• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think KH4 comes out?

Votes: 10 2.9%

Votes: 127 36.7%

Votes: 105 30.3%

Votes: 39 11.3%

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • 20XX

Votes: 43 12.4%

• Total voters

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
XT2BVTH.png

I am really curious why Quadratum has Scala language along side English/Japanese.
Makes me curious if there are more people from Sora's world outside of Sora/Strelitzia living in Quadratum.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
XT2BVTH.png

I am really curious why Quadratum has Scala language along side English/Japanese.
Makes me curious if there are more people from Sora's world outside of Sora/Strelitzia living in Quadratum.
My headcanon is Xehanort's dead classmates from Scala are in Quadratum.

It would explain his research into this location, the languages being included, and why these bunch of random characters are people we are suppose to learn about now.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
My headcanon is Xehanort's dead classmates from Scala are in Quadratum.

It would explain his research into this location, the languages being included, and why these bunch of random characters are people we are suppose to learn about now.
That's a good guess. I need to catch up on Dark Road, I stopped after the first chapter or whatever. Is it even playable right now or do I need to wait for it to come back with the final update or something?

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
Are the Dream Eaters mascots from a series of video games in Quadratum the way Yozora is in Toy Box/Realm of Light?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of disappointed Quadratum actually looks 100% realistic instead of the fantasy based in reality aspect it seemed we were gonna get what with the versus inspiration.

It will provide a cool contrast for KH, but just visually it's a bit disappointing. There won't be much that makes it unique visually

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of disappointed Quadratum actually looks 100% realistic instead of the fantasy based in reality aspect it seemed we were gonna get what with the versus inspiration.

It will provide a cool contrast for KH, but just visually it's a bit disappointing. There won't be much that makes it unique visually

To be fair, Quadratum pretty much looks like how Insomnia looked in Versus.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm still kinda impressed with Sora's evolution in the key art:
FQC9Mg-XoAAwcBO

Motherfucker barely looks the same on account of his hairstyle. It's quite different, although it might be the angle. Quite like the design, though, and he definitely looks significantly older. His Quadratum model, on the other hand, eh...

Brown haired KH1 Sora is still king.
KH2 Sora is still my favorite. Such a good design.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Eh, Quadratum has always been displayed as just Tokyo aesthetically in KH so far so I'm not too surprised.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Quadratum is that certain part is quite colorful at night due to various signboards and such, while other parts is really just dark monotone feeling.
SbmhCU5.png

CXOBLyi.png

It's kinda reflected in the KH3 secret movie where the part Sora is in (Shibuya) is quite colorful while the part Riku is in (Shinjuku) is a lot less so.

I am interested to see how this is rendered in the actual in-game during night time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
A thought just occurred to me, Nomura's not young anymore, he's gonna be 52 this year- that's one of the reason why they decided to do FF7R now before any of them retires.

But if he is supposedly starting "Kingdom Hearts: Cosmos in the Lostbelt" now, who is going to take over the series if inevitably continues more than ten years? Unlike FF7, this series is his big baby.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
A thought just occurred to me, Nomura's not young anymore, he's gonna be 52 this year- that's one of the reason why they decided to do FF7R now before any of them retires.

But if he is supposedly starting "Kingdom Hearts: Cosmos in the Lostbelt" now, who is going to take over the series if inevitably continues more than ten years? Unlike FF7, this series is his big baby.

i dont think Nomura is gonna stop working in 10 years, or even 20, honestly..

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017

Tai Yasue

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Nomura doesn't strike me as someone who will stop working one day barring an intense medical issue.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
I feel like Nomura might step aside from directing the series after this arc ends with KH5/6 or whatever and Tai Yasue will take the reigns, but Nomura will definitely at least stick around in a creative producer/scenario writer role as long as the series lasts

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Nomura retiring anytime soon tbh. He might go away from more of the main director role and stay more on the creative director side, but he has already been doing that with FF7R project.

I don't think Nomura has solo-directed game for a long time, as he has co-directors for all of his games nowadays.
Even if Nomura step aside as the main director of KH games, I feel he will still stay on as the creative director and all of the creative decision like character/story are going to be handled by him.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
yeah, like many have expressed. I think Nomura is already slowly taking the back hand in full getting involved in development cycles with co-directing Part 1 and KH3. nowadays, I feel like Nomura is playing the Creative Director role basically overseeing all these projects. Hamaguchi is essentially taking over for Part 2 and I'm assuming Tai Yasue is doing the same for KH4

XT2BVTH.png

what if the Quadratum was the afterlife for all the worlds in Kingdom Hearts lol

Last edited:

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I lovedthe first KH. I even cried on its ending. On the 2nd one. Never finished it, but got through some world that where memorable. Skip all the others. And the one that really got through was the psp one. But didn't payed attention to the story. Started the last one. But never finished it.

Now, I want to know all about this Rex thing, and someone explain it. Don't mind the spoilers!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
I lovedthe first KH. I even cried on its ending. On the 2nd one. Never finished it, but got through some world that where memorable. Skip all the others. And the one that really got through was the psp one. But didn't payed attention to the story. Started the last one. But never finished it.

Now, I want to know all about this Rex thing, and someone explain it. Don't mind the spoilers!

the thing is, explaining KH Lore is basically a thread on its own at least and Nomura has basically ensured that you need to play most if not all of the games (including the mobile ones) to get a gist of the story. since you mentioned having played bits and pieces, I doubt you'd understand anything we explain to you tbh.

but since you wanted to know about Verum Rex, it's essentially a metagame in KH3 World "Toy Box" which looked eerily familiar to the Versus XIII concepts, the game takes place in Quadratum which is now considered to be the afterlife in KH4 after we see Sora and Strelitzia there (characters that are no longer in the plain of existence). the world is inspired by Tokyo.

Last edited:

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
My guess is they just know they have Star Wars and Olympus on lock, but the rest of the world selection is TBD.
KH3 release was 3 years ago already. Pretty sure that they already made a decent world selection. Can't imagine that they didn't even started yet on some worlds after all those years.

And yes KH3 was announced in 2013 but released in 2019. But I like to believe that they have learned from that and aren't going for a 7 year dev cycle this time.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
KH3 release was 3 years ago already. Pretty sure that they already made a decent world selection. Can't imagine that they didn't even started yet on some worlds after all those years.

And yes KH3 was announced in 2013 but released in 2019. But I like to believe that they have learned from that and aren't going for a 7 year dev cycle this time.
I don't think we can assume KH4 entered development immediately after KH3 or even Re:Mind especially as they've confirmed this is now only early in development, in 2022. If it did enter development after Re:Mind I assume it was just the planning phase: so pre-pre-production.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019

additionally, KH3 did a soft reset internally around 2014/15 too after moving from an in-house engine to Unreal 4, so I guess it was more like 5 years.

Last edited:

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017

Nomura said that they are still working on the world selection as of now. Doesn't necessarily mean that the IPs to be used aren't on lock already.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I don't think we can assume KH4 entered development immediately after KH3 or even Re:Mind especially as they've confirmed this is now only early in development, in 2022. If it did enter development after Re:Mind I assume it was just the planning phase: so pre-pre-production.

additionally, KH3 did a soft reset internally around 2015 too after moving from an in-house engine to Unreal 4, so I guess it was more like 5 years.
Surely they have learn from their mistakes and aren't announcing games 5 to 7 years before their initial release date?

When looking at the last 3 to 4 years, aren't their release dates much closer to the first announcement when comparing this to 10 years ago.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
When Nomura says it's very early and we won't be seeing this again for a while that tells me it's the same procedure as usual and this is probably 5 years out from now. 4 if we're lucky.

He said they announced it early to prevent leaks which I think is odd because

a) I mean...it did leak lmao
b) why would it matter, unlike VII Remake this isn't exactly a surprise that at some point there'd be a KHIV in development. Just wait until you have something substantial to show??

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to point out that KH3 went gold at the end of November 2018 so it was done before 2019.

With a Dec 2014 reset to Unreal Engine, it's like 4 years in dev + the preproduction stuff from Luminous days.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Surely they have learn from their mistakes and aren't announcing games 5 to 7 years before their initial release date?

When looking at the last 3 to 4 years, aren't their release dates much closer to the first announcement when comparing this to 10 years ago.
Oh yeah I'm expecting this around 2025, so 3 years after announcement. Its just if people are assuming this started development in 2019 and are therefore expecting this to land more like 2023 then they're going to be disappointed.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
the thing is, explaining KH Lore is basically a thread on its own at least and Nomura has basically ensured that you need to play most if not all of the games (including the mobile ones) to get a gist of the story. since you mentioned having played bits and pieces, I doubt you'd understand anything we explain to you tbh.

but since you wanted to know about Verum Rex, it's essentially a metagame in KH3 World "Toy Box" which looked eerily familiar to the Versus XIII concepts, the game takes place in Quadratum which is now considered to be the afterlife in KH4 after we see Sora and Strelitzia there (characters that are no longer in the plain of existence). the world is inspired by Tokyo.
Good, and thanks a lot for taking the time to explain. Almost how I imagined, there's a thread about worlds they want to see in this new game. And the art looks like a Marvel movie. Even the world. But I'm not going into details. What I loved from the first one and why it me cry, was its focus on friendship. And in that time, it was a struggle I was going through. Also love, love for Kairi. And it hit me so much.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the final boss on ps4 version (1st game) But can't seem to beat him. I've read that I need a powerful magic Sora .

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the "we revealed it early to avoid leaks" quote filled me with dread. I'll just look forward to potentially emulating missing link on my PC...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
We don't even have screens or a teaser of R2, kingdom hearts at least have this teaser.

i dont think this really means anything for their release dates, though. KH4 being revealed "early" makes sense given that its on a significant anniversary + the reveal put a lot more eyes on the mobile game than it would have without.

I personally think that FF7R-2 is coming late 2023/early 2024 with KH4 late 2024/early 2025. FF7R-2 also likely stepping aside until FF16 re-reveal anyway, which should be later this month/later in may considering Yoshi-P's last message. Then maybe we can have the first 7R-2 tease later in the year, probably at some sort of a 35th anniversary FF event.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

If you know, you know
At the end of the very first drakengard game are some universe shattering totallynotinspiredbyberserk stuff you and your dragon get teleported to real life Tokyo. What follows is a rhythm mini game with no tutoria and if you mess up one you have to restart the entire sequence. Did I mention the camera actively trying to fuck you over during this? Oh and if you're dedicated enough to be part of the 1% of people who are amongst the 10 people who played this game and beat this, what follows is you and your dragon get shot down by the military. And that's the ending.

Drakengard is very im14andthisisdeep tier material.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
At the end of the very first drakengard game are some universe shattering totallynotinspiredbyberserk stuff you and your dragon get teleported to real life Tokyo. What follows is a rhythm mini game with no tutoria and if you mess up one you have to restart the entire sequence. Did I mention the camera actively trying to fuck you over during this? Oh and if you're dedicated enough to be part of the 1% of people who are amongst the 10 people who played this game and beat this, what follows is you and your dragon get shot down by the military. And that's the ending.

Drakengard is very im14andthisisdeep tier material.

This sounds something Nomura would write in his teen years lmao

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I wish the art had Ansem the Wise, Dilan, Aeleus, Hayner, Pence, Olette, Yen Sid, old Master Eraqus and the Dark Road characters so that it would be a complete Kingdom Hearts character showcase... But man did Nomura do a fantastic job <3