lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Understand that at the time, storage was tiny and slow, and no one, apart from professionals, really needed a lot of storage. MP3s were just starting to be a thing and no one had a digital camera. The average person just had Word files to back up so 3 inch floppies were more than enough. But then thumb drives became cheaper, and digital cameras became cheaper and suddenly there was a need for speedy external storage for all that media.
The "digital hub" was a big concept back then. Now it's all in our phone.

6Dkv2eE.jpg

Should probably mention the iPhone X had design issues because Jony Ive was never there.
He spent two years designing all the furniture and fixtures for Apple Park. Everything from the desks to the door latches.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd like to imagine they went behind his back on that one,

"Quick! He's not looking, add more thickness!!"

"Check this out: I smuggled out instructions for the scissor switches from his stash!"
Well they already had the moulds available. it's pretty much the same casing as generation 3. They just had to tweak a few things. Still crazy that they went back after going that thin and light.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
FireWire was pretty standard back then. At least on Mac.

It was standard on macs and specialized PCs, but back then, unless you got lucky or were mindful to get one on PC, you were out of luck a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I used to have to break the bad news to a number of people trying to download DV footage from their camcorders back in the day. I was very glad when companies moved away from the standard.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Maybe its for good? Apple has favoured design over functionnality instead of striking a balance, to the detriment of usability or durability.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Officially an end of an era. Jony Ive has done amazing work. I am excited to see what he does next and curious how his departure will affect Apple's future industrial design.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It was standard on macs and specialized PCs, but back then, unless you got lucky or were mindful to get one on PC, you were out of luck a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I used to have to break the bad news to a number of people trying to download DV footage from their camcorders back in the day. I was very glad when companies moved away from the standard.
I got a 3rd gen iPod as a gift and had to go in search of a IEEE 1394 card (no one wanted to pay to licence that name) for my PC in order to enjoy those high-speed music transfers.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iPhone 4 is an absolute masterpiece. We take it for granted now because everything that followed evolved from it but a truly gorgeous design.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the look of it, but I wouldnt call it a masterpiece since Apple had to give away free cases to make up for the antenna issues.
Almost every thing designed by Ive under Apple had some sort of flaw due to form over function. Off the top of my head, CD drive that was too low and would hit the mouse and keyboard lol

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Good riddance. He became of late self-indulgent and pushed for products with the proverbial form over function.

He will never top the iPhone 5 and the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro.
The new 16" Pro has the same design as the 2012-2015 model. I mean the ports are still gone and it still has a TouchBar, but it's basically what the last generation should have been.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
G4 days were the best.
PowerBook 12"
Powermac
G4 Cube
G4 imac
iPod

this era of design at Apple was the pinnacle.