Oct 25, 2017
I get the buzz about Joaquin's performance. But I don't think the movie is going to end up with special reviews. Best picture candidates usually end with a meta in the high 80's to low 90's. There are exceptions of course, like Bohemian Rhapsody last year lol And I'm still not sure how that wound up getting a nom.
The Revenant was nominated for 12 Oscar awards in 2016 and won 3 of them with a 76% meta rating.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I get the buzz about Joaquin's performance. But I don't think the movie is going to end up with special reviews. Best picture candidates usually end with a meta in the high 80's to low 90's. There are exceptions of course, like Bohemian Rhapsody last year lol And I'm still not sure how that wound up getting a nom.

Best Actor is not the same as BP.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
so so tired of some press attached to this movie, with some guys crowning this film as an incel love letter, annoys the hell out of me, blaming movies for deep rooted issues
it's as reductive as the right wing blaming violent video games ( which even have higher engagement and time spent ) for violent behaviour,

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, but to be fair, Todd Phillips also had Scott Silver co-writing the screenplay.

Scott Silver has a history of writing/co-writing good serious dramas. Like 8 Mile and The Fighter.

scottsilverpxjaf.jpg

Ah, okay. I'm not too familiar with him or his works.

Larkoz

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but to be fair, Todd Phillips also had Scott Silver co-writing the screenplay.

Scott Silver has a history of writing/co-writing good serious dramas. Like 8 Mile and The Fighter.

scottsilverpxjaf.jpg
He also got to work with Scorsese's crew (the same people worked on The Irishman) and producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff (Scorsese's protégé since The Departed).

Some of the best people in the industry worked on Joker, the stars were aligned.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
And also to be fair Taxi Driver was also linked to a political assassination plot, so it was quite obviously a 'dangerous' film but I think Scorsese's direction while sympathetic to Travis never ever attempts to justify, rationalise or explain his behaviour (though some viewers keep trying - like bringing up PTSD from the Vietnam war which is never even hinted at, Travis being a Vietnam vet is mentioned like once and is tangential to his state of mind).
I feel like Travis' costume literally being his jacket from Vietnam is the film's way of saying it's very much a part of him and how he's behaving.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Travis' costume literally being his jacket from Vietnam is the film's way of saying it's very much a part of him and how he's behaving.
That is very interesting. Very similar to the Joker in fact based on spoilers that have been confirmed by the recent trailer and reviews.

MAJOR JOKER SPOILER
Joker's red suit belongs to his mother (adoptive) who he murders after finding out that she tortured and neglected him when he was young.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
That is very interesting. Very similar to the Joker in fact based on spoilers that have been confirmed by the recent trailer and reviews.

MAJOR JOKER SPOILER
Joker's red suit belongs to his mother (adoptive) who he murders after finding out that she tortured and neglected him when he was young.

That... Jesus.... these trailers do not set you up for. And that's awesome.

Jun 22, 2019
Do people not realize that the "incel flavoring" being complained about can simply refer to the movie experience not being enjoyable?

If someone complains about incel vibes it doesn't have to mean they think the world is going to suddenly get worse as a result, it can just mean it made the movie worse.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Seems silly to think the film will provoke violence. It's more likely to just be the sort of polished edgy mediocrity guaranteed to sell a lot of movie posters to college kids like Boondock Saints before it. Tacky but socially harmless.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Seems silly to think the film will provoke violence. It's more likely to just be the sort of polished edgy mediocrity guaranteed to sell a lot of movie posters to college kids like Boondock Saints before it. Tacky but socially harmless.
Yeah, this is like someone saying "could Doom Eternal cause mass shootings" like no, we've been over this.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a little bad for Leto. His goal was to be a great Joker. He put everything in to create a great joker in his mind and at the end he was cut from most of the movie and now somebody else not only gets praised for their work but gets his own movie . That must sting.

Its like being in a relationship for years but you split up even though you thought it was perfect and then you see the person marry the next person 1 year later with a baby on the way. damn ^^
Dude has been able to reinvent himself as a cult leader

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I feel a little bad for Leto. His goal was to be a great Joker. He put everything in to create a great joker in his mind and at the end he was cut from most of the movie and now somebody else not only gets praised for their work but gets his own movie . That must sting.

Its like being in a relationship for years but you split up even though you thought it was perfect and then you see the person marry the next person 1 year later with a baby on the way. damn ^^

The crazy thing is I think Leto had it in him to pull a Heath Ledger caliber Joker, he was just roped into the awful schlocky world that David Ayer crafted. Obviously molding that Joker into that image. As cringey as it was.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
As a gamer, lover of hip hop and lover of horror films any day I should be forced to go on a murder spree according to people. Any day now.

Seriously though these conversations are stupid and the pearl clutching on a video game forum is fucking weird.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
With Todd Philips behind it I was very skeptical. But hopefully this turns out great and makes money so we can get different kinds of Marvel/DC films. Deadpool proved rated R comic movies can work, but if this actually does result in awards I could see it leading to far more interesting projects using comic characters.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Blows my mind how high the scores are for this thing considering how many review blurbs I've skimmed through follows the compliments with sly jabs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this but less so to all of the cringey counter culture shit that Joker stuff seems to spawn.

realSentientStone

alt account
Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Vancouver, BC
I'm not saying we should blame media over gun control, but studies have shown a link between prolonged media exposure and an individual's perception of "reality" becoming aligned with the frame of the media. With that said, I have been looking forward to this film ever since it and its casting was first announced, and I am sure most here won't go on a rampage due to this film.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Seriously. Vietnam being a horrific thing that alienated and atomized those who went there is most certainly a salient undercurrent of the film. What its relationship to Travis is - if he's just the kind of fucked up person who wants to go to war, if he got fucked up by what he saw there, or something else entirely - is of course debatable, but the fact he is propelled by a microcosmic version of America self-appointing itself the world's hero is not merely incidental.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Just me

Fortunately I'm a trained actor with a degree in Performing Arts

I have a B in GCSE Drama, I'll be your understudy. I've already been practicing your lines:

"Wherefore art Thou mine wrestling-shirt? I must Don you hence before I can endeavour in a round of sparring with The Knights Of Choke, for I amst a villain!"

Oct 29, 2017
Much, much better reviews than expected. I read some of the script and wasn't too impressed with it so glad to see the movie worked out.

Was concerned it would just be overly-edgy and dark. Seems not.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
9.02/10 is one of the more impressive average scores i can remember seeing on Rottentomatoes.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between top critics and all critics is pretty interesting.

Yes. I know that nobody looks at top critics.

Edit: but the top critic average is still 8,33 wtf lol.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
9.02/10 is one of the more impressive average scores i can remember seeing on Rottentomatoes.

Was going to point that out, not often that the score aggregate is higher than the tomato rating thing.
A lot of the 98-99% fresh movies are often in the 8/10 range.