• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you gotten the platinum in any Kingdom Hearts games?

• Yes! All of them!

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • I got a few. Or one.

Votes: 143 25.8%
  • No, but I got all the Secret Endings.

Votes: 115 20.7%
  • LOL.

Votes: 255 45.9%

• Total voters

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
With the plethora of attack options they're giving Sora in this game, I don't see how they can proceed without a 2nd menu.

Also thanks for the reminder that KHIII worlds will be populated w/ NPCs for a change. With this series it's easy to forget that can be a thing.

I'm going to assume that the NPCs will be tied to just one/two screens per world, like how it worked in KH1/KH2. Just with lot more density this time around.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
considering how much bigger the worlds are compared to previous games, I expect to see more 'safe' areas with NPCs walking around compared to previous games. In previous games we had many parts inside the town where heartless appears and fights, so there were no NPCs around. With much bigger world this time around I expect things like the entire explorable part of Kingdom of Corona to be non-fight zone unless there is specific situations where there is fight.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
considering how much bigger the worlds are compared to previous games, I expect to see more 'safe' areas with NPCs walking around compared to previous games. In previous games we had many parts inside the town where heartless appears and fights, so there were no NPCs around. With much bigger world this time around I expect things like the entire explorable part of Kingdom of Corona to be non-fight zone unless there is specific situations where there is fight.

I remember in 2013; Nomura talked about the possibility for NPCs to help in fights. i think -if they were serious- it will be implemented something close to FF13-2 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r955f0OL6Zw 8:00-8:15] other videos -if i remember correctly had NPCs running away too lmao.

regarding 2nd menu, maybe new stuff: limits, changing keyblades on the go, launching Gummi ship with no need to return to Save point, X-trace mechanic, etc....

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like Kingdom Hearts 3 hands-on gameplay may be happening at that KHUX event on the 15th? That or possibly it's a PAX East thing behind closed doors?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Little did we know the constant cuts and screen filling explosive finishers was the normal combat all along! Nomura wanted to spice things up a lil and test something new in preparation for Kingdom Hearts 4.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's not a preview event for fans and I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be talked about.
Yup, I meant the more prominent fans from fansites, channels and such, don't really know what to call them. Youtube personalities? And yeah, no idea what shape this is taking exactly, when and where. That's why the '' ''. Anyhoo hopefully stuff will come out soon enough.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I meant the more prominent fans from fansites, channels and such, don't really know what to call them. Youtube personalities? And yeah, no idea what shape this is taking exactly, when and where. That's why the '' ''. Anyhoo hopefully stuff will come out soon enough.
It's a networking event that is suppose to be low-key.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Little did we know the constant cuts and screen filling explosive finishers was the normal combat all along! Nomura wanted to spice things up a lil and test something new in preparation for Kingdom Hearts 4.

Continuing the strange naming conventions this series has, KH3 has been cancelled and instead KH4 is now in active development.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The GamersJoint dude also announced he is getting hands-on time. Sure hope this is a mistake on Square's part or else these YouTubers will probably get blacklisted.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
DaJANhaVMAEWkXM.jpg:large

Holy crap that's an intense fight.

Also super stoked I got this whole platinum trophy on a single critical file.

This critical run has also really changed my opinion on the game. Easily the best the series has to offer.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! KH2FM is the only platinum I've gotten in the series and it was a ride on Crit.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
ah great there letting those guys go at it, can't wait for the million different videos about every small detail for them to put out after it

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting marketing approach from SE USA. Those KH youtubers are pretty big following from what I have seen over the years and I am sure they will make TONS of videos regarding the gameplay demo experience they have.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
All they can show is either their faces or old footage. Square Enix is not giving anyone the opportunity to capture direct footage for this event, which is dumb considering the whole issue with Terra.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Even without the footage I am sure they can still make tons of videos. They are expert at it. :P

I assume there should be same preview for big media outlets like IGN/gamespot/gameinformer,etc. at the same time. I am sure those guys will be able to capture some footage and show it?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Even without the footage I am sure they can still make tons of videos. They are expert at it. :P
They are more experts at stretching out some pointless detail to 30 minutes so they can get more money for their videos.

I assume there should be same preview for big media outlets like IGN/gamespot/gameinformer,etc. at the same time. I am sure those guys will be able to capture some footage and show it?
AFAIK no one can capture any direct footage.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, is an event just for KH3? or other Square titles like Dragon Quest XI, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, FFVII Remake(*wink*)?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Well those guys keep saying that they got an approval from SE to say it, so I assume it's either ok, or someone from SE fucked up. I guess it's latter.
The Square Enix community reps who would actually be the ones to confirm it are at PAX East. They might have gotten approval face to face, but it's more than likely someone who wasn't suppose to give approval did. I mean, why tell a handful of YouTubers that it's okay to announce their involvement and not every single person and company invited? RSVP hasn't even ended, there's still another two weeks before all attendees have confirmed or rejected their invitation.

I think it's quite clear that I don't think highly of the Youtubers. I personally find their content pointless, exaggerated, over the top, and their personalities just down right annoying. A lot of them time they don't ask permission to use the content written on KHI or KH13, and just spend a video reading what was written. Sometimes they don't even acknowledge that it comes from there, or they use our translations but go to the source to avoid giving proper credit. Plus their voices....

I also found it quite annoying that they are, or at least were, making money from their videos but they recently put up one where they were going to get people to pay for TheGamersJoint's flight and accommodation to E3. Meanwhile I've never been paid for seven years of freelance work in the KH community and have paid for a plane and a weeks accommodation to LA out of my own pocket. No begging required on my part. Seems that idea has been thrown away since he is going to this preview thing, which means he might have been able to afford it all along and just wanted a free ride.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The Square Enix community reps who would actually be the ones to confirm it are at PAX East. They might have gotten approval face to face, but it's more than likely someone who wasn't suppose to give approval did. I mean, why tell a handful of YouTubers that it's okay to announce their involvement and not every single person and company invited? RSVP hasn't even ended, there's still another two weeks before all attendees have confirmed or rejected their invitation.

I think it's quite clear that I don't think highly of the Youtubers. I personally find their content pointless, exaggerated, over the top, and their personalities just down right annoying. A lot of them time they don't ask permission to use the content written on KHI or KH13, and just spend a video reading what was written. Sometimes they don't even acknowledge that it comes from there, or they use our translations but go to the source to avoid giving proper credit. Plus their voices....

I also found it quite annoying that they are, or at least were, making money from their videos but they recently put up one where they were going to get people to pay for TheGamersJoint's flight and accommodation to E3. Meanwhile I've never been paid for seven years of freelance work in the KH community and have paid for a plane and a weeks accommodation to LA out of my own pocket. No begging required on my part. Seems that idea has been thrown away since he is going to this preview thing, which means he might have been able to afford it all along and just wanted a free ride.
Haha I feel you. I am not too against them making videos off KH3 info but they do sometimes make stupid stuff imo that confuses the fanbase...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Haha I feel you. I am not too against them making videos off KH3 info but they do sometimes make stupid stuff imo that confuses the fanbase...
That whole circle jerk of videos from them about how each KH3 world is the length of one KH game (20-30 hours) was one of the worst cases of misinformation I've seen from them. It's usually small mistakes but yikes, I don't think they've rectified that one.

YouTube news videos are tricky because misinformation and corrections can not easily be made so they really should try and be as accurate as possible instead of trying to be first to throw a 20 minute video up about things.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
That whole circle jerk of videos from them about how each KH3 world is the length of one KH game (20-30 hours) was one of the worst cases of misinformation I've seen from them. It's usually small mistakes but yikes, I don't think they've rectified that one.

YouTube news videos are tricky because misinformation and corrections can not easily be made so they really should try and be as accurate as possible instead of trying to be first to throw a 20 minute video up about things.
I said this on my twitter as well but the amount of fuss going around with that game size shit was fucking stupid. So many people asking me about it too lol. The problem with these youtubers is that they often go off of Japanese interviews/comments that are translated from various people without fully understanding the context and report on it on their video, and it's frustrating to see how community reacts on it.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I occasionally do videos on recent KH news. Typically it's larger roundup videos and not the stretched out nonsense. I make sure to actually acknowledge where things come from and properly source the whole thing. I have found it suspect when they guys leave all the info in the video and nothing in the description. It's bad form.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I find it odd that the three seemed to be at PAX East and then this popped up at the same time.

I'm under the assumption this is probably a closed door press thing kept on the downlow (probably where they can talk about footage when a embargo goes up), but the way they worded it gives off the impression that those three are the first to get to play KH3, when I think it's more of a press event that they happened to be invited to, along with being aware of the audience those three carry so using them as part of marketing by going to the event and talking about it when the press can.
All they can show is either their faces or old footage. Square Enix is not giving anyone the opportunity to capture direct footage for this event, which is dumb considering the whole issue with Terra.
What was the issue with Terra out of curiosity?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I can sort of understand why SE is doing that. The E3 demo will obviously not reflect the final game's visuals/performance. If they allow actual capture for the footage, there will be many people analyzing every little details, sites like DF testing the framerate and fans could panic. With off-screen footage it's a lot harder to judge the details.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's too bad if they're talking about new stuff and just rolling out old trailer footage talking over that, but I do get your point. Suppose it depends on what they're actually playing.

That Terra thing definitely was notable though. I remember folks making a big deal out of it even when it was generally assumed that the models would be improved in later builds and by release anyway. I think it even got boughtup with Nomura in a interview at one point pre-release from what I recall.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
That Terra thing definitely was notable though. I remember folks making a big deal out of it even when it was generally assumed that the models would be improved in later builds and by release anyway. I think it even got boughtup with Nomura in a interview at one point pre-release from what I recall.
Unfortunately most people doesn't assume it these days, especially in a world of downgrades.. That's why people panic even in early development footages..

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It'll be interesting to compare DQ11 JP and western releases and 0.2 and KH3 to see if there are similarities in the evolution of their tech side since SE claimed DQ was almost remaster tier due to engine updates. At first it definately sounds like hyperbole but Epic has been on a roll optimizing Fortnite (and supposedly UE4 by extension) like crazy these past months. It def would be good to see both hit native 1080p on base PS4 for without performance hit for example.

I suppose Battle Royale craze isn't all that bad, huh?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have seen of the Western DQ footage it does seem a bit of hyperbole. I haven't played the JP version myself but judging from the promotion materials I have seen in the past it seems mostly same... probably just little additional details and better optimization I guess? Would be interesting to see if it now runs 1080P on base version... From what I remember the framerate was mostly solid 30fps?

For KH3 it's quite obvious the visuals are better than 0.2, but it's probably due to more time to polish stuff as well. I am curious if KH3 will have frame pacing issues that 0.2. had, and if they will keep it unlocked on PS4 Pro...

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
From what I have seen of the Western DQ footage it does seem a bit of hyperbole. I haven't played the JP version myself but judging from the promotion materials I have seen in the past it seems mostly same... probably just little additional details and better optimization I guess? Would be interesting to see if it now runs 1080P on base version... From what I remember the framerate was mostly solid 30fps?

For KH3 it's quite obvious the visuals are better than 0.2, but it's probably due to more time to polish stuff as well. I am curious if KH3 will have frame pacing issues that 0.2. had, and if they will keep it unlocked on PS4 Pro...
The assets are of course the same so the most obvious way to see tech and visual improvement due to engine optimization would be resolution bump or framerate changes.

I still hope KH3 ships with 0.2 running on a more modern engine and containing some KH3 improvements and tweaks.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The assets are of course the same so the most obvious way to see tech and visual improvement due to engine optimization would be resolution bump or framerate changes.

I still hope KH3 ships with 0.2 running on a more modern engine and containing some KH3 improvements and tweaks.
yeah the DF video mentions that the framerate is very stable 30fps without any framefacing issues. I doubt they will do 60fps considering this is turn based RPG, I assume the obvious improvement will be on the resolution area.

As for 0.2 I doubt they will ship it in KH3. Would love that to happen, or they can update the current version but that's even less likely to happen.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately most people doesn't assume it these days, especially in a world of downgrades.. That's why people panic even in early development footages..
Yeah that's a good point. I completely forgot about what happens when it comes to other software usually now.
It'll be interesting to compare DQ11 JP and western releases and 0.2 and KH3 to see if there are similarities in the evolution of their tech side since SE claimed DQ was almost remaster tier due to engine updates. At first it definately sounds like hyperbole but Epic has been on a roll optimizing Fortnite (and supposedly UE4 by extension) like crazy these past months. It def would be good to see both hit native 1080p on base PS4 for without performance hit for example.
What I wouldn't give for KH3 to run decent on my base PS4.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
placeholder_image.svg

Holy crap that's an intense fight.

Also super stoked I got this whole platinum trophy on a single critical file.

This critical run has also really changed my opinion on the game. Easily the best the series has to offer.

Congrats!! Beating him on Crit is no joke, and probably the highlight of a Crit run :]

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I can sort of understand why SE is doing that. The E3 demo will obviously not reflect the final game's visuals/performance. If they allow actual capture for the footage, there will be many people analyzing every little details, sites like DF testing the framerate and fans could panic. With off-screen footage it's a lot harder to judge the details.
I'd much rather people analysing direct feed footage and whatnot as opposed to crying that the game looks awful just because it's off screen.

I suppose Battle Royale craze isn't all that bad, huh?
I missed that Unreal Engine 4 has gotten extensive upgrades. It makes sense though. Anything that can really benefit KH3?

KH3 already has had like 4 times the amount of development time compared to 0.2 so it should run fine, but of course anything further is greatly appreciated. 0.2 just needed a bit more optimisation. There was no reason for it to be 900p outside of a short development time. Square Enix managed to get Final Fantasy XV looking and running gorgeously on base PS4, I'd expect the same from Kingdom Hearts 3 and Unreal Engine 4.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The worry I have is that KH3 could still have frame pacing issues that 0.2 had, and also unlocked framerate for PS4 Pro. I would much prefer if they gave option to lock the framerate to solid 30fps for PS4 rather than 4~45fps that 0.2 had on Pro..

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they just go the XV route and have a "steady" framerate option for people who don't like unlocked framerates on PS4 Pro.