• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingdom Hearts or Kingdom Hearts II?

• KH

Votes: 149 29.3%
  • KH2

Votes: 359 70.7%

• Total voters

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
After just finishing KH2 Final Mix for the third time and having replayed KH three times as well I can definitely say I enjoy the first game in the series over the second. I love both games though. But by a hair I enjoy KH1 more.

Things KH1 is better at:
Story
Level Design
Character development
Pacing

KH 2:
Combat and movement
Gummi Ship (LOL)
Post game movie (GOAT)

Haven't played anything after what's in 2.5 HD remix but I look forward to starting 0.2 and then KH3.

Between the first two main titles which do you like better?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Movement in kh 1 is actually terrible. It's a good game in other regards but kh 1 likes to think it's a platformer at points and it's just not. Kh2 all the way.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The cutscenes in KH1 are also waaaay better (and the Colosseum doesn't suck!).

Really difficult to say though. I vastly prefer KH1 to the original release of KH2, but KH2FM is absurdly good in terms of gameplay. I still care about KH1 more, but I can't call it a better game.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I couldn't disagree anymore than I already do, Kingdom Hearts 2 is much better.
full

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
KH2 is superior in every aspect aside from Disney representation.

KH1 is a good and fun game, but KH2 is the pinnacle of KH as a whole.

A Wild Shark Appears

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
I enjoy them both but between the two it's KH2. It's true that its level design is bland, and its story much more convoluted. On critical however, the combat truly shines turning KH2 into one of the best ARPGS of all time imo.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is an awful game filled with dreadful "platforming" and generally horrendous level design.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 1 has better level design? Have you somehow skipped Monstro and Deep Jungle?

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I played the original PS2 versions of both and not any of the rereleases. I prefer KH1. The story makes a bit more sense, and though the combat is clunkier, I enjoyed it much more than KH2's. KH2 did have superior Gummi Ship stuff and a lovely ending, and a few of the worlds were great (Space Paranoids, Pride Lands), but KH had better worlds overall and was not yet bogged down by too much lore.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Anyone else felt Sora was laughably OP in OG KH2? On the hardest mode I still felt like a god.

Only time I died was when I wanted to use Mickey.

KH1 had enemies that would just fuck you up on the hardest mode.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
You have so many cool environmental interactions and things to find in Traverse Town, Wonderland, Hollow Bastion, etc.
Anyone else felt Sora was laughably OP in OG KH2. On the hardest mode I still felt like a god.

Only time I died was when I wanted to use Mickey.

KH1 had enemies that would just fuck you up on the hardest mode.
Everyone does. The balance on everything outside of Critical is terrible and makes all the cool systems pointless.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Deep Jungle alone invalidates your argument that KH1 has superior level design.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i understand why there's people that likes kh1 more than the others, its a simple funny game, simple story. And no other kh game is like that. But personally i like kh2 more.

OP
OP
Joule

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
every single room in KH2 is almost exactly the same. sure some worlds in KH are bad but the overall level design is better than kh2

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I actually agree with op. Combat is better in KH2 but KH1 is the better package.

It is up there with like, Mario 64, OOT, Sonic Adventure and Banjo in terms of adventure-themed collectathons I happen to know inside and out.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Kh 3 and ddd are the only kh games with actual level design that isn't trash. Kh2 has good combat but the levels are all very similar, same with bbs.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
KH1 has really confusing level design in most of the areas. Monstro, Deep Jungle, and Atlantica are a nightmare to navigate if you're playing for the first time.

KH1 has its moments for sure but KH2 is the superior game.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see how KH2's combat is an improvement. KH1 felt weightier and more tactical, and early access to the guard/party mechanic actually made picking the Shield viable. KH2 is just this floaty mess of endless combos, even on Proud mode.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see how KH2's combat is an improvement. KH1 felt weightier and more tactical, and early access to the guard/party mechanic actually made picking the Shield viable. KH2 is just this floaty mess of endless combos, even on Proud mode.
Again, anything outside of Critical is really bad in KH2. It was honestly one of my most disappointing games ever until I played KH2FM.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Not with that camera, movement and save point distribution. The original is actually not a good game to me.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
2's level design is a lot more bland, but I prefer to 1's by a wide margin.

KH1 just actively frustrates me.

You get some okay to pretty good worlds like Traverse Town, the Cave of Wonders section of Agrabah, Hollow Bastion and End of the World.

Then you get stuff like Neverland, Wonderland and Monstro which just feel super cramped, and in Monstro's case, it feels oppressive in the late game when you have to go back for treasure chests and every room is just filled to the brim with Heartless. On top of everything looking nearly the exact same so it feels disorienting as fuck.

Deep Jungle and Atlantica are nightmares to navigate, and yes the water combat complaint is tired. But it's there and its annoying.

Halloween Town... is okay, but I hate the rooms before the big Oogie Manor tower.

KH2 may just be hallways and arenas but I'll take bland and inoffensive over convoluted and frustrating.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing KH does better than KH2 is the Colosseum. Then again KH2FM+ has the Cavern of rememberance and the data fights...

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the world design turning into a bunch of square rooms in kh2 is a huge downgrade imo

2 def feels more smooth to play but kh1 feels a bit bolder imo.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is my favorite, but KH2 really is a better game. There is a lot of clunky and obtuse game design in there that hasn't aged well. I do think the story in KH1 is the best out of the bunch though.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to finish KH1 but couldn't finish KH2. I thought 1 kinda sucked, but 2 was unbearable. I don't understand the love for that series in the least.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
KH1 camera and platforming may feel slightly archaic at times but I have never thought it sucks. I think the disney story overall is better in 1, however KH2s combat and worlds is awesome. I am one of the few that think it got better with each entry. I love KH3 as well for being a legit evolution of the ps2 games.

I think the villain story got a lot better in KH2 and even better with 3. I cannot dislike any of the games.

It goes without saying that KH2FM combat is the best in the series though.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've played Kh1 to completion like 4 times and love it, but I don't think I could disagree more. It's probably in the lower half of the series (worse than dream drop, bbs, 3 and most definitely 2). Also talking about "level design" as a pro is hilarious. Did the really shitty platforming in Tarzan's world or the maze that all looks the same in monstro really do it for you? The corridor simulator of the 2 isnt great(barring cave of remembrance of course), but it never made me hate the game at points, so it already feels like a step up.

One, in general, has some pretty big problems and is carried by the charm of the narrative and fairly fun combat. Story is also relative. It's probably one of the weakest imo, but that really depends on if you enjoy the bat shit insanity that later kingdom hearts gets into.

I'll give you that the pacing is among the better ones of the series that's not saying a whole lot though considering KH and ass pacing go together like peanut butter and chocolate

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I go back and forth on this in my head.

For so long Kingdom Hearts 1 was my favorite game of all time, because it had the better story and I enjoyed the Disney worlds more than 2. I'm also probably more nostalgic for KH1.
Ever since I played KH2 Final Mix on Critical Difficulty though, I have a new appreciation for that game and how finely tuned it is. Because of that it's pulled slightly ahead of KH1 for me, but that could change.

2 > 1 > 3 > BBS > CoM > 358/2 > Re:Coded > 3D

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've played Kh1 to completion like 4 times and love it, but I don't think I could disagree more. It's probably in the lower half of the series (worse than dream drop, bbs, 3 and most definitely 2).
tenor.gif

Dream Drop Distance is the only mainline game I think is rubbish (so excluding re:coded (the actual worst one)).
2 > 1 > 3 > BBS > CoM > 358/2 > Re:Coded > 3D
giphy.gif

Having just played through the entire series, I think KH1 is the worst by far. The level design it atrocious and feels like something out of a clunky N64 game.

edit: I did skip CoM and DDD though.

BBS > KH2 > KH3 > KH1
The main inspiration for KH1 was actually Mario 64:

MGxdA1i.jpg

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Combat is what matters most to me, so KH2FM critical takes that easily. The level design is pretty linear though. I definitely preferred KH1 more in that regard.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Having just played through the entire series, I think KH1 is the worst by far. The level design it atrocious and feels like something out of a clunky N64 game.

edit: I did skip CoM and DDD though.

BBS > KH2 > KH3 > KH1

BBS is the most underrated game in the series. It is the only game in which the story is enjoyable and the battle is hella fun in a "how can I break this game" kind of way.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Dream Drop Distance is the only mainline game I think is rubbish (so excluding re:coded (the actual worst one)).

Nah, Dream Drop may have been the one to first start giving the meme "kingdom hearts' story is stupid and over complicated" actual backing, but I had a super good time with it.

Pokemon is fun, broken flowmotion is fun, and some of the final bosses at the end stand up really well imo.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonderland has its charm (and the combat music is just the best) and you can forgive more or less that it's so short because it's the first real world, but O-EM-GEE Deep Jungle and Monstro suck donkey's ass. Even Agrabah is shit outside of the cave of wonders. Then in KH2 Agrabah has easily one of the best parts of the series (the flying part) and the cave is way better. KH2 is such an improvement in level design and movement.

And let's pretend OG Antarctica never happened pls

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. What it comes down to is that, even in the areas where 1 is "technically better", it's still trash.

Sure, the level design is more complex, but it's awful, so the corridors of 2 end up being better.

Sure, the garbage story may be better and more straightforward than the shit story of 2, but it's still a poorly written and directed garbage story, with some of the worst cutscenes I've ever endured.

What's the point in being better if I still want to skip these elements because they suck? KH II's combat, on the other hand, is fantastic, with some incredible boss fights. I actually think KH I is pretty fun, too, but it's not on the same league.

You need some extremely low standards in storytelling to consider that story worth more than the combat in II Final Mix.