• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Great news for the IP. I know some people who couldn't be bothered to read through an entire Yakuza but might've been interested otherwise.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear on both counts. While I'll go for Sub over Dub, I can see they've put in the effort and it'll only be useful for people who don't like subtitles. I hope this game does well! :)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Dual Audio? Fine with me. I'll keep playing it with subs, people who want can get it for the dub. Seems like we're all winning.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
That's still a weird choice.
Has there even been a game with dual audio with two different scripts so far? I'm obviously not talking about different sub languages.
Anime dubs/subs are done similarly due to the script differences needed to fill the lip flaps/scene length. The dub will be the localized script, while the sub is a more faithful translation. The act of just copying the dub script and putting into the subs (dubtitles) is often seen as a lazy practice.

They're essentially giving the choice between the adapted script that the voice actors were given, and a more direct script. That said, it's an odd practice, but it's not unwelcome. I can't really imagine someone picking the dub voices and the more direct subtitles, for example. but the option is nice.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many dead bodies have been found in that one back lane in kamurocho over the years?

The local government should really put a security camera there or something.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Has there even been a game with dual audio with two different scripts so far? I'm obviously not talking about different sub languages.
I don't remember seeing it in games too much. But in anime it's a common practice.
I remember there would even be criticism for subtitles in anime being the exact same as the English script with people calling them "dubtitles".

ket

Jul 27, 2018
As long as I can play with Japanese voices & English sub then im good

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

It's common in a lot of English dubbed Japanese media. English and Japanese just aren't really compatible languages in a lot of ways. If you're going to dub it the script really should be different otherwise it'll just sound weird.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
this is the best news ever. i was going to bitch about the downgrade and a new age of dubtitles. glad they made the right choice there. you can't praise them enough for this.

Yeah, it really shows you how the devs are willing to go the extra mile to deliver the best possible experience for players with different preferences. They didn't absolutely have to do this, but they did, and it paints the picture of how much they care about this game.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time a game by the Yakuza devs got English voice localization?

Time to finally get into these games.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm just quoting this post, but same for the others above
It's common in a lot of English dubbed Japanese media. English and Japanese just aren't really compatible languages in a lot of ways. If you're going to dub it the script really should be different otherwise it'll just sound weird.
I understand that, but Yakuza is already localized a lot. I'm not sure how keeping a single script couldn't have worked in this case.

Oct 31, 2017
Happy to see the English dub is pretty good! I'll be playing with the original voices but that makes the game more palatable in the west for a lot of people.

That audio track was made for the US market, not the West.

Wow, this is crazy! This means that the English subtitles for the English dub will be different than the subtitles for the Japanese dub, so there won't be any situation where the subtitles won't match what they were saying because they had to take liberties with the dub. That's a lot of extra work and they will still manage to release the game just half a year later after the Japanese release. Rock on, Sega localization team!

That's pretty great !

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the voice work sounds pretty great in the trailer! I suspect I'll stick to the Japanese track + subtitles, given I'm a Yakuza guy, but having a good dub option will surely be a huge help towards marketing the game. Amazing work from everyone involved!

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This and also I imagine the animation is made for the Japanese voice lines already, so the English voice acting is going to match up to that. Unless they're going to change the animations to match the English voice lines, the English dub script is limited by that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Subs that closely resemble what's actually being said in the Japanese audio? That's great! Dragon Ball games suffer from this shit where the Japanese audio says one thing but they keep the localized version of the dub, so sometimes you're reading something that's not actually being said.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Don't release it near Shenmue 3. Knowing Sega they will. I want to be able to pick up both

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if the VA will be more comprehensive than the Yakuza games? I'd much rather be listening and watching than just reading especially in a game that will probably be cutscene heavy.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly contemplating playing Judgement with dub. Not only do you have English VAs, but some I wouldn't have expected in this...like someone got a budget for this. This feels like an attempt similar to the first Yakuza game (not discarding the efforts of the other games, especially in recent times, this one feels different), I hope this time they're successful.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the VA will be more comprehensive than the Yakuza games? I'd much rather be listening and watching than just reading especially in a game that will probably be cutscene heavy.
Well its got an English dub but there will be unvoiced dialogue box stuff as well. So its not like 6 where absolutely everything is voiced.