Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the camera movement is awesome in that film too. Part of the reason it looks so good, because its so well thought out.
example:
https://twitter.com/vashikoo/status/1010663126180642817
Spielberg loves doing this. One-take shots that move elegantly between different framing. Every Frame A Painting did a great video on it

munichspielbergshotqtenc.gif

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's some very clever directing to hide the T-Rex's footsteps, since they would look weightless with the tech at the time. Genius.

The scene I highlighted earlier. The way it seamlessly moves from the massive animatronic to panning down to hide the shift into CGI of the Rex walking. perfectly demonstrates how Spielberg cleverly framed and used both kinds of effects to complement each other in service of making a single tangible realistic creation onscreen
HdPoShu.gif

Amazing

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This shot of Striker Eureka in the daytime always looked great to me. It isn't over processed or anything.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rewatched it on Netflix today. Arnold suggests letting the dinos die off from lysine or whatever instead of shutting down the power, but Hammond yells that people are dying and need to act now. But Grant and the kids make it back to the visitors center without any help from the security systems, and Arnold and Muldoon die getting them back up. Obviously Hammond couldn't have known that would be the outcome.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think that the CGI at night and in dark locations still holds up really well but the stuff in the broad daylight does show its age now. Bear in mind though that JP was far ahead of anything else at the time in terms of CGI.

The problem is that it's so prevalent now that it's a case of 'shoot it quickly and we'll fix it in post'. At the time of JP that wasn't a choice, CG took so long to do that you couldn't spend time tweaking everything, you had to be pretty certain you did everything right on set. Plus don't forget that their was only 6 minutes of dinosaur CG in the first film so there wasn't the same amount for people to be able to pick through.

The couple of bits I was really impressed with, which I found out after a few years was that when the kids were in the car getting crushed by the T-rex they were actually composited in there afterwards and also the head replacement when Lex fell through the air vent.