• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Time to stimulate some discussion and trigger this thread

Colin Trevorrow

Feathers

TLW>JP3

I bet Fallen Kingdom is the best sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Lego Jurassic World was excellent but one of my favourite things is how how it presents the site of the T-rex attack on the explorers from the first film.

Old Rexy smashes through the fence at the same level as the vehicles but later pushes the kids' explorer back over the destroyed fence which is well above the tree canopy.

In the game, they've set up the area so you can see where Rexy charged through but that the fence is also damaged at a different position above the cliff edge. I really liked that touch, and it showed an attention to detail from the level designers that showed they obviously watched and cared for the film.

I think I said it in the old thread, but the Lego version of The Lost World is my preferred telling of the story, ahead of the film and ahead of Crichton's second book.

Oct 25, 2017

Colin Trevorrow

Feathers

TLW>JP3

Colin Trevorrow was fine. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt for Episode IX, but am fully confident in Abrams. I liked Safety not Guaranteed and want to see him make another good film some day.

Don't care about the feather situation. They could have gone feathers for JW if they wanted to, but that wasn't the point of the film. I used to be a vertebrate palaeontologist (Australian Megafauna from the Pliocene and Pleistocene) and there is clear fossil evidence for a large number of beloved dinosaurs being feather covered, but I can suspend my disbelief for a Hollywood monster movie franchise.

The Lost World has a phenomenal score, some inspired moments of direction from Spielberg and feels like a proper film, even if it is visually and tonally dark without a single likable character (Malcolm wasn't Malcolm) but at least it didn't feel like a straight to VHS cash in like JP3.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm really interested to see what Colin Trevorrow does next. I'd like to see him tackle something of his own creation, rather than an existing IP.

Gimme feathers.

TLW OST absolutely needs representation in Fallen Kingdom.

In other news, I completely revamped the OP. The original is still hidden within a spoiler tag at the bottom though!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So I was gonna finally watch Jurassic World again tonight, but Jurassic Park is on TV so I guess not! lol

Colin Trevorrow

Feathers

TLW>JP3

I know this is mostly a joke, but man, I wrote so much on my feelings of Trevorrow of GAF, I don't know if I want to re-do it all here, haha.

Team pro-feathers, with a heavy lean into existing canon for justification and reasoning, and the continued existence of OG non-feathered versions.

That's just an accurate statement.

Indoraptor is a terrible name.

Yes, it may very well be At least second best.

I'm really interested to see what Colin Trevorrow does next. I'd like to see him tackle something of his own creation, rather than an existing IP.

Gimme feathers.

TLW OST absolutely needs representation in Fallen Kingdom.

In other news, I completely revamped the OP. The original is still hidden within a spoiler tag at the bottom though!
I mean, there's always The Book of Henry! wah wah (yes, I know he didn't write it, but he definitely looked at the script and went "this is fine.jpg")

TLW score callbacks would be great, and remixes of stuff like the main theme would be excellent for the premise. Repurpose some of it for Ian's segments if possible too.

And I told you man, you gotta flip the spoiler use!

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, ya'll have someone named LastNac wondering "what the plan is" in the old thread. I sent them a PM indicating where the community moved to. So if someone knows them or can reach out to them with an invite to your discord, I think that should be fine until they could join right?

E9L9Cup.png

Oct 25, 2017
I've been checking out new posts in the old place, thinking that there might still be activity but then realise that there are hours if not days between posts.

I watched Thor Ragnarok last night. Goldblum was delightful, but oh boy is he showing his years. Wonder what his character will be like in Fallen Kingdom but I think it's going to be not much more than a cameo.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, ya'll have someone named LastNac wondering "what the plan is" in the old thread. I sent them a PM indicating where the community moved to. So if someone knows them or can reach out to them with an invite to your discord, I think that should be fine until they could join right?
I just clicked on that thread out of curiosity and burst out laughing when I saw his post. Like the last person alive on Earth, wondering to himself what happens next.

Btw NHL-GAF/Era loves JurassicERA. When you guys won the lottery, we spent a good 10 minutes or so on Discord discussing and theorizing exactly what this community was.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hey all - if anyone here wants into the Jurassic discord, just DM me or Jawmuncher!

I just clicked on that thread out of curiosity and burst out laughing when I saw his post. Like the last person alive on Earth, wondering to himself what happens next.

Btw NHL-GAF/Era loves JurassicERA. When you guys won the lottery, we spent a good 10 minutes or so on Discord discussing and theorizing exactly what this community was.

Lmao, I figured most people would be like 'wtf?'

I mean - Jurassic Park makes sense, but we aren't the most active community, and never were moved to the community section. I literally laughed out loud when our little group was #2 on the list.

I've been checking out new posts in the old place, thinking that there might still be activity but then realise that there are hours if not days between posts.

I watched Thor Ragnarok last night. Goldblum was delightful, but oh boy is he showing his years. Wonder what his character will be like in Fallen Kingdom but I think it's going to be not much more than a cameo.

I shot him a DM - but I am wary about sending discord links there directly, as I heard people were getting banned from it. We'll get him this way, somehow.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I look forward to it next week! Got my tickets in advanced for good seats, and heard nothing but good things. Haven't seen Goldblum in a movie for a while (skipped Independence Day...)

It's nice that we at least have JW2 coming out next year, since the movie selection... doesn't look too great :/

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As for Goldblum's role, back in 2016 I heard it was pretty substantial in size, but it does seem to be downsized.

He filmed only for a week at Pinewood Studios in London, and never went to Hawaii. But I do hear the week he filmed was structured all around him, so they may have gotten more than we expect? I dunno.

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to it next week! Got my tickets in advanced for good seats, and heard nothing but good things. Haven't seen Goldblum in a movie for a while (skipped Independence Day...)

It's nice that we at least have JW2 coming out next year, since the movie selection... doesn't look too great :/
It's an excellent use of Goldblum - Enjoy the film!

Oct 25, 2017
Well some films only need a pinch of Goldblum for the experience to be enhanced yet Thor Ragnarok has a whole tablespoon.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that was hilarious. Some people joked that it was a community of senior citizen GAF users who were taking the piss using the title of JurassicGAF.

How I felt when I saw the old thread on the first page and went in to investigate.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Colin Trevorrow

Feathers

TLW>JP3

I was not happy with the majority of Jurassic World and so I'm happy that they have a different director on the next one to sort of assess and filter his ideas. I know he's a writer on the project but as long as someone else is in charge to guide the project, I'm more optimistic. A lot of the ideas in JW were good starting points, but they needed a lot more development and an entirely different tone.
So far the blurbs I've heard about the new film have been very encouraging. I think the new captain of the ship is very aware of where World went wrong.

Didn't they already address in the last film that these were theme park monsters and not necessarily a true rebirth of dinosaurs? So lack of feathers is a non-issue to me. However if they wanted to start introducing some feathered friends, I wouldn't be upset. Totally fine. Just dont mess with the already established designs too much, I'm already too attached to them as they are.

TLW>>>JP3. ALAN.

Lmao, I figured most people would be like 'wtf?'

I mean - Jurassic Park makes sense, but we aren't the most active community, and never were moved to the community section. I literally laughed out loud when our little group was #2 on the list.

I was really lucky to get in with you nice folk. I always lurked Jurassic Gaf but I didn't post all that much, but as I lurked I saw the discord invite and it became my home for a few days while everything got shook up.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
JP3 is a guilty pleasure. The story is dumb (I hate the Kirby's) but it's short run time and plenty of dino action have me forgiving a lot.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I never understood that scene. It was already uncovered to begin with. Also, it's making fun of the fact that Velociraptor is from Mongolia, not Montana.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Jurassic Park's raptors are literally renamed Deinonychus, which did live in Montana. Crichton did tons of research on Deinonychus, including a ton of back-and-forth with the foremost expert on the species. He just used the Velociraptor name because it was more dramatic sounding. He half-justified it in-fiction with a contemporary real-world argument that Deinonychus should be classified as a species of raptor, but not very many people ever agreed with that one and regardless, Crichton kept the V. mongoliensis designation.

I believe Spielberg et. al considered using the proper name, but kept it for the same reason as Crichton.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
No, it was called Velociraptor because Crichton used a book with poor taxonomy as reference. The author, Gregory S Paul is notorious for lumping taxons together for no scientific reasons. Crichton used his book as reference, thus the screwed up name. Greg still does that to this very day.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
No, it was called Velociraptor because Crichton used a book with poor taxonomy as reference. The author, Gregory S Paul is notorious for lumping taxons together for no scientific reasons. Crichton used his book as reference, thus the screwed up name. Greg still does that to this very day.
I actually edited in a reference to that, but no, he only used that as some semblance of justification for the decision after the fact, not the initial reasoning. Like I said, he even still went with V. mongoliensis even though Deinonychus would have still had its own if re-classified as a species of raptor.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Welln "Velociraptorc is MUCH easier to spell/market. Not this "die-non-eh-cuss" nonsense :p (When I was young and didn't understand those pronounciation guides, I called them "deh-no-nee-soo-chus" for a while).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So I read that the raptors in the film are far bigger than they should be. So are the size of Utah Raptors then?

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
The Jurassic thread on GAF was my favorite, glad I can follow you guys here. Ill have to post some updated Collection pictures on here soon.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Jeff Goldblum breaks our hearts and has confirmed his Fallen Kingdom role is small.

=(

Yeah that was hilarious. Some people joked that it was a community of senior citizen GAF users who were taking the piss using the title of JurassicGAF.

How I felt when I saw the old thread on the first page and went in to investigate.

giphy.gif

Now that would have been a twist.

I was really lucky to get in with you nice folk. I always lurked Jurassic Gaf but I didn't post all that much, but as I lurked I saw the discord invite and it became my home for a few days while everything got shook up.

Glad to have you along for the ride!

Still sad that we got a Carnotaur... cameo.

Ceratosaurus was the dino in JP3.

Carnotaurus still has a chance.

Has this been posted yet?

8vv4xBH.jpg

That still bugs me to this day - I can handle the InGen dinosaurs being different, but that was a needless error.

Not as bad as Kellys Gymnastic kill though.

Worst scene in the franchise for sure.

+

The Jurassic thread on GAF was my favorite, glad I can follow you guys here. Ill have to post some updated Collection pictures on here soon.

Glad you all made it!

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that the book raptors were much closer to Velociraptor mongoliensis, given Crichton's description of their size, and that the Deinonychus/Utahraptor-like representation in the film was an artistic license knowingly taken by Spielberg and inspired by the concept of Crash McCreery.

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to consider in the feather debate is not only how they would look with a bunch of feathers glued on, but with fat and muscles and cartilage, too!

I'm sure many of you have already seen the "if modern animal skeletons were drawn like dinosaurs with skin draped over their bones." Which is basically shit.
Like this Rhino.
mvtHieRm.jpg

Most of those edges and pockets and angles were probably filled with muscle and fat.
So imagine your favorite dinosaur, now imagine it loves milkshakes, then put feathers on it.

Probably more like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's weird -- I used to be obsessed with Carnotaurus. But now I couldn't care less if it was added to a Jurassic film. I think it's because part of me will always want the TLW novel depiction, but the Indominus stole the best part of it, and underutilized them.

Maybe if I saw one on screen I would get excited in spite of myself.

Pachyrhinosaurus is where it's all at for me now.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still on team Baryonyx! And for funsies, just stick a Dimetrodon in there for the heck of it. I still have my old toy of one, and the collector card art made me wish there was one in the movie. I've said it once and I'll say it again - I wish those collector card artworks were made into a tv show/cartoon, with adventures of the group stuck there and surviving for a while... I guess that was the premise of the canned cartoon, though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird -- I used to be obsessed with Carnotaurus. But now I couldn't care less if it was added to a Jurassic film. I think it's because part of me will always want the TLW novel depiction, but the Indominus stole the best part of it, and underutilized them.

You know, that is my biggest disappointment of the film. The moments in TLW with the chain link fence were awesome, and the discovery that other dinos actively avoided that part of the island at night.

The Indominus' camouflage was poorly explained and executed and didn't really add much to the threat it posed. I was looking forward to seeing the camo effect in TLW, then JP3 and I don't think they honoured it properly in JW.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
There's a lot of parts of the TLW novel that I keep wishing would show up in films. In addition to an underwhelming use of the camo talked about already, another one that showed up in Jurassic World in a disappointing manner was the raptor/motorcycle chase. I wanted that so badly, and the finally do it, during the part of the movie where the raptors are the good guys. :(

Also, the story arc about wild raptors being shitty parents because they were so smart they relied on learning rather than instincts and were never taught to raise young would be cool on screen, but JPIII thoroughly nuked that one. And the thing about all of the dinosaurs dying young, but the TLW movie itself actually ruled that one out.

So I read that the raptors in the film are far bigger than they should be. So are the size of Utah Raptors then?
They're basically big Deinonychus (on the upper end, but within their known size range), which is somewhere between the Velociraptor and Utahraptor, and is more closely related to the latter. Utahraptor actually wasn't formally described until after the movie was made.

Worst scene in the franchise for sure.
Does the deleted shit scene from Jurassic World count?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never expected Ian to have a big role in the movie, but I see some people comparing it to Hammond's in TLW but it own't be that small either, especially with how much press this news got. I'm guessing it'll be a similar role to Sattler in Jurassic Park ///.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a reason why they didn't have Hammond eaten by those little dinosaurs like in the first book? Plus having read the books after seeing the films, it sucked just how much they changed some of the characters. The hunter dude doesn't die and is a badass (that grenade launcher though, ummf), the lawyer dude was fit and strong and never died, and the age of the siblings were changed. The Lost World is mega different as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So is there a reason why they didn't have Hammond eaten by those little dinosaurs like in the first book? Plus having read the books after seeing the films, it sucked just how much they changed some of the characters. The hunter dude doesn't die and is a badass (that grenade launcher though, ummf), the lawyer dude was fit and strong and never died, and the age of the siblings were changed. The Lost World is mega different as well.
Hammond was reworked in part to better represent the intent of the movie. They made he more genuine and his showmanship more heartfelt, with his flea circus monologue almost being a metaphor for the soul of the movie.

Gennaro simultaneously was the result of some of Regis's character traits being merged in after he was cut, and the general attitude towards lawyers in the 90's.

Other characters were altered or minimized due to story changes made for time. Wu had significantly reduced screen time because the breeding arc was heavily cut down. etc..

I think Lost World is a case of Spielberg coming up with a lot of ideas before the novel was even written, and some cascading changes from the first movie. And I don't believe Crichton was involved with the script.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone see the video about the original ending for the movie? I couldn't find the video anymore. Basically, it's similar to the original, except once the T.rex kills the Raptors, he chases after the vehicle. I think the vehicle breaks down, and they forced to flee on foot to the helicopter. The T.rex tries to grab the helicopter, but barely misses. Then they finally escape. Hammond also stays behind.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I definately prefer Spielberg's happy-grandpa-Walt Disney Hammond, to the one in the book that was a dick.