• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Julian Assange created a neoliberal culture in America where "business man" was seen as objectively superior to "government" now?

Remember, his extradition is entirely about exposing American coverups and war crimes in the middle east. This dude was seen as a hero exposing the double tap culture and how the US lied about killing journalists. Him coming here is giving the ghouls who called for him to be executed a decade ago justification and validation because their elusive goose has been grabbed.
He didn't create the culture that made it a close election, but he helped tip that close election in Trump's favor.

He was 'seen as' a hero, but he never was. He did something good but clearly not out of any sense of altruism.

The extradition is wrong because of the precedent it sets, without question. UK journalism is in a dire place already, and this is only going to hurt it more. At least it won't hurt journalism in countries that aren't so desperate for a trade deal with the US as the Boris led UK are.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Did Ecuador kick him out of the embassy? If yes then it was obvious this would happen. The UK is not going to harbor someone the US wants extradited. It would still happen under a liberal government.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's as much a journalist as Elon Musk is a "free speech" advocate. Both just try to make autocracy happen.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
He's not some pillar of truth. He's a rapist, Russian asset, that selectively leaked certain things while simultaneously refusing to leak other things, with an intent to help Trump get elected. I wish his sexual assault victims could get justice, but they no longer can.

However it still sucks for the wider precedent that this could have on actual journalists.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling hard to muster up any sympathy for this facist rapist.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Not exactly a fan of this but not gonna shed a tear for someone that is effectively a front of russian intelligence.

Milfanito ~

Apr 1, 2022
I can't believe that some people here are in favour of his extradition. Unbelievable.
He supposedly supports Trump!!!, he's with the Russians!!!, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Bottom line I don't like him so I'm fine with what's happening to him and I won't shed a tear. A serious attack on freedom of the press. Then we complain about the shitty world we live in.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
And they got Al Capone for income tax evasion.

Doesn't feel 100% just, but I'll shed no tears over this. His intentions were never, ever good faith.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I can't believe that some people here are in favour of his extradition. Unbelievable.
He supposedly supports Trump!!!, he's with the Russians!!!, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Bottom line I don't like him so I'm fine with what's happening to him and I won't shed a tear. A serious attack on freedom of the press. Then we complain about the shitty world we live in.

🙄

Boy that's a lot of etcs there. Considering each one of them was a vile and/or evil action, you still want us to shed a tear 😢?

This the great hill you want to die on?

Save your sympathy for the billions of people who deserve it more and save your sanctimonious accusations for when you're in a jury. We're here in forums and we will have this small deserved fucking Schadenfreude.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Am I supposed to feel bad for anyone who tries to claim the moniker of journalist but does awful things to undermine democracy?

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
way too many peoples worldview starts and ends at "america bad", which is why we get people defending a russian asset and their state sponsored "media outlet"

Claude Kenni

Oct 25, 2017
Assange likely facing life in prison in a country he's not from or living in for publishing damaging albeit classified information doesn't seem like a win to me even if I don't like him and detest many of his actions.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
way too many peoples worldview starts and ends at "america bad", which is why we get people defending a russian asset and their state sponsored "media outlet"

Sorry but he and Manning uncovered legitimate war crimes committed by the United States. Nobody denies they happened and nobody in the United States ever faced any consequence over this (except Manning of course).

Prosecuting him for that is unfrankly unconscionable.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hey remember when wikileaks dumped the SSNs, email addresses, phone numbers, and addresses of DNC members and donors in their "Hillary Leaks" series? In a nice searchable format no less?

They're not journalists. Their version of the press is just leaking oppo research against one political party. They're the populist arm of propaganda for an egomaniac sexual assaulter. Their occasional "broken clock" leaks are just them doing the right thing for an anti-democrat agenda driven reason.

I'm a strong believer in whistleblower protections, but wikileaks doesn't deserve those protections, and for sure neither does Assange.

Too many threads lately are happy to downplay the actions of some pretty bad parties as long as it makes the US look worse by comparison.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Is Wikileaks press? No
Is Assange a journalist? Only in as much as he trolls on Twitter and enables white supremacy like many of them do.

Is this good? No
Because this will actually harm legitimate journalism.

Fuck him, but he shouldn't be extradited.
Pretty much this, this is bigger than Julian Assange.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People neatly sidestepping heinous fact after heinous fact of Assange's existence to write people off as simply "not liking" this turd are doing some S tier gaslighting.

Really gross.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Like Farewell before him, dude being a spy that air out dirty laundry doesn't make the country hidding the laundry clean or the spy a journalist somehow.
A spy trying to pass off as a journalist is extra gross and the press being so uncritical of this operation for so long is super duper extra gross as well.
So hungry for meat to show how bad the US is that it will accept anything by anyone.

Like when Farewell got got by the country he was exposing, shit ain't gonna look pretty when they're done with him.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People neatly sidestepping heinous fact after heinous fact of Assange's existence to write people off as simply "not liking" this turd are doing some S tier gaslighting.

Really gross.
Yeah, he's a terrible human being and whatever "good" he might've done has been eclipsed 10 fold by the rest of his actions.

Apr 25, 2020
Another person the Left are just going to watch disappear into a black bag without a blink because they don't "like" them

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
well-bye.gif

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. America was thinking up ways to assassinate him. UK can be leaned on extremely easy to do what we want.

Assange revealed too much about how the sausage is made in the state department, an intimidation racket drenched in blood.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't someone please think of this poor staunch defender of authoritarianism.

Calling this asshole a journalist is really rich too. The takes here... lol

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people are arguing he wasn't extradited for political reasons. Assange isn't an American citizen. He's in the UK bring charged for publishing things on the internet that exposed US War Crimes, skullduggery, and diplomatic shakedowns. If the United States wasn't putting pressure on this, there would be no reason to do this.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Won't someone please think of this poor staunch defender of authoritarianism.

Calling this asshole a journalist is really rich too. The takes here... lol

He's an asshole and he and Wikileaks have gone really far off the the deep end but the things that got him in this mess in the first place were as far as I know still legit journalism?

It's pretty obvious that at some point Russia got to him/wikileaks or he just started believing in their bs on his own (wikileaks outright tweeted Russian propaganda about MH17 geez and I'm sure there's more examples) but that's not why he's being sent to the US.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
awful, fucking trash the U.S can extradite practically anyone they want from any where in the world

some dumb ass fucking posters in this thread can't see past their ass to know that this is a bad. i mean U.S even tried to assassinate him in another country

americans don't even hear about stories like how the CIA kidnapped a german man that was muslim and tortured and raped him in a CIA blacksite because they misidentified him for a terrorist they were looking for

gary browser also gets sued by nintendo and is canadian and gets extradited to the fucking U.S to have his life fucked over more

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
Seems to me that Assange living in hiding in an embassy for a decade is evidence that whatever precedent people are afraid of has already been set.