing American History X should not have been made because Nazi's liked that one curbstomp scene in it.
That's a sentiment I've seen from multiple posters. There are some people that think we shouldn't have stories that could be in any way misinterpreted by the worst of humanity, even if that story is blatantly against those people.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that review has some spoilers in it so I want to avoid it. Would you mind sharing what personal insults were in it?

Sure...

It's possessed by the kind of provocative spirit that's seldom found in any sort of mainstream entertainment, but also directed by a glorified edgelord who lacks the discipline or nuance to responsibly handle such hazardous material, and who reliably takes the coward's way out of the narrative's most critical moments.

Phillips, whose cinematic legacy was previously defined by the "Hangover" trilogy and that scene in "Road Trip" where he cast himself as a random creep who sucks on Amy Smart's toes, has made a film that is somehow all of these things at once: It's a visionary, twisted, paradigm-shifting tour de force and a bar-lowering mess of moral incoherence. It's nothing less (and nothing more) than an agent of unbridled chaos.

But Phillips, stuck between reinventing the superhero movie from the ground up and throwing a cheap disguise on the same dumb origin story we've already seen 1,000 times, needs his Joker to be both the light and the dark, the yin and yang, the only sane man in a world gone mad. He needs to have his cake, and to smear it all over his face in a big red smile too. The result is an immaculately crafted piece of mass entertainment that wants to be all things to all people, less a Rorschach test than a cinematic equivalent of Schrödinger's Cat that leaves us feeling like the movie, and the current state of studio filmmaking itself, might actually be dead and alive at the same time.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
7qXBt-1518820293-11433-list_items-6_spit-take-sanford-and-son.gif

Phoenix turning in a solid performance was expected; but based on Todd Phillips' track record (mostly misses than hits), I was seriously expecting the rest of this film to be not good, rather than the other way around.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this simply down to film critics watching a movie and discussing through the lens of y'know, cinema?

Instead of the now-ingrained MCU audience (ie all of us, no matter your opinion on any individual entry) that looks at something through the prism of those particular movies and those particular performances within?

Jun 22, 2019
Unless there's something really intriguing to the plot that the trailers completely omit (and I am generally aware at this point of who gets killed), this movie really seems to me like a case of style that tricks people into feeling like there's substance.

I always hope to be wrong when thinking a movie looks bad or mediocre, so I hope I'm wrong but... yeesh, does that trailer make it look like the socioeconomic aspects are going to be superficial at best, and completely embarrassing at worst.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
7qXBt-1518820293-11433-list_items-6_spit-take-sanford-and-son.gif

Phoenix turning in a solid performance was expected; but based on Todd Phillips' track record (mostly misses than hits), I was seriously expecting the rest of this film to be not good, rather than the other way around.

I agree, but to be fair, Todd Phillips also had Scott Silver co-writing the screenplay.

Scott Silver has a history of writing/co-writing good serious dramas. Like 8 Mile and The Fighter.

scottsilverpxjaf.jpg

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sympathizing with a character isn't the same as justification for their atrocities and it continues to astound me how many people seem to conflate the two.

When Allan Moore wrote The Killing Joke, he created a backstory for a villain who – up until that point – had been largely a one-note sociopath and psychopathic killer. He made him a failure who loses the only good thing in his life and through a string of unfortunate events has his mind torn to pieces and stitched back together by one final trauma, converting him into a super-villain.

Yet at no point does the Killing Joke ever absolve the Joker of his evil deeds or make excuses for his behaviors. Towards the end Batman reinforces this by demonstrating how Gordon – despite the horrific machinations of the Joker – maintains his sanity and bearings even in the face of his own personal tragedy and when Batman points this out, it infuriates the Joker because his excuse for being a monster is essentially obliterated.

Now, I haven't seen this film yet but unless the message at the end is that we are supposed to be rooting for this murderous madman or that his transformation isn't his own fault, there's really no problem and hopefully we haven't reached a point where nuance and characterization must be extricated from our on-screen villains because we fear some subset of fools might misread the thematic intent.

For example, I've encountered people who think the character of Anton Chigurh is the 'hero' of No Country for Old Men.

You can't modulate or control stupidity.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I thought War Dogs was really good and showed Todd Phillip's had another side to him than just comedy.

Besides that, I thought key and Peele were complete garbage. I thought their show was mostly miss and found them annoying. And yet Peele delivered a horror master piece out of nowhere.

People dont have to fit inside a box, and they can grow as artists. It seems Todd is growing.

I cant wait to watch this and look forward to more of his output post comedy.