• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.cnn.com

Julian Assange's extradition to US approved by UK government | CNN

UK Home Secretary Priti Patel has signed an order to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the United States, where he faces espionage charges, in a decision his organization said marked a "dark day for press freedom."

London (CNN)UK Home Secretary Priti Patel has signed an order to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the United States, where he faces espionage charges, in a decision Wikileaks said marked a "dark day for press freedom."
A London court issued a formal extradition order back in April, leaving Patel to rubber-stamp his transfer to the US after a years-long legal battle.
The decision will likely see months more of legal wrangling: Assange has the right to appeal Friday's decision within 14 days, according to a Home Office statement announcing the order.
Wikileaks said Assange's extradition will be appealed, stressing that the "next appeal will be before the High Court," according to a Friday statement.
The organization asserted that Assange "committed no crime and is not a criminal," adding that he is a "journalist and a publisher" who "is being punished for doing his job."
"This is a dark day for Press freedom and British democracy. Anyone who cares about freedom of expression should be deeply ashamed," Wikileaks added.
In Friday's statement, the Home Office stressed that the UK courts have not found that extradition of Assange would be incompatible with his human rights.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot reveal Uncle Sam atrocities and hope to never be brutalized yourself. The defenders of freedom and democracy everybody...now clap along and walk away.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
The evil witch strikes again!!

Hope the ECHR does the right thing when they hear the appeal.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
iLlLxgv.jpg

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Assange pissed away any sympathy I had for him long ago.

foreignpolicy.com

WikiLeaks Turned Down Leaks on Russian Government During U.S. Presidential Campaign

The leak organization ignored damaging information on the Kremlin to focus on Hillary Clinton and election-related hacks.

Between his rants on feminism, his doxing of Afghan informants, and his eagerness to disseminate propaganda for authoritarian regimes, he's shown his true colors.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Disgusting, but not surprised.

He's being extradited for journalism.

The UK's legal system is of no interest or relevance to me.

I admired him once…briefly…but he turned out to be a piece of shit for the reasons outlined above among others. I ain't crying for that narcissistic piece of shit who wants to pretend Russia is better than the USA.

Oh yeah! And he helped Orange Hitler. Yeah I hope they throw the book at him. He's an enemy of democracy. A shit-poster writ large who cares more about himself than the self-righteous mission he pretended this was all about.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They've obviously forgotten how uncooperative the US was when they were trying to get Anne Sacoolas extradited the other way

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
this man gave the world Trump.
Having any small contribution to this is pretty much good enough for me to join in
LOCK HIM UP
"I have had years of experience in dealing with Hillary Clinton and have read thousands of her cables. Hillary lacks judgment and will push the United States into endless, stupid wars which spread terrorism. ... she certainly should not become president of the United States."

The twat was thirsty for more headlines and attention so he went in for those sweet sweet Hillary email clicks.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, if only so the trial can happen. I actually think he'll be found not guilty, personally. Or the charges will be dropped soon after, but this way it can finally progress.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
He's a dickhead but he shouldn't be in prison for what they're charging him with. I mean it was the Trump admin itself that went after him.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
The united states and americans and the "american way" gave the world Trump, it's too easy to point a finger and throw away everything else.

Oh and by the way americans will give the world Trump again or something awfully similar soon enough.

nah WikiLeaks directly conspired to make Trump win. and they succeeded, and everything is fucked.

just for the fact that the fascist anti-human Trump Administration critically set back climate action i will hate this man until he dies. and then there's a thousand other reasons.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The united states and americans and the "american way" gave the world Trump, it's too easy to point a finger and throw away everything else.

Oh and by the way americans will give the world Trump again or something awfully similar soon enough.
You know, Boris and Priti aren't exactly blameless here either and are in my eyes equally dangerous. Maybe more so to Europe given their proximity and closer ties.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, did Julian Assange lie in his leaks?
Plenty of lies by omission, yes.

You can't market yourself as some kind of beacon of transparency while selectively withholding any leaks that involve Putin.

Assange spent a ton of his time aiding and abetting authoritarian regimes where journalists are disappeared.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what he is being accused for by the US, Assange deserves to be locked up for his crimes.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Nah that's not why he's in trouble. He leaked the Manning Iraq and Afghan war logs.

Plenty of lies by omission, yes.

You can't market yourself as some kind of beacon of transparency while selectively withholding any leaks that involve Putin.

I believe he leaked the names of active US spies, that's presumably what they'll get him gor legally

Ah okay, I can see anger at that then. I was not sure if people were mad because he leaked and it helped the bad guys, which would be almost the same as republicans being mad about the SCOTUS leaks to me. But it's a lot different if you say "hey we're bastions of truth" and then only leak things against one side + endanger active spies

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of what he is being accused for by the US, Assange deserves to be locked up for his crimes.

Journalists Publishing material from a whistle-blower has never before carried charges of espionage.

You do realise this now means any journalist in the world now will think twice about reporting war crimes carried out by the US government or use of torture even when it's US government officials providing the proof.

You can't have a democracy that calls for free press while at the same time locking up journalists for espionage when they reveal the crimes of the government.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
"I don't like him so his liberty doesn't matter" said the enlightened progressive. State terror, torture, war crimes... nah he helped get Trump elected!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't like him so his liberty doesn't matter" said the enlightened progressive. State terror, torture, war crimes... nah he helped get Trump elected!
People not giving a fuck about what happens to this man don't necessarily misunderstand what is happening.

P3ople just venting on a forum.

Also the "enlightened progressives" line is lol.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Priti Patel, but also Fuck Assange and Wikileaks.

Both can rot in my opinion, if we only get to see one rot then so be it!.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I can simultaneously be happy that a guy who fled to another country to avoid facing rape charges and who without question helped Donald Trump get elected because he's in tight with Putin and Russia is having a really bad time, and also be concerned about the wider implications of the deportation.

I'm doing it right now.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
He's a Russian puppet and he helped Trump get in power, he deserves to rot for this.

At the same time fuck Priti Patel, she's a vile hypocrite and a fucking ghoul.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Assange is a sexual abuser who blatantly doesn't give a shit about the truth, and who has propped up fascists, war criminals, and hate movements around the globe.

But him getting extradited has absolutely nothing to do with any of that, and everything to do with setting up a horrifying precedent.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Is Wikileaks press? No
Is Assange a journalist? Only in as much as he trolls on Twitter and enables white supremacy like many of them do.

Is this good? No
Because this will actually harm legitimate journalism.

Fuck him, but he shouldn't be extradited.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
He was doing the right shit by exposing the NSA spying apparatus through Edward Snowden. But his brain broke during 2016 and he became a full blown idiot.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this man gave the world Trump.

Julian Assange created a neoliberal culture in America where "business man" was seen as objectively superior to "government" now?

Remember, his extradition is entirely about exposing American coverups and war crimes in the middle east. This dude was seen as a hero exposing the double tap culture and how the US lied about killing journalists. Him coming here is giving the ghouls who called for him to be executed a decade ago justification and validation because their elusive goose has been grabbed.