• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you gotten the platinum in any Kingdom Hearts games?

• Yes! All of them!

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • I got a few. Or one.

Votes: 143 25.8%
  • No, but I got all the Secret Endings.

Votes: 115 20.8%
  • LOL.

Votes: 254 45.8%

• Total voters

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
As much as I think Days deserves a much better game, I also know that its mission format and world selection are pretty boring and they would have to expand the game a lot to make it interesting after KHIII. And at that point, just work on an all new KH game instead

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I only recently found out the approximate ages of the Wayfinder Trio and I'm kinda shookt with Aqua and Terra because I always assumed Aqua was older. (Nomura said Ven is around 16, Aqua around 18, and Terra around 20)

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Really close to dropping KH2 over this first boss fight in The World That Never Was. I'm on Critical and have had no real issue with any bosses to this point but I'm not even close with this one. Feels like an absurd difficulty spike. Also why the hell do we have to run through Fragment Crossing every damn time, just adds to the frustration. Wanted to finish it before starting KH3, but eh, story recaps should fill me in I guess.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Really close to dropping KH2 over this first boss fight in The World That Never Was. I'm on Critical and have had no real issue with any bosses to this point but I'm not even close with this one. Feels like an absurd difficulty spike. Also why the hell do we have to run through Fragment Crossing every damn time, just adds to the frustration. Wanted to finish it before starting KH3, but eh, story recaps should fill me in I guess.

if you're only on KH2 you have a TON of story between that and KH3...

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone found better versions of the OST?

My new favourite is the final boss theme. It's so dramatic and beautiful.

I'm at the point where this game's ost is challenging Chrono Cross for my favourite soundtrack ever. The quality and emotional baggage of the arrangements is incredible.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've got that "I don't know when to start" feeling with Kingdom Hearts 1.

I know that once I start I'm in for a long ride but I can never find the right time to start it.

How long's the intro because I might just start it now and get it over with.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've got that "I don't know when to start" feeling with Kingdom Hearts 1.

I know that once I start I'm in for a long ride but I can never find the right time to start it.

How long's the intro because I might just start it now and get it over with.

The intro in Destiny Islands takes about an hour.

tenor.gif

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3289...r-says-nintendo-is-reviving-an-officially-can

Next up, Khan moves onto the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Will we ever see Sora and the gang come to Switch? Here's what Khan has to say.

- Kingdom Hearts III is looking unlikely
- the HD re-releases might be more feasible
- Nintendo and Square Enix were talking about what they could do with Kingdom Hearts III
- it was deemed unfeasible to get Kingdom Hearts III on the Switch
- the game is "very demanding" and "not necessarily you can put out without paring it down a lot"
- Khan's unsure if the remasters are "actively being worked on"
- he believes "that's probably where they settled on it

Not having 3 on Switch doesn't bother me much, but my lord 1.5+2.5 running well on a Switch would be godlike. Really hope it endsup happening.
If they can't get 3 happening who knows, might endup getting a inbetween 3 and 4 game like the gap between 1 and 2 with CoM. I can't really think of any other platforms other than mobile (not counting Union X) that they could do one on unless they choose to do 3 story DLC instead.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3289...r-says-nintendo-is-reviving-an-officially-can

Not having 3 on Switch doesn't bother me much, but my lord 1.5+2.5 running well on a Switch would be godlike. Really hope it endsup happening.
If they can't get 3 happening who knows, might endup getting a inbetween 3 and 4 game like the gap between 1 and 2 with CoM. I can't really think of any other platforms other than mobile (not counting Union X) that they could do one on unless they choose to do 3 story DLC instead.

I predict Project HAMMER

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

The article doesn't provide a source but this was discussed on Kinda Funny Games Daily, in case anyone was wondering.

SE and especially Nomura have learned their lesson about splitting up the Xehanort saga across so many different systems and not naming games properly (BBS not being KH0 for example), and these were big reasons why the remasters were created. I can't imagine they'll repeat those mistakes going into the next saga. If they can't get KH3 on the Switch, especially now that it's kinda set the precedent where this quality of product is what will be expected for future titles, idk if there's a chance it'll get future games that have any bearing on the story.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Even a Switch game at the level of a not-too-pared-down KH game would easily be a 3-4+ year commitment to develop if they weren't taking any shortcuts and aimed at a visual quality above Dream Drop Distance. And it'd require a big team. Switch ain't a DS or even a 3DS anymore. I don't think anyone wants Osaka to waste 3-4 years on a midquel

I'm fairly doubtful we'll ever get back into any kind of midquel filled release schedule. Even a single one is such a big time commitment if it was to push the hardware nowadays, let alone doing several. Nah, I think KHIII DLC will do some more lore that ties into KHIV/future storylines (IF there is anything story-related in them and it's not all just mostly extra bosses & explorable areas) and much like it's been doing up to this point, Kingdom Hearts UX will continue developing & setting up post-KHIII storylines for the foreseeable future while Osaka readies up to the development & finishes the development of KHIV. The mobile game doesn't take away much resources and almost everyone nowadays has a phone so fewer people can be all "but I can't be buying 7 platforms just to be caught up with a single gaming franchise's story." And then they can just release a 12 minute recap video for those who can't be bothered with gacha BS and years-long story-dripfeeding.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure if already posted, but it seems datamining has begun on the game, and someone found that critical mode is in the game.

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The Osaka team is hardly the only one that develops KH games. There's no reason not to have other games, and it would be really disappointing if the series moved straight into KH4.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The Osaka team is hardly the only one that develops KH games. There's no reason not to have other games, and it would be really disappointing if the series moved straight into KH4.
Other than the Osaka team, it's pretty much been the original team (which have since pretty much disbanded over the last 13 years due to division shake ups, retirements, etc?) and H.A.N.D.

Do the latter have experience outside of DS games? I don't think I've seen anything from them in a long time.

Other than that, I'm not sure what company Nomura would trust to make a KH game, especially with a lot of outsourcing problems with his game. They also have Osaka right there so I don't see the problem with them making another game, namely KH4.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if already posted, but it seems datamining has begun on the game, and someone found that critical mode is in the game.

Image is kinda spoilery.

Asides from that I imagine it's something that wasn't fully balanced and probably left over from early builds.

The data miner seems to be guessing as much that it's probably leftover from 0.2.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I recently beat that on critical(not level 1). I wasn't high enough level to have the skills that save you(I think I was 42-44 not too sure anymore) and leave you at 1 hp yet and I couldn't pull of the looping strat where you manipulate the AI to behave to your will. In the end what made the fight waaaaaaay more managable is using decisive pumpkin keyblade equip all the combo plus skills you have I purposely did not have the bad skills mentioned in the bizkit047 video equipped. With that setup I think you only need to land 5-6 full combos on the boss.

Now the tricky thing will be getting those openings. The first one is easy since you just guard at the very start of the fight and then instant slide into a full combo. Right after that full combo I ran away as best as I could and usually the boss goes into a combo that ends with a charge and you want to be near enough that while dodging it to go into your next full combo. After that the boss becomes really annoying. The easy phase is when he goes into the middle to cast orbs just move towards the edge of the arena and while doing that spam roll nothing should hit you. He then continues to do these ground combos with light pillars around him and I failed a lot trying to find an opening there(cause I feel like I've seen someone guard through that or counter attack in a way to punish but I couldn't figure it out for me he was always coming out on top when I tried to find an opening during those light pillar attacks) what worked for me in the end was actually always just running away with dodge roll/fast run(the wisdom form movement thing) and be patient until he does the attack from the very beginning of the fight(I think it's depending on how close you are to him highest chance to trigger it is being closish midrange). This last phase was basically all about patience for me and he looped through a couple of mid arena orb casts and ground combos with light pillars for me until he did the beginning attack 3-4 times more.

I'm sure someone else might have better more detailed advice I'm making my way through the game the first time but that strat I described worked ok for me cause you can somewhat easily survive through most of it with running away and even if you get hit sometimes you can often heal just be careful after to run away long enough to have mp recover. I died to him around 15 times I think until I figured it out so yeah dude is rough don't give up!
-------------------
I was kind of enjoying KH1 FM but also not really(it was a consistent mixed bag with great things being really great at bad things being very annoying). KH2 FM turned out to be a huge step up for that franchise and I've been amazed how great to play it is, glad I decided to play on critical too cause it forces me too actually learn all these great org 13 boss fights. I'm someone that dropped these games on ps2 cause the camera was insufferable but coming back to it on ps4 it was way better and I'm happy that it helped enough for me to actually get to the point to appreciate kh2 FM. On a gameplay level I feel this is probably one of the best action rpgs I've played so far.

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the Osaka team, it's pretty much been the original team (which have since pretty much disbanded over the last 13 years due to division shake ups, retirements, etc?) and H.A.N.D.

Do the latter have experience outside of DS games? I don't think I've seen anything from them in a long time.

Other than that, I'm not sure what company Nomura would trust to make a KH game, especially with a lot of outsourcing problems with his game. They also have Osaka right there so I don't see the problem with them making another game, namely KH4.
H.A.N.D still releases games. They don't have a ton of current gen stuff, but they worked on PS4 and Switch games.

Jupiter also worked on CoM. Not that I particularly expect Jupiter to make another Kingdom Hearts game anytime soon, but both Jupiter and H.A.N.D pretty much came out of nowhere to work on the series. I wouldn't be that surprising if something like that happened again. Obviously, the Osaka team would be working on their own game at the same time. With Kingdom Hearts 3 proving the series is more popular and ever, and
fan favorite characters being active in the series again,
it would be nonsensical to only make a single game that's totally focused on Sora.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Having just finished Kingdom Hearts 2 on a play through of the series before 3, I have a question.

Does 3 have the same utterly awful system from 2 where bosses essentially have infinite health because their last 1 HP can only be damaged by a combo finisher rather than regular attacks?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka team is nowadays considered _THE_ KH Team and they ARE the only one developing console KH games (home or portable) at the moment. Whatever is left of the original one that made KH1 & 2 move with Nomura from project to project, I think (at least did with Versus XIII, not sure if they are still with Nomura on FFVII Remake). Jupiter (GBA Chain of Memories) is nowadays a Picross developing machine (IIRC, I think duckroll or someone mentioned that Square Enix basically poached everyone who worked on The World Ends With You to work for SQEX after its release, so the people who made KH :CoM for GBA are probably at SQEX already) and h.a.n.d. is a company that either develops smaller games (especially during the DS era) or only support the development of bigger ones in some capacity. I don't think they have the capacity to handle the core development of a current gen level game. And so far, SQEX has kept the development of KH games that matter (outside of GBA CoM) as in-house projects. They don't have the workforce to work on two console KH games simultaneously (even if one of them is "just" a Switch game). Even during the PSP & 3DS days, they only had one big KH game under development at once and the two other games were throwaway DS games that probably had, like, 1/10th of the budget & scope, if that.

Kingdom Hearts is a somewhat established franchise and they have some pretty strict ideas of what the games should be like in some fronts. They don't want to hand the bigger games to just anyone. Even Osaka Team only got to their position because Nomura was so pleased with their work on Re:Chain of Memories and even then the Osaka Team was assigned a bit smaller scale spin-off games at first while Nomura was still holding on to the idea that the OG KH Team would return to the franchise with KHIII after Versus XIII. It wasn't until around/after DDD's release that they "officially" upgraded Osaka team to be THE KH Team, who are entrusted with the future of KH for the foreseeable future.

So the only option left is outsourcing, because it's doubtful they'd waste the Osaka Team's time with spin-offs that take 3-4+ years to develop (no matter how important to the overall storyline), but SQEX isn't about to hand over the more important, bigger KH games to just anyone. h.a.n.d. isn't big enough to handle the core development of a mainline level KH game. Maybe Platinum Games but I imagine SQEX (& Disney) don't necessarily think that they are a good fit for KH. They found success with NieR Automata and I imagine they want to keep doing those kinds of more "mature"/darker collaborations with PG rather than putting them on a more kid-friendly franchise like KH.

And we aren't moving straight to KHIV. We've got the LOVELY mobile game that is pushing forward with the narrative that will eventually make the basis of what we have to deal with KHIV (and is already pretty heavily into setting that up).

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The article doesn't provide a source but this was discussed on Kinda Funny Games Daily, in case anyone was wondering.

SE and especially Nomura have learned their lesson about splitting up the Xehanort saga across so many different systems and not naming games properly (BBS not being KH0 for example), and these were big reasons why the remasters were created. I can't imagine they'll repeat those mistakes going into the next saga. If they can't get KH3 on the Switch, especially now that it's kinda set the precedent where this quality of product is what will be expected for future titles, idk if there's a chance it'll get future games that have any bearing on the story.

I feel like the games were created in such a weird way because they probably had no idea how long it would stretch out or if they would just stop making games at some point.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the games were created in such a weird way because they probably had no idea how long it would stretch out or if they would just stop making games at some point.
It's a combination of many things.

1) Nomura did have some story beats he wanted to explore between KHII & KHIII. Ones that were more disconnected than 1 -> CoM -> 2, so he had to figure out how he could tell all those stories. There's really no way to connect BBS & ReCoded within a single game in a working manner, so they made them separate games since DS was still the level of hardware that could get quick projects like ReCoded by a fairly small team while Osaka focused on a bigger PS2esque BBS.
2) SQEX made a decision around then that they'd aim to release at least one game in their most popular franchises per year (FF, DQ and KH).
3) Nintendo literally asked for a KH game for the supermassively popular DS, which lead to Days, maybe partly ReCoded too though I feel that was also partly that aim of wanting to release one KH per year and partly because they wanted to release Coded outside Japan in some form and the DS remake was the smallest effort way they could do it (in video game form)..
4) the wait for KHIII was stretching longer & longer and as a way to fill in the wait for it, they just kind of kept piling on these KH sidestories, until they came to the realization after BBS & ReCoded's release (and them somewhat flopping outside Japan due to PSP dying and DS was probably affected by ease of piracy a lot) that they really need to bring the franchise back to home consoles.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And we aren't moving straight to KHIV. We've got the LOVELY mobile game that is pushing forward with the narrative that will eventually make the basis of what we have to deal with KHIV (and is already pretty heavily into setting that up).

Yeah I can see this happening where Union X, and the subsequent follow-ups, takes the place of those in-between games where Nomura has that bit of freedom to push more ideas or stories. (And it's already happening, like you said) I'm not expecting mid-quel games in the vein of DDD or BBS to be made this time in the prelude to KHIV.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
There's quite a few new Amano art of Ephemer, Skuld, Chirithy and a few of the Foretellers. No idea why he decided to go with Mickey and friends for the other colored page lol

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
After beating 3, I really want to go back and play DDD. I'm torn between finding a used copy for my 3DS or buying 2.8 on ps4. I've already watched back cover on you tube. Is the remaster a much better way to play that game? Or is the 3DS version fine?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That still does not fix the biggest problem.

That being that Xehanort is the primary cause of all of it.

So it remains fuck that guy and unsatisfying cause he definitely doesn't get his due comeuppance

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got that KHFM plat. Now to move on to Chain of Memories. This one should be fun lol.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Uuuuuuuh, UX has completely lost me after that update.
I though the games took place jn the Dream World, hence the Chirithy. Okay I know, Ven's appeared in the real world at the end of KH3, but still. UX being a data world makes no fucking sense, especially considering Malificent and how she was trapped.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They lost me around the Riku Haircut portion, I uh think its a tad too much.
However the Secret Ending along with UX being almost confirmed to be a Data Worldline does suggest that the MoM Saga will take place in the one true Worldline and that the series so far has been taking place in a Worldine that has served its purpose.