• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Characters looked locked in to one another even at the start of the matching. There wasn't any sign of full free roaming movement in this preview. Theres a side step mechanic but Satsuki and Ryuko were still tracked with one another. Same as side stepping in Soul Calibur, VF, and Tekken. It allows for 3D movement but you never deviate from being in line with your opponent.

Seems like they have some cinematic camera angles to give the game an open feel. But not once did they deviate from that fighting plane or show some sort of free roaming arena traversal.

The moment they do show it, my interest in this game will wane... I'll still buy it though.

Like I said. I think Arc System Works knows better than to try to debut gameplay of an arena fighter at EVO.

This certainly does not look like they're locked since she's facing a completely different direction.

644c5511789d852674da3d7ca3e3935a.jpg

ad4c7dc56b68c8b3666736ae1cac56a7.jpg

c4a92f29a03ccbeecf5f76090c3e2258.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Actually looks pretty good. Visuals are definitely on point.
I need to see more beta gameplay before I give any more impressions. It's still early.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This certainly does not look like they're locked since she's facing a completely different direction.

644c5511789d852674da3d7ca3e3935a.jpg

ad4c7dc56b68c8b3666736ae1cac56a7.jpg

c4a92f29a03ccbeecf5f76090c3e2258.jpg

Those pictures don't refute anything I stated. During successful sidesteps opponents in 3D fighters tend to do that. There is nothing shown with them having free movement. Looks like the aftermath of a successful sidestep into attack.

If it is an arena fighter then it's going to get laughed out of EVO and it'll be just another one of those Naruto/Xenoverse games. Which I'll still end up buying anyways.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Those pictures don't refute anything I stated. During successful sidesteps opponents in 3D fighters tend to do that. There is nothing shown with them having free movement. Looks like the aftermath of a successful sidestep into attack.

If it is an arena fighter then it's going to get laughed out of EVO and it'll be just another one of those Naruto/Xenoverse games. Which I'll still end up buying anyways.

1 ) Naruto games and Xenoverse games are not the same

2) And yet Pokken made it at EVO

3) if the game is good and interesting I don't see why people would laugh at free movement, it's clear the combos and attacks aren't yolo, there's even a grab move that looks like the Dust, it will be fine whatever this ends up being IMO.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

3) if the game is good and interesting I don't see why people would laugh at free movement, it's clear the combos and attacks aren't yolo, there's even a grab move that looks like the Dust, it will be fine whatever this ends up being IMO.

Xenoverse and Naruto are arena games. I didn't say they were the same, but they do share the same genre. You can just fly in one and not the other and they both have their own mechanics. I don't know where you were trying to go with that.

I'm not saying it won't be fun for me. But the majority of the FGC perceives them as shallow. That's why you have only ever seen one arena fighter ever make it to the line up.

If the game is similar to how Pokken handles combat then it will probably garner audience due to its tight gameplay mechanics. It would be nice to see some tournament play from this game on a larger scale like EVO.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the anime, but this is not the kind of game I want from Kill la Kill :|
I'd love something in the vein of Bayonetta, ideally by Platinum Games:

Quebaz

Nov 15, 2017
mad as hell about the bad opinions on arena fighters in this thread in the year of New Virtual On 2018

But this game looks... early.
You mean the one game that hasn't been localized and the impressions from the people that played it make it sound like it's worse than Oratorio Tangram?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

This looks nothing like Pokken which had mostly traditional 2d fighting with an occasional arena phase. Pokken was largely not an Arena fighter.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This looks nothing like Pokken which had mostly traditional 2d fighting with an occasional arena phase. Pokken was largely not an Arena fighter.

The point is that it had free movement.

This hasn't showed free movement, I said even if it does I don't see why it instantly means it's bad.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Hmm, looks like it it's a 3d/arena fighter in the vein of J-Stars Victory or Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul, which I'm okay with.
Kinda weird that Satsuki is the main character though, haven't watched much of the anime but isn't she the villain?
I know it's a alternative story but still, it'd be like making Vegeta the main character of a Dragon Ball game, just wouldn't be right :P
Would make more sense as something you unlock after beating the game as Ryuko.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that it had free movement.

This hasn't showed free movement, I said even if it does I don't see why it instantly means it's bad.

The free movement aspect of Pokken was far more shallow than the 2d plane phase.
It doesn't mean its "bad", but we don't see many Arena type fighters that are competitively viable at that level so of course we're going to be realistic about expectations.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Another anime arena fighter developed by a mediocre studio.

The only difference between this and that MHA game is the fact that they are very lttp on this project and Kill la Kill is pretty irrelevant right now.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The free movement aspect of Pokken was far more shallow than the 2d plane phase.
It doesn't mean its "bad", but we don't see many Arena type fighters that are competitively viable at that level so of course we're going to be realistic about expectations.
It was called ARMS and nobody outside of Alex Valle gave it a serious chance.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Well that looks even worse than I was actually expecting. Can't even call this a cash grab because the Kill La Kill moment is over and dead so I'm not even sure why they're bothering. I loved Kill La Kill myself but not enough to buy this awful looking game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Another anime arena fighter developed by a mediocre studio.

The only difference between this and that MHA game is the fact that they are very lttp on this project and Kill la Kill is pretty irrelevant right now.

Which should kinda tell you this isn't a cash grab and more of a passion project over "popular anime needs game next year, you have 6 months" .

Deleted member 35156

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Which should kinda tell you this isn't a cash grab and more of a passion project over "popular anime needs game next year, you have 6 months" .
This makes me hopeful that the game will be decent, I really wish they gave some more info of this game but I guess I'll have to wait till EVO to see more of it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me hopeful that the game will be decent, I really wish they gave some more info of this game but I guess I'll have to wait till EVO to see more of it.

Here's the thing, at worst it's going to a "naruto storm" Kill la Kill with fan service and flashy moves. That's fine. With the EVO beta there's the chance that anything whack will be tweaked based off feedback.

Japanese devs don't always do that (MHA didn't do that all they just made the game and that's it), so that makes me hopeful.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the one game that hasn't been localized and the impressions from the people that played it make it sound like it's worse than Oratorio Tangram?

it's impossible to make a better game than Oratorio Tangram so what are you gonna do

Really though, it's a great game. A much better 2v2 take, exactly what Force should have been and with enough distinct mechanics from OT to make the 1v1 worthwhile too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The animation style is surprisingly similar to ArcSys's.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
Omg! I love Chilaquil (Kill la Kill)

I suppose I'm going to buy this from Steam ... BUT I'm not so sure. I don't really like 3D Arena Fighters or... whatever this thing is.

I want to see some Nonon Jakuzure and maybe I will be convinced (or confirm it for Switch and I'm all in)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate arena fighters, I'm just tired of every time an anime gets a game, it's a fighting game of some kind. The adventure and characters are the reasons people like shounens, not just the battles. I wish games would try to capture more elements of shounen anime instead of being content with just fights.

Naruto was such a perfect IP for this, but all it got were arena fighters with QTE-fest story modes on PS3/4. At least some of the PS2 games had a really cheap action rpg mode for the campaign. They should treat anime games like they do with movies, an original adventure with the cast you know. The budget would be much higher, so it's probably unreasonable for something like Kill la Kill, but I doubt something like My Hero Academia, Naruto, Dragon Ball or One Piece would have any trouble moving the necessary copies.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't find her turn from "Figuratively Hitler" to "John Connor, but with alien clothes" believable. Besides, wasn't she the main character of the second half anyway?

I'll let you have that, personally her turn on Ragyo was actually the hypest shit. Yeah she became co-main character in the second half, but I'm most certainly not going to complain about getting more Satsuki shine, I'm basking in the god rays.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate arena fighters, I'm just tired of every time an anime gets a game, it's a fighting game of some kind. The adventure and characters are the reasons people like shounens, not just the battles. I wish games would try to capture more elements of shounen anime instead of being content with just fights.

Naruto was such a perfect IP for this, but all it got were arena fighters with QTE-fest story modes on PS3/4. At least some of the PS2 games had a really cheap action rpg mode for the campaign. They should treat anime games like they do with movies, an original adventure with the cast you know. The budget would be much higher, so it's probably unreasonable for something like Kill la Kill, but I doubt something like My Hero Academia, Naruto, Dragon Ball or One Piece would have any trouble moving the necessary copies.
I don't think One Piece games sell well, at least over in the West. I think companies are just being realistic when they decide to turn an anime into a fighting game. It's easy and gets right into the point of the series. They're not gonna invest years into making a Kill la Kill RPG if the return isn't big enough.

OP
OP

rude

Oct 25, 2017

Who remembers the Full Metal Alchemist Square-Enix published ARPGs aside from me?

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Looking forward to this. Really hoping one of these Arena fighters (Hero Academia, Kill La Kill, or Jump Force) is a smash hit. I primarily play 2d fighters but been wanting to make the leap into 3d for quite awhile

Quebaz

Nov 15, 2017
it's impossible to make a better game than Oratorio Tangram so what are you gonna do

Really though, it's a great game. A much better 2v2 take, exactly what Force should have been and with enough distinct mechanics from OT to make the 1v1 worthwhile too.

Well that is true, I just wish they had localized it.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing an arena fighter makes me long for a crazy game like Powerstone :)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think One Piece games sell well, at least over in the West. I think companies are just being realistic when they decide to turn an anime into a fighting game. It's easy and gets right into the point of the series. They're not gonna invest years into making a Kill la Kill RPG if the return isn't big enough.

It's a shame, but you're right.

Who remembers the Full Metal Alchemist Square-Enix published ARPGs aside from me?

The PS2 ones? I do remember them, but never actually played the games, are they any fun?

The PS2 Berserk game is pretty good.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's literally what One Piece: World Seeker is, and that's coming out later this year or early next year.

RPGs are like the second go to genre for anime games. I would say Xenoverse is an RPG with arena-style combat. Dragonball also has the handheld games that are all RPGs (Buu's Fury, Goku's Adventure, Fusions). There's also Sagas, but we don't talk about Sagas. One Piece also has a number of RPG like games, like that one Wii game that I can't remember the name of. One Piece also had like 3 musou games. Naruto had 2 Ubisoft made action RPGs based off Part 1 of the story.

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally what One Piece: World Seeker is, and that's coming out later this year or early next year.

RPGs are like the second go to genre for anime games. I would say Xenoverse is an RPG with arena-style combat. Dragonball also has the handheld games that are all RPGs (Buu's Fury, Goku's Adventure, Fusions). There's also Sagas, but we don't talk about Sagas. One Piece also has a number of RPG like games, like that one Wii game that I can't remember the name of. One Piece also had like 3 musou games. Naruto had 2 Ubisoft made action RPGs based off Part 1 of the story.
Man, just watched a trailer for this One Piece game. It looks super generic, with detective vision and all, but holy shit that movement! Awesome animations, too!

It's a Spider-Man game, basically.

I don't personally care about One Piece, unfortunately, but I'll consider getting it anyway just so we can maybe get more games like this for other franchises.

Generic Action Adventure with characters I love is good enough for me.