• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Every pop group has a formula. Thebidea that having a rapper or powrr vocal demands a particular formula compared to literslly anh other group just sounds dumb, cause it is.

Cause they all do.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Every pop group has a formula. Thebidea that having a rapper or powrr vocal demands a particular formula compared to literslly anh other group just sounds dumb, cause it is.

Cause they all do.
That's true. I guess I just notice it more with groups like EXID. I'm not the first person to say that.

But yeah, all pop music has formulas, but some are just more noticeable. Like Teddy and his drops and anthems. And while the other groups rely on them too, they kinda switch it up more often and have more freedom if they don't have someone like say, LE in their group.

Anyway, I'm not dissing anyone. It's all love. I'm merely talking about what I enjoy. Like always--I'll give everything a fair chance 😊

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
See, I fundamentally disagree with that assessment. I think no gorup has any particular freedom without a dedicated rapper or not.

Just about every Red Velvet song is ABABCB. Whether it's a dance track or a ballad or an R&B song.

And it's not like rappers are expected to be one particular place.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just saw it's July 1st. Huh thought it was this week. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Sunrise. Anyone else like it? Didn't see much discussion about it

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone went with the 90s/2000s throwback with their comeback lol. I like Idle's song more than Senorita tbh. Good song to listen to, but not that memorable.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Well that song doesn't follow the forumla I was talking about yesterday, but it's still lacking. I like the scratching. Everything else is just so forgettable.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dig it. The pre-chorus could be a little shorter, but I enjoyed the song overall. Beat and MV gave me a 90s vibe. The rap section was fire.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's me but I always get the impression all new songs are bad when reading this thread
I think people are more likely to write about something they don't like, so that's why it has more pressence in general.

This song does nothing for me, but I'm not the biggest G-idle fan anyway.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's me but I always get the impression all new songs are bad when reading this thread
Haha. I can see why you'd get that impression. I feel like we're more critical than the average K-pop fans you'll find on sites like Reddit or Onehallyu. Some fans give their faves a pass for obvious reasons. But for me it's really all about the music, and even if I love the group, if the song is boring I'll say it. That's why I can't even remember that last Oh My Girl single 😭

Anyway, I like Red Velvet's new song and Somi's. Chungha's not so much.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Haha. I can see why you'd get that impression. I feel like we're more critical than the average K-pop fans you'll find on sites like Reddit or Onehallyu. Some fans give their faves a pass for obvious reasons. But for me it's really all about the music, and even if I love the group, if the song is boring I'll say it. That's why I can't even remember that last Oh My Girl single 😭

Anyway, I like Red Velvet's new song and Somi's. Chungha's not so much.

No problem, I get that and didn't really mean it as a criticism of the community, just my thoughts.

Going back on topic, I dig the (G)I-DLE song

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I expected a bit more out of Uh Oh. It's solid, and I like the 90s sound, it's fresh, and proves they're daring to try new stuff instead of sticking to a particular sound. But the song is a bit lacking still. I'll enjoy listening to it though, it might grow one me.

I feel like we're more critical than the average K-pop fans you'll find on sites like Reddit or Onehallyu. Some fans give their faves a pass for obvious reasons.

The upvote/neg system on OneHallyu makes it easy for very hardcore/sensitive fans to go wild there (in a neg-happy way), so it's not THAT welcoming to criticism (constructive or otherwise, but I'm mainly talking about the constructive type). I know I never back down from voicing criticism if I have something to say, either here, or on OneHallyu/HallyuPlus (OH's little sis since OH's dead for now, RIP), and I know I have received negs for making just the tamest constructive criticism, but that's not really my problem anyway, I don't really care. If my criticism is done in a respectful way (which it is), I don't see why it shouldn't be voiced. Some fans are really just very protective of their faves, but in an extreme way that isn't quite healthy to deal with at times.

And similarly, I'm in Kpop for the music, mainly, which is why even though I can like artists and enjoy them, I will not back down from criticizing their music if I feel it's deserved. I enjoy and love a lot of Kpop artists, me liking their songs is in no way related to me liking them specifically, it's okay if they don't always bring their A game, like, that's not gonna stop me from enjoying their best tracks and enjoy their existence in many other ways.

Last edited:

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man 2019 is just not GIDLE's year for me. This song isn't bad per se, but quite forgettable.

With that tho, I have my top 10 singles and top 10 B sides almost ready for the first half of the year.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, with half of this year gone, it's time for some top 10 lists lol (just for fun). I'm about to get on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea of course just for fun. I don't spend weeks agonizing over placement or re-listening to songs and changing their orders constantly and never feeling truly satisfied with my lists or anything. Haha...

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Where's Itzy's comeback? We've had groups releasing two comebacks since and nothing about them after DALLA DALLA.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to Snapping and Birthday more and I think I'm starting to like them

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate name aside (and video quality), this is a great debut.

Surprisingly good choreo coming from nugus too

Oct 27, 2017
Well I may as well kick this first half of 2019 list thing off (Single version):

10. Itzy - Dalla Dalla
9. Twice - Fancy
8. Blackpink - Kill This Love
7. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat
6. Gfriend - Sunrise
5. Chung Ha - Gotta Go
4. Taeyeon - Four Seasons
3. CLC - Me
2. CLC - No
1. Loona - Butterfly

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Here's 25 bops. None of that slow shit. Y'all should know how basic I am by now 😂

-------------------

25. DALsooobin - Ketchup
24. Tiffany Young - Lips on Lips
23. Giant Pink - Mirror Mirror
22. Nature - Dream About U
21. DreamNote - Hakuna Matata
20. GWSN - Pinky Run
19. Cherry Bullet - Q&A
18. Somi - Birthday
17. CLC - No
16. ITZY - Dalla Dalla
15. WJSN - Boogie Up
14. Saturday - WiFi
13. Fromis_9 - FUN!
12. LOONA - Butterfly
11. Twice - Fancy
10. R.Tee X Anda - What You Waiting For
9. IZ*One - Suki to Iwasetai
8. Apink - Eung Eung
7. Weki Meki - Picky Picky
6. DIA - Woowa
------------------------
5. Neon Punch - Tic Toc

This legit has one of the best choruses on the year, and the video has like 250k views. Shame on all of you!

4. Sunmi - Noir

Probably my favorite video of the year. Song is great too.

3. Hwasa - Twit

Just a great earworm. Plus it gave us this amazing stage:

2. Chung Ha - Gotta Go

Snapping Gotta Go, it never stood a chance against its nearly flawless predecessor.

1. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat

Be honest--you saw this coming! I dedicate this to all the autotune haters! 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.