• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
giphy.webp
πŸ‘€πŸ™ƒ

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I read this, but there is not much news here.
They want to make smaller games with flexibility than big AAA games for everyone.
First game will be new ip action adventure game that will be on multiplatform in 2-3 years.
that makes it sound like they just wanted a new start honestly rather then making old I.Ps or working on big projects.

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
Relax Toyama wasn't going to be the one doing a JRPG anyways.

Also three people aren't the entirety of Japan Studio which I heard was big in dev count. πŸ˜‚

If anything if Japan Studio's dev count is still large and now they have new talent and a new head (since February) in charge, there is more of a chance they will try and do new things that were rejected before.
oh ok that's good lol I just want Sony to see the potential in japan studios and give them a chance with a big game like they did bend studios that's allπŸ™πŸ½πŸ˜€.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol smdh Sony ALL WE WANTED WAS A BIG BUDGET JRPG FROM YALL IS THAT REALLY HARD!!!!!! Why are you letting talent like this leave but keeping NEIL!!! lol Damn it man. Now how's the silent hills rumor going to make sense now?!? Who's going to do it now Sony??? Smh

Please tell me this is satire.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
oh ok that's good lol I just want Sony to see the potential in japan studios and give them a chance with a big game like they did bend studios that's allπŸ™πŸ½πŸ˜€.
my hope and this is just me being optimistic is that Sony wants Japan Studio to do bigger projects and also older I.Ps so vets decided to take the oppurtunity and move on and try something new

if that interview summary post was anything to go by maybe said vets didn't want to do I.Ps they were locked on for years and/or work on something that is AAA is scope

this is just my optimistic speculation we have no clue in the end of the day but vets always eventually move on

Sony Bend had two vets leave recently, MM had an old vet and face of the studio leave in Sepetember, GG's has new heads after Hulst went on and became WWS head

it would make sense if vets don't want to be invested heavily in something they've done before in the future and want to do something else, try something else instead

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Ah so Kat has been put in solitary. Mottainai :(

I wish the best for Toyama and Sato though! I hope they can make projects they want to do and bring them to as many people as possible.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really sad that Sony's first party offerings are becoming more and more Western. I know this isn't directly related but it feels like another blow for big budget, Japanese first party games from Sony.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything Toyama but things have seemingly not been going his way at Japan Studio between at least one cancellation and commercially underperforming games so this might be for the best. Hope the new studio does well and that this isn't a sign of Sony investing less in their Japanese development.

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
my hope and this is just me being optimistic is that Sony wants Japan Studio to do bigger projects and also older I.Ps so vets decided to take the oppurtunity and move on and try something new

if that interview summary post was anything to go by maybe said vets didn't want to do I.Ps they were locked on for years and/or work on something that is AAA is scope

this is just my optimistic speculation we have no clue in the end of the day but vets always eventually move on

Sony Bend had two vets leave recently, MM had an old vet and face of the studio leave in Sepetember, GG's has new heads after Hulst went on and became WWS head

it would make sense if vets don't want to be invested heavily in something they've done before in the future and want to do something else, try something else instead
Hmm didn't think about it that wayπŸ€” you might be right, getting new talent for the studio to replace the ones that's been there for years that wants to do something different in their lives is a good thing to do. Lol was going crazy seeing them leave but if they want to do something different in a smaller scale then that's cool by me. Maybe kojima is the one making the new silent hills game??? Who knows at this point. Just want Sony to get the right person for the job and not let japan studios just be a support studio.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Reading the google translation it seems that Sony wanted to do a AAA project but they don't, they wanted a smallish project.
Well, I think/hope this is for the best for both parts.

Jun 12, 2018
It's really sad that Sony's first party offerings are becoming more and more Western. I know this isn't directly related but it feels like another blow for big budget, Japanese first party games from Sony.
Forcing a developer to create a genre specific game like a JRPG to fit some portfolio of needed genres is a quick trip to shutdown of said developer if that game flops.

Translation by --R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Going independent to do what you're good at

-- I was surprised to hear that you have established a new company. Please tell us about the process of independence.
Toyama: I had originally thought about setting up my own company. I knew that eventually I would have to retire when I was with the company (SIE), but I wanted to continue working on games even after I retired.

But if I started to think about the job after I retired, I would probably be stuck in a situation where I would be unable to move on. So I always knew that I needed to have something in place before I left SIE.

But this year there was a big change in the industry, partly due to the coronavirus, so I decided that now was the time to start my own business.

--So you started to think specifically about independence in March of this year, due to the influence of coronavirus?

Sato: Before that, we had been talking about the possibility of starting something new while having drinks, but it was around that time that we started to take solid steps.

Toyama: At first, I thought that we would become an independent company, but as I talked to Sato and Okura about becoming independent, we gradually gathered a group of people who agreed with us, and as a result, we had a system that was perfect for a game studio.

My specialty is not to create something that will appeal to everyone, but to create something different from the norm.

However, these days, the mainstream of console games is to create big titles that can compete on the world stage. I thought it would be difficult to make use of my strongest style in this situation, so in that sense, it was now or never.

--Do you mean that you chose to be independent in order to create what you want to create as a creator?

Toyama: Originally, I got involved with PlayStation since the days of the PlayStation 2, when the old "Let's play games!"* project, we borrowed from various teams to make games. Because of this background, we were able to decide what to make with what equipment, team management and staffing.

* Let's Play Games! was an old audition system Sony had on the late 90s to bring new talent. You may remember games like the Devil Dice franchise that came from this.

But gradually, as the company grew in size, we were required to work as an organization.

We were able to grow as creators by learning how to develop games for larger teams, but at the same time, we had to think about the impact on our surroundings and the overall policy, rather than just doing what we wanted to do.

Then we began to yearn for an environment where we could express our ideas in a straightforward manner, just like in the past.

Okura: I've been working with Toyama for a long time, and I kept thinking more or less the same thing. After the company's structure changed, and the policy was changed to focus on large-scale development rather than the game development itself, so it became difficult for me to try out various ways of creating a game, or to change the development policy if the circumstances changed.

That said, I've learned a lot about working with large teams to create games. It's not that we didn't like that kind of policy, but rather that we chose to be independent so that we could do what we were good at, the way we were good at it.

--So, it's not like you've been fighting with each other (SIE).

Sato: No, it's not (laughs). (laughs). In fact, I owe them a lot of thanks for their support in the future. Looking back on it, I'm very grateful for the great experiences I had in such a blessed environment.

--I'm so relieved (laughs). By the way, what is the meaning behind the name of the studio?

Toyama: When I was deciding on the company name, I thought it wouldn't feel right to bring a name from a place that I had no connection with, so I wanted to name it something that was related to me.

One of my hobbies is photography, so I looked for something in that area and came up with the word "bokeh". Originally, bokeh was just considered a failure, but Japanese artists started using it intentionally to create an emotional effect, and it was picked up by the foreign media, which led to it becoming popular.

I was impressed by the fact that people found something attractive that they hadn't noticed before, and spread its appeal to the rest of the world, so I decided to name the company after it. The photographic term "Bokeh" is spelled "Bokeh" in English, but since it's a new word, the pronunciation of the word is not fixed, so we thought it could be read as " Bōka ", and so we decided to change the reading of the name to Bōka. As you might expect, the name of the company is a bit of a blur (laughs).

Sato: But English-speaking people read it as "boke" (laughs).

--The first time I heard it, I had to listen back (laughs).

Toyama: To tell the truth, that's what I'm aiming for, and I think it's easy for people to remember.

--Will the company's main business be game development?

Sato: Right. We will operate as a developer.

Toyama: I think we'll be able to make prototypes of the scale we've been working on at SIE with no problems at all, since we've been able to create prototypes on our own.

--You already have an in-house development staff. By the way, when did you start your business?

Sato: It was August of this year, and although I left SIE at the end of September, I only registered the company before I left. When I started the company, there were only three of us, but now we are in the process of gradually increasing the number of employees.

--So it's been about three months since the studio was established (*interview conducted in early November). What are your impressions at this stage?

Toyama: There are still a lot of things I'm not used to. I'm still getting used to it, because we don't have a base for Bokeh Game Studio yet, so I'm working via telework.

We used teleworking at SIE as well, so we were used to it, but now we don't have the advantage of setting up a "base" because it's hard to get together. We are experimenting with teleworking to see how far we can go, but since we only talk to our staff online, we don't really feel like we are independent.

Sato: We haven't even been able to have a staff meeting yet. We do have online drinking sessions, but there's a limit to how much we can talk online because I can only talk to one person at a time...

When I left SIE, the farewell party usually lasted about a month, but there were no farewell parties this time because I was teleworking (laughs).

Toyama: At the end of the day, I imagined receiving a bouquet of flowers and geting an applause when I retired, but in reality, it was completely different: I was quietly organizing my stuff on an unmanned floor (laughs).

--It's a bit sad, even though it's the only way to go, from a situational standpoint (laughs). (laughs) When you started your own business, did you talk to your colleagues about it?

Sato: I couldn't tell anyone in SIE until the company was settled. I think the people in SIE must have been aware of this, but I think this article will make them say, "Oh, I knew it was going to happen."

--What was your reaction when you talked to someone you are familiar with?

Sato: Since we each had our own title, it was difficult for me to say what I wanted to say, but many of the reactions I heard were "Finally"

Toyama: I consulted with a lot of people and received a lot of advice. Without that advice, I had no idea what to do, but the creators who have been my drinking buddies for 10 years all have their own studios.

I've been unable to take the first step in this direction, but now I feel like it's my turn.

The first game will be in the same direction as the previous ones
--Are you guys working on a title already?
Toyama: Yes, I can't talk about it in detail yet, but we are concentrating on developing the first game. We'd like to develop it on a wide variety of platforms so that as many people as possible are able to play it.

--What are your thoughts on the future of gaming? By the way, what is your impression of PlayStation 5 from a flat standpoint after you became independent?

Toyama: PlayStation is spreading around the world as a platform hub for both blockbuster and indie releases, so I think it will attract more people than ever before, and we have high hopes for it.

--So it's hardware that you want to make games on.

Toyama: Yeah. But first of all, we have to work hard to actually release a game as Bokeh Game Studio! (Laughs)

--I hope it does in this first game, which is currently in development (laughs). I'd like to hear more about what this first game is about.

Toyama: This is an action-adventure game that plays to my strengths in storytelling and worldbuilding. Initially, I was thinking of developing the game on a more compact scale, but with the support of many people and the gathering of support staff, I think we will be able to do something very similar to what we have done so far. In that sense, our direction will be the same as it has been in the past.

--So, is the game already in full development?

Toyama: The concept work of the game has been finalized, and we're working on the details of the game design and scenario. Since it's the first time, it's a new point of view, but we plan to include entertainment elements that many people can enjoy.

Sato: The development is expected to take another two or three years.

--I look forward to more news! I think many fans are also curious about what will happen to the titles that Toyama and his team have created so far.

Sato: The IP (intellectual property) is licensed to SIE Japan Studio, so we can't do anything on our own, but we want to continue to build a good relationship with them, and if both parties agree, I think it's possible to make new moves on the titles we've created so far.

--So you are ready if it actually happens.

Sato: Yes. But we really want to launch our own new IP first, so we will concentrate on this first game for a while.

--When you create an IP, you often hand over the license to a publisher, but are you going to make games as an IP holder?

Toyama: At first I thought it would be difficult, but after consulting with many people, I heard that the environment surrounding new studios was changing due to major changes in the industry with the appearance of new platforms such as Stadia and Apple Arcade.

Then I thought that we could make a game as our own IP, so we are developing our first game with a commitment to making a game as an IP holder.

--You could have been a publisher in the so-called indie world, but you didn't choose to be one this time?

Sato: The scale of the first game is too large for us to publish it ourselves, and I think it will be difficult this time. I really didn't think it would reach this scale. We were lucky to meet a lot of new people, and it's progressing well enough.

To make fun last longer

--Is there anything you'd like to try in the future?
Toyama: In the future, I would like to not only give shape to my own projects, but also back young developers and make their works available to the world, just as I was able to do in the past.

Now that I'm really free, I can think of many things I'd like to do, but my dreams keep spreading, and I've been told by Sato and Okura, "No, no, no...!". (laughs)

Sato: I think it's fine as long as it's a title I can compete with. (laughs)

--What do you think about the balance between what you want to create and commercial success when creating a game?

Toyama: "X is popular in the world, but there's no game that captures the essence of that, is there?" I approach it from an idea like this. So, it's like I'm trying to make something I enjoy making, but also aim for success. This is the same now as it was before.

Okura: You have a base element that you think will sell, and then you add your own touches to it.

Toyama: Right now, the whole studio is concentrating on the production of the first game, but when I have time, I'd like to try various things. Personally, I'd like to make some goods. (This uses the katakana for goods, but I'm not really sure what it means, sorry)

--Is there a desire to expand into multimedia projects based on the game?

Toyama: I think it would be an interesting idea to use multimedia projects to explore the game's story and worldbuilding.

Sato: I'd like to try it if I can do it after the development is finished, but I don't think we're aiming for multimedia development.

--So what are your goals for the future as a studio?

Toyama: I don't have a clear-cut goal in mind, but we are working with the intention of continuing to make games for a long time, and to do so we need commercial success, and we will aim for awards in order to get a buzz.

I think our goal is to do what we need to do to maintain an environment that we can enjoy making games in.

Sato: I guess I love making games. The desire to keep making them forever is the core of my work.

--We can't wait for the announcement of the first game! Finally, could you give a message to your fans?

Okura: I'm going to create something new that will meet your expectations and betray them in a good way, so I hope you'll be looking forward to it.

Sato: It will take a little longer to announce the title, but we will be posting our progress on SNS, and I'd be happy if you could take a look at that as well.

Toyama: I'd appreciate it if you would feel free to contact me on social networking sites. First of all, I think it's all about having users enjoy the game, so please stay tuned.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Puppeteer was brilliant. Hopefully he gets to make a new original game next.

I finally found the interview lol. From 2013. Dude would be absolutely torn to shreds if this happened today.

I = interviewer, M = Gavin Moore.

M: ... And so I had a big argument with them and said, well they didn't know what they were talking about basically. Why do we want girls to play girls and why do we want boys to play boys? It's just a story and it's just something that we should do. So I should as a game creator start pandering to public opinion? Over what is correct? As soon as we start doing that we end up like America, we won't be able to say anything ever again and it all be very PC

M: ... So I should have made a little pink Kutaro, for girls to play?

I: No, we don't have to exaggerate. I mean just, just a female. It doesn't have to be pink. Kutaro doesn't have to be red or blue or something. We don't have to go that far. Just like, an option, just to have it there to maybe… It would cheapen your vision, I think, just-

Then very shortly after agreeing that gender options would cheapen his vision:

I: I feel like you don't care. You don't care (that Kutaro is) a boy, because it's just the player.

M: Exactly. It's exactly, that's what it is. I mean, he doesn't even speak. He has no personality. It's just you. You just impose your personality on him and play as you. I mean you're controlling him on the theatre on the stage, that's what you're doing.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Wow good for them but massive loss for Japan studio. And I guess the silent Hill dream is dead?

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
We can't assume Silent Hill is dead because he left. Maybe it's being developed under new leadership? That's not always a bad thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Going independent to do what you're good at

The first game will be in the same direction as the previous ones

To make fun last longer

Please let me know if there are any mistakes!

Thanks for the translation.

This though:

--I look forward to more news! I think many fans are also curious about what will happen to the titles that Toyama and his team have created so far.

Sato: The IP (intellectual property) is licensed to SIE Japan Studio, so we can't do anything on our own, but we want to continue to build a good relationship with them, and if both parties agree, I think it's possible to make new moves on the titles we've created so far.

Sato: Yes. But we really want to launch our own new IP first, so we will concentrate on this first game for a while.

tenor.gif

Gravity Rush 3!!!!!!!!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the translation.

This though:

tenor.gif

Gravity Rush 3!!!!!!!!
Toyama himself is pretty much done with Gravity Rush so idk why you're forcing it on him lol

He likely meant Siren and stuff.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like developers finding enough success to go independent and start their own studio is a great news story. Good developers too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like developers finding enough success to go independent and start their own studio is a great news story. Good developers too.

I don't think this is really an example of that. It's more an example of a dev team having an extremely difficult time finding a niche within their parent company and leaving. Toyama's games have been serial underperformers for a long time now.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
That would be an even less wise idea. Especially after Death Stranding.

I mean this is another IP though. People to this day laud PT as one of the greatest horror games they played. Kojima isn't some one trick pony.

Agreed. Just like Alex from Media Molecule wanted to go on to do something else in his life. This could be something similar.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It's just way too much money to spend on another company's IP.

Sony is probably fine doing this considering the amount of money they are willing to spend on timed 3rd party exclusives or DLC. Also, if I remember correctly, I read Sony is ready to invest in having more games being developed in the pipeline to ensure quicker releases of games after a dominant generation with the PS4. They want to stay market leader. I mean 2021 is looking nuts already.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While his departure doesn't really impact me (not keen on horror), I really wonder what is the state of affairs at SIEJ right now. Are there any teams outside of Team Asobi working on actual projects that aren't just just collaborations?

Looking at the results from the past decade, it's clear that their experimental small-scale style of game development has been nothing short of a failure. They are largely irrelevant today, even in their home market (if this is not damning, I don't know what is).

I recall Gavin Moore was sent there to reform the studio. Not sure if Team Asobi's success can be attributed to him, but I don't think anything has changed for the better. There's a clear global demand for Japanese games in the market today and I don't understand why it's so difficult for a studio of SIEJ size to deliver a game with mainstream appeal like the other Japanese publishers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is probably fine doing this considering the amount of money they are willing to spend on timed 3rd party exclusives or DLC. Also, if I remember correctly, I read Sony is ready to invest in having more games being developed in the pipeline to ensure quicker releases of games after a dominant generation with the PS4. They want to stay market leader. I mean 2021 is looking nuts already.

There's a difference between paying for a timed exclusive and paying to completely develop a third party's game for them, though.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
What toyama says in his interview about the shift towards large-scale development intended for worldwide success basically confirms this Bloomberg article about how Sony thinks they don't need to produce games that only do well in Japan.

I wonder if it means Japan Studio will shift towards bigger, more substantial games this gen. Putting someone like Doucet at the helm doesn't really go in that direction, this guy is not at all interested in AAA.