• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oof, just lost progress on several stages because I forgot to save. Manual save only in 2018 is hard to get used to.

strongsauce

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to restart a level does it make you go back to the planet select level screen (original design) or does it include the option to just straight up restart the level (ala we <3 katamari)?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If you're on PC, you can really crank the settings up in nvcp to clean it up and it doesn't break a sweat, even at 4K for me

13421f1c-5b01-40d5-9n2f3c.jpeg

Also, DS4 works great

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on PC, you can really crank the settings up in nvcp to clean it up and it doesn't break a sweat, even at 4K for me

13421f1c-5b01-40d5-9n2f3c.jpeg

Also, DS4 works great
For what it's worth, you need to match the anti-aliasing and transparency settings for it to work correctly. You won't get proper sampling otherwise.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Got this for Switch today, and majorly loving it. The control scheme does feel a little weird to me since it's been YEARS since I've played a Katamari game, but I think I'm readjusting to it. I honestly hope that We <3 Katamari gets a remaster; digital or physical, I'd totally purchase it.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like how it's default so incredibly loud. My sound was at 5% and it was blasting. Other than that though, good times.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I sat and played through the whole thing last night on PC. Always wanted to play katamari but never had a chance, it's amazing.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how easy it could be to mod back in the English voice acting into the PC version for the Hoshino cutscenes. If they're stored as separate files in a Unity asset package, maybe it could be as simple as re-inserting them somehow. If it's (more likely) part of the CRIWARE video files, you could theoretically extract the separate audio and video streams and re-mux them. I'm not sure how feasible either would be; these are just some cursory observations and I'm really inept about the subject of modding for Unity and/or CRIWARE stuff otherwise, I haven't taken a look at the Unity assets or video files myself personally.

The omission of English voice acting isn't the end of the world but I just find it rather disappointing. Presumably it either had to do with royalties or the fact that Bandai Namco found the quality retrospectively unsatisfactory.

I think the fact of the matter is that the English voices possibly suffered from not-great voice direction as a consequence of the voice acting being recorded in Japan through whatever expats they could happen to pick up. This is a common thing for many Japanese games, and Namco did it for several of their games back in the day. Another infamous Namco example from around the same time would be the first Baten Kaitos. It still happens today, even—Pokkén's English acting was notoriously bad and recorded in Japan (another Bandai Namco joint, maybe not a coincidence!). I think Earth Defense Force 5 might be the same way (I haven't confirmed personally) but I digress.

Late edit: A comparison of Baten Kaitos and Katamari's credits tells me both were recorded through a company called Art Quest if anyone's curious. Seemingly a frequent if not erstwhile collaborator with Bandai Namco and incidentally were involved with other things such as F-Zero GX & Metal Wolf Chaos (both English VO only).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok i just finished the main levels, imma be pretentious for a second and say that this game is just transcendent.
i'll play a bit of this smash game to see what all the talk is about and then come back and do the constellation challenges.

I wonder how easy it could be to mod back in the English voice acting into the PC version for the Hoshino cutscenes. If they're stored as separate files in a Unity asset package, maybe it could be as simple as re-inserting them somehow. If it's (more likely) part of the CRIWARE video files, you could theoretically extract the separate audio and video streams and re-mux them. I'm not sure how feasible either would be; these are just some cursory observations and I'm really inept about the subject of modding for Unity and/or CRIWARE stuff otherwise, I haven't taken a look at the Unity assets or video files myself personally.

The omission of English voice acting isn't the end of the world but I just find it rather disappointing. Presumably it either had to do with royalties or the fact that Bandai Namco found the quality retrospectively unsatisfactory.

I think the fact of the matter is that the English voices possibly suffered from not-great voice direction as a consequence of the voice acting being recorded in Japan through whatever expats they could happen to pick up. This is a common thing for many Japanese games, and Namco did it for several of their games back in the day. Another infamous Namco example from around the same time would be the first Baten Kaitos. It still happens today, even—Pokkén's English acting was notoriously bad and recorded in Japan (another Bandai Namco joint, maybe not a coincidence!). I think Earth Defense Force 5 might be the same way (I haven't confirmed personally) but I digress.

Late edit: A comparison of Baten Kaitos and Katamari's credits tells me both were recorded through a company called Art Quest if anyone's curious. Seemingly a frequent if not erstwhile collaborator with Bandai Namco and incidentally were involved with other things such as F-Zero GX & Metal Wolf Chaos (both English VO only).
it's a shame the english voice acting was cut, i think it's pretty good. but there's really not a lot, you can listen to all of it in these three videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv5lxb0DW6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJXFhq8nH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNJX3tMk4s

So how are the motion controls? Has no one tried them?
i don't know if there's something wrong with my joycons (i don't think there is) but the motion controls just don't work for me. the katamari just keeps rolling backwards no matter how i move the joycons. if i waggle them randomly i can get it to dash or turn but i can't make sense of the motion controls AT ALL.

Last edited:

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Any way to play this effectively in handheld mode, I'm having some issues with the camera but I'm still getting levels done but the rotation of the camera in handheld is a struggle. I did play with the joycons detached with the game in tabletop mode but I've always been a handheld guy but I'll be willing to play joycon detached if it's better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any way to play this effectively in handheld mode, I'm having some issues with the camera but I'm still getting levels done but the rotation of the camera in handheld is a struggle. I did play with the joycons detached with the game in tabletop mode but I've always been a handheld guy but I'll be willing to play joycon detached if it's better.
i just finished the game in handheld mode, using the original controls. the camera is just wonky, you'll get used to it.
are you playing using the original controls or the simple controls?

Freezard

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never played this before. Just downloaded the demo. The controls and camera seem....really bad? Took me like 30 seconds to realize how to even move the ball and now I'm awkwardly moving around the area and it feels really rigid?

Like what am I doing wrong here? Lol.

I'm in the same boat. Never played the games before and I find the controls and camera absolutely terrible. Also the fact that the game started in low-res window mode and that I had to mute the sound until I finished the tutorial and could access settings, plus manual saving. If only the game had simple Super Monkey Ball controls it would have been another story, but I can't see myself playing this for much longer.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Brings back good memories (of paying 25 dollars for it on Amazon, btw...) but also reminds me why I've been playing <3 and Forever for years upon years. Good bones for (most) of the titles that came after. I really hope Namco releases more of the games so a new audience can see how amazing this shit is.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The only really great Katamari games are We <3 Katamari and the first game. The level design and game structure isn't there for the later titles, and it needs to be a fully Keita Takahashi game.

Agreed completely. It's not just the level design and structure for me either. It's the whole package from even the between level segments and all the odds and ends that gives a more complete feeling in the first two games. Sure I enjoyed the later ones but they never felt like the complete experience that the first two did, and at times felt more like they were trying to hard to "get" what made them great.

But maybe I'm overthinking a series of games about rolling things up in a giant ball.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I swapped to simple, had trouble turning with the default controls
i suggest changing back to original controls. they're a little hard to get used to, but once you do they feel very natural, and plus you don't have to worry about camera, you just roll the katamari and the camera does it's own [not so perfect] job. i hear the simple controls are just horrible (haven't tried them yet).

Agreed completely. It's not just the level design and structure for me either. It's the whole package from even the between level segments and all the odds and ends that gives a more complete feeling in the first two games. Sure I enjoyed the later ones but they never felt like the complete experience that the first two did, and at times felt more like they were trying to hard to "get" what made them great.

But maybe I'm overthinking a series of games about rolling things up in a giant ball.
i don't think you're overthinking at all. yeah the games are about rolling balls, but what elevates them from a basic game to a memorable experience is takahashi's touch. the style, the humor, the dialog, the characters, those all help the game become this amazing cohesive package. seems like after he left bamco just tried to come up with bs "wacky" stories and stuff just to make sequels. i'm sure they play fine, but like anything you love, it's easy to not care about a continuation when the original creator isn't involved.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any extras over the first game? New endless modes, etc?

Stuck waiting for the jp release.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feeling the noticable input lag on the Switch version? Even on my TN gaming monitor which I don't feel any from normally.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I hope to god someone fixes this
You can limit framerate down to make everything 30 - but don't expect anyone fixing the simulation framerate, that's obviously something that was never designed to run differently.

Like what am I doing wrong here? Lol.
If you're trying to control it like every other game, you're doing it wrong. I've seen lots of people intuitively do the exact opposite of what tutorial teaches and get confused by controls not responding in kind. One of the key things is to USE the momentum rather than try fighting it, and that does take a fair bit of practice to get good at. The fact you have to coordinate both hands also trips some people when using sticks - it may actually be easier to use button-based mappings (on PC it's easy to do so), as it's easier to control keeping direction etc. that way.
I'm speaking only in reference to original controls though - never tried 'simple' so I have no idea what that behaves like.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
I never played the original Katamari, only the sequel on xbox 360. Can you create a ball with planets or are you limited to smaller size in this version ?

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there was a miscommunication in regards to pricing, a few sites seem to think the price of the game is $19.99.

Doublemintgum

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if this is a limited release? The game is sold out in Canada and I am wondering if it will be restocked or if I should go ahead and buy a copy from the US.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I turned on the demo to this game after playing Smash Ultimate for a while and HOLY FUCK IT IS LOUD. Please, developers, have a goddamn loudness standard PLEASE!

Graphically, it's fine, and plays just like the original as far as I can tell. It seems like game logic is tied to frame rate, so it's too bad we didn't get a FPS boost, but it's still fine. I just don't like how loud it is.

Last edited:

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like someone actually did make a mod to replace the Japanese cutscene voiceover with the English voiceover for the PC version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586689748/

As I'd theorized earlier this was apparently done by more or less remuxing Reroll's high-quality cutscene videos with the PS2 English audio tracks, judging by the files, so it's a somewhat hefty download. I haven't tried it myself though (yet).

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two days after launch and there's only 2 pc reviews and 0 switch reviews. bamco gives zero shits about this game.

Looks like someone actually did make a mod to replace the Japanese cutscene voiceover with the English voiceover for the PC version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586689748/

As I'd theorized earlier this was apparently done by more or less remuxing Reroll's high-quality cutscene videos with the PS2 English audio tracks, judging by the files, so it's a somewhat hefty download. I haven't tried it myself though (yet).
oh wow, that was quick. and seems like it was easy to do, just replace some files.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Played the first 4 or 5 levels last night, still super fun. There's still nothing better than rolling up a huge stack of stuff that used to be ten times your size. I'm glad they left the gameplay pretty much alone since I feel like the general wonkiness of the camera and everything is part of the game's charm, but I do wish they had turned on autosave or at least implemented a prompt to save after each level or something, but it's not the end of the world. I'm also a bit bummed you can't play as the cousins, I really miss Miso.

It sucks that this almost certainly is going to get buried, it really is odd how little they've promoted it since announcement. Also it hit me how awful the demo was when I realized the full game makes you learn the controls first but as far as I remember there's no tutorial at all in the demo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that this almost certainly is going to get buried, it really is odd how little they've promoted it since announcement. Also it hit me how awful the demo was when I realized the full game makes you learn the controls first but as far as I remember there's no tutorial at all in the demo.
yeah, they messed up by both having a bad demo and having a bad release date. i also think it would have been easier to recommend to people if it was 20 dollars (the game is 20 euros). i don't feel like i paid too much, but considering how short it is and that stuff like okami HD are $20, 30 seems a bit much.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I find it interesting that they seemingly recreated the game in Unity for this version (rather than any other method of porting).

But I guess they re-used the original physics code? For a game like this I feel like it would be hard to exactly match up the gameplay otherwise -- and if you were redoing it completely I assume you wouldn't design it for 30 FPS.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting that they seemingly recreated the game in Unity for this version (rather than any other method of porting).

But I guess they re-used the original physics code? For a game like this I feel like it would be hard to exactly match up the gameplay otherwise -- and if you were redoing it completely I assume you wouldn't design it for 30 FPS.
It is odd. Like was mentioned, there's a unity plugin called "PS2KatamariSimulation", so I'm guessing they have something to run the original code for gameplay. It doesn't seem to entirely be for physics though, the level-select planet (and only that one) also runs at 30.