• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Try making a thread about like, Ion Fury, and 80% of responses will be like "fuck this game" but with this one, a lot of folks on here just kinda seem to want to ignore the elephant in the room. It's weird. Is it because 'it's a good game' and not as easy to boycott as a niche indie thing?

Like, I get it for all the folks out there who don't really follow games discourse, whatever, but this forum is basically games discourse writ large lol

People know. They don't care. At this point everyone who comes to these threads knows what went on with the developer of this game and have chosen not to care. That's about what almost every post in this thread is.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Try making a thread about like, Ion Fury, and 80% of responses will be like "fuck this game" but with this one, a lot of folks on here just kinda seem to want to ignore the elephant in the room. It's weird. Is it because 'it's a good game' and not as easy to boycott as a niche indie thing?

Like, I get it for all the folks out there who don't really follow games discourse, whatever, but this forum is basically games discourse writ large lol
22 posts out of 52 replies (including mine) have brought it up and I don't think there's been a KCD thread where it hasn't been mentioned. Ion Fury had the bigotry in the text or at least in the game assets, while most of the bigotry for this game has been mostly outside of the game with this Daniel Vavra chud so that might explain the disparity in responses. Ion Fury also got praise so I don't think it's people excusing it just because of game quality. There might be some people who just don't care or people who have ignored these developers and don't come into every thread about it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This and Shenmue 3 are the ones that stick out in my memory as kickstarter projects where I ended up feeling duped. Shenmue 3 because Ys Net and Deep Silver screwed backers by forcing EGS exclusivity onto us, and Kingdom Come because I would never have backed that game had I known that Dan Vavra was a Gamergate supporting shithead. I am absolutely going to steer clear of any upcoming games he's associated with. As well as those of any other such developer, like Adrian Chmielarz, who is the co-founder of The Astronauts, currently working on Witchfire.

I'm sure there are plenty of assholes of a similar nature out there, but those are like the two that I recall being outspoken about supporting Gamergate during it. They were like actually proud of it. And as far as I'm aware they haven't addressed it since, may still be proud of it. And they're in high positions in their companies.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Played KCD when Covid started. As someone wrote before, for me it's also one of the most immersive RPGs I've ever played and the game made it really easy for me to escape reality during that annoying time. Can't wait for the sequel.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up this game cheap a long time ago before I knew about the dev being a massive asshole and I gotta say, it was pretty trash imo. Like the game is aggressively boring for fair periods in the earlier bits and the combat is one of the worst I've dealt with. It kinda felt like Mount and Blade if they wanted to make the combat as unwieldy as possible.

Quite impressive considering it was on GamePass and PSNow for a while and is now on PS Plus.
I'm pretty sure theyre being counted into the total

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND

People know. They don't care. At this point everyone who comes to these threads knows what went on with the developer of this game and have chosen not to care. That's about what almost every post in this thread is.
There's plenty of stuff people enjoy that have assholes involved in its creation process, we even have threads on Kanye's new albums that reach over 30 pages here and that's even from a sole creator, not a studio with close to 200 employees, and that's from someone with a much wider influence than the director of a fairly niche game.

Not everyone is going to join in on the meta commentary every single time just to appease some posters who don't like a person involved or whatever. Not everyone is terminally online and want to engage in every single point of conversation.

This has been commented on for years in every single thread, what even is there to discuss any more

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Picked up this game cheap a long time ago before I knew about the dev being a massive asshole and I gotta say, it was pretty trash imo. Like the game is aggressively boring for fair periods in the earlier bits and the combat is one of the worst I've dealt with. It kinda felt like Mount and Blade if they wanted to make the combat as unwieldy as possible.

I'm pretty sure theyre being counted into the total
I saw the words "sold" so I assumed it wasn't counting those. If it was 'number of players' or something like that then that would be different.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I wish we had, I dont know, obsidian? making a game like this

kc deliverance is fun and unique but I dont think Id pay for another from the same studio

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The quest where you have to infiltrate the monastery and there are like 5 different solutions is an all time great rpg quest. Hell, you can just listen to scripture for an hour lol

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021

This is right and I think unfortunately for some us we have to engage in some cognitive dissonance to engage with some works that really appeal to us but are made by assholes. Like with Harry Potter fans and J.K Rowling though to be fair J.K Rowling is a much more influential figure than people working on Ion Fury or the director of Kingdom Come Deliverance.

For me this game doesn't do anything for me so I haven't bought it. But I did buy Ion Fury and I really do like that game despite what the developers might believe. I think its worth criticising them still and hell I'm with you and I admit there is some cognitive dissonance at play. I think the best bet people like me can do is buy these games and then match the cost of the game with a donation to a charity that fights against the views held by the devs.

Some people can just choose to not egage with these works at all and like vegans I have immense amount of respect for them for sticking to their convictions.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, what you see in this thread is still better than Dragon Quest threads back when Sugiyama was still alive.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the development videos they did years before release thinking it looks too good to be real, but they did deliver.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Not everyone is going to join in on the meta commentary every single time just to appease some posters who don't like a person involved or whatever. Not everyone is terminally online and want to engage in every single point of conversation.

This has been commented on for years in every single thread, what even is there to discuss any more
Ah, so people who rightfully continue to point at Vavras GamerGate antics are "terminally online" because they "don't like a person or whatever"? Way to dismiss absolutely real dangers.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so people who rightfully continue to point at Vavras GamerGate antics are "terminally online" because they "don't like a person or whatever"? Way to dismiss absolutely real dangers.
Yeah because this has been commented on in every thread for years, and posts like that say "people don't care" simply because some people are not repeating ad nausem the same thing some posters have expecations of other posters all to do, is exactly what I mean, if you don't engage to appease the opinion they share, you don't care, even if one might share the same opinion. If you bothered to read the rest of the context of what I wrote then you'd understand. You're acting like this is the first KC:D thread to have ever been made.

People like the game and nobody needs to appease the expectations of others and repeat the same thing that has been repeated forerever to justify any discussion they have about the game.

The expectation that every poster has to preface any opinion about the game ad nausem with stuff like saying Vávra's an asshole is just theatrics at this point. And when someone doesn't, there are posts like "they don't care". If you don't preface anything you say about the game you get such comments. Nobody says you can't bring up the dev, but some posters acting like if you don't preface that with your own discussion/opinionof the game, then it's like an automatic approval of him. It's pretty toxic

Last edited:

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Best rpg of last gen, yeah Vavra is an ass but you didn't have the Mafia remake threads constantly filled with endless Vavra reminders because people didn't know he directed the original. It's all theater

If you bought the Mafia remake that didn't benefit Vavra at all. Despite all his contributions he was still just an employee at Illusion Softworks. With KC:D he's both the co-founder of Warhorse Studios and Creative Director. KC:D's success directly made him money both from sales of the game itself and by making Warhorse a studio that Koch Media wanted to buy. The guy likely got millions out of this. It's not theater to bring it up whenever the game's sales are mentioned.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

gamergate literally happened & thrived because most corners were either too cowardly to call the sexism & bigotry out, or outright favored it

it's absolutely worthwhile to make sure the stench of that garbage follows this game & its creator everytime, or when the next phase of that shit inevitably happens the non-response will likely be the same

Jun 10, 2022
I hate that I like this game. It's really hard to separate the shitlord Vavra from his work, but the game itself is just so unique and fun despite many flaws.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I think at this point Era staff need to rule on whether KC:D threads are allowed or not. Every single one of these threads always devolves into a few posters expecting the discourse to exclusively be about how much Vavra sucks and getting upset when that's not the case. And I understand that, because I also think Vavra is a shitlord and that it taints this game. But to have every thread devolve into people having to defend themselves from accusations of being shitlords or not caring that Vavra is a shitlord isn't exactly productive either.

Either the threads need to be banned entirely or quarantined to a single thread, as is the case with a handful of other games, or people need to be able to discuss the game without fighting off accusations of being shitlords themselves. The middle ground isn't working.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
gamergate literally happened & thrived because most corners were either too cowardly to call the sexism & bigotry out, or outright favored it

it's absolutely worthwhile to make sure the stench of that garbage follows this game & its creator everytime, or when the next phase of that shit inevitably happens the non-response will likely be the same
I don't disagree people can't bring up his history, what I think is bullshit behaviour at this point after all these years is that if someone doesn't preface any opinion/thing they say about the game without something like "Vávra is an asshole", then you get posts saying people "don't care".

If someone says "I like KC:D but Vávra is an asshole", that's okay, nobody questions, apparently people "care" then. If after all these years they just say "I like KC:D" without prefacing it, now you're questioned, and you get comments like "people don't care".

If that isn't theatrics then I don't know what is, and I think it's bullshit people have this toxic questioning attitude if you don't engage in an opinion the way they want you to

I don't care about bringing him up, I think it's some weak attitude that some posters have expectations of others to preface their own posts with that before they can write their opinion on the game

This is not unique to Vávra though, it's the same for Kanye's album threads and many others. You can't discuss something by Kanye without having to preface your opinion about him, and the expectation of posters of other posters to do that is just weird as hell

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Quick reminder that this was the rule in the OT:

2. Buying this game does not automatically make someone a horrible person and nothing will be learned or gained by anyone if you take that stance. Do not attack other members just for buying the game or enjoying mundane aspects of the game. Do not attempt to shame them.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I don't disagree people can't bring up his history, what I think is bullshit behaviour at this point after all these years is that if someone doesn't preface any opinion/thing they say about the game without something like "Vávra is an asshole", then you get posts saying people "don't care".

If someone says "I like KC:D but Vávra is an asshole", that's okay, nobody questions, apparently people "care" then. If after all these years they just say "I like KC:D" without prefacing it, now you're questioned, and you get comments like "people don't care".

If that isn't theatrics then I don't know what is, and I think it's bullshit people have this toxic questioning attitude if you don't engage in an opinion the way they want you to

I don't care about bringing him up, I think it's some weak attitude that some posters have expectations of others to preface their own posts with that before they can write their opinion on the game

i get what you're saying here (and with the kanye example) - people are of course free to engage art from shitty people, and to an extent, supporting said folks while naming the harm they've helped create (as though you should be given a "pass" for your support, because of the acknowledgment) does feel performative
its also a bit pointless as i wanna say the TOS here says not to go after individuals in these threads for such

for my part, i'd only go after those defending the awful shit - like, years back on gaf you'd have chik-fil-a threads with pretty clear homophobes flaunting their support of the mediocre establishment and its polices/beliefs. i don't know that i've seen many in recent years here trying to defend varva thankfully, though he did have a defense force years back

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Fun game but hard to learn all of the controls. I got the hang of it and played it a ton then dropped it for another game for awhile. Couldn't get back into it when I came back to it.

Birds of Paradise

Enlightened
Sep 20, 2021
For some reasons I thought this was on online game....its actually single player?
Is it still worth playing or better wait for a sequel at this point? I saw it on Playstation Premium.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
i get what you're saying here (and with the kanye example) - people are of course free to engage art from shitty people, and to an extent, supporting said folks while naming the harm they've helped create (as though you should be given a "pass" for your support, because of the acknowledgment) does feel performative
its also a bit pointless as i wanna say the TOS here says not to go after individuals in these threads for such

for my part, i'd only go after those defending the awful shit - like, years back on gaf you'd have chik-fil-a threads with pretty clear homophobes flaunting their support of the mediocre establishment and its polices/beliefs. i don't know that i've seen many in recent years here trying to defend varva thankfully, though he did have a defense force years back
well i do agree with you, it's i just dislike this performative posting on this forum at times, i don't feel it in myself to justify why I like something by prefacing it so i can appease the opinions of others even if may share the same opinion as them on something. to me it adds nothing, it means nothing, and people hitching onto that if you don't is what specifically annoys the hell out of me

even though I don't really like Kanye's music, if someone says they like a song off his latest album or something, i don't expect to read or hear a preface about their views on Kanye himself, and i'm not gonna question someone if they don't do it. it's so annoying

i mean i don't understand why nobody expects posters in a blizzard/activision thread to preface with stuff like "I don't approve of sexual harassment" before they post their opinion about a game despite someone like Bobby Kotick being there at the top, but then expect people to preface stuff when it's a 200 person studio because of its game director. i'm struggling to understand the thought process of some posters where they draw the line. that's why to me it's always comes off as performative

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
22 posts out of 52 replies (including mine) have brought it up and I don't think there's been a KCD thread where it hasn't been mentioned. Ion Fury had the bigotry in the text or at least in the game assets, while most of the bigotry for this game has been mostly outside of the game with this Daniel Vavra chud so that might explain the disparity in responses. Ion Fury also got praise so I don't think it's people excusing it just because of game quality. There might be some people who just don't care or people who have ignored these developers and don't come into every thread about it.
Kingdom Come is a game claiming to be historically accurate while falsely depicting what was an ethnically diverse region of eastern Europe at the time, existing before the concept of "white" identity had metastasized into what it is now. It is an inherently racist white male power fantasy. Not in the traditional VG sense of just being focused on a white male lead who is the hero of the story which is incidentally racist and sexist but instead with what is clearly an intentional whitewashing effort and using subversion of the "hero character" trope as a way to make people take it more seriously than it deserves.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Come is a game claiming to be historically accurate while falsely depicting what was an ethnically diverse region of eastern Europe at the time, existing before the concept of "white" identity had metastasized into what it is now. It is an inherently racist white male power fantasy. Not in the traditional VG sense of just being focused on a white male lead who is the hero of the story which is incidentally racist and sexist but instead with what is clearly an intentional whitewashing effort and using subversion of the "hero character" trope as a way to make people take it more seriously than it deserves.
true, there are not nearly enough germans in the game

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For some reasons I thought this was on online game....its actually single player?
Is it still worth playing or better wait for a sequel at this point? I saw it on Playstation Premium.

play the first one as well, its a good game.

I'm not sure there was anything revealed officially, but there is a reason Embracer bought them and it is not to help start Vávra's political podcast.

there were pictures of them doing performance capture stuff after all the DLC has already been released. They are definitely working on a sequel (or something else).

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ be praised!

I'm glad the game has been a success. There are so few medieval history games out there that take a firmly grounded approach that even just one making it big is great news.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
The expectation that every poster has to preface any opinion about the game ad nausem with stuff like saying Vávra's an asshole is just theatrics at this point. And when someone doesn't, there are posts like "they don't care". If you don't preface anything you say about the game you get such comments. Nobody says you can't bring up the dev, but some posters acting like if you don't preface that with your own discussion/opinionof the game, then it's like an automatic approval of him. It's pretty toxic
Art, media in general and video games in particular are not singular things that exist without context. A game is always linked to those who made it, to the things it depicts, etc. So yes, when you go in to a discussion where a very problematic aspect of the topic is being discussed and you ignore that and just praise the thing itself then that comes off as dismissve of the discussion that is happening around you.

I would absolutely preface every positive discussion about Harry Potter with a BIG disclaimer how I view JKR and would carefully try to align these things in a way that somehow makes sense. And when I get the feeling I can't then maybe I've learned something about how far one can go in separating art from artist.

Which is to say: I won't touch HP with a ten-foot pole now. Similarily, I won't touch anything KC:D or similar stuff where Vavra was involved. Gaming would be better off when he wouldn't be part of this culture anymore. At least until he (convincingly) changes his mind and shows he means it.

GG was not a thing that maybe happened a few years ago and a few people got into a twitter flame war and that was it. This toxic shit destroyed and keeps destroying lives around us. It keeps dwelling in gaming culture and it's the continued resonsibility of the community at large and us here in particular (with what this board represents etc.) to continue to combat it. Mentioning it and acknowledging it is the least we can and should do.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Feeling the need to add an addendum saying the bad thing is bad, is not a bad thing if people do it because they want to acknowledge the bad elephant in the room, because they themselves wouldn't feel right if they were to just praise the product when they know about the bad elephant. If it's to appease the sense that if you don't explicitly denounce it you might be seen by others as not opposing it, there shouldn't be pressure to do that. While there's always something unpleasant about seeing people praise a room housing a bad elephant, people shouldn't assume malice when someone doesn't acknowledge it. Could be ignorance or nuance present.

The ignorance part is why things like Dan Vavra supporting a misogynist anti free speech political cancel culture harassment campaign, should be brought up ad nauseam in perpetuity across the universe. Or until they make amends and redeem themselves, assuming such a thing is possible.

But there's nuance in regards to how people opt to respond to people relevant to the creation of a product being a shitfuck. If you're aware of a bad, buying the product anyway doesn't mean you don't care about the bad, it means that at that point in time you care more about what you might gain from experiencing the product than opposing whatever bad aspect is associated with it.

I acknowledge hypocritical consumption under capitalism, the impossibility of standing against everything, nobody's perfect, self-care, whatever other nuances etc. It's not always some binary thing where if you buy the bad product you're definitely and solely bad. Failing to disengage from it isn't like some eternal condemnation of your soul. Whether from the viewpoint of the general public, or yourself, it can be fine, or you know, not too terrible, maybe you can make up for it elsewhere. But being willing to make a sacrifice for and showing commitment to a just cause, is something people should consider more often, over their own ego. And saving money by not buying a game you want to play is not some enormous sacrifice. Few games are that special.

No one can always do everything, everyone should sometimes do something, is basically where I've arrived at. It is quite a vague slacker motto, allowing me wiggle room for making myself not feel bad for not always doing the right thing or being flaky. But I think it also encourages me to take some kind of action more often and engage better with all the moral philosophy and values stuff. Stuff worth thinking about that I don't know if anyone will ever really fully figure out for themselves. People want things to be black and white, but there's all this luminosity and hue and opacity and shit. ...although sometimes it really is black and white.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but I always assumed this had sold at least 10m

Not that 5m sold isn't impressive, obviously