Votes: 43 12.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pma4vtsxwo1xzr6vio2_500.gifv

all I know is…

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I choose to believe that switching from UE4 to UE5 won't be as much of a hassle as learning UE4 and creating assets from scratch was for the team when they made KH3. Voting 2024 release date with cautious optimism.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I believe in spring 2024.

I think Square Enix is past their major development issues. XVI will be out in the next 12 months with VII Remake-2 and KH4 in late 2023 to spring/mid-2024.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I want to believe this comes out late 2023 or early 2024...but after KH3 development cycle and remembering how long it was from "We're making the world selection right now" untill release of the game, I can't believe we will see this before 2025.

An example:
https://www.khinsider.com/news/New-Kingdom-Hearts-3-Details-from-Dengeki-Playstation-3341

The development process is very enthusiastic and the selection of worlds isn't finalized yet.

This is from 2013...

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
curious with Quadratum seemingly being very big world and important to the story, I can see us spending more time here than the usual worlds.... which makes me wonder if the number of Disney worlds could be a bit smaller than previous games.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
with Forspoken pushed back, FF16 looks more like a 2023 title. FF7R Episode 2 could also be 2023 if 16 is early enough
If they do push XVI it to 2023 then I suspect it would be for marketing purposes rather than development time. IIRC, we got word that both Forspoken and XVI were planned for a 2021 release previously until COVID realities hit. That, combined with Yoshi-P planning the next XVI event in spring after saying he wanted the next reveal to be close to release, really makes me lean toward a winter/holiday 2022 release for XVI.

But, hey, we'll see!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
with Forspoken pushed back, FF16 looks more like a 2023 title.

These two aren't really related. Both were originally scheduled for 2021 before development delays (largely due to COVID).

They said the next XVI showing would be when it was close to release and then they announced a showing for this spring. It's closer than most realize. If it does end up 2023, it'll likely be in the first quarter.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Forspoken October? I think if they can release 16 in December, 2 months gap should be fine I guess.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These two aren't really related. Both were originally scheduled for 2021 before development delays (largely due to COVID).

They said the next XVI showing would be when it was close to release and then they announced a showing for this spring. It's closer than most realize. If it does end up 2023, it'll likely be in the first quarter.
unless the game is coming in the middle of summer, there won't be any time left in 2022 for 16 to release

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping that it's not as early as III was when they announced it, but I'm not confident in that either. Especially since they're already saying they're going to change engines (yes it's just moving "up one" but still that's gonna break stuff and their work is really early)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So one the things I really they do for KH4 is to try and do an overhaul of the whole localization process.
KH in general may not have the best written dialogue as we all know but imo this issue is amplified like 10x more
because of the really bad VA direction.
Take Riku as an example played by David Gallagher, he was quite awful in KH3 but honestly I don't think it's 100% his fault, I've looked up some of his relatively recent permofrmances in other media and he's definitely not that bad.....meaning that something is going horribly wrong with the VA's direction.
And tbf Riku is not the only one, other VAs in KH3 were not that good either but RIku's case obviously sticks out more than the others...

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So one the things I really they do for KH4 is to try and do an overhaul of the whole localization process.
KH in general may not have the best written dialogue as we all know but imo this issue is amplified like 10x more
because of the really bad VA direction.
Take Riku as an example played by David Gallagher, he was quite awful in KH3 but honestly I don't think it's 100% his fault, I've looked up some of his relatively recent permofrmances in other media and he's definitely not that bad.....meaning that something is going horribly wrong with the VA's direction.
And tbf Riku is not the only one, other VAs in KH3 were not that good either but RIku's case obviously sticks out more than the others...
I really don't understand why this happened with KH3 since the voice director seems to be the same?
I even think it's same voice director who did FF7R, and I think FF7R's English VA was received much better than KH3.

Personally I play JP voice version these days so I don't really know much about English voice post-KH2 but some of the clips I saw of KH3 Riku was terrible...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure there will. XVI can absolutely be a November title. Nothing wrong with releasing it a month or so after Forspoken.
that just feels like a vote of no confidence to me. even before Forsoken releases FF16 will consume the oxygen and people will just wait for the "main event"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.......................................................................................................

...no...

No...this is too good to happen>

Like....fucking TWEWY with AAA graphics?

LIke...no...nonononononono, don't bring that hope here.
stripping TWEWY of it's style would be a crime. don't bring that criminal shit here

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
.......................................................................................................

...no...

If they were in quadratum the style would be lost completely and I do not want that, as much as I would love for them to show up. I wanted them to before the reveal of 4 but if they would look like how Sora does in this world then FUCK no

Oct 25, 2017

...no...

Don't know what everybody else on and don't care lol bring them ppl here they made a promise 😭. Reunite with them sora!!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we can assume KH4 entered development immediately after KH3 or even Re:Mind especially as they've confirmed this is now only early in development, in 2022. If it did enter development after Re:Mind I assume it was just the planning phase: so pre-pre-production.
Their language has always been weird. Nomura said KH3 had "a ways to go" back in 2017 which had people thinking the game was still years off but soon after they gave it a 2018 release window (prior to the delay). So "early" isn't quite the pre dev or conceptually stage some seem to believe.

We know in 2020 they were recruiting for their new HD title, and Nomura has stated work began shortly after ReMind. So they should be at least a year into active development.

We were still getting concept art and the Osaka team was still determining worlds in 2014/2015, and didn't get out first in engine "gameplay" until mid 2015. With KH4, they have an established base and in engine "gameplay," and the leaked target date of 2023 (pre COVID). I'm being optimistic but I think there's ample reason to believe 2024 (3-4 year dev cycle) is reasonable.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
It's become a tradition now that when a new KH game is announced (hell I would any SE game for that matter) meme posts start piling up, joking about how may years it's gonna take.

So I think it's a good time to post the following tweet in order to have an overall perspective on how long it actually takes for a KH game to be released.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's become a tradition now that when a new KH game is announced (hell I would any SE game for that matter) meme posts start piling up, joking about how may years it's gonna take.

So I think it's a good time to post the following tweet in order to have an overall perspective on how long it actually takes for a KH game to be released.

When Square Enix shows what is clearly a concept trailer and then straight up says development is still early, past experience generally proves that yes, it's gonna be forever before it releases

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017

KH3 has more depth and scale with its worlds and assets, as well as a restart in a new engine where everything had to be rebuilt instead of there being shared assets and animations, that I'm more than willing to cut it some slack.

SE was hiring for KH4 in 2019 but Covid would have slowed them down during 2020 and into 2021 but that's still 2-3 years total of dev time before the announcement was made.

At least KH4 was announced with a long in-engine trailer that looked good. KH3 was announced with barely anything with a concept that changed (remember when the power of waking was the Key to Return Hearts?)

Hopefully the 2-3 years under its belt will have the length of time between announcement and release closer to KH2.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
When Square Enix shows what is clearly a concept trailer and then straight up says development is still early, past experience generally proves that yes, it's gonna be forever before it releases
Sorry my post wasn't directed at you, it was about those joke posts you see everywhere on twitter like "See you in 2038".
Hell even 2028 is highly unlikely imo, KH4 is not gonna take as much time as time took KH3.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
KH3 has more depth and scale with its worlds and assets, as well as a restart in a new engine where everything had to be rebuilt instead of there being shared assets and animations, that I'm more than willing to cut it some slack.
Now that KH3 got made, they have a base game to iterate on just like when they made the older KH games. Ofc each individual game will take longer than before but not as long as it took to make KH3. Hence them being able to make multiple spinoffs already on top of the main one.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Now that KH3 got made, they have a base game to iterate on just like when they made the older KH games. Ofc each individual game will take longer than before but not as long as it took to make KH3. Hence them being able to make multiple spinoffs already on top of the main one.
Absolutely. Not having to make models for Donald, Goofy, Mickey, the rest of the main cast, items like the Keyblade and other weapons etc. as well as a whole bunch of animations will definitely help. BbS and DDD being able to take things from previous games was no doubt very useful. They're not having to test and develop absolutely everything.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the what the dev team had to go through for KH3 development, changing the engine and learning UE4 while developing the game.

When talking about the switch from Luminous Engine to Unreal Engine 4

Yasue:
"The thing with Unreal Engine 4 is it's really easy to experiment, gameplay-wise. We didn't need any assets to start off, so the game designers that aren't artists at all could actually start to test the game. We had to learn a lot. When we started using Unreal Engine 4, we had these study groups – well, not study groups, but we all sort of… There's a tutorial. I even did that, I made my own robot, a robot that changed shape. We never used it in the game, we were just testing it out. We had contests too, I remember. Each game designer made something, and we sort of compared it. And this had nothing to do with the game, because we had to learn about the engine. That was part of the development timeline, and was something that contributed to and affected the schedule."

Nomura: "It was a whole year that we had to kind of rewind and restart. As a dev tool, Unreal Engine 4 is kind of an all-in-one – it's got all of the stuff that is needed in it, it's used around the world, and we also got really great support from [Epic]. They were very helpful through the entire process. It would have been a different story if the team making Luminous had been members of the Kingdom Hearts team. But they were a different team, so that did make things a bit more difficult."

https://www.kh13.com/news/edge-maga...the-switch-to-unreal-engine-4-and-more-r2799/

KH4 won't have this sort of thing taking up the development time, at least to this extent.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017

...no...

S-E is not going to allow these characters touch any big budget world anytime soon.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the insane amounts of copium here. You have a press release saying it's in early dev. It's a current gen AAA game. It's probably gonna take more than 2 years from EARLY dev to finish.

You're gonna get it in 2025 and you will be happy.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the insane amounts of copium here. You have a press release saying it's in early dev. It's a current gen AAA game. It's probably gonna take more than 2 years from EARLY dev to finish.

You're gonna get it in 2025 and you will be happy.
I don't think there is that much copium. Even the poll mostly says 2024/2025, and I think most of people who say 2024 probably thinks near end of 2024, and probably won't be surprised if it was 2025 either (at least that's how I feel)
I know the English PR says it's early but just because it says early doesn't mean like it started few months ago or anything. We know this game has been in development at least since September 2020, so 2024/25 release doesn't seem that unreasonable.

It's more like people saying 2027/28 onward for release that's just annoying me.