• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wait that's how the Organization members come back? That's incredibly stupid. And really....time-travel? Is that what DDD is about? I'm in for some bullshit...
The Org members become complete humans again after their Heartless & Nobody forms are both beaten. Not really all that horrible a concept considering how Heartless & Nobodies are born in the first place.

And the time-travel is more about Xehanort kind of picking up all his different forms from different points of time to gather in the now for the final clash between the 13 darknesses & 7 lights, less about just flying through time will-nilly. It has some pretty strict limitations & rules.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ive heard someone else around here claim that KH1's better story pacing was due to this guy, and after he left the stories began to get more convoluted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Akiyama_(video_game_designer)
Most likely (that and the higher amount of restrictions from Disney / being a single entry that doesn't have to stretch itself). He's also why the cutscenes in the first game are by far the best :P

I'm actually super surprised they didn't get Akiyama back for KH3, seeing as he was working with Nomura on Versus XIII, but he might be on VIIR instead (or the super secret XVI team).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the trailer full-screen. No idea how I missed the playable Riku part when I watched it this morning.

Also, the fact they're showing Riku doing a big sacrifice moment in this trailer makes it pretty clear it's not going to kill him.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Finally watched the trailer full-screen. No idea how I missed the playable Riku part when I watched it this morning.

Also, the fact they're showing Riku doing a big sacrifice moment in this trailer makes it pretty clear it's not going to kill him.
please

even if he dies, Sora can just bring him back

because that's how it works with this series

in fact, wouldn't be surprised if one of the stumbling blocks on Sora's road to victory is that he starts searching for a way to bring everyone back and it ends up playing right into Xehanort's plans

only for the power of friendship to come through at the last minute

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Damn, haven't played any titles since KHII (and not interested in playing any outside the original "trilogy") but I may have to bite on this. What a great trailer

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, both of the Nintendo DS/3DS KH games feel kind of like they didn't need to exist. Days feels almost completely vestigial, and 3D feels like it was basically made by decree because the 3DS was super popular and not because Nomura and the team actually had a story they needed to tell.

Chain of Memories is a little different in that its story very, very clearly links up with KH2, but you could erase Days from the timeline entirely and lose nothing, and DDD's only real contributions to the overall story are insane convolutions that only make it worse.
How could you forget 'worlds most important and memorable game' Re:coded on the DS? HOW!?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Wouldn't that make him a nobody? lol
No, because in this series

Heartless = what you turn into when you lose your heart, but that is actually your heart
Nobody = a body that has no heart that is left behind when you lose your heart, but only when the plot demands it

It's fucking stupid

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Heartless = what you turn into when you lose your heart, but that is actually your heart
Nobody = a body that has no heart that is left behind when you lose your heart, but only when the plot demands it

It's fucking stupid

Heartless never actually look like the hearts of those they're from though IIRC while Nobodies that look like actual people do look like their original selves (strong hearts). Clayton still looked like himself, so if he did lose his heart and a heartless was made for him, then the being that looks like him would be a nobody.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

It's fucking stupid

Everybody has a Nobody in the form of a dusk. Those with strong hearts can only become the Nobodies we know with their human forms. That's explained early on in KH II.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

It's fucking stupid

I thought it was only particularly strong hearts that got a nobody/got a nobody that looked like them.

Otherwise you're stuck with a dusk, and you're gonna like it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sora is the most happy go lucky guy around and the saddest we've seen him is when he sheds a tear or two. Him screaming in agony hurts my soul.

If I'm remembering right, Sora gets really pissed in CoM. It's so weird seeing him not be goofy/happy go lucky, but it's also such a nice change of pace. I like Sora, but because of his nature, he's like the least interesting playable character in the series.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Heartless never actually look like the hearts of those they're from though IIRC while Nobodies that look like actual people do look like their original selves. Clayton still looked like himself, so if he did lose his heart and a heartless was made for him, then the being that looks like him would be a nobody.
Nobodies are created only if the person has a strong hearts. Nobodies like those in the Organization are made from particularly strong-hearted people. Clayton never became a heartless or nobody, he was just a dick who lost himself to darkness.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm remembering right, Sora gets really pissed in CoM. It's so weird seeing him not be goofy/happy go lucky, but it's also such a nice change of pace. I like Sora, but because of his nature, he's like the least interesting playable character in the series.

Yup. Sora goes berserk a couple times in Chain of Memories, and again in KH2 after Goofy gets rocked.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah Sora gets really pissy in CoM due to his memories being distorted but we've never seen him overly upset like in this trailer. They hinted at it in DDD that he eventually would breakdown.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I just finished replaying Sora's Re:CoM earlier today. That game is really scary. It's like existentialist crisis the game. Slowly going from floor to floor, watching Sora slowly lose his memories and have them replaced, resulting in him changing from goofy and friendly to angry and a jerk is all sorts of messed up. That scene before Destiny Islands where he completely abandons Goofy and Donald in anger to go after Namine is haunting.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seens Square didn't even called Hayden to voice Kairi. Don't know why is that.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished replaying Sora's Re:CoM earlier today. That game is really scary. It's like existentialist crisis the game. Slowly going from floor to floor, watching Sora slowly lose his memories and have them replaced, resulting in him changing from goofy and friendly to angry and a jerk is all sorts of messed up. That scene before Destiny Islands where he completely abandons Goofy and Donald in anger to go after Namine is haunting.
Yup. Sora goes berserk a couple times in Chain of Memories, and again in KH2 after Goofy gets rocked.
Yeah Sora gets really pissy in CoM due to his memories being distorted but we've never seen him overly upset like in this trailer. They hinted at it in DDD that he eventually would breakdown.

Riiiight. I think I rewatched the cutscenes for it just after replaying 3D, and it was shocking how different he was. 3D might be my least favorite rendition of him from what I played though, so that might partly account for it.

I kind of hated the gameplay in CoM, but the actual story is really neat and interesting to me. Seeing Sora slowly get fucked up as time went on was a trip.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Riiiight. I think I rewatched the cutscenes for it just after replaying 3D, and it was shocking how different he was. 3D might be my least favorite rendition of him though from what I played though, so that might partly account for it.

I kind of hated the gameplay in CoM, but the actual story is really neat and interesting to me. Seeing Sora slowly get fucked up as time went on was a trip.

KH3D Sora is pretty much a total roll-back from KH2 Sora. Any character growth he did have in 2 is completely erased in favor of making him into total Golden Retriever Sora.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
KH3 will end with Sora forgiving Young Xehanort, and the two of them will hold hands and walk into Kingdom Hearts together and the screen will fill with light.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Good trailer, but why is SE strict on spoilers getting out, when their trailers spoil the game?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
KH3D Sora is pretty much a total roll-back from KH2 Sora. Any character growth he did have in 2 is completely erased in favor of making him into total Golden Retriever Sora.
I mean, that was also the case with KH2 Sora. All the growth he made in 1 (and CoM, I guess) was completely thrown out the window in favor of making him a generic shonen anime protagonist with the mindset of a five-year-old and a bizarre murder vendetta against some black cloaked people he hardly even knows.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Sora doesn't really ever grow as a character beyond basic shonen hero ways.

3D didn't roll back any character development he had made just made him slightly more one-dimensional and even then he's never been particular deep so it's hardly noticeable.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean, that was also the case with KH2 Sora. All the growth he made in 1 (and CoM, I guess) was completely thrown out the window in favor of making him a generic shonen anime protagonist with the mindset of a five-year-old and a bizarre murder vendetta against some black cloaked people he hardly even knows.

COM is justified. He forgot everything there.

Sora doesn't really have a real arc in KH I though.

He just asks less mature in KH II. That's about it.

Most frustrations about Sora post-Com is that he acts more immature but that's not rolling back his development because his development hasn't really been about him becoming a more mature person.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ive heard someone else around here claim that KH1's better story pacing was due to this guy, and after he left the stories began to get more convoluted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Akiyama_(video_game_designer)
I don't think this is really true. Akiyama is a fantastic event director and his cutscenes are always very exciting and dynamic, but as far as story pace and narrative goes, it's not really that much influenced by the direction of cutscenes. Akiyama's role is akin to that of a cinematographer (or Director of Photography) in a film. So he influences the camerawork, how a scene looks, and sometimes how dialogue is edited together, but overall the bulk of the story, pacing, actual script, etc are created by Nomura and his main writing team. KH became more convoluted and insane because Disney trusted the team to do more with the Disney properties and gave them more and more freedom with less direct oversight. Not because Akiyama "left".