• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
jB9i0nU.jpg

https://www.theattack.tv/
https://www.twitch.tv/theattack
The Attack is a live web broadcast on Twitch hosted by Alex Corea. It was created by (and formerly cohosted by) Kevin Pereira. The show's format is loosely based on Attack of the Show. The show is currently on hiatus, but when it's on it runs Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 4pm Pacific. The Attack is community funded by way of Patreon, Twitch subscriptions, and direct donations.

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I'm literally only just now hearing about this and I loved Attack of the Show (when it was still mainly gaming focused) and Pereira's Youtube talkshow :/

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least he owned up to it, and honestly viewbotting isnt that bad. I didnt even think it was enforced, I figured it was something most large streamers were guilty of.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he get picked up by Disney XD? I didn't think he was that desperate for views.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I didn't even know he was still around.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Kevin. He fucked up, but at least he's being honest about it. Hope he does come back at some point. I really enjoyed him from the AOTS days and I still listen to his podcasts every now and then.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
This is the first I'm even hearing of the show. Maybe I'll subscribe because I loved ATOS back in the day.
And honestly, viewbotting is not that big of a deal for the consumer. I'm sure twitch is a little unhappy about it and its against their ToS, but its not shitty to the consumer.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't feel bad for him, and you know he's hardly the only one. I'd wager more than a few of the threads made here about various events with great amounts of people watching had view bots in them to boost the numbers dramatically.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest, I don't much care if people viewbot on Twitch, the platform has a very severe discoverability issue and there are countless good streamers out there that never get the attention they deserve. At this point it isn't even worth becoming a streamer unless you're ridiculously good at a particular game because the days of being able to casually pick up 30-50 viewers with a bunch of friendly regulars just from having some fun are long gone. The viewbots haven't done anything but raise visibility of his channel in the same way that paid advertising would, it is still up to viewers if they enjoy the content long enough to stay around, chat, subscribe or become a patreon. Twitch may not like it, but the problem wouldn't exist if they'd put some effort into helping small channels grow rather than trying to quickly push them into the cycle of begging for money and taking a nice 50% cut of it.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
This seems overly dramatic to me. Kevin Pereira is dead to some people because of viewbots?

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I completely understand why he would use a viewbot, getting noticed on Twitch in this day and age is really difficult. But they have been on a decline for a long time which suggests the content just wasn't really connecting with viewers and in that case viewbotting would do absolutely nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems overly dramatic to me. Kevin Pereira is dead to some people because of viewbots?
Well dead in the sense that he essentially employed the entire staff of the show and many of them left their other jobs to try and make this work. And since he got them banned from twitch, they basically don't have jobs. Now granted it was gonna fail eventually anyway

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I fail to see how this is a big deal. I mean you shouldn't do it but like...who cares?
Edit: After seeing the above post it makes more sense, clearly the staff would be mad. Then again it kind of sounds like the writing was on the wall anyway

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I fail to see how this is a big deal. I mean you shouldn't do it but like...who cares?
Edit: After seeing the above post it makes more sense, clearly the staff would be mad. Then again it kind of sounds like the writing was on the wall anyway
Yeah. But if they could somehow make it to the summer, Disney might again do the video game block and that would allow them to continue for a few more months etc. then they could catch on(unlikely)

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider this some big breach of trust or whatever. It's just kind of sad, really.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a Hearthstone streamer I used to watch (can't remember his name anymore) which I found to be pretty likable. Streamed with his mother in the same room and all. Didn't scream or do "fun Twitch stuff" on camera, you know what I mean.

Some time later I found out he used viewbotting to boost his numbers (while also turning more and more into a typical streamer). From that moment on, whenever his name was uttered there were tons of "lol he's dead" responses.

I guess when it comes to Twitch culture viewbotting is seen as a very big deal. I don't care that much either, to be honest though.

Oct 27, 2017
Just for some comparison. The Attack was getting 5k a month from Patreon and easy allies is getting 40k a month. So it really was bleak

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's too bad. Kevin puts out a shitload of content and works his ass off, but I can see him getting desperate when his audience continued to underwhelm.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those that don't know, ViewBots basically help falsify the real viewer count for a given stream. The benefit to the person using this method is that their view count goes up, which could potentially help with adverting by making it seem like they have a ton of perspective viewers (i.e. customers for the advertiser).

Also, like a popular club, more people will enter a club that is full, more so than one that is empty, so a harmful side effect to this for other streamers is that potential viewers decide to go to this full club (streamer using ViewBots) rather than their own stream, thus making it harder for the honest streamers to gain a foot hold.

It's just a shitty untruthful method and people are always apologetic once they get caught. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I didn't even know there was a successor to Attack of the Show until now, used to watch that all the time along with X-Play. Sad to see it already die off

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt in my mind that tons of Twitch's big name streamers use viewbots to some extent. And not only that, but Twitch probably knows and allows it simply because they make enough money off of them.

They should of been a bit smarter though. They must have been sending a large amount of fake viewers for long periods of time without making them seem real. Should of just passed on it altogether, though. Especially since he was already making a fair amount of viewers just based off of people who knew him beforehand.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no doubt in my mind that tons of Twitch's big name streamers use viewbots to some extent. And not only that, but Twitch probably knows and allows it simply because they make enough money off of them.

They should of been a bit smarter though. They must have been sending a large amount of fake viewers for long periods of time without making them seem real. Should of just passed on it altogether, though. Especially since he was already making a fair amount of viewers just based off of people who knew him beforehand.

why

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
View botting , fake followers , and the like are so rampant within all of social media .It's quite a drag.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I didn't even know there was a successor to Attack of the Show until now, used to watch that all the time along with X-Play. Sad to see it already die off
It's been around for a few years actually.

Also I think one of the bigger mistakes was that initially Kevin was a host but then he passed it off to another host(Alex) and while he's fine, he's no Kevin pereira

Also they didn't really advertise it at all. Like if I didn't randomly wonder what Kevin was doing one day years ago, I would've never stumbled upon it or the pointless podcast

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad. Kevin puts out a shitload of content and works his ass off, but I can see him getting desperate when his audience continued to underwhelm.
Yup. I feel bad for him. He tried to hang on, but we're living in a new era. What he did on TV a decade ago doesn't work now. The kids want personality based streamers and his old fans have grown up and no longer find that kind of show appealing.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I feel bad for him. He tried to hang on, but we're living in a new era. What he did on TV a decade ago doesn't work now. The kids want personality based streamers and his old fans have grown up and no longer find that kind of show appealing.
I don't think it's that it's not found appealing as it was basically what kind of funny does daily and they get more viewers and have a community. This just wasn't as visible. Greg and co or the easy allies guys had been doing gaming stuff more recently so when they decided to do patrons and stuff it was fresh in people's minds. Kevin had been doing the tru tv show and other ventures for years after AOTS and then tried to do this but nobody knew about it

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that it's not found appealing as it was basically what kind of funny does daily and they get more viewers and have a community. This just wasn't as visible. Greg and co or the easy allies guys had been doing gaming stuff more recently so when they decided to do patrons and stuff it was fresh in people's minds. Kevin had been doing the tru tv show and other ventures for years after AOTS and then tried to do this but nobody knew about it
You're right. I stumbled across it by accident. Think he waited too long to start the show. Would've been more successful if he had done it right after AOTS ended.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I've followed Kevin on Twitter for years now and every time I see him tweet I wonder what he thinks about Olivia Munn going on to become a well known celebrity whilst he struggling to remain relevant at all.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I think another part of it is that TheAttack is so produced, whereas ontop of personality based content, people like long form/candid/conversational discussions which is counter to the quicker pace of their show.