• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
these are the hints

-next gen
-future tech
-not directly xbox/ps5 related
-indirectly impacts xbox studios (unreal is used by over half the studios)
-impacts industry as a whole
-everyone will be excited
-something about the implications

then there's

-showcase
-interview

ok that's it i'm saying it

Seaman

the interview is with an AI

Seaman on the dreamcast? Wish that game got a re-release.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If this is all just to talk about UE5...lol. That may be an important thing in the industry, but 95% of the broad gaming audience will neither know nor care what it means.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
ERA's reaction would be Unreal if this ends up being Unity tech demo. Seriously, if this is a engine showcase, I expecting like this:

Unreal logo, tech demo begins, stunning NEXT-GEN graphics.
Tech demo ends.
Remedy logo appears.
Black screen.
FALL 2022.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
3f6.png

Y'all I'm just happy to have that hype feeling and some gaming related news.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
He's stitching together a hype video for the end of the stream. This definitely has more to do with Summer Games Fest itself than maybe just UE5.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Geoff get in here and leak it on an alt account or something! I can't take the teasing.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Dang. I won't be able to watch until after work, but I am psyched for tomorrow. I don't care if everyone else is disappointed with cross gen looking stuff or the quality of the title being shown; if it's even a game and not UE5 or something. I won't be disappointed because I wasn't with the Xbox thing last week and it's video games. And video games are fuckin awesome.

But also, something incredible please

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of new engine update or sommit

unreal engine 5 or unity 2 or sommit

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
At this point you can't really point the finger at the community for being overly excited or hyping ourselves up over nothing. Whatever happens happens.
Yet some people are still talking about "you're setting yourselfs up for disappointment, they are not really hyping this up, that won't be something big". Last activity from Jeoff and others is the most accurate definition of hyping videogames related thing up, if not, then what would be? If Jeoff would literally got heart attack because of how crazy the showcase is, and then host the event from the actual hospital? I think all the backlash, if this thing doesn't deliver and is really something small, would be pretty valid.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
these are the hints

-next gen
-future tech
-not directly xbox/ps5 related
-indirectly impacts xbox studios (unreal is used by over half the studios)
-impacts industry as a whole
-everyone will be excited
-something about the implications

then there's

-showcase
-interview

ok that's it i'm saying it

Seaman

the interview is with an AI
Where are these hints from?

My guess: Maybe it will be a reveal of Unreal Engine 5 with gameplay premiere from a decent 3rd party game that MS has some exclusivity too.

Seems like big enough. impacts all the industry, future tech, it could make porting certain games to next gen easier, affect MS directly, everyone is excited (even developers)

Edit: Ok I am revising it a bit Unreal Engine 5 reveal that shows a demo of the next Batman game and at the end they say it we just saw real time next gen graphics.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Ok I am revising it a bit Unreal Engine 5 reveal that shows a demo of the next Batman game and at the end they say it we just saw real time next gen graphics.

It's crazy that the last Batman game ran on Unreal Engine 3, and the next Batman game might run on Unreal Engine 5.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Does Overwatch 2 fit the bill here?

Blizzard's on the list and the game would be pretty big news for everyone if we had a beta/demo release in the next month or so. Plus a confirmation of it coming to next gen consoles (if that hasn't been confirmed already) would be cool. It's something people would care about here but it wouldn't be earth shattering news at E3.

Who said that it wouldn't be a big E3 story when NateDrake said it WOULD be a big E3 moment?
Some tweet from early in the thread. I can't find it but people have been playing a game of telephone all day with all the quotes being thrown around.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Does Overwatch 2 fit the bill here?

Blizzard's on the list and the game would be pretty big news for everyone if we had a beta/demo release in the next month or so. Plus a confirmation of it coming to next gen consoles (if that hasn't been confirmed already) would be cool. It's something people would care about here but it wouldn't be earth shattering news at E3.

Blizzard would announce that kind of thing at Blizzcon. Have they ever announced anything close to E3?

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard would announce that kind of thing at Blizzcon. Have they ever announced anything close to E3?
Only mild stuff like Diablo 3 during the PS4 reveal event (February so not close to E3 but we haven't gotten that for PS5 yet). Blizzard itself, not just Activision, is on the Summer Game Feat Phase 1 list so news from them is possible at any time it seems.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My bet is some sort of cloud infrastructrue to play demos of games shown during Summer of Games, next-gen games included, to which all companies are participating.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
This one tweet from Jeff Grubb is literally the only piece of information even remotely not hyping up this event tomorrow

AND he's not even explicitly talking about Keighley's event tomorrow

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff Grubb from GamesBeat

Wow.. that brings me down to earth again..
I think it's a game for certain now, not a game engine tech demo or something.

The fact Geoff says "surprise guest " means it's someone we associate with a game or brand, I think. And this someone is sufficient to introduce and showcase the game.
So.. someone in the same vein as Ed Boon and Mortal Kombat?

What if it's Harada and he wants to showcase something Tekken orientated.. like a free update with a whole lot of stuff, like MK11 is getting later this May?

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
My brain keeps going back to PS5, but surely they wouldn't be showing the box nor the UI yet, right? Nor would they show off their own games ahead of their big event. Maybe it's something like PSNow adopting a more GamePass-like model?
Edit: I don't actually believe that's what it is. I just don't know what PS5 thing Sony would even show right now.
To be fair, Keighley always hypes up everything even when it isn't deserved. Every time.
Which makes the THPS thing even weirder. Because it sure as hell seemed like Keighley was trying to minimize the hype at all cost.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. that brings me down to earth again..
I think it's a game for certain now, not a game engine tech demo or something.
Definitely puts things in perspective and lowers the hype level for whatever is happening tomorrow.

BUT at the same time, maybe this is a better system than stuffing all announcements into a 2-day span, therefore cannibalizing any chance mid-level and independent game studios have of holding the spotlight.

Oct 25, 2017
The Batman game is UE4. We already know that from job postings three years ago.

From people that seem to know what they're talking about in this thread it sounds like it would be really weird to announce Unreal Engine 5 since they just released an update to Unreal Engine (4.49) and apparently Epic has said they would just continue on with that naming convention and there doesn't seem to be some world changing tech that would warrant a jump to UE5. A lot of the next gen tech like ray tracing is already supported in UE4.

Regardless, if it's tech related it's going to have to be a big deal unless it has a big third party game like Batman or Harry Potter tied to it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just not getting the vibe of any one game based on how this is hyped. I hope I'm wrong, but I firmly expect an engine or new service.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From people that seem to know what they're talking about in this thread it sounds like it would be really weird to announce Unreal Engine 5 since they just released an update to Unreal Engine (4.49) and apparently Epic has said they would just continue on with that naming convention and there doesn't seem to be some world changing tech that would warrant a jump to UE5. A lot of the next gen tech like ray tracing is already supported in UE4.

Regardless, if it's tech related it's going to have to be a big deal unless it has a big third party game like Batman or Harry Potter tied to it.

The update is 4.25 and the reason they updated it with next-gen support is because the next-gen consoles need to support UE4 to run games that were built on it. Including current games on backwards compatibility AND cross-gen games.

Epic isn't expecting every developer to drop UE4 support immediately and jump to 5, they announce the engine now so people know it'll be available when they're ready to make the jump.

Oct 25, 2017
The update is 4.25 and the reason they updated it with next-gen support is because the next-gen consoles need to support UE4 to run games that were built on it. Including current games on backwards compatibility AND cross-gen games.

Epic isn't expecting every developer to drop UE4 support immediately and jump to 5, they announce the engine now so people know it'll be available when they're ready to make the jump.

Okay my bad, again I'm not very knowledgable just reading some comments that were convincing. What could be different about UE5 from 4 at this point that would warrant a new engine?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

So wtf is it then because half are convinced it's UE5 and the other half aren't lol this is a rollercoaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.