• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

End of a era. Think whatever you want about Apple, it is impossible to overstate Jony's place in the design of electronics in modern society. What are your favorites?

Mine are:

Original iphone

original-iphone.jpg

iMac DV SE
imac_se_ice.jpg

IPod 3rd Gen
ipodclassic3.jpg

These are the products that got me into the Apple eco system.

While I think it was probably time for him to move on, I love so much of the work that he did.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I will always have love for the original Bondi Blue iMac
bondi-blue-imac-2008-100756817-large.jpg

But my favorite is probably the iMac G4
imacg4-780x536.jpg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
ipodclassic3.jpg

Mcfrank
I have this one and...it needs a Firewire port to even charge. To do anything at all really.

I liked some of the dude's designs but I'm at a loss of words in the early stages of Apple's products. Hell, even now lol

My fav. design is the lampshade iMac. But I don't think that was Ive's doing, right?

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
ipodclassic3.jpg

Mcfrank
I have this one and...it needs a Firewire port to even charge. To do anything at all really.

I liked some of the dude's designs but I'm at a loss of words in the early stages of Apple's products. Hell, even now lol

My fav. design is the lampshade iMac. But I don't think that was Ive's doing, right?

FireWire was pretty standard back then. At least on Mac.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
FireWire was pretty standard back then. At least on Mac.
I do recall. Even a bunch of PCs had 'em. Usually media PCs. Thing is, USB had already been standardized for a while there. Yeah it was slower but it wasn't like people were uploading straight up FLAC (ahemmm ALAC) at that point in time...maybe power users...just a dumbass idea to only allow that connection imo lol

Edit* Anyway neither here nor there. Don't think he designed the shitty sides of the engineering. Correct me if I'm wrong.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
ipodclassic3.jpg

Mcfrank

i mean ipods were Mac only to begin with, right?

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Now imagine going somewhere on weekend. You need to take your Mac with you or you are fucked after several hours.

I had a FireWire car adapter, so I never really thought about it. Not like USB wall chargers were everywhere then like they are now. Most portable devices used proprietary chargers back then.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
I do recall. Even a bunch of PCs had 'em. Usually media PCs. Thing is, USB had already been standardized for a while there. Yeah it was slower but it wasn't like people were uploading straight up FLAC (ahemmm ALAC) at that point in time...maybe power users...just a dumbass idea to only allow that connection imo lol

Macs only had USB 2.0 support from late 2003 on and the last iPod that was "Firewire only" came out in spring 2003. Also, the iPod was still mostly an "Apple only" product at the time; the first Windows version of iTunes only came out in late 2003 as well. So the lack of USB support seems weird in hindsight, but it actually made sense at the time.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Macs only had USB 2.0 support from late 2003 on and the last iPod that was "Firewire only" came out in spring 2003. Also, the iPod was still mostly an "Apple only" product at the time; the first Windows version of iTunes only came out in late 2003 as well. So the lack of USB support seems weird in hindsight, but it actually made sense at the time.
That does explain it. But what about USB 1.0? Were there no USB ports at all? TBH, I was still in grammar school at the time. 8th grade. So my memory is a biiiit fuzzy. Way too poor to even have anything Apple let alone a good PC (which we did have, thankfully, since '99! Windows ME lmao)

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
That does explain it. But what about USB 1.0? Were there no USB ports at all? TBH, I was still in grammar school at the time. 8th grade. So my memory is a biiiit fuzzy. Way too poor to even have anything Apple let alone a good PC (which we did have, thankfully, since '99! Windows ME lmao)
USB 1.1 could do 1.5 Mbps. In comparison to Firewire's 400 Mbps.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Jony did amazing things for Apple, and industrial design in general, but it was obvious he'd become bored in recent years. Him moving on is probably the best for everyone.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iPhone 4/5/5S are my favourites, not holding it right aside!

I feel Cook is a bit of a maniac in price reduction, profit margins but they've aren't the worse looking beside the camera, just his priorities to squeeze every cent is maybe going a bit too far.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jony went a bit off the rails chasing thinness, but he had so many great designs that he will always be a legend. Apple is on a good track regarding design, even without Jony at the helm.

Oct 25, 2017
Difficult to think about him without being constantly reminded of some of Apple's worst excesses in their approach to design over the past few years.

He checked out in 2015 and they haven't been able to realign themselves whilst he was still in a position of authority. He did great work but he was long past his best in consumer electronics for many years.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Usb speeds were SUPER slow back then. Usb 1.1 was only really good for peripherals like mice and keyboards. If you did any kind of multimedia work, you either used scsi (scuzzy) or Firewire.

Plus Firewire could also send up to 45 watts per port at 30 volts so it was pretty ideal for the iPod at the time.

Usb 2.0 was miles better than 1.1 for external drives but Firewire could still beat it when it came to sustained data throughput which is why it was still used for DV work.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Lampshade Mac is god-tier
When I left university I worked for a media production company, and their After Effects / motion graphics department exclusively used these while I was stuck on some beige Windows machine they'd rescued from storage. I used to be so jealous.

EDIT: I should say that I agree with the poster up-page who said Apple's current line-up is the best it's been in quite a while. Three MacBooks (one Air, two Pros,) and a clearly-delineated range of iPads that includes the iPad Pro, which is probably my favourite piece of Apple design... even if I don't own one yet.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Jony was tremendously important to shape Apple's DNA with regards to product design.

Jony seems to have been detrimental to product functionality throughout the recent years. More and more, Apple's products felt designed with design as an end in itself, for a while (slimmer and slimmer devices at all cost). The recent releases by Apple (16" macbook pro, iPhones 11, AirPods pro) feel much less compromised, and much more consumer facing.

If it's not causality (consumer-first design vs. design-first design happening BECAUSE Ive left) it's at least correlation (Apple needing to make compromises on their design visions for functionality purposes, Ive might not have been into that idea).

edit:
And i second the sentiment that the iPhone 4 was Ive's magnum opus at Apple. Or among his best and most iconic designs.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite was his incredibly self-aggrandizing tone in product introduction videos.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the info, all! 1.5 Mbps is insane for USB 1.1. They should've called it USB 1.5 LOL

Still, would've been nice if USB could at least transfer shit even if slow, but looks like actually the main reason they didn't bother to include USB support back then was probably power. Firewire had some serious wattage!

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the info, all! 1.5 Mbps is insane for USB 1.1. They should've called it USB 1.5 LOL

Still, would've been nice if USB could at least transfer shit even if slow, but looks like actually the main reason they didn't bother to include USB support back then was probably power. Firewire had some serious wattage!

Understand that at the time, storage was tiny and slow, and no one, apart from professionals, really needed a lot of storage. MP3s were just starting to be a thing and no one had a digital camera. The average person just had Word files to back up so 3 inch floppies were more than enough. But then thumb drives became cheaper, and digital cameras became cheaper and suddenly there was a need for speedy external storage for all that media.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Understand that at the time, storage was tiny and slow, and no one, apart from professionals, really needed a lot of storage. MP3s were just starting to be a thing and no one had a digital camera. The average person just had Word files to back up so 3 inch floppies were more than enough. But then thumb drives became cheaper, and digital cameras became cheaper and suddenly there was a need for speedy external storage for all that media.
You are quite right. Really bringin' me back to that era with these comments lol

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My first digital camera used SmartMedia cards (up to 128MB and they were expensive as hell).

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
My first digital camera used SmartMedia cards (up to 128MB and they were expensive as hell).

My first digital camera used Xd memory cards (remember those??). And yes, they were expensive. I tried to just get by with the puny card that came with the camera, but it could only hold like 12 or 15 pictures at a time.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Given that their latest MacBook Pro update actually went BACK to an older style and got heavier and bigger than the previous version instead of chasing that thinness high like usual, I'm not surprised.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
3rd gen iPod was the GOAT. Being able to have it in my pocket and still being able to change songs/play/pause while I was in class was a life saver in high school lmao

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
3rd gen iPod was the GOAT. Being able to have it in my pocket and still being able to change songs/play/pause while I was in class was a life saver in high school lmao
ughhh, I wanna use mine. Do you know of any adapters to charge it? Everything I read is all over the place. Apparently when it's charged, I can transfer music thru USB but the thing is a brick right now due to the fuckin' Firewire requirement.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Given that their latest MacBook Pro update actually went BACK to an older style and got heavier and bigger than the previous version instead of chasing that thinness high like usual, I'm not surprised.
I'd like to imagine they went behind his back on that one,

"Quick! He's not looking, add more thickness!!"

"Check this out: I smuggled out instructions for the scissor switches from his stash!"

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Should probably mention the iPhone X had design issues because Jony Ive was never there.